PDA

View Full Version : How Long????

tonto1117
10-13-2007, 09:20 AM
For all of you that have been skilled and lucky enough to win a GC OR RGC....how many comps had you cooked before that wonderfull day??

Lakeside Smoker
10-13-2007, 09:31 AM
My 7th KCBS comp. I hit RGC. No GC for me.

Ford
10-13-2007, 09:32 AM
30 over 7 years. First year 1 then 3 then 6, 6, 6, 5 and then my 3rd one this year. But it took me 5 years to learn that what I liked wasn't what the judges wanted or it would have been sooner.

smoke-n-my-i's
11-02-2007, 03:07 PM
I don't know.. as soon as I find out, I will let you know... :eek: :cool: :mrgreen:

You will probably hear me from where I am to where you are.... Just like I will hear you when you get yours.....

Bill :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

YankeeBBQ
11-02-2007, 03:14 PM
We won the 5th or 6th contest we cooked. Then it took us 3 years to win a second one !

Scottie
11-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I got mine in my 8th... Which technically would have been my third year of competing. Although, I took 3 years off to let my girls get a little bigger... As they didn't want me to leave the house without them...

LostNation
11-02-2007, 03:24 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who won their first time out at Harpoon in 2003. Never thinking lightning would strike twice we on the next day at the grilling contest. the next year we won 1 grand and 2 reserves then it's just been a few more reserves, still looking for our 3rd BBQ grand.

Q Haven
11-02-2007, 04:05 PM
We won the 2nd competition we entered. We've done 10 KCBS contests since and haven't finished higher than 4th.

G$
11-02-2007, 04:09 PM
If you took an infinite number of Totally Que-Less teams and an infinite number of Competitions we would produce an RGC or GC in exactly 917 contests.

Needless to say, we are still waiting.

Plowboy
11-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Reserve - Five years... about 40 contests
Grand - Seven years... about 70 contests

paydabill
11-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Grand 4 years 13 comps.

Have not gotten RGC.

Sawdustguy
11-02-2007, 05:23 PM
On our 9th competition we got a RGC. We are still a ways from a GC but you never know.

Sledneck
11-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Does my williepalooza reserve GC count?:biggrin:

tonto1117
11-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks, your responses help to put this all in perspective. We only began in May. We got a Lang, a couple of ez ups and a gaggle of thermos and set off to have some fun cooking good bbq. Whoa, a few short months later, and a whopping four comps under our belt and we are totally hooked. We are starting to realize it is a "marathon", not a sprint.

Sledneck
11-03-2007, 08:50 AM
we are totally hooked. We are starting to realize it is a "marathon", not a sprint.
Welcome to the other side:eusa_clap

Sawdustguy
11-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks, your responses help to put this all in perspective. We only began in May. We got a Lang, a couple of ez ups and a gaggle of thermos and set off to have some fun cooking good bbq. Whoa, a few short months later, and a whopping four comps under our belt and we are totally hooked. We are starting to realize it is a "marathon", not a sprint.

Whatever you do, don't give up! We have smelled up the joint plenty in some contests we have competed in. We started off making our own rubs and sauces which was a mistake. We were trying to reinvent the wheel. We have even fallen asleep and the cooker went out. In terms of bad things, you name it, we have done it. Things have started to click when we got the Spicewine and had a little help from our friends. We now concentrate on cooking each meat as close to perfect as we can and use commercial rubs and sauces. Our cooker in conjunction with a BBQ Guru keeps our temperatures precise and for as long as we need. It gives us a good nights sleep so we can be well rested and alert. We have expanded our team to six members so three do the grilling and three do the BBQ with the others lending a hand. With each contest things go a little smoother. We also never loose sight of the fact that we go there to have fun and socialize no matter how we do.

smoke-n-my-i's
11-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I have a buddy (competitor) that has a saying, and he will tell me every time I talk to him.

Any given weekend can be yours. Everyone has a good weekend, and a bad weekend. You just never know when the great weekend will be yours. Unless you are there, you will never get it, someone else will.....

So, with that said, I am going again... one last time this year.... I wish I would get called, but you never know. I was totally shocked the very first comp I went to, we got a call for 4th place pork.... so far, that is the only one, but we have come close other times.... so, try, try, again.....

Bill

tonto1117
11-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Whatever you do, don't give up! We have smelled up the joint plenty in some contests we have competed in. We started off making our own rubs and sauces which was a mistake. We were trying to reinvent the wheel. We have even fallen asleep and the cooker went out. In terms of bad things, you name it, we have done it. Things have started to click when we got the Spicewine and had a little help from our friends. We now concentrate on cooking each meat as close to perfect as we can and use commercial rubs and sauces. Our cooker in conjunction with a BBQ Guru keeps our temperatures precise and for as long as we need. It gives us a good nights sleep so we can be well rested and alert. We have expanded our team to six members so three do the grilling and three do the BBQ with the others lending a hand. With each contest things go a little smoother. We also never loose sight of the fact that we go there to have fun and socialize no matter how we do.

Thanks Guy....we have no intentions of giving up. Actually we are pretty satisfied with our first 4 comp year...2 walks in ribs, 2 walks in pork(one being a third pace) 1 in chicken and a 6th overall was our highest finish. Brisket is our downfall - 15th is our highest (out of 40). We plan to take a cooking class early next spring (Rod and Johnny's class). Totally agree with your last line......need to remember that first and foremost, after all it's not like were in it for the money:wink:

[QUOTE}smoke-n-my-i's]I have a buddy (competitor) that has a saying, and he will tell me every time I talk to him.

Any given weekend can be yours. Everyone has a good weekend, and a bad weekend. You just never know when the great weekend will be yours. Unless you are there, you will never get it, someone else will.....

So, with that said, I am going again... one last time this year.... I wish I would get called, but you never know. I was totally shocked the very first comp I went to, we got a call for 4th place pork.... so far, that is the only one, but we have come close other times.... so, try, try, again.....

Bill

I hear ya Bill :wink:.....best of luck and have a good time!!!!

Bigmista
11-05-2007, 06:55 PM
2 years - 8 contests to get our 1st RGC. No GC yet but we are still going!

Rub
11-05-2007, 09:16 PM
25 for my first pro RGC, and 27 (3 years) until my first pro GC.
I had 2 GC's earlier, but 1 was backyard and 1 was unsanctioned.
I'm a slow learner. :icon_clown

TOPS BBQ
11-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Four comps under my belt. Three walks, but nothing higher than 4th in chicken & Brisket. Two great comp experiences and two bad ones. Of course the bad ones were the ones we didn't do well in. Have my fifth and largest comp coming up this weekend. Check it out: www.SWIBB.com (http://www.SWIBB.com)

Bigjim4x
11-06-2007, 08:02 AM
It was my 9th contest when we won our only RGC and have done 5 more with not much luck on that GC.

tonto1117
11-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Four comps under my belt. Three walks, but nothing higher than 4th in chicken & Brisket. Two great comp experiences and two bad ones. Of course the bad ones were the ones we didn't do well in. Have my fifth and largest comp coming up this weekend. Check it out: www.SWIBB.com (http://www.SWIBB.com)

No understand the linky:confused:

Smokedelic
11-06-2007, 08:51 AM
We hit a GC in our 8th contest. Hit another later that year(2006). Only an RGC since then....but we're still trying.

Roo-B-Q'N
11-06-2007, 08:56 AM
We hit a GC in our 8th contest. Hit another later that year(2006). Only an RGC since then....but we're still trying.

Keep on trying there Mike, you got what it takes!

Good to see you in this neck of the woods, now go over to cattle call and properly introduce yourself!

MoKanMeathead
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Lucky 13 (2nd year) we got our first RGC and number 31 (4th year) was our first GC.

Neal
11-06-2007, 09:37 AM
It was our 10th contest. That includes 1 IBCA contest, 1 unsanctioned contest and one contaest that was unsanctioned but used KCBS rules. The contest I won was sanctioned by KCBS but was very small (11 teams). In our 15th try later that year we won a State Champ qualifier.

This year we scored RGC's in contests #22 and 26 and GC in #29.

lunchlady
11-06-2007, 09:48 AM
this is a fun one... love to reminisce... we do about 15 a year- include the grilling events and it's way more.

2004 first year - two RGC's oh... so close... one was less than a point.
2005 - 4 RGC's man!! (and I can't even tell you how many 3rds!)
2006 - 4 RGC's and then, the last comp of the year - a GC! YEA!
(thank you Oinktoberfest!)
2007 - 2 more RGC's and then, a GC, an RGC, and another GC!
(thank you Harpoon! and Oinktoberfest! again!)

But how many of us are members of the D*A*L club?~!

It has been a long, strange trip and there is no end in sight.

Thanks again to our mentor, Garry Howard!!! He shortened our learning curve tremendously and taught us that the competitions are about the food, but BBQ really is about the friends!

ChiliMacDaddy
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
But how many of us are members of the D*A*L club?~!
It has been a long, strange trip and there is no end in sight.
Thanks again to our mentor, Garry Howard!!!

Hey, I'm a proud, dues-paying, card-carrying member of that club!:oops:
It was on our first outing into the comp world several years ago. Thank God that day is finally behind me.

Gary is good people, even though his politics suck.:roll: I was reading where he finally made it back to the states and now has a home in Santa Fe as well.

Muzzlebrake
11-06-2007, 10:19 AM
D*A*L club?

lunchlady
11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
yep... dead ass last.

SmokeInDaEye
11-06-2007, 10:37 AM
4 KCBS contests to-date and no GC or RCG in site, but I'm proud of the progession in my scores. I read here a few times that it takes five contests to really get your game down and I believe that's true.

For a little lighthearted fun, here's a post I dug up after my first contest last year. It's a bit long but good to see how the education process has worked...

HUDSON VALLEY RIB FEST '06

"Congrats again to Vinny, I Smell Smoke Q Haven, Purple Turtle, Four beerguts and Jorge, and all the other brethren. It was a really amazing time despite getting absolutely killed in my first competition yesterday (37 out of 42).

It was a pretty depressing ride home but I am in much better spirits today and am ready to regroup and come back smarter and stronger. Maybe I'll make a list for the "competition lessons" thread but here's my thoughts post-slaughter.

The good:

* Fifth overall in the grilling competition after doing 17th at my only other grilling competition, Grill Kings.

* Getting to watch Jake McDavid take over Will's rib demo

* Placing 14th overall in shoulder with underdone meat, enabling me to tell Jack McDavid (15th place) that I beat him next year (that's the plan, right Will?)

* Finishing 8 categories and not getting DQ'd in any of them

* Amazing experience. I rushed to throw a team together and had no practice with them but survived every possible obstacle.

The bad:

* Inexperienced team. 2 of our 4 members from Grill Kings weren't available so I had to bring in last minute help. They wanted to do whatever they could but without some knowledge of what was happening, I ended up carrying most of the load from trimming meat to presentation.

* Poor temperature control. Our smokers well below 225 until I realized the stock gauges were messed up from the rain or something (any suggestions for accurate gauges I could drill into the smokers?) and pumped the heat at 5am when the brisket was still stuck at 120 but just ran out of time, hitting the low 170s 30 minutes form turn-in, giving it zero time to get tender. I had allocated 18 hours for shoulders and briskets which should have been fine if we had decent heat. I thought the flavor, bark and smoke rings were good, just needed more time.

* Trying to do too much (thanks, Phil). Making rubs and sauces from scratch was probably stupid. I'll save the sauces for sauce competitions!

* Setting up on dirt. It looked great in the sun, next to the bathrooms and turn-in station, but the downpours turned it into a swamp.

* Not putting the smokers under or near a tent. Moving loaded smokers and a tent in a storm is a mess.

* Losing our main tent. Again, we set up on the end and had no buffers from the wind. At about 2am it lifted up and took off like a 12x12 foot kite, breaking a couple legs. Luckily we were able to bend them enough to put it back up, otherwise it would have been an even nastier night.

* Wet charcoal and newspaper. Trying to get chimneys lit in the rain when the paper is wet, the ground is mud and your underwear is soaked is some sort of lesson in how to do things better next time, right?

Anyway, after almost calling it quits last night, I know I can do much better then how we placed. All of the problems above are easily fixed and if I decide on 3-4 competitions for next year soon, I'll have time to get a regular team set, DIVIDE RESPONSIBILITIES, and get some more valuable insight from all of you. And thanks to Phil, Will and the guys for helping me see straight yesterday afternoon."

Nitrofly
11-06-2007, 11:21 AM
D*A*L club?

Dead Ass Last Club :evil: :twisted:

BBQchef33
11-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Our first event was in 2004, unsanctioned and had a farked up scoring method. Instead of GC being best overall score, they gave it to 'highest single' score of the four catagories. So, despite our placings of 1st in chicken, 1st in ribs, 3rd in Brisket and 5th in pork, the GC went to the one with the higest single score, which was a 168 in pork. If it was a sanctioned KCBS event, we would have GC'ed our first time out. Oh well, coulda shoulda... The team was Greg(Parrothead) and I and considering it was our very first competition, we were riding high on the pile of checks and trophies. Subsequent events for 2004 had us place 4th overall 4 times in a row. We called it the curse of third.

Following year, we did a 3rd overall behind DrBBQ and Dirty dick as GC and RGC. I remember Ray coming up to me and saying "Phil... its your 4th contest.. "taking 3rd, behind us is no embarrasment.. ".. That make 3rd easy to swallow, especially since we finally broke the 4th place barrier.

From 2004-2006, We always pulled at least one walk at each contest, and i think the worst we did was 5th(or 7th) overall. Not even close to GC or RGC... This year we had a DQ for a late entry that dropped us down the list at Ribfest, we bitched for Bad Bones at Harpoon, GC'ed at Williepalooza which was a small NS, warmup for fun contest, and it was made up for with our first real GC at The Sayville Event. So.. 3 years or about 12 contests to our first GC.

Transformer BBQ
11-06-2007, 11:59 AM
First contest we ever did was Harpoon 06. During the grilling day the only teams we beat were teams that had been DQ'd in at least one category.

I have my DAL card here somewhere...

(we did end up grilling GC in 07 at that same event... so I don't take things to seriously. KCBS we're still searching for... 8 contests so far)

Sawdustguy
11-06-2007, 03:11 PM
No DAL card here at the Polocks camp. If there were a Middle of the Pack award we would have won plenty of times.

tonto1117
11-06-2007, 03:16 PM
For every contest we have done so far my ritual is to look upwards and say "Just no DAL Lord...please" Has worked so far...lol.

Plus the ride home woud s*** big time!!!!!

ique
11-06-2007, 03:31 PM
It took us a while to win our 1st GC. We cooked one contest a year for awhile - Pig N Pepper in Mass - 98,99,00. Was mostly an excuse for a bunch of friends to drink beer in a field for the weekend. Our first win was the NEBS Snowshoe Grilling contest in 01. First KCBS win was Peters Pond in 02. Probably cooked 6 or 7 contests before that first win.

Smokedelic
11-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Good to see you in this neck of the woods, now go over to cattle call and properly introduce yourself!

LOL....thanks Tom. I'm an infrequent lurker, just dipped my toe in the pool for a sec. I'll head back to my lounge chair now for a cold one. Pretty sure Christy won't let me surf any more BBQ forums.:lol: Hope all is well w/ you and Shar up there. Still need to talk labels w/ you over the winter, I'll give you a call when I get a clue what I'm needing.

Jeff_in_KC
11-06-2007, 05:41 PM
First (only RGC) - 23rd contest
No Grands yet.
In 26 contests, we have 12 top ten finishes so we're getting close... hopefully!
No DALs yet (although out very first contest was the American Royal and we finished 400th out of 474 and a lot of those from 401st to 474th didn't turn in all four categories! It was BAD!!!)

clubjoe
11-06-2007, 11:40 PM
It took us till our 9th contest for RGS (non-sanctioned) and we took our first and only GC on our 11th comp (sanctioned)