PDA

View Full Version : What a Ride. **LONG, go get beer **.

BBQchef33
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
American Royal 2007 for an AR Noob.

From a competitors perspective, its like nothing you ever seen, unless u been there.

I've been to the Jack.. thats like a backyard party compared to the AR.

Look at it like this.

Fill the parking lot of your pro baseball or footballs team stadium with competition BBQ teams. Make the judges tent centered on Second base, spanning the in and outfield(for 500 judges).

Randomly scatter live bands and DJ's, dance floors and hay bails, beer kegs and full bars.. and even throw in a stripper pole for good luck somewhere.

Then pack the parking lot with 70,000 people, put a team in tuxedos and some in tie dyes and hippy wigs.

Wandering around the Royal on party night is awe inspiring. From the single teams with a cooler of beer and a few bottles of JD, up to these massive party tents with refrigerator trucks and golf carts.. I cant count how many times i was sayin 'holy chit'. Looking around, Jorge kept telling me I looked like a deer in the headlights. Its and experience everyone here should try at least once.

but through all that, there is still the core event.. Competition BBQ for BIG bucks and BIGGER prestige. Cooking this weekend with DrBBQ gave us allot of time to chat up our sport.. and in his words, EVERY PRIZE YOU GET AT THE ROYAL, IS A BIG DEAL. This is truly the Grand daddy of KCBS BBQ events. I followed up one one of the questions our members asked.. "winning which event has more prestige, the open or invitational".. The consensus, BOTH are EQUAL... BOTH ARE HUGE.. and both winners accomplished something HUGE..

So to...

Mark and Becky, Bubba and Jeff, Wayne and Jeff_in_KC(form (Mokan meatheads), ScottyD, Steve(I smell Smoke), Fredbird from Team Q, and Chris from IQue, Scott from Cancersucks, Crapshoot, the guys at porkcrastinators and 2 fat bikers....you guys all ROCK!! And on behalf of The Brethren, its OUR honor to have you among us(hopefully sharing your secrets:eusa_clap). I really hope I didn't miss any of the walks...and all the competitors at the AR all earn the respect of just successfully getting things turned in,...especially when you have to do it during the worlds biggest party.

Cooking with Ray was awesome.. it like hanging with BBQ rockstars.... the constant flow of people just wanting to touch his shirt was fun to watch.. now we just gotta find out how to get BBQ groupies. :twisted: The team was DrB, Me, Jorge, Jappledog and her hubby Steve. There was plenty of time to wander around and try to hunt down all our members that were there, but when the specified times came, our team was front and center and getting our jobs done. I again send out a big THANKS to Ray for the opportunity to not only experience the American Royal, but cook on his team, get our jobs done and learn a lot from BBQ royalty. Anyone can cook a contest, but to cook at the royal, and not freak out.. well thats an accomplishment. Ray was doing his thing, talking to anyone that came by and the whole time and we always relaxed and in control regardless of the 70k people around us.. if it was me, i would be barricaded behind concrete dividers. :twisted: I believe we finished 21 out of 110 at the invitational and 50 out of 500+ at the open.

Yup.. theres more. Some highlights..

Hanging out in the kitchen Ray, out of the blue, tells me we are next to Joe Davidson...

Who's that?

he says.... "ya know OKLAHOMA JOE? hes the guys that makes the line of pits?"..

Chit.. Oklahoma Joe?!!! He designed the first Bandera. RAY... we were "The Bandera Brethren"..that pit is our cornerstone. After a goofy brethren history lesson.. he takes me over and snaps some pics of me and the guy, who in a way if it wasn't for him, we may not be here. Yup.. i was giddy.. (I'm easy to amuse).

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/bbqchef33/American%20Royal%202007/PA072147.jpg

I lost a Brethren hat.. that sux. it was the first one i had.. from long ago.. lucky sweat stains and all..

the Maytag repair man DOES exist.. and he likes BBQ, in fact.. He even cooks it.. but he can't fix broken cookshacks or fast eddys.

putting a sign on a chair that says "We feed Naked Woman" does not necessarily yield great results. :cool:

Holding up plates with '10' printed in big numbers on them when ever some 20 something female walks by...... DOES.. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That being said.... jay spicebag still does the reach around.. in fact i think he has been practicing. :eek:

snapping some pics with Mark and Becky, in front of their Brethren Banner and with the GC Trophy was truly a highlight.. (You know how I am with our pig :mrgreen:)

HoDeDo and his bud Gator.... What can I say? Tap another keg! Gator is a trip and i think he and Dave Klose were separated at birth.

Walking around trying to find all of us was quite the hikes.... i think i got to most, only porkcrasintors were MIA every time I went over there... :redface: And skip was hiding in the trailer.. next time i peek thru the window, but we finally caught up..

the DARK SIDE.... SCARY!!! and i went in daylight.. its really odd the way the entire 'feel' changes when you go to that side of the lots. don't know what it was, but it honestly was somewhat surreal over there.... never did go back at night until after everyone left...

Heres advice.. take the phone away from Andy and Plowboy after 1AM. They have this thing about letting a Grey goose make fone calls for them.. at least thats who they blamed the 2am fone calls on. :wink:

and most important.. thanks to everyone who was there... for making 4 days something to type longs posts about and tell my family about for 2 days so far. More and more experience come to minds and at this point they're sick of hearing them..

i didn't take allot of pics, but heres (http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/bbqchef33/American%20Royal%202007/)what was in the camera.

Now.. time for another Salad for dinner.

Jeff_in_KC
10-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Great recap of the Royal, Phil! Good to see you and Jorge again too! But hell, I don't belong in that list of people you listed with calls or championships. I'm just a blind dog that found the proverbial bone on Sunday. Congrats to everyone! What a fun weekend!

Yakfishingfool
10-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Can't wait to hear the details Phil. Scott

bbqjoe
10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Nice recap boss!
And now for the rest of the story....................Please!

tonto1117
10-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Whoa.....jealous mod. Looks like you had a blast and made it home to tell the story. Call me crazy, but allready starting to plan on going to next years. Sounds like somthing everyone should experience at least once.

Great picks poobah, and what a story about who you were next too!!!!

Dustaway
10-09-2007, 07:43 PM
man what a recap thanks boss

HoDeDo
10-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for sharing Phil. Since I was "Livin' on the Darkside" - it was great to get your view from the Green Egg tent.

Thanks to you and Jorge for taking the time on Sunday night to hang for a while and shoot the breeze. I'm sure you could have found something better to do, like go to bed before you had to fly out!!! Bobby (Gator) really enjoyed meeting you guys as well.

HoDeDo
10-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Oh - I believe you did miss a couple calls from Eric and Greg - "Ribs 4 U". (Ole' E and PaolaGreg)

G$
10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Sounds like a BLAST.

motley que
10-09-2007, 09:10 PM
ok, am i the only one who noticed our fearless leader lost his cap. maybe and just maybe that means that there is a chance for us followers of all thing pig to get our own?

the recap and pics were nice, but the thought of getting a hat rules

SloppyQ
10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Phil, you put that together perfectly. I will assume you had a great time. I have had the opportunity to cook/compete/party with most of who you mentioned and I will have to say they are best of friends (you know who you are) Gator included (the mold was broken when he was sired) but to be able to join this bunch at the Royal had to be extra special. To top it off with Mark and Becky, Bubba and Jeff winning the highest of honors and to be members of this forum had to make it something of an unforgetable experience. Glad you enjoyed the trip, come back soon.

Plowboy
10-09-2007, 09:19 PM
I saw Phil immediately after the Invitational awards when Great Grills won. He was as emotional as I've ever seen him. He kept saying, "They're one of us! I damn near cried!"

Told Randy after the Open when Bubba and Jeff won that Phil's gotta be down there going absolutely nuts. Two Brethren teams and two Grands... poetry.

motley que
10-09-2007, 09:24 PM
I saw Phil immediately after the Invitational awards when Great Grills won. He was as emotional as I've ever seen him. He kept saying, "They're one of us! I damn near cried!"

Told Randy after the Open when Bubba and Jeff won that Phil's gotta be down there going absolutely nuts. Two Brethren teams and two Grands... poetry.

amen to all of that. wife didnt understand how pumped i was when i read the results. she was like "you never even met these people." just cause you never met in person doesnt mean you wouldnt wish the best and feel good when a brother does well.

asperations to live up to

Ron_L
10-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I lost a Brethren hat.. that sux. it was the first one i had.. from long ago.. lucky sweat stains and all..

Wait... You gave Oklahoma Joe a sweaty cap?

Walking around trying to find all of us was quite the hikes.... i think i got to most, only porkcrasintors were MIA every time I went over there... :redface:

That's our Porkcrastinators! WTG, Seth! :biggrin:

Thanks for the recap and the pics!

bbqbull
10-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Boss, A plus report.

I talked to Phil and Jorge on Sunday. Did not realize they were cooking in the open class.

I heard more damned yelling in the background, hard to hear Phil on his phone.
Talked to Jorge for a bit, noise got much worse.

Not sure about the rest of you but I would have a very difficult time trying to function in that kind of atmosphere.

Then Jorge told me it was turn in time.........Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Sorry guys I didnt have a clue.

Im sure it would be a Once in a Lifetime expeirence attending that huge event.

swamprb
10-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Nice report, must have been something special to experience this spectacle! Congrats to all the Brethren!!

ihbobry
10-10-2007, 07:21 AM
putting a sign on a chair that says "We feed Naked Woman" does not necessarily yield great results. :cool:

Holding up plates with '10' printed in big numbers on them when ever some 20 something female walks by...... DOES.. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

What I like the most about you Phil, is your always teaching. :biggrin:

drbbq
10-10-2007, 07:55 AM
It was great to have Phil and everyone else join me at the Royal. It's a very special event to me and this year was as good as it gets.

Thanks for all the help.

drbbq
10-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Boss, A plus report.

I talked to Phil and Jorge on Sunday. Did not realize they were cooking in the open class.

I heard more damned yelling in the background, hard to hear Phil on his phone.
Talked to Jorge for a bit, noise got much worse.

Not sure about the rest of you but I would have a very difficult time trying to function in that kind of atmosphere.

Then Jorge told me it was turn in time.........Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Sorry guys I didnt have a clue.

Im sure it would be a Once in a Lifetime expeirence attending that huge event.

I gotta ask. Are you the same bbqbull that spoke in another place about how bad you've heard the Royal is, and about the "petrified" New Yorker that was there this year?

Jorge
10-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Phil covered it all, with the exception of the insanity that Ray's life can be. He know's everybody, and the number of friends he saw and took a minute to talk to over the weekend was unbelievable. The number of people he was happy to talk to about the BGE was just as large. Mix in the Maytag Repairman ...... Somewhere in there he found the time to cook two contests in three days. Ray just smiles, laughs, and says "This is what my life has become."

Thanks for the experience Ray.

Kung Fu BBQ
10-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Good recap, but I have to disagree about the dark side. This year was the first time I crossed over to the invite side at night and that was much more insane. You guys just had better lighting.
I will note. The trains were extra loud this year. I do not remember last year being woken up every 20 minutes by a train blasting its horn for 5 minutes straight.

Plowboy
10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Phil covered it all, with the exception of the insanity that Ray's life can be. He know's everybody, and the number of friends he saw and took a minute to talk to over the weekend was unbelievable. The number of people he was happy to talk to about the BGE was just as large. Mix in the Maytag Repairman ...... Somewhere in there he found the time to cook two contests in three days. Ray just smiles, laughs, and says "This is what my life has become."

Thanks for the experience Ray.

And how tall was that Maytag Repairman anyway? Damn!! :shock:

Good recap, but I have to disagree about the dark side. This year was the first time I crossed over to the invite side at night and that was much more insane.

I really didn't see anything scary on the dark side, just a mass of people, a ton of beer, and lots of loud music everywhere. But nothing crazy that I saw.

My cousin is part of Half Sauced BBQ team. The team behind them didn't order enough porta potties. Guys just started peeing on the back of the Half Sauced tent where the band was. They said if was flowing into the band. Everything smelled. Guitar straps were soaked.

Kung Fu BBQ
10-10-2007, 09:45 AM
My cousin is part of Half Sauced BBQ team. The team behind them didn't order enough porta potties. Guys just started peeing on the back of the Half Sauced tent where the band was. They said if was flowing into the band. Everything smelled. Guitar straps were soaked.

Thats why we butt up against the fence every year. We only have to defend one side of our castle that way.

Porky
10-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I am proud to be a Brethren, Phil thanks for the recap. When I grow up I want to be like you and cook with Dr BBQ, are you listen Dr. You know I will be moving to So Fl in '08.

YankeeBBQ
10-10-2007, 10:30 AM
It was amazing to see many of the people I know or have conversed with through this and other forums make the walk at the Royal this year. It really is an awesome feeling walking up to get your award and hearing people yell out BaaaahhhhhhBQue !! Congrats to Great Grills and Bubba and Jeff for your accomplishments this past weekend. It's what we all dream about. Ray is right the Royal really is a special event. Great Recap Phil !

Steve
I Smell Smoke !!!

Swinebuck
10-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the photos and the narative. Sounds like a great time. We hope to get there someday. Would like to see more photos from whomever may have them.
Thanks again
Mike
Swinebuck

KC_Bobby
10-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Thats why we butt up against the fence every year. We only have to defend one side of our castle that way.

The only issue we had was early Friday evening. One older guy (lets say in there 50's) and his wife decided to cut through the large spot behind us and go over our back 4' orange fence. He goes over and I gave him a dirty look and continued to go about my evening food prep, then she tries to go over and rips it off of the post with her fat ass. So I start walking that way give her a real dirty look. The husband proceeds to casually give me some type of Johnson County haha and says they're lost, when I think the truth was that they were too lazy to walk an additional 50 yards around the row. One of the others on our team comments to them that theirs a reason that fence is there and he gets a bit pissy inferring we were in the wrong and they leave.

Fixing the fence was easy, just tacked it back up with the staple gun and didn't have any other problems the rest of the weekend.

Oldbob
10-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Great Post Phil!! Thanks for the Photo's also!!

BBQ_MAFIA
10-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the recap. It sure sounds like an outragous time.

bbqbull
10-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I gotta ask. Are you the same bbqbull that spoke in another place about how bad you've heard the Royal is, and about the "petrified" New Yorker that was there this year?

:eek::eek::eek:

Yep, that was me Doc. Talked to Phil on the phone Sunday and he said he was a bit leary of the dark side.................kinda spooky after sundown.

Me never being to the Royal, I have no idea what its like there.

Now I can state for sure..............lotta yelling going in the background.

Glad you all had a great time!

PigBoy
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Phil and Jorge,

Great to see and visit with you guys! Jorge thanks for the dinner, really enjoyed it. I hope your future is safe. Phil, thanks for this site, although I don't post often it is a routine part of my day. Almost always.

Arlin_MacRae
10-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Wow, Phil - what a great recap. I'm glad you guys had so much fun!

Oh --- a SIGHTING!!! I've seen this guy before! Wish I could remember what his name is, though... :biggrin:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/bbqchef33/American%20Royal%202007/PA062120.jpg?t=1192053001

Sawdustguy
10-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Phil,

I am happy you and Jorge had such a wonderful time. Maybe someday us Polocks will get to go to the Royal.:biggrin:

drbbq
10-10-2007, 08:31 PM
And how tall was that Maytag Repairman anyway? Damn!! :shock:

He's 6'6" and his suit was very blue!

scottyd
10-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Ya know I was on the Dark Side and I was not afraid at all. May be being from the Midwest I just don't know better but man did I have a good time. I walked back and forth from the dark side to the invite side all night Friday with no issues. Man oh man was my first royal a good time. Dr. BBQ, Phil, Jorge, Todd, Randy, Andy, all the guys I got to see again. boy was it a party. I think next year I will stay on the Dark side again. Well we will see!!! Scotty D

drbbq
10-11-2007, 06:55 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

Me never being to the Royal, I have no idea what its like there.

Maybe you'd be best not to speak out about it then.

A huge event like that is bound to have a few incidents, but in this case there are a lot more positive things.

WannaBeBBQueen
10-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks great story, sounds like a lot of fun :biggrin:

Kung Fu BBQ
10-11-2007, 08:41 AM
I wish I would of stopped by more Brethren tents. Looking at the pics I passed many of you without knowing.
I did wonder why Paul Kirk and crew were sitting alone. I walked by his tent a couple of times, just the OCC smokerbike and 4 guys staring at eachother.

ZILLA
10-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I think that Phils description hits it on the head. It was great to meet you all and I had a hoot and a half, but I'm glad to be home. Steve your package will ship out early next week brother, thanks again for the helping hand.

KC_Bobby
10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
For those of you unable to attend ... this pretty much sums up the Royal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuVNDApJss0

Sledneck
10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
For those of you unable to attend ... this pretty much sums up the Royal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuVNDApJss0
I think quite possibly we have found the biggest ash-hole

SmokeInDaEye
10-11-2007, 03:02 PM
He's 6'6" and his suit was very blue!

Nice. Did he ever get your washing machine working?:lol:

bbqbull
10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe you'd be best not to speak out about it then. :eek::eek:

A huge event like that is bound to have a few incidents, but in this case there are a lot more positive things.:biggrin::biggrin:

Hey doc, Im a country boy for the last 25 years plus. Before that I was a townie, less than 10 thousand people.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

spicewine
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Doc: Always a pleasure to see you!! Thanks for the photo OP. I told the Maytag Man that I was Broke---- But that didn't work.:mrgreen: You couldn't have had any better Pit Beeaaaches and they would not devuldge any secrets. Heres to our next meeting. Hope it won't be too long.

Spice

drbbq
10-12-2007, 08:21 AM
It was good to see you too Jay and meet your bro.

We had a great team and a lot of fun. I have a lot of nonsense to attend to when I'm at a place like the Royal so I need good backup, and I had it this weekend. Phil, Jorge, Julie Applegate and her husband Steve kept the camp in fine form the whole weekend.

Dale P
10-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Nice read Phil. Sounds like a blast.

Rub
10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
That's great stuff Phil, thanks. And a HUGE congrats to all the Brethren who earned a walk :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Looking forward to being there in '08 :mrgreen:

The_Kapn
10-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Great report Phil.
Sounds like a great time was had by all!

TIM