PDA

View Full Version : Competition Categories

motoeric
11-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I was wondering what the favorite categories for the non-KCBS standards were.

Please answer the poll and feel free to post.

Poll One

Fruit
Dessert
Other (meaning other specific Dessert type item)

*Polls will follow regarding other specific categories (ie. Steak vs. Beef or Fish vs. Shellfish)

G$
11-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I picked other, primarily because it just sort of personally drives me crazy when cheesecake (that had nothing to do with on site BBQ set up and prep) wins the dessert category.

We haven't really been doing the 'other' catergories anyway, so take my answer with a grain of kosher salt.

Bentley
11-04-2007, 12:57 PM
I like anything butt, but when it is done, I wish it was more defined by the promoter, i.e. seafood, tri-tip.... I chose dessert because it is a "define" category.

barfly
11-04-2007, 01:21 PM
other, depending on what other categories are offered, fish is nice.. we did clams this year, i thought it worked out well but the judges disagreed, <g>

Q Haven
11-04-2007, 01:26 PM
For a 4th category I love a wide open chef's choice, open garnish, anything goes.

G$
11-04-2007, 02:25 PM
For a 4th category I love a wide open chef's choice, open garnish, anything goes. In your view, does it have to be cooked on site? That is where the "opens" get to me?

BBQchef33
11-04-2007, 03:18 PM
I'd like to add to the options.

Chefs Choice
Dessert
Chili
Sausage

FRUIT IMHO is just plain old lame. Either make it DESSERT, or make it OPEN FRUIT meaning let the chefs use some creativity, but a farking grilled apple, peach, or pineapple slice gets old quick.

pigmaker23
11-04-2007, 03:23 PM
i agree with poobah I'd like to add to the options.

Chefs Choice
Dessert
Chili
Sausage

FRUIT IMHO is just plain old lame. Either make it DESSERT, or make it OPEN FRUIT meaning let the chefs use some creativity, but a farking grilled apple, peach, or pineapple slice gets old quick.

smoke-n-my-i's
11-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I choice other.... I usually do not do the optional categories.... as I too have seen too much store bought stuff brought in and win.. where is the real make it there competition.... I do the four KCBS categories and let it go at that.

MilitantSquatter
11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not a big fan of dessert categories although I know they are a judges favorite.

From my experience, when dessert is a category, too many teams are submitting pre-purchased cakes/pies/pastries etc. It really ruins it for those who actually spend time under less than ideal conditions preparing dessert on site.

Same goes for sauce category with some just pouring our from a bottle vs. those making on site from scratch

I know that there are no guarantees in either case as to which will win.

I think Chef's Choice is a great category or Pizza or I I also liked what I saw at BBQ on the Farm/River where they do an Iron Chef. Every team gets a bag of three ingredients and all teams have to work with them for the turn in

Or how about a stuffed baked potato ?

G$
11-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Iron Chef. Every team gets a bag of three ingredients and all teams have to work with them for the turn in

Now THIS idea is one I would go for.

tonto1117
11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I chose other. For exanple, in Lebanon Tn this year they had a what's your beef open catergory, any cut of beef you would like to use...any garnish you would like. Put mine(6 individual pieces, as per there instructions) on a bed of grits diablo with some other '"garnishes". I just feel it gets the creative side going. Could be beef, seafood, or whatever, just as long as the rules are clearly defined.

Edit: Sorry Motoeric, just saw the asterick at the bottom of your post.:roll:

SmokeInDaEye
11-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Now THIS idea is one I would go for.

That would be a blast.

I can't understand dessert. It doesn't have to touch a grill in any way, shape or form? Shouldn't that be a baking contest?

MilitantSquatter
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
That would be a blast.

I can't understand dessert. It doesn't have to touch a grill in any way, shape or form? Shouldn't that be a baking contest?

Call it what you will, but we "baked" this monkeybread in a Weber Kettle at BBQ on the Farm sitting just over the grate sitting in a bunt pan on top of bricks.. I had no clue what monkeybread was, it was Sean's recipe and we had a blast making it from scratch. We placed pretty well, but I saw a lot of desserts that looked straight out of a box including donuts (not sure how you cook that in a kettle !!).

Sledneck
11-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I voted other

I would like to see a cevapcici(pronounced che-vap-chi-chi) category.(croatian sausage) :biggrin:

Sawdustguy
11-05-2007, 05:42 AM
I would like to see a catagory "Polish Food".

ique
11-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Definitely iron chef

Sledneck
11-05-2007, 06:43 AM
I would like to see a catagory "Polish Food".
Kielbasa contest sounds like a great idea
"Jedzcie, pijcie i popuszczajcie pasa"

watg?
11-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Its hard to beleive that people are submitting store bought or pre made items, I think which ever catagory is offered, there should be some stipulation that the items must be fully prepared on site.

timzcardz
11-05-2007, 08:04 AM
I like Poobah's "Open Fuit" idea.

I know my teenage boys (my harshest judges) get real excited when they see me start preparing fruit for the grill, and by the time I'm done it usually involves a few fruits, one grilled, one as a topping sauce, one fresh, and some freshly whipped cream. Garnish with a mint leaaf or two and the kids are eating healthy and thinking its a treat.

Sledneck
11-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Definitely iron chef
I second the motion

MoKanMeathead
11-05-2007, 08:22 AM
We usually only do the 4 main KCBS categories. If there is a sausage category we may through on a fattie if we remember in time.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
11-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I liked doing the Iron Chef in Yardley. Problem was the top several did not highlight the 3 ingredients like the T.V. show requires. I took 10th behind turn ins that there is no way you could tell there was Talipia, corn or sweet potatos in it. That is what Iron Chef is, you are give a "main" ingredient to use and it must be highlighted in the dish. if you highlight limes you loose points big time as you did not showcase the main items. Its like turning in a Twinkie and winning.

Pig Headed
11-05-2007, 09:03 AM
I like chefs choice, and the iron chef idea sounds like a good one.

willkat98
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I think Jerky might be an interesting category to judge.

Sylvie
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I like the dessert category but I think the rules must preface that they are cooked/mixed/baked/frozen on site with the use of a grill/smoker for some phase of the prep. To prepare on site does not mean to take it out of a store bought package and put it on a fancy plate. Similar to the official checking of the meats before BBQ prep, the other category maybe shoud also be checked to verify they were not prepared before the comp.

I also like the Iron Chef idea but fear I wouldn't have enough staples (e.g. butter, milk, etc) with me to prepare compared to competitors in big RVs with kitchens.

LindaM
11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Dessert is always the judges favorite, however I don't see that as a cooking challange, as most of you already said, there are many store bought products and how so we tell.

Iron Chef started at the Liberty Bell in 2003 in PA. It was such a success that Wildwood now does it as well as BBQ on the Farm, formally BBQ on the River. It is a real challange when you as a cook receive the ingredients at the cooks meeting and depending on the contest either have a few hours or until the next day to create something. No store purchased items at this turn in. At what creativity. Open garnish by all means. Organizers can get local supermarkets to donate the product and prize money. IT is a pretty easy sell.

Roo-B-Q'N
11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I voted other

I would like to see a cevapcici(pronounced che-vap-chi-chi) category.(croatian sausage) :biggrin:

Well who wouldn't??????:rolleyes:

I voted other. Just like the others have said, should be made on site.

ModelMaker
11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I think IA State Championships in Marshalltown had an Iron Chef and "Dammit Andy" played and scored. Maybe he'll chime in.
ModelMaker

Transformer BBQ
11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Our team I think struggles with a grilling category the first time we see it, regardless of what it is... but that is getting better. The only thing we ever have prepared prior to an event is sausage; everything else is made on site (including a blueberry cheesecake/crust cooked in the lang). I think in NEBS we see a lot more of this than in other regions, this year for example we have seen:

Vegetable, beef steak, sausage, fish, fish fillet, sirloin steak, pizza, blueberries, lobster, scallops, fruit, chefs choice + beer sauce, pork chop, chicken wings, pork tenderloin...

and we didn't even compete in the 900 category event in CT...

Sawdustguy
11-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Dessert is always the judges favorite, however I don't see that as a cooking challange, as most of you already said, there are many store bought products and how so we tell.

Iron Chef started at the Liberty Bell in 2003 in PA. It was such a success that Wildwood now does it as well as BBQ on the Farm, formally BBQ on the River. It is a real challange when you as a cook receive the ingredients at the cooks meeting and depending on the contest either have a few hours or until the next day to create something. No store purchased items at this turn in. At what creativity. Open garnish by all means. Organizers can get local supermarkets to donate the product and prize money. IT is a pretty easy sell.

Linda,

Post in the Cattle Call section and introduce yourself.

LostNation
11-05-2007, 05:21 PM
I typically don't like the grilling contests on Saturday. I don't mind a few extra categories on regular turn in day.

My favorite is how they do Wildwood. On Friday night they give you one main Iron Chief ingredient. The turn in is totally open garnish, must fit in a full foil pan. The last few years have been turkey,shrimp, pork loin, eggs and last year some kind of fish. There is also a desert category that the team likes to cook. I like how they do the IC money at Yardley. Each team pays an additional $25 to enter the Iron Chief and the winning team gets all the cash.

Muzzlebrake
11-05-2007, 07:34 PM
I would like to see a whiskey category

willkat98
11-06-2007, 08:38 AM
I would like to see a whiskey category

Now that, would be cool to see cooked on site.

lunchlady
11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
as most of you already said, there are many store bought products ....

Now that just bums me out. I would hate to think that whatever dessert I cooked, which we always cook ONSITE with charcoal, by the way,got beat out by something that was bought.

That right there should be key, I think, in any BBQ/grilling competition category, but I can see the problem...how would you know?

Transformer BBQ
11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
If I saw someone unwrapping something from a store to be turned in... and I think I speak for most of NEBS teams... it wouldn't go unmentioned.

Now that just bums me out. I would hate to think that whatever dessert I cooked, which we always cook ONSITE with charcoal, by the way,got beat out by something that was bought.

That right there should be key, I think, in any BBQ/grilling competition category, but I can see the problem...how would you know?

tonto1117
11-06-2007, 09:42 AM
If I saw someone unwrapping something from a store to be turned in... and I think I speak for most of NEBS teams... it wouldn't go unmentioned.

Totaly agree...what the heck is the point then. Last time I did a dessert I did Pumpkin Creme' Brulee on site...took 3rd to a 1st carmel cheesecake I believe....hmmmmm I wonder:confused:

lunchlady
11-06-2007, 10:04 AM
here are some... best showing has been a coupla 5ths. :-D

SmokeInDaEye
11-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Nice work, Michelle! Personally I hate desserts (don't eat them, don't cook them), but those look amazing!

goodsmokebbq
11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
mmm... Cheesecake Factory for lunch today!

tonto1117
11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Nice work, Michelle! Personally I hate desserts (don't eat them, don't cook them), but those look amazing!

Ditto on the desserts Michelle, yummo!!!....I'll take Clint's share:biggrin:

watg?
11-06-2007, 11:50 AM
great looking stuff, and all baked on site...amazing! please pass me one of each!

TOPS BBQ
11-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I like anything butt, but when it is done, I wish it was more defined by the promoter, i.e. seafood, tri-tip.... I chose dessert because it is a "define" category.

No...you choose dessert, because your mom & sister kick serious arse in that category.:lol:

I would prefer there be a separate "dessert" comp from Seafood or steak. Just to difficult to evaluate the differences. Also, I believe anything but should be required to be "cooked" or "Baked" on-site, using a charcoal/wood/pellet cooker. No ovens or microwaves.

Sawdustguy
11-06-2007, 02:16 PM
I wonder if it going to be a NEBS sanctioned grilling contest do we need to stick to some of the more conventional grilling catagories. Shellfish would be a neat catagory especially for the judges.

butts
11-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Shelby, NC ATB:
Seafood
Meat
Vegetable
Soup/Stew/Gumbo
Dessert
Fowl

Defined but still "creative".