PDA

View Full Version : Do you display your past awards at competitions?

Plowboy
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Who brings their awards to comps for display?

chromesporty
09-24-2007, 09:32 PM
If I had some, I'd sure display 'em.

MilitantSquatter
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
I usually do, but it was a pleasure not having to deal with them at the last contest as I left them home for the first time. Not sure what I'll do going forward.

Rub
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I only bring some of my big ones if we are vending. Gotta have some bling to attract the folks over.:biggrin:
If we're not vending, they definitely stay at home, as something almost always breaks off. :mad:

Turk
09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Rub those big checks don't break or do they?

swamprb
09-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Mine are only from Competition cooking CLASSES, I thought about it and decided to keep them for bookmarks and door stops instead. Now that I'm playing with the big boys if I get any they might be displayed!

Brian
Midnight Ramblers

Rub
09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
You should know Shane, yours was 2.5 times bigger than mine! Doh! :roll:
Wanna trade? BTW, you guys heading to the Royal Invitational this year?

KC_Bobby
09-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Now that we have a single 10th place ribbon, you bring up just another item for my bro and I to discuss before the Royal. We might have to go out and get a 4'x8' :roll: cork board so we can proudly display it. :rolleyes:

BBQ_Mayor
09-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Only once. It's a hassel to drag them around and just one more thing to do at a contest. It's not like I have anything else to do.

pigmaker23
09-25-2007, 07:30 AM
We only Bring them to the Larger Contests that involve the public, to much hassle to move them around .

jbrink01
09-25-2007, 07:53 AM
We don't have as many as pigmaker. We only have 6 trophy's, 5 medals, and 5 ribbons (not too bad for 9 attempts if I do say so myself) but no, we don't. It's just more stuff to drag around and less room for Crown Royal.

pigmaker23
09-25-2007, 07:56 AM
with that rig it won't be long before its filled with bling !!! your right not bad at alll for 9 contests

We don't have as many as pigmaker. We only have 6 trophy's, 5 medals, and 5 ribbons (not too bad for 9 attempts if I do say so myself) but no, we don't. It's just more stuff to drag around and less room for Crown Royal.

PigBoy
09-25-2007, 08:06 AM
I only bring some of my big ones if we are vending. Gotta have some bling to attract the folks over.:biggrin:
If we're not vending, they definitely stay at home, as something almost always breaks off. :mad:

I agree, I think if you're vending at a contest, people look at the awards to feel like they are buying the best. Otherwise, I'm just not a blow my own horn kind of guy.

butts a fire
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
I haven't displayed any of my awards at a contest but I think that if I were to win a nice trophy I would take it with me for a while just to show it off.

Jorge
09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Somebody needs to talk YankeeBBQ into posting a pic of their display at Harpoon if he has one.

The Giggler
09-25-2007, 08:21 AM
We've taken em and left em at home. Personally, I like to leave em - one less thing to pack/unpack. Plus they have a tendency to wear.... And you gotta keep em looking nice cuz we don't have many.

We moved last year, and just put em out a couple weeks back. Needed some inspiration and motivation.

Roo-B-Q'N
09-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Nope never thought of it. We have seen it and figured it is just like putting decorations up around your sight. The more you put up, the more you have to take down.
After our first win, I told my wife we needed a trophey room. She told me I needed to have more than one ribbon to warrent a room. After 5 walks this year I still don't have a trophey room. Maybe after 10 :)

MrSmoker
09-25-2007, 08:40 AM
We have displayed ours a few times, DIL likes to do stuff like that. It attracts a lot of attention from the public and can be distracting when your busy.I feel kind of funny doing it because some of my competitors have a lot of trophies and bigger than mine,but they don't display them.We don't get very big trophies here,we get bigger checks.

Swinebuck
09-25-2007, 09:03 AM
We show ours. It represents alot of money invested. We only have one so far. I wish we had the problem of so many they are a hassel!
Thanks
Mike
Swinebuck

BBQchef33
09-25-2007, 09:27 AM
We show ours. Theres only a dozen or so, and they all fit in one box. Its James job to set'em up and take them down.

My feeling is 'why not?'. As a spectator, I always checked out the teams trophies and enjoyed it. It also brings folks around chat with. (Conversation Pieces). Chit, I'll talk to anyone about BBQ and try to convince them that they NEED to go home and get a pit.

and finally, if I did NOT display the Big Wiener trophy, WillieB will reclaim it.

Transformer BBQ
09-25-2007, 10:28 AM
This is Mike's (Lakeside Smokers) picture of ISS:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lakesidesmoker/Harpoon72829/photo#5093078636211514626

There was vending at this, and I know these guys sold out in a couple hours... (they don't put out this display usually)

DawgPhan
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
thanks for the pictures...that certainly looked like a ton of fun...

spicewine
09-25-2007, 10:48 AM
We feel like it's bad Karma. You are only as good as your last contest.

Spice

AlabamaGrillBillies
09-25-2007, 10:52 AM
We have never won any, but noticed everyone else putting theirs up for display and the attention it got them. So being the alabamagrillbies that we are, we went to the thrift store and bought $20 bucks worth of used trophies. We got all kinds, football, chearleader, homecomming queen, model car racing and so on. We proudly display them and don't say to much about them. This got us tons of laughs at our last comp and even some time on TV as a reporter thought the idea was very funny.

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 11:04 AM
We have never won any, but noticed everyone else putting theirs up for display and the attention it got them. So being the alabamagrillbies that we are, we went to the thrift store and bought $20 bucks worth of used trophies. We got all kinds, football, chearleader, homecomming queen, model car racing and so on. We proudly display them and don't say to much about them. This got us tons of laughs at our last comp and even some time on TV as a reporter thought the idea was very funny.

That is farking hilarious!!!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-25-2007, 11:32 AM
I have only done 4 comp and came away with 2 plaques, dont feel the need to show them off, If I won a GC or RGC it might make a difference. Not enough room as it is.

Neal
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
We have displayed some of our bigger ones (GC's and big 1st place trophies). But I am afraid they will get damaged, plus it's one less thing to unpack and pack back up.
I will say that this is one thing that Chris and I occasionally disagree on. But I do like his latest idea: leave the big trophies, plaques and ribbons at home and bring the other stuff we have collected over the years...stuff like the crappy "bookmark" ribbons for 9th place sausage and 10th place sauce. The same ribbons you used to get when you had perfect attendence in grade school.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
This made my day and is one of the funniest things that I've read in a long time.

Timmy
09-25-2007, 12:16 PM
We havent really talked about it, but thinking about it, we never have taken them with us to a comp. So the answer is nope, dont show 'em.

YankeeBBQ
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
When we are vending we definately put out a display. I think at this point I have more trophy parts than trophies, they don't travel very well. If we have a few in the trailer from a comp the weekend before we will put them out just to get them out of the way. But sometimes I'm too lazy to even hang a banner never mind putting up a trophy display !

Pig Headed
09-25-2007, 12:25 PM

Now that's funny!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: I like your sense of humor.

We don't have enough to display. Not sure what we'll do if we win any thing decent. I can definitly see it if you're vending though.

lunchlady
09-25-2007, 12:45 PM
we don't usually bring the bling unless we are vending or it is a big event...like a state championship or something. It is a pain in the butt, and they do NOT like to travel. They also don't like rain and wind too much either.

The only thing I always have in the BBQ bins is our mascot... lunchmeat the pig with the leather Elvis jacket AND the Ziploc bag full of our "windchimes" (the ribbons/medals). If I'm not too lazy I hang them all around the EZ-UP. Sometimes they make pretty noises but mostly they knock people in the head when they get a little too close. Including us!

AlabamaGrillBillies
09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Now that's funny!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: I like your sense of humor.

We don't have enough to display. Not sure what we'll do if we win any thing decent. I can definitly see it if you're vending though.

Glad you gents share in our sense of humor. We are dead serious about competing and have shown significant improvement over our first full year competing. However we don't take ourselves too seriously either. We love the fact that we show up with cookers that cost as much as the front tire on so and so's F350 pulling their $8,000 smoker. We love the looks and laughs we get from folks, and even more we enjoy beating them. We are there to have a good time and cook some good que.

paydabill
09-25-2007, 02:06 PM
I never take them, I only have a couple of trophies and some ribbons, but I rather people not know who I am. Sometimes I do not like putting up my banner.

I would hate to be next to a team that has a table and there I was with my little stash.

Lakeside Smoker
09-25-2007, 02:31 PM
We've only been doing this for just over a year, so I'm real happy with the trophies we have. But every time we take them we break at least one of them. Maybe next year we will leave them home. :-D
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/Picture062.jpg

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
We've only been doing this for just over a year, so I'm real happy with the trophies we have. But every time we take them we break at least one of them. Maybe next year we will leave them home. :-D
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/Picture062.jpg

Did you get the yellow one on the camper at the PAM Invitational Cookoff? :wink:

Pigs on The Run
09-25-2007, 02:50 PM
We have an 80 pound wooden pig for the Bridgeton Nj Gc. I love see anyone haul that thing around lol
http://pigsontherunbbq.blogspot.com/search/label/

Lakeside Smoker
09-25-2007, 03:11 PM
It is a pain in the butt, and they do NOT like to travel. They also don't like rain and wind too much either.

I can think of one of your trophies that is worth the trouble. :-D
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/Picture008.jpg

watg?
09-25-2007, 04:05 PM

Now thats funny!

Bellybro
09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
I figure as soon as we bring them we will fall flat on our face. Bad karma thing like Spice said.

Single Fin Smoker
09-26-2007, 02:00 AM
Like Jorge says, its a Yankee thing.......

Ford
09-26-2007, 06:49 AM
too much work to setup and tear down and keep safe from wanering hands. if I vended a different story.

Now I figue there's really only a handful of contests worth really bragging about for competition cooks. A category win or overall/reserve at the Jack, either Royal, MIM, Houston come to mind. And I'd display a banner announcing that feat not a trophy. Banners are usually given out for those contests and it's easy to have one printed.

MilitantSquatter
09-26-2007, 06:54 AM
We feel like it's bad Karma. You are only as good as your last contest.

Spice

Funny - I said the same thing to Phil and Jorge at Harpoon when I did not bring mine there to display.

We put out Phil's Big Weiner trophy instead.

Sawdustguy
09-26-2007, 07:16 AM
What few we have I do.

billm
09-26-2007, 07:43 AM
no..in fact ours (the few that we have)are sitting in a box in my shed

Scottie
09-26-2007, 11:24 AM
I know you have a nice 1st place pork plaque from Shannon... ;-)

Jorge
09-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Like Jorge says, its a Yankee thing.......

Actually, when I was by the I Smell Smoke site at Harpoon while they were setting up I liked the trophy presentation better. They had some of the monsters set up, and then multiple tubs overflowing with trophies.

Having been given a dose of humble pie by Mr. Farrin when I blew up a couple of briskets....anything he does is just fine with me:biggrin:

Loosenut
09-27-2007, 04:03 PM
We haven't recently. We are trying to cut down on what we bring and that was something easy to leave behind. Not that we have a ton but in a year we have more than a dozen.

Nitrofly
09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Oh yes that's the best Trophy ever.. will get the most use...

I can think of one of your trophies that is worth the trouble. :-D
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/Picture008.jpg

Plowboy
09-28-2007, 10:07 AM
We put out Phil's Big Weiner trophy instead.

If you have a big weiner, might as well display it. I always say.

SmokeInDaEye
09-28-2007, 01:31 PM

My brother-in-law's team did that same thing a few years ago at Memphis in May. We actually got some not so kind words from neighboring teams who took themselves way too seriously. I thought it was great.

MilitantSquatter
09-28-2007, 08:41 PM
You gotta take pics of that !!!!!!!!!

CritterCook
10-01-2007, 05:26 PM
All I can say Pigmaker is "holy Sheet!!" how long you been at it?

We also did the "misc. type trophy display". Most thought it was funny, but some (tight arses) didn't.

Jeff_in_KC
10-01-2007, 06:43 PM
No, Stan... don't even ask! :lol::lol::lol::-P

Bud's BBQ
10-02-2007, 06:50 PM
We proudly display our two ribbons and one placque . . . . . not bad for three comps. I suspect that, like many of you all, as time goes on, checks for real american money are much more worthy of display!

billm
10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I know you have a nice 1st place pork plaque from Shannon... ;-)
in the same box in the same shed..
dont get me wrong..we are proud of our accomplishements but just dont have a need for the hardware..
heck i still got my old drag racing trophies from Oswego Raceway in a box in the rafters of the garage and i worked just as hard if not harder to get those..spent a whole lot more money on that hobby too