PDA

View Full Version : Organizing new comp in Ohio, need your help

ZBQ
10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey Guys!

I just got done talking to a friend of mine and we are going to be organizing a comp here in Chillicothe Ohio on a fruit farm with a MAJORLY HUGE orchard. They grow just about any type of fruit you can think of and the farm has basically been in the family since 1890. They have a retail store front for their fruit, cider and other "farmers market type" products at the site.

I want to organize this with the enjoyment of the cookers in mind and want to do the best job possible, so I will need all the help I can get.

I am posting pics of the venue and a link to the website for the venue as well.

The first thing I will need is a name for this comp.

"Smoke in the Orchard" came to mind but I know you guys can come up with something better than that.:-D

We are looking at mabey late May or early June for a date. Not set yet.

I welcome any and all comments, concerns and thoughts about the venue or things you would like to see in a comp.

We will have water and electric service from the white buildings that you see in the pics. Electric will be on 3 different outlets with each having a 20 amp breaker. Water will be through a hose running from the building. The building is where the press their own cider. They already have Porta Potties as you can see in the pics. The farm is about a mile or so south of Chillicothe on a well marked state highway. Shopping (Walmart,Krogers and most anything you would need) is roughly 3-4 miles away and not too hard to find. There are 3 or 4 decent hotels within 3-4 miles too. Ash, grease, gray water and trash disposal is not a problem. Walk in freezer to store ice for the cookers. LOTS of room to spread out.

Anyways, here are the pics and a link to the Hirsch Fruit Farm (http://www.hirschfruitfarm.com/).

motoeric
10-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Sounds like you have a lovely space to hold the event and are off to a great start with planning. If you want to send me an email I'll reply with the expense outline I'm working on.

Good luck!

Eric
saberinc@optonline.net

White Dog BBQ
10-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Looks like a beautiful site with lots of room!

Only things I can think of:

1) 3 20 amp circuits is not going to cut it. I imagine you may need to bring in a generator to satisfy the electricity demand.

2) You'll need more water than you can supply with one hose. Not sure what to tell you there (but there has to be a way to solve that).

3) You'll definitely want more porta potties.

Looks like a great venue, though!

ZBQ
10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Sounds like you have a lovely space to hold the event and are off to a great start with planning. If you want to send me an email I'll reply with the expense outline I'm working on.

Good luck!

Eric
saberinc@optonline.net

E-mail sent!!

Thanks Eric!!:-D

ZBQ
10-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Looks like a beautiful site with lots of room!

Only things I can think of:

1) 3 20 amp circuits is not going to cut it. I imagine you may need to bring in a generator to satisfy the electricity demand.

2) You'll need more water than you can supply with one hose. Not sure what to tell you there (but there has to be a way to solve that).

3) You'll definitely want more porta potties.

Looks like a great venue, though!

Plan B is a generator w/ distribution box and a water buffalo from the local National Guard Unit.

Anyone else have any thoughts on how much electric will be required?

We can get more porta potties but how many do you really need? They already have 3. In Nelsonville this past week end they only had 2 and that seemed sufficient for 17 teams, but I could be wrong about that.

Rolling Smoke
10-24-2007, 04:14 AM
Neil,
The first thing you need to do is determine how many teams you can accommodate based on the ground available. Even if you have the room for 100 teams, you might not want to take on that big of a task for the first year. Be fair to yourself and also to the teams by setting a cap on how many teams you will be able to handle the first year. Once you have determined the maximum number of teams that will be at the event, the water, electric and toilet requirements will fall into place. You are right about the ratio of toilets to teams in Nelsonville and if you'll remember, that's about the same ratio we had in Dayton.

Knowing the maximum number of teams that you will host will also help answer the manpower requirement question that you ask me the other day.

Getting ready to leave for Lynchburg so I'll talk to you next week.

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 04:20 AM
Put the teams on the flat terrain above not the hilly part where the tent is

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Neil,
The first thing you need to do is determine how many teams you can accommodate based on the ground available. Even if you have the room for 100 teams, you might not want to take on that big of a task for the first year. Be fair to yourself and also to the teams by setting a cap on how many teams you will be able to handle the first year. Once you have determined the maximum number of teams that will be at the event, the water, electric and toilet requirements will fall into place. You are right about the ratio of toilets to teams in Nelsonville and if you'll remember, that's about the same ratio we had in Dayton.

Knowing the maximum number of teams that you will host will also help answer the manpower requirement question that you ask me the other day.

Getting ready to leave for Lynchburg so I'll talk to you next week.

Thanks Jim,
I am thinking about having a cap of mabey 25 teams for the first year so that it doesn't become unmanageable but I will need to confer with my buddy who is a co-owner of the venue.

What was your cap Jim? 25 if my memory serves me correctly?

Like we talked about Jim, we have decided to go non-sanctioned the 1st year and go for sanctioning the 2nd.

Have a safe trip to the Jack and above all else, have fun!!:-D

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Put the teams on the flat terrain above not the hilly part where the tent is

I thought about that. The only problem with it is that the water and electric from the white buildings are not going to be accessable in the "flat" area where the red wagon is setting.

The picture is somewhat deceptive. The "hilly" area is pretty flat till you get up to the area where the tent is. Well, at least flat enough that an individual comp site wouldn't have much of a slope at all.

Anybody come up with anything for the name yet?

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Fruity Que
Smoke at the orchard
Smokechard
Orchique
Bar-b-fruit
BBQ at the Orchard
Williepalooza

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 05:47 AM
I thought about that. The only problem with it is that the water and electric from the white buildings are not going to be accessable in the "flat" area where the red wagon is setting.

The picture is somewhat deceptive. The "hilly" area is pretty flat till you get up to the area where the tent is. Well, at least flat enough that an individual comp site wouldn't have much of a slope at all.

Anybody come up with anything for the name yet?
I was on a slope at and we are talking a very small slope at bluesaque in east hartford ct and it i wasnt to pleased. Also think about where the judges tent will be and what sort of obstacles and terrain the teams have to walk turn in boxes through. You might have to get diferent electric supply anyway and water can travel far so the flat spot looks a lot nicer. Keep in mind access of trucks trailer etc getting in and out as well

Spydermike72
10-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Hey ZBQ, looks like a really nice site, keep me updated, I may have to come down to enemy territory for that one!! :)

I will keep thinking of a name!!

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 07:15 AM
I was on a slope at and we are talking a very small slope at bluesaque in east hartford ct and it i wasnt to pleased. Also think about where the judges tent will be and what sort of obstacles and terrain the teams have to walk turn in boxes through. You might have to get diferent electric supply anyway and water can travel far so the flat spot looks a lot nicer. Keep in mind access of trucks trailer etc getting in and out as well

Good info.

Can you tell me why you didn't like the small amount of slope? Just trying to figure this all out.

Truck and trailer access is not a problem. If you look in the pic you can see a large BBQ vending trailer that he was able to get in there with no problem.

Hey ZBQ, looks like a really nice site, keep me updated, I may have to come down to enemy territory for that one!! :)

I will keep thinking of a name!!

Be glad to have you Mike!!

I have a soft spot for you "football challenged" people "up north"! You just don't know any better! :lol:

Going to send you a PM.

drbbq
10-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Why not get sanctioned the first year? It solves a lot of problems for you.

Also, the tables of judges can each accommodate 6 entries so 25 is a bad number. 30 would be good because if you get a couple no-shows at the last minute you'll still be a qualifier. Assuming you'll be getting a proclamation from the Governor which is highly recommended.

Ray

ThomEmery
10-24-2007, 07:59 AM
I agree with Ray. Up there I would go KCBS
You wont have to reinvent the wheel
and teams will respond
The teams pay for the electric the toilets the Reps
Prize money is the biggest challenge. What do you have?

Rolling Smoke
10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
What was your cap Jim? 25 if my memory serves me correctly?

Like we talked about Jim, we have decided to go non-sanctioned the 1st year and go for sanctioning the 2nd.

Have a safe trip to the Jack and above all else, have fun!!:-D

We didn't have to worry about capping it but if we had it would have been cutoff at 25 teams just to keep it simple.

As for sanctioning, you can go either way. With so many variables, it was easier for Jimmy and me to not sanction the first year. Sanctioning would also have added additional expense to our budget since the reps we plan to use live a considerable distance away.

Like Ray says, sanctioning can relieve a lot of burden for you.

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Good info.

Can you tell me why you didn't like the small amount of slope? Just trying to figure this all out.

.It was just awkward, my wsm had to be leveled not a big deal but annoying, my tables were at the bottom on a flat and my cookers were up the slope behind so walking up and down was annoying

ThomEmery
10-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Get it sanctioned
For very small events here I sanction through CBBQA
But at 25 teams you have entry fees to cover it

Rolling Smoke
10-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Also, the tables of judges can each accommodate 6 entries so 25 is a bad number. 30 would be good because if you get a couple no-shows at the last minute you'll still be a qualifier. Assuming you'll be getting a proclamation from the Governor which is highly recommended.

Ray

Good point on the judges. Did they change the first year comp requirement to 25 teams? Last year (and in previous years) it was 15 teams for first year comps then 25 teams for each year thereafter.

The proclamation is highly recommendedas you say and the way the Governor in Ohio drags his feet on things like this, Neil should have started the process of requesting the proclamation yesterday.

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
It is 15 for a first year comp.

bbqbull
10-24-2007, 08:12 AM
It was just awkward, my wsm had to be leveled not a big deal but annoying, my tables were at the bottom on a flat and my cookers were up the slope behind so walking up and down was annoying

I concur with Sled. Walking on sloping ground just kills my back nowdays.
And im considered a pup still.

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Ray

Excellent thought Ray!

Can you tell me what problems it solves? I need to know all the info I can get.

Sent you a PM

I agree with Ray. Up there I would go KCBS
You wont have to reinvent the wheel
and teams will respond
The teams pay for the electric the toilets the Reps
Prize money is the biggest challenge. What do you have?

Haven't got that far yet. We are thinking of having a "People's Choice" award and let the sponsors be judges for that. Then have the regular judging too.

Is there a better method for this?

It was just awkward, my wsm had to be leveled not a big deal but annoying, my tables were at the bottom on a flat and my cookers were up the slope behind so walking up and down was annoying

Good info. Thanks

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Hmmmmm this is only a 10 hour drive for me. Get some sanctioning , a governors proclamation, and some prize money!:biggrin:

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 08:27 AM

Ray

Good point on the judges. Did they change the first year comp requirement to 25 teams? Last year (and in previous years) it was 15 teams for first year comps then 25 teams for each year thereafter.

The proclamation is highly recommendedas you say and the way the Governor in Ohio drags his feet on things like this, Neil should have started the process of requesting the proclamation yesterday.

Ok, how do you go about getting this and can you explain exactly what the proclamation is for?

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Ok, how do you go about getting this and can you explain exactly what the proclamation is for?
Proclamation is to make it an official state championship this way the winner gets the american royal invatational and into the drawing for the jack. Its a good tool in order to attract teams.

Rolling Smoke
10-24-2007, 08:33 AM

You need to contact Teddy's office and ask him to issue a proclamation declaring your competition a State Championship. Sharonville had trouble getting one from the Governor so KCBS told them a proc from a state Senator would work just as well.

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 08:34 AM
How many state championships does OH currently have?

Rolling Smoke
10-24-2007, 08:34 AM

3....Dayton, Nelsonville and Sharonville

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM

3....Dayton, Nelsonville and Sharonville

Is there a limit as to how many state championships there can be in a state?

Rolling Smoke
10-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Is there a limit as to how many state championships there can be in a state?

Nope

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 08:57 AM
I was asking only out of curiosity

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
You need to contact Teddy's office and ask him to issue a proclamation declaring your competition a State Championship. Sharonville had trouble getting one from the Governor so KCBS told them a proc from a state Senator would work just as well.

I need a name for the comp to tell them.

How does this sound?

Hirsch Fruit Farms presents "Smoke In The Orchard BBQ Competition"

or

Hirsch Fruit Farms presents "Smokin' In The Orchard BBQ Competition"

Rolling Smoke
10-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I need a name for the comp to tell them.

How does this sound?

Hirsch Farms presents "Smoke In The Orchard BBQ Competition"

or

Hirsch Farms presents "Smokin' In The Orchard BBQ Competition"

How about "Smokin' In The Orchard At Hirsch Farms"

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 09:27 AM
How about "Smokin' In The Orchard At Hirsch Farms"

What do you think Jim, will people around here be able to figure out that "Smokin' in the Orchard" means BBQ? I mean, in MO, yeah, they would get it, but in Ohio, I'm not so sure.

or

"Smokin' BBQ In The Orchard At Hirsch Fruit Farms"

or

"BBQ In The Orchard at Hirsch Fruit Farms"

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
BBQ at the Orchard

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
BBQ Battle at the Orchard

Aimee
10-24-2007, 09:36 AM

I am in Missouri but I believe the the general language in the cover letter for Governors Proclamation would be the same. I would be happy to give you a copy of the request I sent to get our competition qualified. By the way just to let you know...only because I just found this out, but the proclamation will follow you, so even if you change venue your proclamation is still good for your competition as long as it is the same competition.

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I am in Missouri but I believe the the general language in the cover letter for Governors Proclamation would be the same. I would be happy to give you a copy of the request I sent to get our competition qualified. By the way just to let you know...only because I just found this out, but the proclamation will follow you, so even if you change venue your proclamation is still good for your competition as long as it is the same competition.

That would be WONDERFUL Aimee!

You can send it to:

zbq3774@gmail.com

Thanks!!!

michiana mark
10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Here's a link to KCBS sanctioning http://www.kcbs.us/about_sanctioning.php

I would definitely look into this.

Count me in to cook, my father in law lives north of there in Kingston, Would be a good thing.

Rolling Smoke
10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
What do you think Jim, will people around here be able to figure out that "Smokin' in the Orchard" means BBQ? I mean, in MO, yeah, they would get it, but in Ohio, I'm not so sure.

or

"Smokin' BBQ In The Orchard At Hirsch Fruit Farms"

or

"BBQ In The Orchard at Hirsch Fruit Farms"

If it's teams you are trying to attract with the name, that's one thing but if it's the general public then that's another consideration to be made in choosing the right name. I think the name can be as simple as you want it to be. Sometimes a simple name will create a sense of intrigue which leave people wanting to know more. Call it whatever you want then use your media resources to give further explanation.

Hate to run but gotta pack for the Jack.

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Here's a link to KCBS sanctioning http://www.kcbs.us/about_sanctioning.php

I would definitely look into this.

Count me in to cook, my father in law lives north of there in Kingston, Would be a good thing.

Wonderful Mark! I am definately rethinking the sanctioning thing.

Kingston!?! Wow, small world!! A true one stop light town.:-D

If it's teams you are trying to attract with the name, that's one thing but if it's the general public then that's another consideration to be made in choosing the right name. I think the name can be as simple as you want it to be. Sometimes a simple name will create a sense of intrigue which leave people wanting to know more. Call it whatever you want then use your media resources to give further explanation.

Hate to run but gotta pack for the Jack.

Thanks for the help so far Jim!!
Have a safe trip and have fun!!:-D

Aimee
10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
That would be WONDERFUL Aimee!

You can send it to:

zbq3774@gmail.com

Thanks!!!

Sent! Let me know if you need anything else.

Jorge
10-24-2007, 10:46 AM
You might want to see how many buffs the Guard can cough up. If you get to 15 teams one isn't going to do it, unless you plan to continuously fill it from your local source and that may not keep up with demand initially, and when teams are cleaning up and packing to head home.

Have you and the orchard owner come to any agreement on damages to his property in the event it rains? Some of the rigs and trucks that people pull into that field may take a lot of work to get out if you get some heavy rain. More importantly, do you have a plan for getting all of those folks out if they get stuck? Not your first priority, but something you might want to think about.

ZBQ
10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
You might want to see how many buffs the Guard can cough up. If you get to 15 teams one isn't going to do it, unless you plan to continuously fill it from your local source and that may not keep up with demand initially, and when teams are cleaning up and packing to head home.

Have you and the orchard owner come to any agreement on damages to his property in the event it rains? Some of the rigs and trucks that people pull into that field may take a lot of work to get out if you get some heavy rain. More importantly, do you have a plan for getting all of those folks out if they get stuck? Not your first priority, but something you might want to think about.

Good info to consider. I think they have at least 2 tractors on site that would be big enough for that.

I'll have to ask Jim about the buffalo. He only had one in Dayton with 17 teams. I honestly don't know how often he had to fill it up.

michiana mark
10-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Wonderful Mark! I am definately rethinking the sanctioning thing.

Kingston!?! Wow, small world!! A true one stop light town.:-D

Thanks for the help so far Jim!!
Have a safe trip and have fun!!:-D

Oh, I also believe he is a F&AM of the Kingston lodge

Jorge
10-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Good info to consider. I think they have at least 2 tractors on site that would be big enough for that.

I'll have to ask Jim about the buffalo. He only had one in Dayton with 17 teams. I honestly don't know how often he had to fill it up.

A full tank is 400 gal. if memory serves.

ZBQ
10-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Oh, I also believe he is a F&AM of the Kingston lodge

Cool! I know several guys at that lodge. The Adelphi lodge merged with Kingston becasue their building was so old that they had to raze it and didn't have money to build another one.

ZBQ
10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
I tell you guys what:!:

The more I dig into this the more appreciation I have for an event organizer!!!:eek:

Unless you have organized one you just can't appreciate all of the work that is necessary to pull off even a small comp!!

I am literally setting here with page after page after page of stuff that needs done. I'm starting to think that June of 08 is REALLY pushing it to get all of this stuff done!!

One step at a time..........

cmcadams
10-25-2007, 03:02 PM
I think a simpler name is better... If Hirsch wants their name in the title, then something like Hirsch Farms BBQ Competition would work... it doesn't have to be overly catchy, I don't think.

I agree that slopes can really suck.. flat is better. You can't level stuff very well with a slope unless you have special equipment.

Oh, and we'll sign up, I'm sure. I was just there last Saturday... how about doing one at the Adena House?

Dale P
10-25-2007, 04:30 PM
We live about 3:20 minutes from there and very interested. Get sanctioned!

pigmaker23
10-25-2007, 04:30 PM
no need to sugar coat it sled, you were in a storm water retention basin,

michiana mark
01-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Bump. Any updates?:?:

Rolling Smoke
01-21-2008, 07:23 AM

We had one buff....500 gallon....filled it up one time on Friday morning, supplied 16 teams and still had 100-150 gallons left when it was all said and done

ZBQ
01-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Sorry about the delay guys, I had been trying to get some dates out of the owner that are free but he went an vacation over the holidays to see his family and I haven't crossed paths with him yet.

I will start trying to get him pinned down for some dates that work around the schedule of orchard/farm work and get this back on track.

I did talk to a friend that owns a welding shop and he said that I could use his big pull behind generator so we have a decent supply of electric.