PDA

View Full Version : Winter Judging &/or Cooking class interest: NY/LI/NJ/PA/MD/NEBS areas ???

BBQchef33
10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Just getting a feel for what kind of interest we would have for a cooking class and judging class in the NY/Long Island Area during our off season.

Respond Via Poll, check all that apply.

Sledneck
10-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I voted other ummmm Phil Rizzardi's Class?

White Dog BBQ
10-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I'd love to see some cooking classes (only 4 hours away from me and have family on LI so the trip isn't a big deal).

Personally, I think the judging class is useless. There was almost no objective judging criteria offered at the class I attended this summer (Bel Air, MD). Most of the time was spent on how to disqualify an entry. As for what to judge the meat on, we were essentially told it is all subjective. Quite disappointing.

Sledneck
10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Maybe these can be added to the poll.

Would you be interested in a one day demo by one of the pros?
Would you be interested in overnight class with a pro ,hands on do your own meat?

BBQchef33
10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Formats up to the instructor. I'm just checking on the levels of interest to get a class or 2 together.

MilitantSquatter
10-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Depending on when it takes place... it could be really farking cold....

Sledneck
10-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Depending on when it takes place... it could be really farking cold....
A hall could be rented

Yakfishingfool
10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm up for a class or two....

Sawdustguy
10-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I would love to attend the Rod Grey/Johnny Trig Class locally. It takes into account people who own stick burners as well as more modern cookers.

Sledneck
10-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I would love to attend the Rod Grey/Johnny Trig Class locally. It takes into account people who own stick burners as well as more modern cookers.
I know you get 2 for different classes at once but $500 is steep

Slamdunkpro
10-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I'd play!

WannaBeBBQueen
10-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Count me in too! I have a few friends who are not on the board that would like to participate in the judges class as well. (at least 5 people):mrgreen:

Classes would be fun too!!

rbsnwngs
10-26-2007, 07:02 AM
I'm in i think

Muzzlebrake
10-26-2007, 07:51 AM
I would do either the I Smell Smoke or a cooking class with someone else. While the Dr BBQ class was great, dont think I would want to do it again.

Dont think I would do a judging class. Are there classes for judges other that the certification course?

BigBarry
10-26-2007, 08:36 AM
I would do either the I Smell Smoke or a cooking class with someone else. While the Dr BBQ class was great, dont think I would want to do it again.

Dont think I would do a judging class. Are there classes for judges other that the certification course?

I voted for Dr. BBQ and I smell smoke but I would rather try a different class from Ray's. Learned a whole lot but would want to try another perspective.

goodsmokebbq
10-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Rod Grey/Johnny Trig or Mike Davis sound interesting to me. Count us in

Sledneck
10-26-2007, 08:52 AM
If their was a way to reduce the price for Rod and Johnny i would be interested or steve would be also at the top of my wish list

FatBoyz
10-26-2007, 09:10 AM
for 2500 you can have Mike Davis give you a privat lession

Jorge
10-26-2007, 09:13 AM
I wanted to take classes from Ray and Steve this year, but had conflicts come up for both. I learned a lot from Ray at the Royal, but would still like to take his class and learn what he has to share when he's not on the clock. The same goes for Steve and I Smell Smoke!!, they have been one of the most consistent teams in the country and their results speak for themselves.

Pig Headed
10-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Rod Grey/Johnny Trig or Mike Davis sound interesting to me. Count us in

I agree. I would like to take a Mike Davis or Johnny Trigg/Rod Grey course.

Porky
10-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I voted for judging class & I Smell Smoke cooking class but would love to see Trigg/Davis class. Dr was great and I learned alot but different cooks would be great.

motoeric
10-26-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure if you are ONLY looking for feedback via the poll, but I have a long list of spectators from Sayville that expressed an interest. If you plan on moving ahead with this I will be happy to contact them and gauge their interest.

Eric

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-26-2007, 04:18 PM
If a judging class was offered in Central Pa I would go as well as any notable cooking class, provided it was geared twards comps.

Jeremiah
10-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I voted for the top 3 and would definitely attend any of the offerings schedule permitting.

MilitantSquatter
10-26-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure if you are ONLY looking for feedback via the poll, but I have a long list of spectators from Sayville that expressed an interest. If you plan on moving ahead with this I will be happy to contact them and gauge their interest.

Eric

Just my opinion but I don't think the average specatator would benefit from a class geared toward competition cooking. These people would more likely benefit from an "Intro to BBQ" type class that is not partially focused on timelines, impressing judges etc. . Otherwise the class could get get bogged down in basic questions that an intermediate cook or beyond would already know.

I know if I spent several hundred $$ on a class hoping to greatly improve my contest performance, I'd get frustrated from if there were more than a few newbies asking FAQ type questions.

Maybe a future opportunity would be to conduct a BBQ Brethren 101 class for the local public and any remaining profits to go to charity.

Sled still got me interested in the of doing a BBQ cook for the needy on LI around the holidays based on his Island Harvest collection.

Sawdustguy
10-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Just my opinion but I don't think the average specatator would benefit from a class geared toward competition cooking. These people would more likely benefit from an "Intro to BBQ" type class that is not partially focused on timelines, impressing judges etc. . Otherwise the class could get get bogged down in basic questions that an intermediate cook or beyond would already know.

I know if I spent several hundred $$ on a class hoping to greatly improve my contest performance, I'd get frustrated from if there were more than a few newbies asking FAQ type questions.

Maybe a future opportunity would be to conduct a BBQ Brethren 101 class for the local public and any remaining profits to go to charity.

Sled still got me interested in the of doing a BBQ cook for the needy on LI around the holidays based on his Island Harvest collection.

While I agree that would be true for those who wish to do backyard BBQ only, I think that there were a number of people interested in competing. I think that is what Eric is refering to. If I were starting out again, I would have given my eye teeth to have attended a class before we set out. It would be selfish not to have newbies in the class. We all had to start somewhere.

G$
10-26-2007, 08:58 PM
for 2500 you can have Mike Davis give you a privat lession

That does not sound quite as fun as a class well attended by Brethren.

(And i dont need any help with lesions. :) )

SmokeInDaEye
10-26-2007, 09:56 PM
While I agree that would be true for those who wish to do backyard BBQ only, I think that there were a number of people interested in competing. I think that is what Eric is refering to. If I were starting out again, I would have given my eye teeth to have attended a class before we set out. It would be selfish not to have newbies in the class. We all had to start somewhere.

What in the heck are "eye teeth"? I'll give mine up for nothing.

Westexbbq
10-26-2007, 10:06 PM
What in the heck are "eye teeth"? I'll give mine up for nothing.

The eye teeth are the canines. To 'give one's eye teeth' is along much the same lines as 'I would give my right arm for...'

Out of curiosity, they say it is (probably) because they are located under the eyes. We have 8 incisors, which are the teeth between the eye teeth, 4 above, 4 below.

motoeric
10-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Allow me to rephrase. I was witness to a number of spectators AT THE JUDGING TENT. Numerous people there expressed an interest in judging in the future. If Phil would like, I would be happy to contact these people letting them know that a JUDGING class is being planned.

Eric

Cue's Your Daddy
10-27-2007, 07:38 AM
rod grey,johnny trigg or Mike Davis would be cool. Hey, a little off topic but with the success of Slednecks Island Harvest donations at Sayville, what if we try to do a Thanksgiving cook for the needy. Even
if its not for Island Harvest, but what if we see if churches or food pantrys would be interested, and if we get a lot of people interested, we can do more then one location, spread out across Long Island. I would assume the people who need the food the most would get a kick out of having smoked Turkeys and such instead of plain old oven cooked. Maybe put a smile on someones face, even if for just one day.

Sledneck
10-27-2007, 07:55 AM
rod grey,johnny trigg or Mike Davis would be cool. Hey, a little off topic but with the success of Slednecks Island Harvest donations at Sayville, what if we try to do a Thanksgiving cook for the needy. Even
if its not for Island Harvest, but what if we see if churches or food pantrys would be interested, and if we get a lot of people interested, we can do more then one location, spread out across Long Island. I would assume the people who need the food the most would get a kick out of having smoked Turkeys and such instead of plain old oven cooked. Maybe put a smile on someones face, even if for just one day.
i have discussed this with a few others and there is interest. I will be in Florida thanksgiving week. Not that it is ever enough but i think alot of effort and donating does seem to happen at thanksgiving time so christmas would be good as well. It would great for you guys to do, I am in for a Christmas time one..

Lazy Dawg
10-27-2007, 08:42 AM
How bout a stamina training class?? I now know why you all refer to this hobby as a sport. After my first comp in Sayville I feel like I ran a farkin marathon. My arse is just starting to come up off the floor after a week.:mrgreen:
We would be interested in a local class if it was affordable.

LD

Jeremiah
10-27-2007, 08:55 AM
The NEBS class that I attended last fall was IMO a nice blend of intro to bbq with plenty of talk about getting into competition as well. There were demos covering brisket, ribs, pulled pork, turkey, chicken, few other things as well as discussion of different cookers, philosophies, compeition. Nothing hands on, but overall very informative and inspiring. I think something like this is great and would benefit a lot of people, there are also many people here who are qualified to organize and present something of this nature.

I personally would like something more along the lines of a Dr. BBQ or I smell smoke class geared solely towards improvement in competition.

Jeremiah
10-27-2007, 08:57 AM
i have discussed this with a few others and there is interest. I will be in Florida thanksgiving week. Not that it is ever enough but i think alot of effort and donating does seem to happen at thanksgiving time so christmas would be good as well. It would great for you guys to do, I am in for a Christmas time one..

Busy on thanksgiving day as well but would definitely offer my help for Christmas.

Yakfishingfool
10-27-2007, 09:50 AM
There are really three level of BBQ'ers to talk to here. First is the person interested in becoming a certified judge. Maybe does some home stuff but is more interested in judging. The second is the back yard enthusiast. This person would be looking for tips and skill to improve their backyard cooking skills. The third is the competitor. The enthusiast with a death wish ;) that wants advanced techniques, information of meat selection, preparation, presentation. Is there a way to look at creating a series of educational events that focuses on those venues?

nancee
11-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I could pay for these guys. They are tops on my list also

nanceeIf their was a way to reduce the price for Rod and Johnny i would be interested or steve would be also at the top of my wish list

lunchlady
11-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I think Rod and Johnny would be great around here. You get what you pay for and they are worth the $, in my opinion.

NEBS is putting on a demo-type cooking school (sat) in conjunction with a judging school (sun) in Maynard, MA coming at the end of April. I know it's far away, but that's what NEBS has going right now. I believe it is a beginners class. we are also working on a local hotel discount for that weekend for those of you who are far away. keep checking the website for more details.

now if there was a lunchmeat class... there's your 'stamina' education :> kidding.

ique
11-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I'd would attend a Trigg/Pellet Envy class in the Northeast.

Pig Headed
11-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I emailed them and Rod said that they are considering one around April/May on the east coast. He said that he would email me if it comes to fruition. I will keep all posted.

Muzzlebrake
11-11-2007, 07:18 AM
We were talking to Poobah about this yesterday at Hill Country

they are considering one around April/May on the east coast.

It would be alot easier to convince them if we have a full class. Personally I would rather do something a little earlier in the year than April/May.

Jeremiah
11-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I'd be willing to provide a good faith deposit in order to show serious interest if that's what it's going to take.

Pig Headed
11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Their reasoning was to hold one around the time of a comp which they would enter, either the weekend before or after. Not sure if they have a specific area in mind. I would be willing to place a deposit also.

Smokin J
11-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I would be interested in any of these classes. Other than trial & error, the only training I have is the BBQ Brethren School of Post Reading.

WannaBeBBQueen
11-12-2007, 06:23 AM
I would gladly put up a deposit for a minimum of 5 people:biggrin:

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
11-12-2007, 12:05 PM
We would also attend a Trigg/Pellet Envy class

Smokeneyes
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm in for both. I am new to this and would love the chance to pick some of your brains. I would also be handing out the flyer for the May 17, 2008 Keansburg Fire Co#1 "Smoke Condition" BBQ cook off. But enough shameless plugging. I just got my starter stuff from KCBS so, my backyard hobby has now become an obsession so anything I can learn is a plus.

Muzzlebrake
11-12-2007, 07:19 PM
I would hope the deposit thing isnt really needed...........I dont think it would be an issue, if I remember we sold out the Dr BBQ class in no time

Sawdustguy
11-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Poobah,

Any thoughts yet?

BBQchef33
11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
too early.

We will have something.
The good Dr and I have allready spoke, we need 20 for a class, so anyone interested in that should speak up since we allready had him visit us once.

I will be calling Steve(yankeeBBQ) and Trig and/or Rod to see if something can be worked out, but it wont be around any contests, which may be a deal breaker for Rod.

Rod u out there?

Sawdustguy
11-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I would have have to agree that Steve Farrin would be a great choice also. I am not taking anything away from Steve but seeing both sides (New Tech vs Old Tech) with Rod and Johnny Trig would be interesting also. I guess I would be happy with either class. Maybe we could do a Newbie Comp Class and a Intermediate Comp Class.

rookiedad
11-15-2007, 07:25 AM
what days and times do lessons usually fall? i work fri, sat, and sun but would be interested in anything that takes place in the evening. even if i could just get to part of it.

phil

Sledneck
11-15-2007, 07:28 AM
what days and times do lessons usually fall? i work fri, sat, and sun but would be interested in anything that takes place in the evening. even if i could just get to part of it.

phil
Tyoically set up like a contest, saturday afternoon to sunday. If it is a one day demo then its usually saturday starting from 9:00AM all day

Porky
11-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I am definitely interested in any classes that may be given. Poobah, please put my name on the list.

Jeremiah
11-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Tyoically set up like a contest, saturday afternoon to sunday. If it is a one day demo then its usually saturday starting from 9:00AM all day

You stay there all night?

Sledneck
11-15-2007, 12:01 PM
You stay there all night?Yes
we did

WannaBeBBQueen
11-15-2007, 03:09 PM
You stay there all night?

yes and it was a lot of fun:biggrin:!!

rookiedad
11-15-2007, 05:28 PM
my brother and me will be there. he will come for the whole thing and i will be there at night if this is the kind of class that will be going on. thanks.

phil

White Dog BBQ
11-15-2007, 08:29 PM
I'd definitely be interested in a class with Dr. BBQ.

Smokin J
11-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm definately interested in the Dr. BBQ class too.

BBQ_MAFIA
11-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm intrested in doing almost any of the classes. Just let me know when and where.