PDA

View Full Version : *****Sayville Food Drive*****

Sledneck
10-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

After every contest, we usually have a lot of meat leftover. We all know that after a long weekend of hard work, that this extra meat is either given away, or wasted. For the contest in Sayville, I figured out an alternative to this. I have contacted Island Harvest, a local not-for-profit organization that contributes to the needy.
They said that they would come to Sayville to pick up the extra meat and distribute it to those in need.
Please visit their website at www.islandharvest.org (http://www.islandharvest.org) for more information about them.
In addition, I will have a box set up to collect can goods and such for this organization at my spot all weekend. Please tell your family and friends to please bring a non-perishable item. With the holidays approaching, I figured this was a great opportunity to make a small contribution in true
Brethren fashion.
All teams interested in donating any extra competition food, please let me know.
Thank you for your help!!
Steve

motoeric
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Sled,

That is a great idea. Thank you for looking into this. With Thanksgiving right around the corner I'm sure that the food will be greatly appreciated.

It's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a member of the Brethren.

Eric

pigmaker23
10-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Lets not hope they wait to Thanksgiving to give them the BBQ, Sled, besides the leftovers, I will cook an pork butt also..

Sled,

That is a great idea. Thank you for looking into this. With Thanksgiving right around the corner I'm sure that the food will be greatly appreciated.

It's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a member of the Brethren.

Eric

MilitantSquatter
10-09-2007, 08:16 PM
That's awesome Sled....

I don't care what people say, you really do have a heart !! :biggrin:

Next up... LI Brethren do a Thanksgiving or Christmas cook for charity...

Sledneck
10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
That's awesome Sled....

I don't care what people say, you really do have a heart !! :biggrin:

Next up... LI Brethren do a Thanksgiving or Christmas cook for charity...
Thanks Vinnie, i like doing goodwill and showing "the face of the brethren"
I am all for doing a holiday cook and i can definitely arrange it. Lets just get through that weekend first.

DOVER COMPETITORS: Let me know if you have leftover food as well.I will cooler it give it to Island Harvest (http://www.islandharvest.org) as well.

Yakfishingfool
10-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Good Job sled!!! Wonder if anyone is doing a 50/50 raffle or the like to raise extra $'s. Scott

Sledneck
10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Good Job sled!!! Wonder if anyone is doing a 50/50 raffle or the like to raise extra $'s. Scott
I need to check my schedule and see if i can squeeze that in, actually now that YOU mentioned it you have yourself a job at sayvile THANKS

bbqbull
10-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Excellent thread Sled......

Back in 2001, a non-sanctioned KCBS contest west of my location did something similar.

They had a little contest of 45 teams. Each team did an extra porkbutt. Seems that this particular contest, required each team to donate a porkbutt. It was for charity.

The organizer had the health depts. blessing, took the 45 extra pork butts and shredded and blended all the meat. Donated monster burger bunns, and pops and chips. They made the biggest pulled pork sandwich ive ever seen.
Thow in a little bag of chips a can of soda or pop for $3 bucks.

All proceeds went to the food pantry. I couldnt even eat half of the sandwich, nor could my friends who were with me.
Thats a lot of cash injected into the food pantry fund.

Seems nowdays, health dept. inspectors or their guidlines wont allow that type of contributions. Its really sad in a way IMHO!

motoeric
10-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Lets not hope they wait to Thanksgiving to give them the BBQ, Sled, besides the leftovers, I will cook an pork butt also..

When discussing Thanksgiving, I was referring to:

' In addition, I will have a box set up to collect can goods and such for this organization at my spot all weekend.'

Was the idea of the 50/50 raffle for Island Harvest or for Breast Cancer Help?

Eric

Sledneck
10-10-2007, 01:16 AM
When discussing Thanksgiving, I was referring to:

' In addition, I will have a box set up to collect can goods and such for this organization at my spot all weekend.'

Was the idea of the 50/50 raffle for Island Harvest or for Breast Cancer Help?

Eric
I would think breast cancer

motoeric
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I would agree that Breast Cancer Help, Inc, would be the most logical. Have you looked into the legality of running a raffle?

Let me know if I can help.

FYI, the charity itself will have a booth and will be selling raffle tickets for g/c to different restaurants, signed cookbooks, etc.

Eric

MAsQue
10-10-2007, 02:51 PM
It's probably a bit late for this event, but maybe we could put together something like a "Buck-a-Bone" People's Choice event, except that the fair-goers "pay" for their ribs by giving the participating teams a canned goods item for each sample. Each team could keep on-site a box for the cans, which would be collected at the end of the event. Winning team gets a trophy; food pantry gets the canned goods. Might be better to make the "price" any sort of non-perishable food, as all cans might be too heavy for some people to carry. We'd need to find out how the Suffolk Co. Health Dept would feel about it. Although, they didn't give us a lot of grief at the Patchogue Chili Cook-off. Perhaps Brandon could fill us in on what he had to go through to get serving samples to the public OK'd.

Sledneck
10-10-2007, 09:39 PM
It's probably a bit late for this event, but maybe we could put together something like a "Buck-a-Bone" People's Choice event, except that the fair-goers "pay" for their ribs by giving the participating teams a canned goods item for each sample. Each team could keep on-site a box for the cans, which would be collected at the end of the event. Winning team gets a trophy; food pantry gets the canned goods. Might be better to make the "price" any sort of non-perishable food, as all cans might be too heavy for some people to carry. We'd need to find out how the Suffolk Co. Health Dept would feel about it. Although, they didn't give us a lot of grief at the Patchogue Chili Cook-off. Perhaps Brandon could fill us in on what he had to go through to get serving samples to the public OK'd.
Good luck :rolleyes:

Yakfishingfool
10-10-2007, 10:09 PM
50/50 for breast cancer. Hmmmmm...wonder if I can get some raffle tickets. Just direct everyone to our set-up. Let me work on this....Scott

Sledneck
10-10-2007, 10:21 PM
25+ brethren teams at this contest and so far only anchmormen and my team donating ??figured this was a no brainer

Jeremiah
10-10-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm moving so I have a bunch of can goods that there's really no point in taking with me, will just sit in the new cabinets. I'll bring them, plus whatever meat I have leftover after friends and family have been fed.

nancee
10-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Dude it is
Didn't realize you needed an itemized list...
Was just gonna load up the trailer with stuff...
nancee

25+ brethren teams at this contest and so far only anchmormen and my team donating ??figured this was a no brainer

MAsQue
10-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Dude it is
nancee

What Nancee said.

MAsQue
10-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Good luck :rolleyes:

Strangely cryptic.

Sledneck
10-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Dude it is
nancee
Itemizd list? I am dont know what you are talking about there,,,i would just like a count on which teams are donatig their leftover meat so i can be a organized as to who to collect from after the contest

Sledneck
10-11-2007, 05:42 AM
Strangely cryptic.
Health department can be a pain in the ass

MAsQue
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Health department can be a pain in the ass

Ah! I've never dealt with them outside a restaurant/catering setting, except when they came around to our sites at the Chili Cook-off. I'll gladly take your word on it. Somethings I just don't need to go through for myself.

In re contributions: I was planning on throwing a couple of extra butts on. Being so close to home, we may have a lot of friends and family show up, so I can't be entirely sure what we'll have left over, but I'm telling the lot of them that if they want to eat, they'll have to bring a couple of cans to toss in the box for a donation. [curmudgeon mode] Batardes have gotten free food often enough... [/curmudgeon mode]

Sledneck
10-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Great idea!

Yakfishingfool
10-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Plan on a 50/50 raffle...will get something together I'm sure. Scott

SmokeInDaEye
10-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Can't say how good it'll taste but I'm in.

Lazy Dawg
10-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey Sled.... long time
Amy and I will offer up a butt or two. Any word on the cooks packets to be emailed?

Fred

Sledneck
10-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey Sled.... long time
Amy and I will offer up a butt or two. Any word on the cooks packets to be emailed?

Fred
I dont know anythong about the cooks packet, motoeric?

Sledneck
10-12-2007, 09:33 AM
For those of you participating i am trying to give the people at Island Harvest a time to pick up and would like some sugesstions. After the awards? In between the last turn in and the awards? Thanks

MAsQue
10-12-2007, 09:57 AM
For those of you participating i am trying to give the people at Island Harvest a time to pick up and would like some sugesstions. After the awards? In between the last turn in and the awards? Thanks

I'm suggesting to friends and family that they stop by after the turn-in for sandwiches & left-overs. I'm asking each to bring some canned goods in return. I'll still be collecting donations between turn-in and awards (hopefully), so later is better for me.

lunchlady
10-12-2007, 10:03 AM
... just did something like this in Lowell... they came and picked up all donations at 3. If you have any questions pm me...

Awesome thing to do guys!

Good Luck to everyone cooking!~

Sledneck
10-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks Michelle

Jeremiah
10-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I'll primarily be donating canned goods since I think I'll have enough people visiting to finish off the food, if not I'll donate whatever is left, so I'm thinking if I have a choice the later is better since my visitors might not all show by 3pm. I'll also request they bring canned goods in return.

Lakeside Smoker
10-13-2007, 08:52 AM
We'll be bringing up some canned goods as well.

Michelle did a GREAT job in Lowell, MA with getting the whole thing organized with the food bank. One other great thing she did was collect non food items. Like foil, gloves, paper plates, plastic utensils, ect. As you know we all have way too much of that stuff with us at these comps. so giving some to the needy should not be a big deal for any of us.

Great job Sled for getting this thing rolling.

Mike

Sledneck
10-13-2007, 11:21 PM
A few things i would like to clear up/ For those of you that have offered to cook an extra butt or 2 that is an excellent idea. I understand that this is our home contest and alot of family and friends will be by to sample your goods. In keeping with food safety if you are participating whatever food you are donating as far as leftovers please do so set aside these items and bag them and they can dropped off at your convenience( i will provide bags ziploc bags labeled island harvest ) There will be a central location for this. WIllie has offered the onsite freezer/trailer that the vendors are storing their food in for this(Thank you willie) . As far as feeding friends and family and then turning in whats leftover i dont think that is a very good idea for safety reasons. This is for a great cause and your donations are appreciated

nancee
10-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Sled,
We played this game last week and I think earlier will be better for them than later. We are bringing cans, etc fyi as well...
Nancee

Sledneck
10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Does anybody have any cardboard boxes they can bring for the cans and non perishables? They have to be separated in boxes so that they are not heavy is what i was told. For the donated meats they need to be in tins covered with tinfoil and labeled with a marker as to its contents.
Thanks
Steve

motoeric
10-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Sled,

I've dealt with Island Harvest in the past and they have lent us big tubs that were used for collection of the donations. Give them a yell.

Eric

Sledneck
10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Sled,

I've dealt with Island Harvest in the past and they have lent us big tubs that were used for collection of the donations. Give them a yell.

Eric
i did call them, the above info is what they told me

MAsQue
10-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Does anybody have any cardboard boxes they can bring for the cans and non perishables? They have to be separated in boxes so that they are not heavy is what i was told. For the donated meats they need to be in tins covered with tinfoil and labeled with a marker as to its contents.
Thanks
Steve

I'll check our machine room for boxes the printer paper comes in. Does that size work for you? There is a Stop and Shop on North Main in Sayville that might be willing to set some boxes aside for us if we asked - it's just around the corner from the park.

What kind of tins do we need to put the meat in? Something like a disposable aluminum half-pan?

Sledneck
10-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I'll check our machine room for boxes the printer paper comes in. Does that size work for you? There is a Stop and Shop on North Main in Sayville that might be willing to set some boxes aside for us if we asked - it's just around the corner from the park.

What kind of tins do we need to put the meat in? Something like a disposable aluminum half-pan?
The half pans would be perfect

Sledneck
10-23-2007, 02:20 PM
This is what i recieved from Island Harvest:

It was great and the agency who received the food that evening were elated. We received 200 pds of prepared and perishable foods, 50 pounds of fresh produce and 110 pounds of canned and packaged.

Thank you again

Migdalia Otero, CFR

Island Harvest

Director of Operation

motoeric
10-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Very cool. Thanks to everyone who donated and kudos to Sledneck for setting this up.

Eric

Sledneck
10-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I would like to thank everybody who donated

Yakfishingfool
10-23-2007, 02:28 PM
WTG Sled and crew!!!!!!

Divemaster
10-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Sorry I came to this thread late…

In the future, you may want to contact ‘Uline Shipping Supplies’ for boxes. I used to work for them and they are great at giving out bundles of boxes that were damaged while shipping. They only ship full bundles (25 boxes) and if the top or bottom box has a slight dings or such they are normally scrapped… They have a number of locations around the country so it shouldn’t be tough to find someone going to a comp that could maybe pick them up. (I don’t think they would ship them for free.)

I do know that they have a web site (Uline.com) and the customer service agent should be able to point you in the right direction.

Congratulations on a great drive… I hope to see more of these in the future.

Sawdustguy
10-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Steve,

You did a good thing!

MilitantSquatter
10-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Sled - Those are phenomenal #'s that were collected.

I surely hope that if there were any hungry kids out there, they got to enjoy some kick ass BBQ...

Sledneck
10-24-2007, 03:23 AM
Sled - Those are phenomenal #'s that were collected.

I surely hope that if there were any hungry kids out there, they got to enjoy some kick ass BBQ...
I did not have any decision as to where the food went but from what i understand it was headed to a group home for adults.It goes by a list and the amount of people etc. I don't see many kids besides our own that might be to interested in pulled pork or brisket anyway. The canned goods and paper goods etc that will definitely reach families as it is distributed that way. Many thing's have made me proud to be a brethren but none of them as much as all of you guys did to make this happen. This was an idea that came late in the game and still was very successful. It is my hope that something can be announced much earlier such as when the cooks/judges packet goes out next year this way non-brethren teams would know about it as well.

Sledneck
11-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks to Timzcardz here is the letter from Island Harvest
http://www.cal-lector.com/Brethren/IslandHarvest.pdf

Yakfishingfool
11-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Bad back and all and you had the where with all to keep this thing going. True committment Sled. Congratulations and good mojo to you. Way to go!!! Scott

willkat98
11-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Congrats Sled.

I enjoyed reading the development of this idea, and that letter is pretty cool

Good work to all of you

SmokeInDaEye
11-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Great work, Sled! I hope they enjoyed my very tough brisket.

Westexbbq
11-01-2007, 01:23 PM
We all love it when the plan comes together!
Kudos, plaudits and accolades to Steve and nice going to all who helped.

WannaBeBBQueen
11-01-2007, 01:53 PM
A job well done Steve! Kudos to you...next year will be even better:biggrin:

PS thanks Tim the PDF is great!

bbqbull
11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Thank You Mr. Sled............for helping out some folks less fortunate than us.