PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Joints in Jacksonville & Melbourne

Countryhb
10-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Got a co-worker who's headed to Jacksonville and Melbourne on the 22nd. He's looking for recommendations on BBQ places to hit while there. Can any of you Florida brothers help??

Bill-Chicago
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Tony Roma's is supposed to have the best barbecue, from what I hear

Countryhb
10-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Too bad your ribs aren't even as good as Tony's...:shock:

tntitan
10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
http://flbbq.org click on the orange then go to bbq joints in florida alot in jax

Countryhb
10-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks TNTITAN! Willkat...well, nevermind.

tntitan
10-12-2007, 03:56 PM
that place in brandon is the best q i have ever had

Smokin Gator
10-12-2007, 04:46 PM
These two off that Florida BBQ Association link are the real deal:

One that I fully endorse is Billy C's Cottens (correct spelling) BBQ. It's been there for about 50 years. Real hole in the wall joint with a real real brick pit. They are at 17th and Main. They have a thin mustard based sauce that will knock your socks off. Let 'em know your a first timer and they'll let ya sample a rib. Very nice people.

The place I like best is Jenkins... one on king street ..other one by the bus statiion downtown ... it is a little hole in the wall but is good ... ... mustard based sauce is good

Tell your buddy that these are not in the best section of town. Daytime is fine... I wouldn't go at night.

My favorite in the area is Callahan BBQ. Callahan is about 30 minutes north of the airport. To get there from the airport you go north on I-95 to exit 373. Take Hwy 200 west to just before the traffic light in Callahan (it will be the first one you come to). It is on the right. Look for the dirt parking lot packed with trucks. If he knows anything about Q he can smell it once he gets close.

As a bonus they have some killer fried chicken. Oh man I want some fried livers and gizzards right farkin now!!!

There is not alot in Melbourne that I know of... but there is a Sonny's there and while it is not the best Q you'll ever eat it is very consistent and a good meal.

chad
10-12-2007, 06:46 PM
A side trip to Auburndale would put you at Peeble's on Old Dixie Highway. True joint. Been in business forever. Only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and only between Labor Day and Memorial Day...