PDA

View Full Version : Wine & Swine's Taste ... WOW!

timzcardz
11-18-2007, 11:06 AM
The wife and I went to Wine & Swine's (John's) Taste last night for our anniversary.

Overall thought ... WOW! What a wonderful dinner!

The menu, what can I say, it's different, and that is a good thing. My biggest dilemna when going out to eat is finding something that I don't make myself because I hate to pay 2 to 3 times what it would cost me to make for something that isn't as good as mine. Taste's menu left me plenty of choices fulfilling that criteria. Actually, there is only a couple of things on there that I make, and based on what I ate, I am certain that it would be better than mine.

To start I had the deviled eggs, salt cod fries, mini-peppers with Newsom ham, and the parsnip apple soup with blue cheese. I love deviled eggs and these were excellent, enjoyed the cod fries, and the mini-peppers were better than I could have anticipated.

The parsnip apple soup though was a real treat. I tried it with absolutely no idea what to expect, and it was incredible! Very tasty, smooth, and creamy.

My wife enjoyed the wild mushroom and smoked cheddar grilled cheese.

I wanted to order the wild king salmon, but they were out, so I went with the seared sea scallops with pumpkin and pomegranate. The scallops were perfectectly prepared and the pumpkin and pomegranate accompaniements were both interesting and delightful.

My wife had the roasted leg of lamb with celery root and wild mushrooms, and she thought that it was the best leg of lamb that she has had.

For dessert, I had the pumpkin and bourbon bread pudding with maple ice cream. Now I grew up on bread pudding that my grandfather made, so bread pudding has always had a special place in my heart. This was not my grandfather's bread pudding, but I am certain that my grandfather would have enjoyed it and taken to making it himself. My wife ordered the chocolate mousse, and that was very good, rich, and smooth as well. The espresso was also perfect.

And John practically force fed us their sweet potatoe pie too. My wife loves sweet potatoe pie and enjoyed it. I don't particularly care for sweet potatoes, or sweet potatoe pie, but I felt obliged to try a spoonful ... thrice! This stuff is GOOD!

As it turned out, we were at THE table where Poobah and Sharon sat for their anniversary a short while back. as I sat there it was almost as if I could feel the spirit of The Brethren.

The one downside - I didn't see a Brethren banner hanging anywhere! :-D

I am now looking forward to my next visit.

jpw23
11-18-2007, 12:27 PM
That all sounds great! We don't have anything that fancy around here.

SmokeInDaEye
11-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Glad you enjoyed yourself! He does need to get a brethren sign in there someplace, though there are some trophies and medals from the Battle of Brethren behind the bar if that counts!

motoeric
11-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I was there last Monday for lunch with my niece.

Everything was excellent then as well. Everyone involved with Taste Bistro should be proud. The service, decor, selection, presentation, food and ambiance are all first rate.

Eric

Bob S
11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Sounds like a great place. I live close by...I'll have to check it out soon.

SmokeInDaEye
12-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Had a small gathering of brethren last night. Always good to see friendly faces!

Sledneck
12-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Had a small gathering of brethren last night. Always good to see friendly faces!
what a jolly looking fellow. As usual always a pleasure visiting Taste. More short ribs and grilled cheeese please!!!

backyardchef
12-07-2007, 01:48 PM
That's a geat looking plaque, Phil! Any more pictures?

Man, I gotta get out to Taste......dang.

Sledneck
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
That's a geat looking plaque, Phil! Any more pictures?

Man, I gotta get out to Taste......dang.
Never been to Taste? You really don't know what you're missing. No brethren hat for you and anybody else who hasn't been to Taste. It is a Brethren requirement:biggrin:

MilitantSquatter
12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Wine & Swine and Ed Witt outdid themselves again.. Giving us some small samplings some tried and true along with some new.