PDA

View Full Version : What is a competition?

motoeric
10-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi,

What are the constituent areas of a cook-off? If you were to breakdown an event into different segments that you could rate, how would you do it?

What would you add or eliminate?

Pre-event communication
Greetings and lot assignment
On site communication
Attentiveness of organizers
Site set-up
Amenities
KCBS reps (overall)
Judging
Ancillary events
Awards ceremony
Prizes awarded
Leaving the area
Intangibles

Thanks,

Eric

Sir Smoke A Lot
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Convenience of the site? Is it easy to get to, can you get around the area easily, is there shopping close by...that sort of thing.

Sawdustguy
10-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Having a rest room within 50 feet.

MilitantSquatter
10-17-2007, 04:43 AM
crowd control / security ??
sanitation ??

watg?
10-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Access to ice, water, reliable elctric, and clean restrooms. Site size, bigger is better, level is good.

Sledneck
10-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Ample supply of train whistles

KC_Bobby
10-17-2007, 08:32 AM
I think an idea of having host homes for teams would be cool. Have a small town put on a BBQ on the streets around the block that is the city park. Have the teams set up on the street and each team has a host. The host just kinds of welcomes them, maybe makes them a pot of coffee in the morning and if the team is cool - maybe gets invited to use their bathroom for showers. And as a thank you, the team cooks a little extra BBQ for the host home.

On paper it sounds nice, probably a lot tougher in practice.

Sledneck
10-17-2007, 08:37 AM
I did like at new holland where the PA teams eached cooked for the pot luck, it was a nice gesture and a great idea

KC_Bobby
10-17-2007, 08:45 AM
We had a potluck at the BrewBQ in Independence IA, it was great!

smoke-n-my-i's
10-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Only have been to 2 so far, here are a few of my thoughts for what it is worth.

Make sure there is someone to greet us when we get there and show us our site.

Make sure there are ample bathrooms without having to walk for ever.

A place to get ice. The last event had people driving golf carts that would bring it to us for a price, not a bad price. But they quit at abt 7pm Friday night, and never came back on Saturday.

Yes, a places close that we can make a run to buy supplies if needed.

After the event, don't wait for ever to have the award ceremony. We have been up most of the night, and are ready to go.

Make sure we have an easy exit without a lot of crowd to worry about. We are ready to go.... most of the time, several hours of driving.

Overall, the two I have been to were good. Both of them were first time events for them as well, so we both had learning curves. We had a blast overall. These things are addicting.....

How about, more of them locally????? At least one a month year round....:shock:

Bill