PDA

View Full Version : "Barn Burner Bar-B-Q" at Lambs Farm, Libertyville, IL, Oct. 19 & 20

Divemaster
10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Are any of the Brethren going to the "Barn Burner Bar-B-Q" at Lambs Farm?

While I won’t be competing, I am planning on stopping in and would like to meet any one that is.

The_Kapn
10-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Where and when might this be?

TIM

tonto1117
10-02-2007, 03:59 PM
The Smokin' Scotsmen will be there. Hope to see some of ya'll there!!!

10/19 - 10/20 2007
Libertyville, IL
State Championship
Barn Burner Bar-B-Q (http://www.lambsfarm.org/events)
Contact: Kate Cothell, 14245 W. Rockland Road, Libertyville, IL 60048
Phone: 847-990-3816 Fax: 847-362-0742
E-mail: [email protected] ([email protected])
KCBS Reps: LAKE MIKE, LAKE THERESA

Scottie
10-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Are any of the Brethren going to the "Barn Burner Bar-B-Q" at Lambs Farm?

While I won’t be competing, I am planning on stopping in and would like to meet any one that is.

This would be a great contest to jump in and join the fun of competition cooking. wE had a lot of fun at this one last year. Kate, the organizer is also a comp cook and they run a good contest. Plus it's all for a good cause for Lamb's Farm. We will also have 2 of the best reps that KCBS has, with Mike and Theresa Lake.

See you there.

Scottie

Bbq Bubba
10-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Well if Tonto's going, I guess i'll have to tag along!:cool:

Ron_L
10-02-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm planning on judging.

I edited the title of the thread to include the location and date of the competition.

2Fat
10-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm planning on judging.

me too

Ulcer Acres
10-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Ulcer Acres will be there

Divemaster
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
WOW! I guess I didn’t realize that this was that big of a competition…. I’m going to have to start a list to take with me just so I can be sure to meet all of you…

I agree that this one would be a great comp to start on but there is just a little more equipment that I need to get to pull off all four entries…. Fortunately, with the Cubs winning I can say ‘Wait Till Next Year’ for this competition rather than for them….

billm
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
my wife and I will be there judging..may stop up friday night as well just to darken some teams doorsteps

michiana mark
10-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm planning on judging.

I edited the title of the thread to include the location and date of the competition.

I'd like to help judge this event, got my CBJ at Silver lake this year. I have e-mailed Kate and left her a message at her #, until now no response. Any other ideas how to get on the judging list?

Would like to meet some of uou after the judging. Hopefully my son will be joining for the weekend fun.

michiana mark
10-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Huh, I got a hold of her. Nice lady, will be sitting on the bench as of right now. Put me in coach, I'm ready.

Ford
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Great Lakes BBQ should be there if my leg gets better.

Divemaster
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
'Ron L', '2Fat', & 'michiana mark',

Are you guys going to be around on Friday or just Saturday?

I was thinking of just stoping out on Friday, but now that I see there are so many brothers that are going to be there I may swing back on Saturday and cheer them on!

Ron_L
10-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Right now I think it will be just Saturday for me. I am landing at O'Hare after a week in Norway (business) at around 2:00 on Friday. If I have enough energy I may stop by for a while on Friday, but I doubt it.

PimpSmoke
10-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Dang, I should drag the OL out to this one.

tonto1117
10-07-2007, 07:08 AM
I'm planning on judging.

Stop on by Ron I'll try to have a decent cup of coffee for ya:wink:

michiana mark
10-07-2007, 09:34 AM
My son and I will be up friday. He really wants to cook one of these. He was able to get the weekend off work, so we're coming to compete. It will be our first time competing. Will be happy to finish on schedule, and make the turn ins. Hope to meet a bunch of people and have a good time.

Not going to stand on the edge and dip a toe, might as well just jump in. can't do any worse than last.:-P

tonto1117
10-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Good for you Mark!!! I'll tell ya what everyone told us when we first started......Remember to have a good time!!!! See ya there.

parrothead
10-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Get your wild game on won't be making it this year. Ron will be there to represent as a judge like he said. Wish I could make it. It is a very well run contest. Kate did fantastic last year.

Divemaster
10-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Wish I could compete, but the timing just isn’t right (I’ve got to prep for the race in Dallas)… Like I said before, I’m planning on swinging by on Friday to meet as many of the brothers as I can, and hopefully again on Saturday to cheer for all of you….

All I can say is “Wait till next year!”

Coz
10-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I am hoping to be there to observe.Just depends on whether the better half is in the mood for a 3 hour road trip.

tonto1117
10-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I am hoping to be there to observe.Just depends on whether the better half is in the mood for a 3 hour road trip.

If you can make it down Coz . be sure to stop by and say howdy!!!

Bbq Bubba
10-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Bumping this up..........everybody ready for some fall cookin??:wink:

Ulcer Acres
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Ulcer Acres will be there Thursday evening and plan on coming over for biscuts and gravy on Saturday morning at 7:00 am

Divemaster
10-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Does anyone know when it’s open to the public on Friday and Saturday???

The way it looks, I may have to pull an all nighter Friday just to finish off half of the briskets I need to bring down to Dallas…

(I just about got kicked out of Texas last year when I told a state trouper that I had to bring the brisket down from Chicago since they ‘don’t know how to cook it there’. He put his hand on his gun and said ‘I beg your pardon’…. All was well once I gave him a point to take home…)

Ulcer Acres
10-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Its open to the public all weekend. Make sure and stop by the UA mobile office, just look for the flag pole with the Ulcer Acres flag

Bud's BBQ
10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Hope to see you all at this comp. I'll have cheese grits and bacon going Friday morning. Stop over for a cup of joe and the best grits north of Savannah. Also, stop by and hoist one with us to wish the tonto a happy birthday!!

Coz
10-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Not only did I have my weekends mixed up I scheduled my self to cook for mother in laws Birthday this saturday.Pisses me off !I wish all luck Saturday and would some one post the results after the contest actually happens?:confused::eek::cry::mad::lol:

2Fat
10-15-2007, 08:55 PM
'Ron L', '2Fat', & 'michiana mark',

Are you guys going to be around on Friday or just Saturday?

I was thinking of just stoping out on Friday, but now that I see there are so many brothers that are going to be there I may swing back on Saturday and cheer them on!

gonna try get there by 8-9pm to suck someone elses whiskey<lol> then try find the holiday inn that I passed out in last year<sf>---about 4hrs from here--traffic into the city shouldn't be too bad I hope

Ron_L
10-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I just got home from the Lamb's Farm competition. Alex and Kate put on another great show! The field was 34 teams and included a lot of folks who are going to the Jack next weekend. I judged along with BillM and 2Fat (Buzz) from the Brethren site and a couple of folks who were in my judging class back in January.

At my table, we were generally disappointed by the quality of the Q. Out of the chicken there was only one entry that stood out, and it was just OK. One of the entries was so heavily spiced that it took two crackers and a bunch of water to get the flavor out of my mouth before I could go on. One of the rib entries had so much smoke that my tongue went numb. The rest of the ribs were also pretty bad except one which has nice flavor but was a touch dry. The pork was a real disappointment. Two of the entries looked good, but on had no flavor and the other had OK flavor but the bark was so tough that I couldn't bite through it. We were all hoping that we would get some decent brisket entries but that proved not to be true. One entry was very thin slices placed on one leaf of lettuce. I have never seen such poor presentation. Of the others, two entries were so bad that none of the judges took more than one bite. One other entry had some very good burnt ends but the sliced brisket was very undercooked.

There was some good food turned in, however. I saw a beautiful tray of pork at the volunteer's table and tasted a piece. It was great! The table captain said that he tried a couple of great ribs form another table also.

I don't have the full results, but GC was Smokin' Clones and RGC was The Heat Is On. There were a lot of Brethren teams who walked including Scotty, Ulcer Acres, Porkcrastinators, Great Lakes Feed and BBQ, Smokin' Scotsmen (three walks and 12th overall!) and Michiana Mark who finished 10th overall in his first competition and took home the Best New Team honors!

After judging was over I went to talk with the teams. I saw Scottie, Ulcer Acres, Smoke Hunters, KRE Smokers, Porkcrastinators and a bunch of others. While waiting for the awards I pulled up a chair with a Smokin' Scotsmen team and had a chance to meet Tonto, BBQ Bud, BBQ Bubba, Michiana Mark, Divemaster , Ford and one other of the Scotsman who hasn't registered yet (Jeff, right? My brain is numb). After the awards I hang in the camper with the Scotsmen and Tonto made me some good coffee. It's always fun hanging with other Brethren and the Scotsmen are no exception. We had a good time talking about BBQ and cookers and all sorts of stuff. I had to get to a family reunion and had to bail, but I would have stayed longer if I could.

I took some pictures and will post them tomorrow.

bbqbull
10-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Sounds like you all had a great time.
Thanks for judging RonL.
Get some rest brother.

CrimsonSmoke
10-20-2007, 10:22 PM
sounds like a good time was had by all, congrats on the brothers that walked

Ford
10-21-2007, 09:44 AM
36 teams

Overall
GC - Clones 635.9998
RC - The Heat Is On 626.2858
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co. 622.8564
Porkrastinators 618.8570
Cancersuckschicago.com 613.1428
Smokey Joel
KRE Smokers
Quau
Smoken Sour Mash
Roadmaster BBQ (Michiana Mark)

Chicken
Quau
The Heat Is On
Roadmaster BBQ
Smokin Clones
Smoken Sour Mash
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co
Slug Bug
Pig Daddy
Hawg Wash BBQ
Porkrastinators

Ribs The Heat is On
Porkrastinators
KRE Smokers
Smokey Joel
Smoken Sour Mash
Smokin Clones
The Powers of BBQ
Smokin Scotsman
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co.
Cancersuckschicago.com

Pork

Smokin Clones
The Smok'n Cheeseheads
Ulcer Acres BBQ
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co
Smokey Joel
Quau
Slug Bug BBQ
Cancersuckschicago.com
Smokin Scotsman
KRE Smokers

Brisket
Cancersuckschicago.com
Ulcer Acres BBQ
Smokey Joel
The Smoke'n Cheeseheads
Porkrastinators
Roadmaster BBQ
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co.
Smokin Clones
Smoken Sour Mash
KRE Smokers
Great Job by Kate and Alex. I'll do this one next year.

Ron_L
10-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the full results, Ford. It was nice to meet you.

I added bold for the Brethren teams. i think I got everyone. If not, let me know!

Ford
10-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co. Yes I did get 4 calls but they didn't offset Grandpa Cheese with that 1st place call.

Mod note: I added the 9th in ribs

Solidkick
10-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Congrats on the walks!

Did you all feel the scores were low?

Ford
10-21-2007, 01:12 PM
about average for this part of the country.

zabor16
10-21-2007, 02:40 PM
It was a windy affair for sure. Met tonto, nice to put a face with a name. Had a few tastes but nothing really stood out. Had some really bad brisket and dry ribs. We had more fun down in Arthur last weekend, the peoples choice and pig roast there were excellent.

2Fat
10-21-2007, 05:59 PM
After judging probably 20 contests in the last few years think our table had some of the worst that has ever crossed my tongue--one on the chicken plate was above average--two were almost too spicy to eat.
Some of the rib resentations looked like they were done by the flip and throw method--one sample was decent.
Our pork plate was'nt much better---lighter fluid/creosote was a dominating flavour!

But would bet that all but one sample of brisket was a placewinner--great presentations, mostly cooked good, nice flavours with a little use of Joe Ames products also!
Awespme desserts--sure wish they came 1st<LOL>

For those cookes that haven't jusdged--go do it---it is an eyopener for sure!

Bud's BBQ
10-21-2007, 06:29 PM
It was a windy affair for sure. Met tonto, nice to put a face with a name. Had a few tastes but nothing really stood out. Had some really bad brisket and dry ribs. We had more fun down in Arthur last weekend, the peoples choice and pig roast there were excellent.

It was good to see all of the Brethren at LAMB'S. Hope the tasting alluded to above was not our "brisket and dry ribs".

michiana mark
10-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, we had a good time, nice to meet some people from the Brethern. Tonto, Bud, Bubba, Ron L, Divemaster and one that couldn't get registered. Always enjoy a night of 45 degree weather, coupled with a stiff breeze, and a stick burner. All in all had a great time and you'll see us around again. Bubba thanks for the Miller. Yes, I was living the "high life", a good cold Miller and all the BBQ you could eat. Next time stop down and I'll buy you one.:-P

michiana mark
10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
It was good to see all of the Brethren at LAMB'S. Hope the tasting alluded to above was not our "brisket and dry ribs".

Bud, couldn't have been none of mine neither, I hope.:-D

billm
10-22-2007, 07:15 AM
After judging probably 20 contests in the last few years think our table had some of the worst that has ever crossed my tongue--one on the chicken plate was above average--two were almost too spicy to eat.
Some of the rib resentations looked like they were done by the flip and throw method--one sample was decent.
Our pork plate was'nt much better---lighter fluid/creosote was a dominating flavour!

But would bet that all but one sample of brisket was a placewinner--great presentations, mostly cooked good, nice flavours with a little use of Joe Ames products also!
Awespme desserts--sure wish they came 1st<LOL>

For those cookes that haven't jusdged--go do it---it is an eyopener for sure!
Buzz- I would have to agree and as a cook I hate to put down any cooks box as i know firsthand the blood , sweat , and tears a cook puts into those entries..
be that as it may we had some pretty mediocre Q at our table as well..there did seem to be an over abundance of oversmoked or really weird tasting product to be sure..
Did see some really nice looking presentations though
and the caramel cheese cake we judged really was a nice capper to the day..still would like to know how it placed overall

Divemaster
10-22-2007, 09:11 AM
‘A Stiff Breeze’ doesn’t describe it… I’m sure it was a little left of fun around 2-3 in the morning…

I just wanted to thank Walt and Tonto for taking both ‘Ramona’ and myself in and showing us the ropes… Between the two of you, Bubba, and Jeff we really felt like we were amongst friends…

Michiana Mark, Congrats on all of your walks! I’m sure that it made a big impression on your son… what a way to spend a weekend and do some bonding… I’m sure that neither of you well be forgetting it any time soon.

Ron_L, and Ford, It was great to finally put a face to the names… Ford, thanks again for the tour of your setup… It’s really quite impressive, and I have a lot of work ahead of me on mine…

One final note… I’ve been to a few comps, judged a couple too, but all before I joined the Brethren. Since joining, I can say that I haven’t had as much fun at one nor have I met a nicer, more friendly bunch of people…

billm
10-22-2007, 03:16 PM
gotta say though the worst thing I saw was a judge filling up a ziploc with bbq from the volunteers table..when he was politely told to stop he did but he didnt put back what he took either..now I know why judges tend to get dumped on in regards to taking home food..i dont judge often but if this is the norm vs the exception im glad I cook more

Bud's BBQ
10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Sounds like there were some turn ins that really sucked. I gotta believe there was also some pretty good groceries in some of those boxes.

Was great to meet some new brethern: Ron L, Jeff (drivemaster) and the ever charming Ramona (aka, Kathy), MichianaMark and many others that my frazzled brain can't recall.

I only wish that I could have had some of Tonto's third place pumpkin creme brulee dessert!!

Coz
10-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Well it sounds like it was a good outing for most.Sorry I missed it.Lambs farm was aplace we visited several times a year when I was young.They used to have awesome bakery.:lol:

smoke-n-my-i's
10-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Congrats to all....

Divemaster, do you think that there is a way that you could talk Bud and Tonto in to coming down to Lumberton Nov 9-10 and giving me some lessons? ? ? ? ?

I need some help..... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bill

slat
10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Congrats to everyone that walked.

tonto1117
10-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks all. It was our last comp for our first year and it was great to get a few calls and meet some wonderfull folks!!!!.Congrat's to all that walked!!! But I have to say, we brought home our best prize yet. As some of you know we lost our beloved Standard Poodle Wylie back in July...very unexpected, agrresive mouth cancer. Welllll...Lambs farm complex has a pet shop on it's premises. So without further adiu....here's Maggie.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1968/1000856vt4.jpg
By tonto1117 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/tonto1117), shot with KODAK CX6330 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=KODAK+CX6330+ZOOM+DIGITAL+CAME RA&make=EASTMAN+KODAK+COMPANY) at 2007-10-22

Divemaster
10-23-2007, 08:43 AM
But I have to say, we brought home our best prize yet. As some of you know we lost our beloved Standard Poodle Wylie back in July...very unexpected, agrresive mouth cancer. Welllll...Lambs farm complex has a pet shop on it's premises. So without further adiu....here's Maggie.

Congrats on the new member of the team!!! I think I can speak for both me and my team mate that you picked a far better name than we came up with… Ramona didn’t fit, and sorry Walt, but Buckeye didn’t either…

smoke-n-my-i's
10-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Maggie, you cutie you.... see if you can keep momma out of trouble.... :rolleyes:

I know it will be hard, but at least try....

Nice find Tonto... I am sure she will be a nice addition to the team. She will let you know if the samples are ok or not..... listen to her and she will do you well.

Bill

Bbq Bubba
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Sittin down to some leftover pulled pork for lunch, thought i'd throw in my 2 cent's........
Congrat's to Ford for another great showing, and thank's for sharing the single barrel Jack, nice warm up on a chilly nite!!:wink:
Kudo's to MichianaMark......10th place with that kind of competition is amazing!! Hope you decide to do this more often, you and your son have what it take's!!
It was great meeting Ron L and Divemaster, come to find out me and Jeff have a lot in common in cooking Bbq and Nascar!! :biggrin:
Considering the high winds and rain, turned out to be a great weekend of cooking and bonding with new friend's!! The pot luck dinner Sat. nite was awesome and the breakfast shot's weren't to bad either.
Look forward to going to this one next year as our warm-up to the Jack!!:cool:

michiana mark
10-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Sittin down to some leftover pulled pork for lunch, thought i'd throw in my 2 cent's........
Congrat's to Ford for another great showing, and thank's for sharing the single barrel Jack, nice warm up on a chilly nite!!:wink:
Kudo's to MichianaMark......10th place with that kind of competition is amazing!! Hope you decide to do this more often, you and your son have what it take's!!
It was great meeting Ron L and Divemaster, come to find out me and Jeff have a lot in common in cooking Bbq and Nascar!! :biggrin:
Considering the high winds and rain, turned out to be a great weekend of cooking and bonding with new friend's!! The pot luck dinner Sat. nite was awesome and the breakfast shot's weren't to bad either.
Look forward to going to this one next year as our warm-up to the Jack!!:cool:

Thanks for the Kudos and the cold beer. You guys did great also, 12th ain't bad neither.

My son and I are looking forward to more comps in the future. He's trying to talk me into Ft. Lauderdale in Dec. For the life of me I can't figure out why an 19 yr old would want to be on a sunny beach in Fl in Dec. instead of at home in MI. I told him I'd think about it.

Tonto, nice addition to the team. I can still remember the day my cocker died. He was a sry 12 1/2, killed on the road.

Ron_L
10-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Maggie is a cutie, Tonto! Congrats! I like the tractor toy!