PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Chicago.

NCGrimbo
10-15-2007, 10:25 AM
I'll be in Chicago at the end of the month and I was wondering if there are any good BBQ locations near any CTA stops. I'm going to be staying at Ohio and Michigan and taking in the Bears vs. Lions game. Monday or Tuesday, dinner or lunch, is the meal I'm looking to have BBQ.

Thanks

Ron_L
10-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Bill may chime in with more information, but here's some thoughts...

Honey One BBQ - 2241 N Western Ave, Chicago, IL 60647 - Not too far from the Blue Line that heads out towards O'Hare

http://www.yellowpages.com/images/logging_impressions.gif?rid=f6cd4aa9-dee3-47f6-af5c-a19674fffd7d&lid=119271018&iid=dbe6cabf-dfcc-42b5-8aca-25194f2f29f7&slid=SD-133091936&pid=800000000003151166&tol=1&hc=8004236&dir=ACGB&moi=1&poi=1Smoque BBQ, 3800 N Pulaski Rd, Chicago, IL 60641 - Also close to the Blue Line

There are others but I'm not sure what's close to the CTA stations.

Here's a good forum for Chicago restaurant info...

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=14

If you have time while you're here maybe we can get some Chicago area brethren together for a drink.

WineMaster
10-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Chi-Town Visit,
Ya gotta get some of that Chi-Town Deep dish pizza instead of Q.
Its what their known for. You wouldnt go to India without trying some
ahh well "Dog" would ya?

NCGrimbo
10-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Chi-Town Visit,
Ya gotta get some of that Chi-Town Deep dish pizza instead of Q.
Its what their known for. You wouldnt go to India without trying some
ahh well "Dog" would ya?
Got the chicago style pizza at Lou's lined up for Saturday night along with a brat or two at the game on Sunday. :-D

WineMaster
10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Got the chicago style pizza at Lou's lined up for Saturday night along with a brat or two at the game on Sunday. :-D

Have a great time! Let us know how it was. Better yet take pics and let us know.

Dan

Bill-Chicago
10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Although I'm not a big fan, hit Portillo's for a Chicago (garden on a bun) hot dog.

On Orleans, hit Al's Beef for an Italian Beef Sandwich (get it dipped which is dunked in juice) and Hot is Jardinare peppers, Sweet is green bell peppers.

Let me know the days, if any you might be free for lunch. If I can work it in, I'm about a half mile from that intersection. (I'm not downtown on the 29th though)

Have fun!!

NCGrimbo
10-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Let me know the days, if any you might be free for lunch. If I can work it in, I'm about a half mile from that intersection. (I'm not downtown on the 29th though)

Have fun!!

I'm leaving NC on Saturday and flying back on Wednesday afternoon. I think we have lunch fairly unplanned on Wednesday. If anyone wants to try to meet up with me for lunch on Wednesday, send me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers.

NCGrimbo

FatBoyz
10-26-2007, 01:35 PM
take the train to Milwaukee and you will find some great BBQ I dont think thay have any in Chitcago I know i'm gonna get it for this I'm A BAAAAADDDDD BOY HEHE

Bill-Chicago
10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
4 hours until Carson's mini Chicago Bash!!!

Can't wait to meat Gringo from NC

Wonder if he talks funny?

Anyone in the area about 11:30am, we'll be at www.ribs.com (http://www.ribs.com)

Got a bag of ass rippers for his flight home :twisted:

Smokin Gator
10-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Bill is about to nut Grimbo... pass it on!!!

Ron_L
10-31-2007, 09:59 AM
And I'm going to witness it! :shock:

Bill-Chicago
10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
And I'm going to witness it! :shock:

Bring your camera!!

And by "we'll be at Carsons" I meant Ron, I , and Gringo, but I see that wasn't clear upthread.

Ron, I got some hot nuts for you too.

backyardchef
10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Ron, I got some hot nuts for you too.

Bill's giving Ron his hot nuts....pass it on! :shock:

Bill-Chicago
10-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Bill's giving Ron his hot nuts....pass it on! :shock:

BYC has already been bagged with my nuts, pass it on

backyardchef
10-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Bill...I love your nuts......they are hot! :icon_blush:

Bigdog
10-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Bill...I love your nuts......they are hot! :icon_blush:

Get a room.:roll:

Bill-Chicago
10-31-2007, 11:36 AM

Don't let Steve fool you.

He's been nutted too.

Equal Opportunity Nutter Mod.

backyardchef
10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Jealous farker! :tongue:

Bill-Chicago
10-31-2007, 12:30 PM
And I just completed an International Nutting accross the pond.

No one is safe from my nuts

Bigdog
10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
No one is safe from my nuts

Now that is a thought that is going to haunt me tonight.:eek:

Bill-Chicago
10-31-2007, 01:07 PM
take the train to Milwaukee and you will find some great BBQ

Please don't tell me you're talking about Syl's near the Miller Brewery!

I've stepped in better crsp.

And Harold's Chicken outlets you now have came from Chicago.

You're welcome!

:twisted:

Bill-Chicago
10-31-2007, 03:27 PM
It was great meating another Brethren today.

Good food and good laughs by all.

And parting gifts!!

NCGrimbo, why don't you post about the various Chicago eateries you went to in this Road Trip thread when you get home.

I enjoy reading visitors perspective, as I see the City differently, being down here every day.

Thanks guys.

Have a safe trip.

Ron_L
10-31-2007, 06:56 PM
We had a great time at lunch with NCGrimbo and his buddy. We met at Carson's (link above) at 11:30. Bill did nut NC but they wouldn't let me take pictures of the actual nutting! :rolleyes:

Along with the nuts Bill brought some Pork Powder, Spicewine Hen and Hog Dust and Ketchupino for the guys. I brought some Blind Betty Hot Sauce from St. John, some Pit Bull Hot Sauce from parrothead's store and some of VooDooBBQ's Carolina style BBQ sauce (I thought it was ironic :-D). NC brought us some Jim's Own Hot Bar-B-Que sauce. Thanks, NC!

Since Bill asked me to bring my camera I had to take some pictures. Here's the dynamic trio (L-R, Willkat98, NCGrimbo, Ron_L)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_4299-2.jpg

Up close and personal with Willkat98...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_4298-2.jpg

NCGrimbo...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_4296-2.jpg

NC's buddy, Joe...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_4297-2.jpg

And, of course, food! NC and Bill had baby backs, Joe had a pulled pork sammie and I had rib tips. It was a big plate full and I brought some home. They were well cooked and had a nice smoke flavor and were served with the sauce on the side...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_4294.jpg

And finally... The long awaited (or long dreaded) picture of Bill's nuts!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_4302-2.jpg

The smaller sack is from Mexico and the larger sack is from Chicago. :-D

Bill-Chicago
10-31-2007, 07:53 PM
All agreed, next time we go there, its the rib tips. They looked awesome!

Thansk for remembering the camera Ron.

We now have physical evidence that Willy B has a spiritual twin brother in the South.

Ron_L
10-31-2007, 08:17 PM
We now have physical evidence that Willy B has a spiritual twin brother in the South.

Twin sons of different mothers mod...

Jorge
10-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Tell me how many kegs he floated, and I'll tell you if they are at least cousins8-)

NCGrimbo
11-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm back from a great trip to Chicago. Actually got back on Wednesday night, but I was real lazy yesterday, so my trip report needed to wait. Bill suggested I talk about the different places I ate at, so here it is:

Saturday Lunch - My friend Joe and I arrived into Chicago around noon and once we got our hotel room, we headed out for lunch. The original plan was to eat at a local bar two building down from the hotel for burgers, but it was no longer in business. The building was also no longer there, so we took Bill's advice and headed out to get an Itialian Beef sandwich. We choose Al's #1 since I knew where it was and made our order. I got a regular Itailian Beef with the giardinera on the side. Joe got the same with the giardinera on the sandwich. While eating, Joe's sandwich dripped juice and he was very happy. Mine, unfortunately, did not and I wasn't that impressed with it. After talking to Bill and Ron on Wednesday, I figured that mine wasn't wet enough to get the full experience. So, next trip we will try again.

Saturday Dinner - We went to Lou Malnati's pizza. This is a great Chicago style deep dish pizza and Joe and I go here every time we come to Chicago. We got the peperoni and sausage with the buttercrust and it was delicious.

Sunday Breakfast - West Egg was the location. It's one block from our hotel, The Red Roof Inn, and very crowded. We sat at the counter after a short wait for people to leave. I had eggs, bacon, and toast. Simple and wonderful. The service was quick and friendly and they never let your glass of tea become empty.

Sunday Lunch - Breakfast was so filling that we ended up not eating lunch at the Bears game. I bought a bag of peanuts to snack on and that was it. Even though the Bears lost, we still had a good time.

Sunday Dinner - This was the "Big Meal" of the trip. We ate at Fogo de Chao, a brazillian steakhouse. Basically, it's meat on a stick brought to your table and served by slicing a piece off. Let me state here and now that this was the best dinner I've had in a long time. It was a wonderful change to be able to sample several different types of meats. I had the standard types of steak along with bacon wrapped chicken and parmasian pork and I also had lamb for the first time in my life. I will say that everything was wonderful including the service. Total for this meal was $65 each and I say it was worth every penny.

Monday Breakfast - Lou Mitchell's was recomended to me on another forum, so I scheduled it for Monday morning. Once we got our bearings straight after exiting the subway, we quickly found the resturant. It's a nice and cozy place that's been around for over 70 years. They served the standard breakfast fare and I got eggs, bacon, and toast again. The wait staff was wonderful and everyone there seemed to be enjoying their food. When breakfast was over, our waitress came over with two small cups of vanilla ice cream to finish our meal. I can see us returning here at some future point.

Monday Lunch - The plan was to eat at an Itialian resturant in little itally, but it was closed on Mondays, so we at at some generic pizza place. Not bad, but not good enough to bother remembering the name of the place.

Monday Dinner - What can I say. Monday Night Football at Hooters. Nothing special about this Hooters, it's the same as all of the other Hooters I've been to.

Tuesday Breakfast - A quick breakfast at Dunken Donuts on the way to the Brookfield Zoo.

Tuesday Lunch - After a 2 hour transit trip (45 minutes waiting on one bus) we got to the zoo close to lunch time. We ate at the zoo's cafeteria and I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of foods they offered. I ate a burger, fried cheeze, and a coke while Joe had a burger, onion rings, and a coke. Both of us enjoyed this more than we expected.

Tuesday Dinner - We headed to Frontera for dinner, but decided that we didn't want another $60 meal on this trip. So we headed back towards the hotel and stopped at Su Casa. Very good Mexican resturant with a nice menu. I had the fajitas and Joe had enchiladas.

Wednesday Breakfast - Dunken Donuts again. We wanted a quick and small breakfast.

Wednesday Lunch - This was at Carson's where Joe and I met up with Bill and Ron. Vey good food cooked over Hickory. I can see going back here again.

Here's some pictures of what Bill and Ron generously gave me:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/NCGrimbo/Sauces/DCP_4166.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/NCGrimbo/Sauces/DCP_4167.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/NCGrimbo/Sauces/DCP_4168.jpg

I'm looking forward to my next trip to Chicago!!

backyardchef
11-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Glad you had a good time in Chi-town.

LOVE that Manny's Pit Bull hot sauce...Renegade is good chit!

Where'd that mustardy carolina sauce come from? (ETA: nevermind, I re-read RonL's post and saw it was from VoodooBBQ....)

Bill-Chicago
11-02-2007, 09:25 PM
I gave the Ketchupeno, and although SBR is available around the country, the varieties like the Chipotle is harder to come by.

I threw in a Spicewine Dust I had in case he hadnt tried it, but I think he got some with a Spice thermometer he ordered, so maybe Joe will use that.

Great time!