PDA

View Full Version : washing raw meat?

watg?
11-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Along the lines of competition sanitation, what are your thoughts and or rules / suggestions on washing /rinsing your meat when it comes out of the package before begining prep work?

Neal
11-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I always rinse meat off in cold water prior to doing any work...just to get the slime off.

timzcardz
11-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Personally, I use Dawn! The lemon citris flavor adds something.

http://www.cal-lector.com/Brethren/2007-04-22/2007-04-22PrimeRib2.jpg

P.S. I'm kidding of course. I sometimes will rinse though.

Dale P
11-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I understand that you dont have to rinse the meat because cooking kills whatever lies on the surface but it makes me feel better about it.

michiana mark
11-13-2007, 11:06 AM
I understand that you dont have to rinse the meat because cooking kills whatever lies on the surface but it makes me feel better about it.

I agree.

ique
11-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Along the lines of competition sanitation, what are your thoughts and or rules / suggestions on washing /rinsing your meat when it comes out of the package before begining prep work?

Vinegar does a good job at cleaning off and killing any bacterial buildup on the meat after removing from the cryo. I find it particularly useful with a wet aged brisket to remove some of the musty odors and blood from the exterior.

The long cooking process though probably handles any sanitation concern.

smokincracker
11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I keep a spray bottle with one cup apple cider vinegar and 3 cups water.
I spray all my meat down well and then rinse with cold water and dry with paper towels prior to prepping.

If you try it once you will most likely make it a habit.

Eliminates any odor and kills any surface bacteria.
Eliminates the slime from the meat and makes it much easier to handle.

Pig Headed
11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I spray all my meat down well and then rinse with cold water and dry with paper towels prior to prepping.

Jimmy, this sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

BBQchef33
11-13-2007, 01:35 PM
i rince all meats with water once it comes out of the package , then give them a light rub down with cider or rice vinegar .

Smokin J
11-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I always rinse with cold water, and some times again with white vinegar.

Sawdustguy
11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
We always wash the blood and goo of of everything. Being we age briskets they sometimes look kinda funky and you have to do it.

SmokeInDaEye
11-14-2007, 01:25 AM

Great tip, Jimmy! Wouldn't have saved my nasty arse ribs at my last contest but makes a ton of sense. That's why you are, technically, da man.:biggrin:

ole'e
11-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I will sometime rince the brisket if it musky, other than that no.

ZBQ
11-14-2007, 10:47 AM

Good tip Jimmy. I usually just rinsed with cold water and patted dry with paper towels but I'm going to try this.

That slime sure makes it hard to handle a big ole butt or packer with gloves on.

DeanC
11-14-2007, 11:06 AM
A lot of the babybacks that I have purchased recently from Sams have a lot of bone and slime on them and I rinse them. I have never rinsed anything else, but now I will try the apple vinegar w/water, thanks.

Cabntmkr1
11-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I, like ZBQ, have been merely rinsing and patting dry.
The vinegar/water idea sounds like a better way to go.
Sometimes that slime is pretty nasty.:|
Great tips, guys!

jpw23
11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Ditto:biggrin:

bbqjoe
11-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't see any reason to rinse meats that have been cryovac'd. Unless it smells really bad, and then in that case it might be.
Every now and then I get a package of ribs that has a real strong sulfur smell to it.
BOOM! In the trash.

Jeremiah
11-14-2007, 05:50 PM
What technique do you guys recommend for rinsing/washing cryo'd meats in a competition setting? This is of course when you're lacking a sink.

I wouldn't want to put it near any of my wash tubs.

Spray it down with the hose :lol: ?

MilitantSquatter
11-14-2007, 09:24 PM
What technique do you guys recommend for rinsing/washing cryo'd meats in a competition setting? This is of course when you're lacking a sink.

I wouldn't want to put it near any of my wash tubs.

Spray it down with the hose :lol: ?

Post #'s 2 & 3 above from Chris and Jimmy seem like fine options.. the hose would work too.

Jeremiah
11-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks, I read them the first time around but was more interested in the type of vessel you use for containing the meat while rinsing. I should have made that more clear.

Aluminum pans?

timzcardz
11-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Aluminum pans?

That woiuld make perfect sense, and an easy cleanup.

KC_Bobby
11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Nothing says you can't wash the meat at home first. But of course, unless the comp is near your backyard you might want to wash it again when you get there. Possibly defeating the purpose of washing the first time.

StLouQue
11-15-2007, 12:17 PM

Excellent tip, Jimmy.
Also useful as a hair clarifier to remove nasty build-up, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend do both simultaneously.

Rookie'48
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I just glove up, splash some cheap white vinegar on the meat & kinda work it into the folds and crevices, then rinse with clear water. You don't need much of either vinegar or water, so a bus tub works @ a comp. Just rinse the tub out & use it for your wash tub.

Neil
11-18-2007, 05:34 AM
I've always just rinsed and pat dry with paper towels. However, I am going to start using the vinegar wash. Great tip, makes alot of sense.

thirdeye
11-18-2007, 06:24 AM
I have read that 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water is a really good fruit and veggie wash, so a meat wash makes sense. One of my cookbooks mentions the same thing for chicken. Another one calls for a lemon water rinse for chicken, I have tried that with big batches of legs and thighs. I just use my brining bucket.

Rick's Tropical Delight
11-18-2007, 05:27 PM
i saw this article about NOT washing turkey prior to cooking. makes sense to me, what do you think? click here (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/24/dining/24WASH.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

and do you guys wash everything at home to include steaks, or is it just butts, chicken, ribs, and brisket? i always only rinse poultry, but i've rinsed ribs and loins before

i like the spray bottle of water & vinegar idea

Plowboy
11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
I have read that 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water is a really good fruit and veggie wash, so a meat wash makes sense. One of my cookbooks mentions the same thing for chicken. Another one calls for a lemon water rinse for chicken, I have tried that with big batches of legs and thighs. I just use my brining bucket.

I've used a lemon wash for chicken.

Jeremiah
11-18-2007, 07:18 PM
and do you guys wash everything at home to include steaks, or is it just butts, chicken, ribs, and brisket? i always only rinse poultry, but i've rinsed ribs and loins before

For me, washing (rinsing would be a more accurate word) is limited to Poultry and cryo'd meats.

Just Smokin' Around
11-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Like many folks here, I rinse the juices off the meat, especially chicken and pork. If I'm trimming meat for a contest before hand, I don't like the idea of the juices sitting on the meat getting old and nasty.