PDA

View Full Version : Flat

Rub-A-Dub
10-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Do you have to cook a whole brisket or can you cook just a flat for a comp? All I can find here are flats. Juat asking. Is their another name for a brisket like tri tip and such? How would it be labeled in the store?

Jaberwabee
10-26-2007, 01:59 AM
You can cook a whole or just a flat. A tri-tip is different. If you are going to turn in slices for a KCBS, look for a thick flat.
Just my .02.

Roo-B-Q'N
10-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Fremont Meat Market in Fremont, Nebraska is our meat sponsor for comps (shameless plug mod) . All they have are flats. Look for a fairly large flat, one that will still be fairly good sized after trimming some hard fat and such and cut on the bias after cooking.

FatBoyz
10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
try sams club thats where i get mine thay always have them and there whole packers

Edited to correct a "leading" spelling error.
TIM

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-26-2007, 05:25 PM
this is heading to the wood pile quick!!

the Sam's around here only have flats, Wally world has whole packer trim briskets during the summer.

The Pickled Pig
10-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Is their another name for a brisket like tri tip

I can't remember cooking a tri-tip when I didn't at least ask myself the proverbial "what if"...

Bbq Bubba
10-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Do you have to cook a whole brisket or can you cook just a flat for a comp? All I can find here are flats. Juat asking. Is their another name for a brisket like tri tip and such? How would it be labeled in the store?
Flat's are just fine, just be sure not to get one that's been completly trimmed of fat. That's how the flat's come around here, gotta have some fat on it or you'll have leather! :sad: