PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio BBQ Recommendations

bittertruth
10-25-2007, 08:06 AM
It has been a long time since i have been to SA so i need some recommendations of where the best BBQ can be found. Any help will be appreciated.

THANKS.

Jorge
10-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Zilla would know better than I, but...

The original Rudy's off of I-10 NW of town. Texas Pride off 1604 on the E/SE side of town. Grady's?

ZILLA
10-25-2007, 08:27 AM
OK, unfortunatly there are no world class BBQ joints here in SA. However there are a few that are pretty good.

Texas Pride BBQ (Far east side of Bexar county, Maybe the best Q in the area...maybe)

Rudy's BBQ (Several to choose from and good too)

Bucket Brigade BBQ (Far north Nacogdoches Rd. New and pretty good)

Harmans BBQ (Down town on the river and the original 30 miles east in Cibolo. Hit and miss quality)

BBQ Station (Not so good)

Joints within driving distance

Luling City Market - 1hr or so east of SA just off I-10 (Renowned)

Fushacks BBQ - San Marcos 40 N of SA (Very old joint, unknown quality)

The Lockhart 4 - 1:20min NE of SA (All Renowned)
Kreitz
Smitty's
Blacks
Chisolm Trail

When are you coming to town?

bittertruth
10-25-2007, 08:40 AM
When are you coming to town?

Unfortunatly i am not going to be in SA any time soon. this is for a friend of mine that just moved there. Thanks for the info. :lol:

ZILLA
10-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Glad to help. :wink:

bbqjoe
10-25-2007, 01:26 PM
I had a guy once come in. He saw the smoke ring on his brisket and wanted to know why it was raw. I explained the smoke ring to him.
He said he ate all the time at a famous BBQ place in SA, and they ain't got no smoke ring!!!!
(He thought I was full of it)

backyardchef
10-25-2007, 03:11 PM

But it didn't have anything to do with the smoke ring though....right? :wink::twisted:

JeffW
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Also in San Antonio be sure to check out Smokehouse BBQ at Roland and Rigsby. Great BBQ, not so great area of town. Well worth the adventure.

ZILLA
10-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Yes, I agree. It's been a while (10 years) but the food was great. I heard they sold so I never went back.

jgh1204
10-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I had a guy once come in. He saw the smoke ring on his brisket and wanted to know why it was raw. I explained the smoke ring to him.
He said he ate all the time at a famous BBQ place in SA, and they ain't got no smoke ring!!!!

I bet he was talking about Bill Miller's which is a large chain in the area and from what I have heard, they cook all the bbq at a central location.

It may be famous, but it is not good.

For the money, convenience, etc, the cooked brisket at HEB is actually pretty good.(but only for those who cannot cook their own).

bittertruth
10-26-2007, 07:44 AM
I bet he was talking about Bill Miller's which is a large chain in the area and from what I have heard, they cook all the bbq at a central location.

It may be famous, but it is not good.

For the money, convenience, etc, the cooked brisket at HEB is actually pretty good.(but only for those who cannot cook their own).

I truley miss the HEB. I also remember that their seasoned fajitas were awesome.

Arlin_MacRae
10-26-2007, 08:32 AM
And their tamales at Christmas!