PDA

View Full Version : Glove usage at comps

smoke-n-my-i's
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
My wife mentioned to me this morning when she was putting on a pair of gloves to finish packaging the meat for the freezer on what she observed at the comp this past weekend.

I was shocked....

She told me that one of the team members near us, put on a pair of latex gloves. But, never took them off all day long. He moved heating blankets, put his hands in mitts to remove racks from the cooker, cut meat, pulled foil out of the box to cover his table, etc.... on and on, and NEVER changed his gloves.

Did she see something wrong?????

What are your inputs on this.... and yes, he was one of the "big" boys.....

I suppose that is one way to cut expenses... only 1 box of gloves every 2 years....:twisted:

Bill

Bigmista
11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
You use gloves?

smoke-n-my-i's
11-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I sure do, and change them regular... Every time I finish with one type of meat, change gloves. If I touch something else, change gloves....

I probably use more than most, but I do change them often. I probably went through close to a box just this weekend.....not counting what my wife used.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I use gloves and change them constantly. Not only for food safety but keeps my hands cleaner. I buy them in a box o 100 and they dont last 2 comps.

MAsQue
11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I change gloves every time I change foods or touch a non-food item that might be a source of contamination.

A lot of people don't seem to have grasped the glove concept. I notice that when I go into a deli, it seems that half the time I order a sandwich, the counterperson will put on a pair of gloves, make the sandwich, bag the food, take my money, make change and start the next person's sandwich without ever taking the gloves off or changing them. They might as well be working with their bare hands.

AlabamaGrillBillies
11-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Ya I'm the same way, go through a ton of gloves at comps and cooking at home.

butts a fire
11-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I go through a fair amount of gloves at a comp also, I don't think I go through as many as some of you but I get mine in boxes of 500 I believe so its hard to tell for sure. I also use them at home all the time easier than trying to get rub out from under my finger nails.

jt
11-12-2007, 01:42 PM
A lot of people don't seem to have grasped the glove concept. I notice that when I go into a deli, it seems that half the time I order a sandwich, the counterperson will put on a pair of gloves, make the sandwich, bag the food, take my money, make change and start the next person's sandwich without ever taking the gloves off or changing them. They might as well be working with their bare hands.

Except that their hands are clean when they take them off.

TOPS BBQ
11-12-2007, 01:45 PM
When I took my food handler's class (and passed) the instructor said that glove wearing is being discouraged now days because is so common people stop washing their hands and even forget to change gloves.

I still wear my gloves, but sometimes I have to remind myself not to scratch my nose or touch my face.

Mitchelina
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
We're definitely glove users. We use the food handling gloves for contact with raw meats and go through a minimum of 5 pairs each during prep. Then we shed the gloves and clean everything up with soapy water and Lysol food surface disinfectant.

During cooking we switch to silicone or some other heat retardant material. During the boxing phase if I'm not using gloves I have a hand sink right next to me and wash constantly. My paranoid brain thinks that one of these days the county health dept is going to come strolling through a competition and a lot of people are going to be seriously embarrassed. Or some kid is going to get sick.

I really watch the way people keep their pits/cooking areas. Most people are pretty fastidious but there is some grossness out there... things not wiped down, food sitting out for hours, etc.

MAsQue
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I still wear my gloves, but sometimes I have to remind myself not to scratch my nose or touch my face.

The last food safety course I took before gloves were required in food service (...pardon me while my joints creak), the instructor was asked why smoking was a food contamination concern since cigarette ash is sterilized by the heat of burning. He said that the health department wasn't concerned about the ash (although the customer might well be), they didn't want people touching their lips and then handling food. Makes you wonder just what's going on in your mouth. :eek:

KC_Bobby
11-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Vinyl or latex? Does it matter?

I prefer to wear tight ones while prepping food, then switching to the loose poly one's when touching the meat after. For one, I can put cotton gloves under them so the heat isn't an issue and two, because they are easy to take off and on

Bentley
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
When I contact hepitatius B I will be more concerned about using them all the time!

we'll smoke u
11-12-2007, 03:35 PM
I will use a box about every two comps my self more if I have helpers there with me.

StLouQue
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
What a relief to read that gloves are being used. Thank you to those who cook with a conscience. As a newbie CBJ, I have become increasingly queasy lately thinking about the prospect of sampling food prepared by strangers with questionable, or at least uncertain sanitary practices. To that I'll add my concern about the origin of some competitors' rigs. While some individuals may not be concerned for their own health and safety, let alone that of their family, friends and relatives, I'd rather not eat food prepared in drums that formerly stored chemicals or petroleum products. The thought is enough to make me reconsider ever judging.

Excuse me while I go vomit.

HolySmoke
11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
being new to comps i've always used gloves, it just make clean up easier & more safe (when used properly). Farking around with meats, rubs, coals, wood, why not have some protection???

Big Mike
11-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I go through a box of 100 every 2 comps.

Rub
11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
It's a requirement (in the rules) in the FBA.

RevRuss
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
We use medical grade non-latex gloves from Sam's fpr prep & cooking. Go through a lot. Use cheap plastic gloves for servings, these are usually provided by event organizer.

chad
11-12-2007, 06:26 PM
A lot depends on how you work and what you are working on. Technically, you do not need gloves if propping food that is to be cooked. However, once it is cooked you must (should) wear gloves or handle the food with forks, tongs, etc.

I started wearing gloves during raw prep when in the restaurant business. I kept getting infections of the nail beds on my hands...probably from the poultry since I cut up at least two cases of chicken per day. Once I started wearing the gloves it cut down the infections, a lot.

It is, of course, good practice to clean everything between meat types (not necessarily between ribs and pork butts!) and definately after any poultry. Gloves do help keep your hands cleaner, though by the rules you should wash your hands before and after each gloving.

burnin butts
11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I've worked in food establishments most of my life. I've allways been a firm believer in washing your hands before and after working with food, then sanitizing them. I believe that gloves are a good thing, but do you think to wash your hands before you touch food with gloves on? I'll bet most of you don't. The gloves come from a factory where the equipment used to produce, and package them is run by humans.. Yes I said humans!!!
People with dirty hands and sores and warts and who knows what. And then there's the retailer touching the outside of the box!! where that kids hands have been I don't want to know!!!
I think that wearing gloves is good, I wear them just to make us politically correct, and take any doubt out of anyones mind about our food handling safety. But you still need to wash and sanitize to be sure.

Ford
11-12-2007, 06:52 PM
If you cook enough contests and watch people you'll see even the best makes mistakes with food handling. Some are just plain stupid however. I've seen stuff that was in violation of KCBS rules but if only I see it and it's 3 am it's hard to get a rep to watch them.

Eventually somebody will be seriously sick from a contest and at least in that area the Health Department will be visiting any contest. But they have minimal authority over competition as it's not vending to the public. Technically the judges volunteer to taste food the cooks prepare and understand that cooks are not following health department standards for vending.

For the record cooking alone I'll probably use 30 - 40 pairs of gloves each contest but I still make mistakes sometimes. Also have a bleach water bottle right by the prep table and use it often. Those Clorox wipes are good but not like bleach water. Just stick hands over the sink and spray and rub quickly and works pretty good. Dry with paper towel and on with gloves. For the steel table let it air dry.

Tinybud
11-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Always changing gloves, from one meat to the next, touch something other than what I'm prepping/boxing etc. Plus we use a 3 burner camp chief gasser to heat water with, keep three stainless 6 inch deep pans on there for a wash, rinse, and sanitize, so all the knives, cutting boards, and everything else can be washed down with hot water and be sanitized. I like using the regular latex exam gloves, the cheap plastic ones don't fit my hands, they just end up tearing, gotta get the XL exam gloves. Having the hot water clean station setup right next to our prep table makes everything real nice.

spicewine
11-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I've worked in food establishments most of my life. I've allways been a firm believer in washing your hands before and after working with food, then sanitizing them. I believe that gloves are a good thing, but do you think to wash your hands before you touch food with gloves on? I'll bet most of you don't. The gloves come from a factory where the equipment used to produce, and package them is run by humans.. Yes I said humans!!!
People with dirty hands and sores and warts and who knows what. And then there's the retailer touching the outside of the box!! where that kids hands have been I don't want to know!!!
I think that wearing gloves is good, I wear them just to make us politically correct, and take any doubt out of anyones mind about our food handling safety. But you still need to wash and sanitize to be sure.

All of the medical and food prep gloves on the market are sterilized and safe for use. I don't have a problem with slipping them on and going to work.

I am more concerned about the people who don't use them--- Go take a Whizz in front of us --- and ( without washing up ) procede to make a fattie----- then offer me a taste!!! NO THANKS!!! Sad but true!!

Rolling Smoke
11-13-2007, 04:59 AM
We go through about 50 pair per comp. After some of the things I have seen at comps over the years, I'll gladly stay on the competition side of the turn-in table.

n-2-que
11-13-2007, 07:16 AM
We use gloves at comps and even at home, Safety is in our hands and we try our best to make sure we are sterile and clean while prepping,cooking, and everything in between.

billm
11-13-2007, 08:30 AM
not changing them defeats the purpose of using them..and to try and save money on a 7 buck box of gloves by not using a lot of them after you have shelled out hundreds to cook in the comp is just ludicrous
and yes i have seen poeple who never change them

Greendriver
11-13-2007, 09:26 AM
I use gloves and change them often. What concerns me with this thread is the negative impact it is likely to have on our judges or potential judges. Is there a real concern here - hell yes. But it should be easy to make a big improvement by just letting the meat inspection include a short refresher on use of gloves, clorox, cooker cleanliness and I wouldn't have a problem in requiring these areas pass intial inspection before approved to continue at the contest. The "fire cleans the cooker good enough" is just not good enough if you ask me. The least teams can do is clean the grates on the cookers they use before each contest, yes it's a little bit of PIA but really it only takes minutes and not hours to do.

Sylvie
11-13-2007, 10:33 AM

Ditto, I agree. Nothing beats washing your hands frequently. Putting a clean pair of gloves on dirty hands defeats the purpose. Unless you first wash your hands and then put gloves on like a surgeon, at least one glove is contaminated by the unwashed hand. Not changing gloves between tasks is just as bad as not washing.

May I also add that clean fingernails are a must. Washing your hands is defeated by dirty nails with who knows what crusted in there.

Kung Fu BBQ
11-13-2007, 10:50 AM
When cooking at home I don't wear gloves....not all the time. At comps though I am a glove wearing crazy man. Cleanliness at comps is harder to control. My "handwashing station" is basically a 5 gallon drink cooler filled with hot water. The water flow is poor and I have to use one hand to keep the valve open so the valve would be crusted with rub and blood if I used it during prep.

Dale P
11-13-2007, 11:00 AM
We go through a bunch of gloves. No barehands on our food is our rule. Even when we garnish. Having 5 of us running around I bet we use a 150 pair a comp. We also have a sink set up which makes washing so much easier.

Gloves should be in the rules if it isnt. My 2 cents.

DawgPhan
11-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I use gloves and change them often. What concerns me with this thread is the negative impact it is likely to have on our judges or potential judges. Is there a real concern here - hell yes. But it should be easy to make a big improvement by just letting the meat inspection include a short refresher on use of gloves, clorox, cooker cleanliness and I wouldn't have a problem in requiring these areas pass intial inspection before approved to continue at the contest. The "fire cleans the cooker good enough" is just not good enough if you ask me. The least teams can do is clean the grates on the cookers they use before each contest, yes it's a little bit of PIA but really it only takes minutes and not hours to do.

My concern in a thread like this is the "I saw<insert big team name here> do something terrible." type of posts. where the person doesnt really give the whole story or thinks they saw something or was confused about something they saw...only to run home and post about it on the internet. Post about your own stuff and dont worry about what the guy next to you is doing or not doing. If half the stuff that I have heard about the way Myron Mixon handles his food was true then most of the BBQ Judges would already be dead. Certainly doesnt stop people from saying it though...even though they probably dont have any idea what the man really does or what he turns in. Wearing gloves is great, but they are but 1 step in the total food safety program.

DawgPhan
11-13-2007, 11:09 AM
We go through a bunch of gloves. No barehands on our food is our rule. Even when we garnish. Having 5 of us running around I bet we use a 150 pair a comp. We also have a sink set up which makes washing so much easier.

Gloves should be in the rules if it isnt. My 2 cents.

again gloves arent the cure all and they dont mean a thing if not part of a whole mess of other things to provide proper food safety...

Sawdustguy
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
We use sterile, surgical gloves. We use them when we prep and when we handle the finished product. We use them to prep, not to be politically correct or put on a show, we use them to protect ourselves. I for one, do not want to handle raw pork or poultry without gloves no matter how many times I wash my hands. I don't want to take a chance no matter how remote the chances are. We handle our finished product using gloves because that is what we would expect others to do if they served us. I think it is much safer this way.

ZBQ
11-14-2007, 05:27 AM
I use gloves when handling meats at comps and here at home. I don't use them for everything though. If I am prepping veggies (except hot peppers) I usually don't wear them. Maybe I should, not sure.

I prefer the nylon ones because I can get them on my hands easier than the latex or those god awful clear plastic ones that cling to your skin and tear like tissue paper. If I can find them, I like to use the nitrile ones becasue they are much more durable.

One thing I have always found to be interesting is that (at least in Ohio) it would be virtually impossible for your average home kitchen to ever pass the Food Police inspection to serve to the public. No matter how much and how thoughly you clean or how many gloves you use. Those who cater here in Ohio can't prep or prepare ANY food in their home unless they have a kitchen that is separate from the living quarters and has a separate entrance from the outside.

But yet we eat food from our home kitchens every day and feed family and friends from them just fine.

Beauracracy..........

Smokin Gator
11-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Before I did my first comp I NEVER wore gloves. Now I have gotten in the habit of wearing them nearly all the time even at home.

Dale P
11-14-2007, 07:15 AM
again gloves arent the cure all and they dont mean a thing if not part of a whole mess of other things to provide proper food safety...

Our team tries to keep everything clean, and serve up our turn ins just like we would want to be served. That is all we can do. I have seen videos posted where guys are building their turn in boxes without gloves and that disgusts me. Im with Jim from Rolling Smoke and will stay on the competing side of the contest.

ole'e
11-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Being a person of the medical field, I know the importance of wearing gloves and washing hands. Our food is never touched by a ungloved hand. During prep I wear gloves more to keep my hands clean than anything. I change gloves often and go through alot throughout the season. I am pretty anal about the meat holding temps <40 and >140, I do not want to get anyone sick because of my laziness. I do not think it is as important handling raw meat with bare hands as it is with the cooked product, as long as you are washing your hands appropriately. It always gags me to see people leave the John without washing their hands and then go handle meat.

tony76248
11-14-2007, 08:54 AM
I always take gloves with me, there are times when I don't use them but should. I end up washing my hands so often that they become chapped and dry. We go through anti-bacterial wash like crazy too, plus way too many rolls of paper towels. My suggestions....It is cheaper to use the gloves in the long run.

thunderbelly
11-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I go through a box at every cook, I use the blue non latex gloves and have heard the comment many times " you use a lot of gloves" but to me that's a good thing. If I touch anything other than what I originally touched with my gloves I change them. No cross contamination with anything.
Any one have an oppinion about hand sanitizers? would they add a bad taste to the meat? I think you would have to sanitize then wash the flavour off, pointlesss in using it then isn't it?

big blue bbq
11-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I know in TN the health department sort of discourages glove usage in restaurants because of what has been stated earlier. The thought that because you have gloves on makes everything ok. I work for Subway restaurants as a corporate rep. and see both sides. Some stores do everything pretty well from washing hands before each glove use, and some don't.
It amazes me that customers see it more a safety thing even if the employees are not doing it correctly.
At comps I try my best to wear the gloves and use the hand sanitizers. I haven't had the budget to buy the burners where I can keep three pans going at all times. I do use hot water for the dishes and keep up with that as good as possible and rub everything down with bleach between uses.
Here's a screwy thing in TN health department scores. If your sanitizing solution is too weak and would not do the job correctly it is one point off on a inspection. If it is too strong. It is 5 points off. Which is worse, not killing the bacteria or killing them too good? They say too strong can leave a chemical trail behind to get on the food.
All this to say, wash your hands often, where gloves when your supposed to, keep your cook area clean! I believe it is very difficult to make some one ill with your food as long as it is cooked thoroughly. How many restaurants do you go in with a bad health score. You still eat and no one gets sick. It happens rarely, but take the precautions to make sure it is not you causing it.

ZBQ
11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Ok, I have a question.

I said above that I use gloves when handling meat but is there any reason to use gloves just to prep veggies, other than just keeping your hands clean?

What I'm talking about is dicing up onions and such for a recipe. I never handle the meat while doing this and the meat has not touched the cutting board or knives that I'm using. I wash my hands and cutting boards frequently with anti-bac soap.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the need to waste gloves on veggies.

What do you think?

Sawdustguy
11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I know in TN the health department sort of discourages glove usage in restaurants because of what has been stated earlier. The thought that because you have gloves on makes everything ok. I work for Subway restaurants as a corporate rep. and see both sides. Some stores do everything pretty well from washing hands before each glove use, and some don't.
It amazes me that customers see it more a safety thing even if the employees are not doing it correctly.
At comps I try my best to wear the gloves and use the hand sanitizers. I haven't had the budget to buy the burners where I can keep three pans going at all times. I do use hot water for the dishes and keep up with that as good as possible and rub everything down with bleach between uses.
Here's a screwy thing in TN health department scores. If your sanitizing solution is too weak and would not do the job correctly it is one point off on a inspection. If it is too strong. It is 5 points off. Which is worse, not killing the bacteria or killing them too good? They say too strong can leave a chemical trail behind to get on the food.
All this to say, wash your hands often, where gloves when your supposed to, keep your cook area clean! I believe it is very difficult to make some one ill with your food as long as it is cooked thoroughly. How many restaurants do you go in with a bad health score. You still eat and no one gets sick. It happens rarely, but take the precautions to make sure it is not you causing it.

I am glad that you told me the Health Department in TN discourages wearing gloves because now I will make a note to never eat at any public eatery in TN. I think thats a bad policy because it only takes one employee forgetting to wash his hands to do the damage.

Yakfishingfool
11-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Here's a little trick I use in medicine. I frequently double glove. Then when I;m through with part of procedure but still need a clean glove I peel the first one off. My hands sweat terribly in the gloves so reapplying after just removing is a chore. Two gloves on each hand, always ready for two messes. Scott

G$
11-14-2007, 11:30 AM
I am glad that you told me the Health Department in TN discourages wearing gloves because now I will make a note to never eat at any public eatery in TN. I think thats a bad policy because it only takes one employee forgetting to wash his hands to do the damage.

I know it has been said before in this thread, but I think you might be missing the point. Simply wearing gloves offers no protection to you as a consumer. The food safety process is what matters. Someone wearing gloves that just wiped their nose, made change, picked up the soiled towel from the floor, and then prepared your food is not any cleaner than if the same person was not wearing gloves. In fact, it may give them a flase sense of security, and 'prevent' them from washhing their hands after those activities.

The important thing is proper sanitation and hand washing techniques, which CAN include glove usage, if employed properly.

I do agree, all things being equal, glove usage can be an effective piece of the clean food handling puzzle, but it is not a panacea.

Sawdustguy
11-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I know it has been said before in this thread, but I think you might be missing the point. Simply wearing gloves offers no protection to you as a consumer. The food safety process is what matters. Someone wearing gloves that just wiped their nose, made change, picked up the soiled towel from the floor, and then prepared your food is not any cleaner than if the same person was not wearing gloves. In fact, it may give them a flase sense of security, and 'prevent' them from washhing their hands after those activities.

The important thing is proper sanitation and hand washing techniques, which CAN include glove usage, if employed properly.

I do agree, all things being equal, glove usage can be an effective piece of the clean food handling puzzle, but it is not a panacea.

I see what you are saying and hand washing is important also. Gloves and hand washing should go hand in hand, but I don't want the chance of having an employee that doesn't wear gloves and forgets to wash his hands after going to the mens room, prepare my food. At least gloves will assue he does not put his dirty hands on my food.

big blue bbq
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
ah, there is the rub. If you don't wash your hands first, you dirty the outside of the glove with whatever he picked up in the bathroom, hence, gloves no good anymore. It is all about the washing. Like I said customers ( and employees) think that just because they put on the glove they are safe. I made all my employees wear the gloves, but also I was always harping about washing hands. Any time I saw them go for anything food related I would hit them with "have you washed your hands". It is a ongoing battle in the world of minimum or barely above labor.

Chris Nickelson
11-14-2007, 02:53 PM
we probably go through a 3/4 box or so per contest. Its only two of us cooking. Alot of times I will handle raw brisket or butt to get it out of the packages, but glove-up to trim or season. All cooked meat gloved.

I second that Eric, people not washing up after using the germ incubators known as "porti-potty's" is sick.
I'm a bit anal on that: washing ,then using the bleach spray on my hands to sanitze, then rinsing with clean water.

Jeremiah
11-14-2007, 05:09 PM
I often wear them when prepping at home in addition to comps. The big selling point of using them at comps is the lack of hot water hand washing stations.

Plowboy
11-14-2007, 05:21 PM
I've started buying them by the case now. Have a case of Large and a case of X-Large to put over the top of cotton gloves for handling hot stuff.

parrothead
11-14-2007, 06:44 PM
We go through them like crazy at the deli.. I always replace between cuatomers unless there is someone else to handle the cash. We buy in big enough bulk so they are actually about 4 cents each/ 8 cents a pair. Small price to pay considering the health of my customers. We even make it a point to put them on in front of the customer. Visual aspect goes a long way.

Gloves are cheap. There is no reason to keep wearing them.

I originally started wearing them for clean up, but now for health reasons. We do go through a good bit of them at comp. There is never a "spare the gloves because they are expensive" attitude.

Gloves are cheap insurance, and yes a good handwashing/sanitizing beforehand is important as well.

JD McGee
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I use them and change them religiously at comps and at home when prepping raw meats...and If I forget...my BBQ partner reminds me. :-P Thanks Brian! :icon_blush:

Plowboy
11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I even wear them at home when cooking BBQ for the family. I like clean hands.

that's hot
11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
i have a question concerning the gloves,if i use the latex gloves from ...say home depot,would they affect a person that is allergic to latex
and they ate the food i preped ,or would the heat /smoke negate that????

M

MilitantSquatter
11-14-2007, 09:48 PM
i have a question concerning the gloves,if i use the latex gloves from ...say home depot,would they affect a person that is allergic to latex
and they ate the food i preped ,or would the heat /smoke negate that????

M

Not sure about before it get's cooked, but I'd imagine you'd be wearing gloves afterward as well which could be more of a problem..

judges need to be careful if they have any allergies.. When they sign up to judge the open themselves up to potential problems even if the cooks follow standard procedures.

that's hot
11-14-2007, 09:56 PM
thanks Vinny,makes me wonder, anyone else have input on this?????

M

HoDeDo
11-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I like the blue or purple nitrile gloves. The Nitriles stand up to a good washing, and are thick enough that they do not tear when pulling skin off the ribs, cutting up chickens, etc. They are a little more expensive than latex, but again cheap insurance, as Greg and others have stated.

Todd has a good non-latex glove that he has started using as well. I bought a couple boxes out of his aforementioned case to try them... I may start buying by the case as well.

Great discussion.

that's hot
11-14-2007, 10:02 PM
thanks for your input Andy,good points also.

M

MilitantSquatter
11-14-2007, 10:05 PM
This report makes mention of a study that found latex proteins may be tranferred to food product during preparation... not much more detail though..

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDA_o6latex6-1_6355_7.pdf

that's hot
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
thanks Vinny that clears things up as far as i'm concerned,no latex in food would be best i think,i was afraid that was possible,i've been lucky so far because that's what i've been using. no more.

M

smoke-n-my-i's
11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks everyone. This has been some good reading.

I think we all agree on clean hands, and protection here.

I work at a hospital doing maintenance, so I am always washing my hands as well. It is a very good practice. I always (or try to) wash my hands before picking up gloves to put on. And I think it helps. Then when I take them off, I do it again.

I also think that being allergic to pork has me washing my hands, wrists, and lower arms more than I think I do.

I have also learned that regulations very from state to state. Which, I think is kind of crazy. Last weekend, I had a health department lady tell us we need to have the white hoses for water. This is the first I have heard of that one. Even for washing meat, and especially for drinking. I think she was hinting for us to go out and buy them as the store down the road carries them. Do you think I drove down there and bought hoses.... NOT..

Not when nobody else was. I would have had to gotten probably close to 400 feet to get the water to my tent.....

Back to gloves. I use a lot of the latex, and never really gave it a thought about people being allergic to it. I know my daughter can't wear the plastic style watch bands. They break her out like crazy.

I have had the chance to get a few pairs of the general surgery style gloves. Now those are nice..... and they are sterile, until you open them up and touch something that isn't.

Meat I use them, veggies I don't. My wife will sometimes for onions and hot peppers. So why do we use them on meat and not veggies? Are veggies not prone to our transfer of the same problems as meat? What about those dirty bathroom hands on veggies? Good question raised earlier and not commented on yet....

I would suggest, wear them in the kitchen all the time......

JohnMcD348
11-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I did my first comp this weekend and nearly went through an entire box of gloves in a 24 hour period. I did all my prep and other work there on site and I was wearing a pari of gloves the whole time. I wore them when I went to the bathroom, touched meat, blew my nose, etc. Even then, I was still washing them all the time.

I'm not exactly a clean freak but I guess it's the surgical background that has kinda instilled itself in me.

smoke-n-my-i's
12-14-2007, 06:44 PM
According to the Florida Babecue Association rules under disqualification letter f you can be disqualified for not using gloves while handling food.

I think this will be on the horizon for all events before we know it.

If you want to read their rules, go to:
www.flbbq.org/fba_rules.htm (http://www.flbbq.org/fba_rules.htm)

Interesting reading. They do follow the KCBS rules quite a bit, but have added and changed some, which are more strict.