PDA

View Full Version : Trophy or Spread The Wealth?

smokincracker
09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Trophy or Spread The Wealth?

I have a subject for discussion.
I went to a contest recently where the contest organizer took the money they would have invested in trophies and put it back into the prize money and spread the pay-out down into 10th place.

This allowed for a payout all the way down thru 10th in each category and down thru 5th overall. Lots of teams got checks and I didnít hear anyone complaining about the lack of trophies. The Grand and Reserve Grand winners got the typical big 3í x 5í poster board check.

What do you guys think?
Trophies or Spread the wealth?

Plowboy
09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Ribbons.

Last two contests paid out to 5th place. Had no problems with that. Would rather get a ribbon down to 10th than a $20 check. Another contest printed certificates from 6th through 10th. Would have rather had a ribbon.

ggriffi
09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Interesting thought. We just had our first "walk" Sat. for a 6th in chicken and were 2.5 points outta the money. The whole way home we talked about what we shoulda/coulda done to get those points. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would rather have the ribbon and keep workin harder to get "in the money".

Just my $.02

gary

Jeff_in_KC
09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Ribbons/plaques for me as well for categories. $20 or so doesn't last long. Ribbons and plaques last forever. I like a payday but for what most contests pay out from 5th through 10th, it's so insignificant, it doesn't matter. For instance, last night, I tore open the envelope for tenth place pork in Dillon and got quarters for the $10 bill to wash my smoker and grates at the carwash. Gone! LOL!

Pork Avenue BBQ
09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I think the more that get a walk and a check makes it better overall for teams to stay interested and not get discouraged.

parrothead
09-24-2007, 11:59 AM
I'll take the ribbon to 10th. Keep the trophies in there! That is the only reason I compete.

The Giggler
09-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Its nice to get a call and have something to show for the effort, and prize money is an added bonus.

Questions: If it was only about the money, how much fun would it really be? And how many people would actually want to be involved?

When you stop to think about it, it is truly amazing how much time, effort, and dollars go into winning a plastic trophy or nylon ribbon. A cheap article and waste to some, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Puppyboy
09-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Prize money is nice but the ribbons are easier to display at the next comp.

When when choosing a contest, pay outs might be what people are looking for.

SP
09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Money is defintly nice but trophies are better looking on the wall.

DawgPhan
09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I look at the payouts when I am picking contests as something to consider...I dont know why...it has been a while since I have had my name called for anything...I also like having all my trophies sitting in my living room when folks come over...One thing that I like about the BBQ contests is the really neat trophies that they come up with.

The Pickled Pig
09-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I prefer the ribbons. A good piece of silk is easier to handle and display than trophies and plaques. And I don't like contests that use generic ribbons or paper certificates.

And the pay-outs for the lower places usually don't even cover the cost of that particular entry.

And while we're on the subject, why don't all contests award through 10th place regardless of the number of teams competing? It's been my experience that cooks like to get calls and tend to go back to contests where they have success. If I were an organizer, I would give out at least 10 ribbons even if there were only 20-25 teams.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
I personally like the "bling bling" after the 20 spot is gone you still have something to show your friends.

Porky
09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I'll take a ribbon worth a couple of bucks any day of the week. The $$ are a nice touch but as was said earlier you can disply the ribbon.

Lakeside Smoker
09-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Trophies 1st to 5th, ribbons 6th to 10th. Top five overall should get trophies and MOST of the money. I've been at comps. where 10th place chicken gets more than 3rd overall!!! It's crazy.

Mike

timzcardz
09-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Who needs money, or trophies, or ribbons. Give me the BBQ groupie chicks!

Hey a guy can dream, can't he?

I have never competed, although I have thought about it recently, and money has nothing to do with considering it, for me at least.

Papa Hogg
09-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Keep the money to the top 5 in each category, with ribbons or medals to the top 10. I have had 3 top 10 calls in the 2 comps I've done, but have not made it to the money yet, it gives me something to shoot for next year.

Next year I will be displaying my silks & medal at the comps I do to intimidate those around me :lol: , you can't do that with a 20 spot.

slat
09-24-2007, 03:09 PM
I would like to see ribbons in the 6-10 places with the money being in the 1-5 places.

Fredbird
09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Trophies and money for Grand and Reserve Grand Champion
Money for first through fifth in each category.
Ribbons for first through tenth in each category.

Pig Headed
09-24-2007, 03:32 PM
I would like to see ribbons in the 6-10 places with the money being in the 1-5 places.

Trophy & money for Grand and reserve. If we were in it for the money, we'd starve to death. The trophys and ribbons last a lot longer.

cmcadams
09-24-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't like getting $25 checks... I'd rather get more money for doing a bit better... And a nice certificate/ribbon for down to 10th.

watg?
09-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I like the trophies and ribbons. I also thought New Holland calling from 15th up was a good idea for a large contest. I think folks like the recognition from the other contestants when getting a call. Money is nice, but I like the call most.

Dale P
09-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I like the memories looking at those trophies. I like the walk too so I think ribbons 4th place to 10th and some sort of trophy and all the money for 1st to 3rd.

smokincracker
09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
thanks for all the feed back
keep it coming please!!!

Plowboy
09-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Several contests this year stared called top 10 & 15 overall at the end. No ribbons, money or trophies except for top 2 most of the time, but people seem to really love hearing the overalls. Lots of cheers and celebrations for 9th overall, and there should be. Costs nothing to call someone's name. Folks like that recognition in front of their peers.

txschutte
09-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Trophy & money for Grand and reserve. If we were in it for the money, we'd starve to death. The trophys and ribbons last a lot longer.

Thank You. I have been kicking around the idea to start a team, but my wife keeps asking if the rewards will pay the bills. I say, Who Cares? I want Trophies and Braggin' Rights.

Sledneck
09-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I cant believe 25 posts on this thread and not one with a mention of 13th. You guys are getting soft. Ribbons or certifiactes 6-1o would be nice

MilitantSquatter
09-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm not picky... checks, throphies, certificates, ribbons, name calls during awards are all good... Real big money is especially good... otherwise trophies are preferred. It's a PITA needing to make time to deposit a check for $25-$50 if you do well enough only to get a few bucks.

Only thing I don't like about ribbons is keeping them from getting creased. I haven't figured out a decent way to display them at contests yet. I put em on the table and the wind blows em away... scotch tape on the back helped but at the last contest, I just left all the awards at home. I got annoyed at the contest before when rain and wind reaked havoc on my display table before I got a chance to tend to that when it started pouring.

Plowboy
09-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm not picky... checks, throphies, certificates, ribbons, name calls during awards are all good... Real big money is especially good... otherwise trophies are preferred. It's a PITA needing to make time to deposit a check for $25-$50 if you do well enough only to get a few bucks.

Only thing I don't like about ribbons is keeping them from getting creased. I haven't figured out a decent way to display them at contests yet. I put em on the table and the wind blows em away... scotch tape on the back helped but at the last contest, I just left all the awards at home. I got annoyed at the contest before when rain and wind reaked havoc on my display table.

I think this calls for a poll. Who displays their awards at comps? I notice that you NEBS folks put out your hardware at comps. You don't see a lot of that in the midwest. Some, but not much. You guys seem to have a lot of trophies, too. We typically have ribbons and a few plaques.

One other thing to mention to organizers is that CASH is preferred. If you have to make a check, make it out to me and not my team name. My bank hates it when I have a check made out to Pork Pullin Plowboys. We don't have a team account.

MilitantSquatter
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
One other thing to mention to organizers is that CASH is preferred. If you have to make a check, make it out to me and not my team name. My bank hates it when I have a check made out to Pork Pullin Plowboys. We don't have a team account.

Forgot about plaques... I like those.

Have not seen cash here yet, but as fas as the checks, every entry form I've seen up here always asked what name the checks should be made out to.

striped pig
09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm still after that first grand trophy and don't want cash instead !! After I have won a million or so trophys like some of you guys, I'd prolly prefer ribbons too. Cash prizes that are less than cost of entry fee should go to the top 3 per catorgy and overall.
stan

Rub
09-24-2007, 10:24 PM
I really like a good looking trophy for the top awards, and at least a decent ribbon or something for the others.
I think to do away with trophies at a BBQ contest would almost be un-American!

Jeff Hughes
09-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Around here a lot of comps give a very nice apron instead of a trophy.

I like the aprons...

txschutte
09-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Trophies are something my son can show his friends and say" I helped win this". You can do it with a $20 bill, but it isnt nearly as cool.

rbsnwngs
09-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Well i was going to ask a smilar question for our event in Sayville but I got my answer right here.

homebbq
09-25-2007, 06:50 AM
I guess it really depends what perspective your coming from on this subject (how often you compete, and how long, and how far you have to travel)...

I don't think trophies and ribbons should be eliminated, most obviously look forward to them.... I know I did, especially the first couple of years competing... If you do this a lot, and for a long time, they (the trophies)actually can become an issue.. For me anymore, something to defray the expenses is more worthwhile.

In this particular contest that Jimmy brings up (Tallahassee, FL FBA), the money awarded in the overall was fairly substancial (it wasn't $10).. I think it went something like this (somebody correct me if I'm wrong),
GC - $2000, RC - $1000, 3rd - $500, 4th - $200, 5th - $100.... I think this is a great trend if it continues... I have finished many times in the top 5 of contests and have come home with next to nothing... It sure helps, especially when it comes time to send in the next entry form...

butts a fire
09-25-2007, 08:06 AM
I would love to have some of the trophies that are out there for the gc and rc of these contests we do. I have only finished in the top 10 overall once and unfortunately they didn't call the name of the top 10 I really like to hear my name called. as far as money I agree with most of the brethern I think that the money should stay with the top 5 in each catagory and ribbons to everone except the GC & RC that is my ultimate goal in competing I want the hardware.

homebbq
09-25-2007, 08:19 AM
I would love to have some of the trophies that are out there for the gc and rc of these contests we do. I have only finished in the top 10 overall once and unfortunately they didn't call the name of the top 10 I really like to hear my name called. as far as money I agree with most of the brethern I think that the money should stay with the top 5 in each catagory and ribbons to everone except the GC & RC that is my ultimate goal in competing I want the hardware.

Hey Chad,

A few questions if you don't mind... How many contests have you, and do you compete in? Also, how many contests are there within 100 miles of your location?

DawgPhan
09-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I guess it depends on who you are and how many you are doing. some folks are doing 20+ contests a year and getting multiple calls each time out...They could probably do without the trophy for 7th place pork and just take the $50. If I were doing and winning tons of events I would probably keep the big and cool trophies and everything else would get tossed or donated at some point. I certainly wouldnt be able to talk the wife into keeping them around...and she would be much happier cashing checks over finding a place to put another ribbon or trophy. As it is, I just want to hear my name called and to pick up some more trophies while I still have room..

Roo-B-Q'N
09-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Every contest but one this year awarded plaques, ribbons ect AND cash down to tenth place. The on that didn't awarded cash to top 3 and GC & RGC with ribbons down to 6th.
I think even if it is a $25.00 check it helps to offset some cost, wether it be washing your cooker or defraying your meat cost or the entry for that category. Every little bit helps when trying to defray the cost of a comp, if it didn't we wouldn't have team sponsors.
So I guess what I am saying is show me the money the awards and call my name!!!!!!!

MoKanMeathead
09-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I like ribbons AND cash. However the ribbons need to be nice. At two contests this year we have received ribbons that just say 1st place or 3rd place - no mention of the category, contest or year - very cheesy! Oh, and forget the certificates - they usually don't survive the ride home.

JohnMcD348
09-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Speaking as someone who hasn't competed yet, but will soon....

I think the trophy/ribbon route would be better. How many people out of the thousands who compete truly go in with the idea they are going to walk for the high dollars. My hopes aren't that high at this point. Also, I don't do it consistently enough and often enough to even think I'd be able to compete at the level of the guys I know and respect there. I just like being there for the fun and community of it.

But then again, I could be wrong...

smokincracker
09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Some of the feedback I got from cook teams described The Big Poster Board Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Checks as very prized possessions. Do you guys like to get these big checks to put on the wall in the trailer or garage?

The_Kapn
09-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Good question Jimmy.

IMHO--There are really two variables at play in this discussion.

1. How big is the field? It is really hard to discuss payout spots till this is considered.

To me, a "smaller" comp of up to about 25 teams needs to recognize the top 5 (20%) in meats and top 2 overall. We actually competed in a KCBS event that "awarded" ribbons and cash down to 10th! Our 8th place ribs earned a ribbon and $15 :oops:
Don't get me wrong--glad to walk and for the bucks, but.....Can almost "Dead Ass Middle" carry any long term bragging rights?

As the size grows and approaches 50 teams, it is time to recognize the top 10 (20%) in each meat and top 3 to 5 overall.

Contests of over 50 teams should result in more places recognized, in general terms. However, I think once you exceed 15 or so places recognized, the value becomes "blurred".

2. What is the history of the team? How many times have they walked and won? This really influences their desire for rewards.

Too me, a nice Trophy is great to show off. Many of the posts above refer to the lasting value of tangible awards.
I also really like those checks that are enough to help offset some of the major bucks we spend :lol:

But, to the full time "Superstars"--they become clutter except for the special trophies from the major events or some sort of "bragging rights" trophy!

As to the event Jimmy was talking about (which was a great one):
I was surprised to see no trophies for the meat categories. They did pay "deep and well" to the categories and overall. Maybe the top 3 could have got "brass" and it would have been a great blend to the awards!

I think the organizer needs to consider all the variables and come up with a blend of cash and brass that works for them.

Now, those poster sized checks are really cool!
As are the banners I have seen awarded to the top finishers in other contests! "BRAGGING Rights" banners!

For me, I/we have some trophies I/we are real proud of.
Have never really had a good payday, so.......
Maybe in a year or two I will look at this differently :oops:

TIM

burnin butts
09-25-2007, 07:59 PM
I think the trophy's need to stay, and ribbons down to tenth. I think that keeps some teams from being discouraged. Maybe keep the newer teams more interested.

DawgPhan
09-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Some of the feedback I got from cook teams described The Big Poster Board Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Checks as very prized possessions. Do you guys like to get these big checks to put on the wall in the trailer or garage?

thanks for posting that top picture...that really brought a smile to my face this AM...

thanks...

Sledneck
09-26-2007, 09:01 AM
I love the big check i received at williepalooza

smokincracker
09-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I like that shirt you have on there Sled!!!!!

Sledneck
09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
I like that shirt you have on there Sled!!!!!
:biggrin: Sure would be nice to get a new one to wear at my double header contest weekend next month:wink: :wink:

rbsnwngs
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
are you bringing the secert sauce

Sledneck
09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
are you bringing the secert sauce
yep:tongue:

butts a fire
09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Hey Chad,

A few questions if you don't mind... How many contests have you, and do you compete in? Also, how many contests are there within 100 miles of your location?

Right now we are competing in 4 contests a year and have been doing it for two years so we have competed in 8 contests total. As far as how many are withing 100 miles I would venture to guess around 50 KCBS contest. If I wanted to I could easily do at least 10 contests within 25 miles of my house. But money is preventing me from doing more than 4 a year at this point. As we all know contests aren't cheap.

smokincracker
09-26-2007, 07:41 PM
:biggrin: Sure would be nice to get a new one to wear at my double header contest weekend next month:wink: :wink:

its on the way

FatBoyz
09-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Ribbons.

Last two contests paid out to 5th place. Had no problems with that. Would rather get a ribbon down to 10th than a $20 check. Another contest printed certificates from 6th through 10th. Would have rather had a ribbon.

We got a nice peace of toilet paper cert for our 9 place ribs and i was pissed no money and a paper signed by the organizer oh my stop the party train im dizzy and need to get off...

Sledneck
09-26-2007, 09:15 PM
its on the way
Thanks professor, you da man

Rub
09-26-2007, 11:13 PM
An event logo'd banner would be a cool GC or RGC "trophy". Good idea.

WannaBeBBQueen
09-27-2007, 07:08 AM
I want my trophy!@!!:biggrin:lol

homebbq
09-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Right now we are competing in 4 contests a year and have been doing it for two years so we have competed in 8 contests total. As far as how many are withing 100 miles I would venture to guess around 50 KCBS contest. If I wanted to I could easily do at least 10 contests within 25 miles of my house. But money is preventing me from doing more than 4 a year at this point. As we all know contests aren't cheap.

Thanks Chad, you are very fortunate having that many contests in your area, and that is very much the exception to the rest of the country. The closest to that would be some areas of Texas.... Myself, I only have 5 contests within 100 miles from my house (in Florida), and that is 2 - KCBS, and 3 - FBA.. And I am actually very fortunate... I'm going into my 6th year competing, and I have averaged between 25 and 30 contests a year, last year being the most I have done at 34 contests, this year should be right around 30... To get to other KCBS contests I have to travel a minimum of about 500 miles... Your very fortunate you don't have to include travel expenses in your costs...

On average it costs me anywhere from $650 to $1000 to do a contest, when you include all the expenses... So, when you doing as many as I am doing, some prize money to offset expenses becomes real important to afford continuing to be able to do this....

watg?
09-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks Chad, you are very fortunate having that many contests in your area, and that is very much the exception to the rest of the country. The closest to that would be some areas of Texas.... Myself, I only have 5 contests within 100 miles from my house (in Florida), and that is 2 - KCBS, and 3 - FBA.. And I am actually very fortunate... I'm going into my 6th year competing, and I have averaged between 25 and 30 contests a year, last year being the most I have done at 34 contests, this year should be right around 30... To get to other KCBS contests I have to travel a minimum of about 500 miles... Your very fortunate you don't have to include travel expenses in your costs...

On average it costs me anywhere from $650 to $1000 to do a contest, when you include all the expenses... So, when you doing as many as I am doing, some prize money to offset expenses becomes real important to afford continuing to be able to do this....

34 contests a year.....wow.....I think thats a lot, but thats just me.

butts a fire
09-27-2007, 10:53 AM

I can't argue with you there I am very fortunate to have that many contests so close to me and it does not cost me as much to do a contest because of my proximity to so many contests. But I also save money by not having very much money tied up in my smokers (I compete with two Bandera's) and don't even have a trailer to pull them with I just throw them in the back of my truck. So for me to compete it is realitvely cheap in comparison to alot of teams. I would like to have the money to cover my expenses also I personally prefer contests that spread more of the money out to the individual catagories instead of having it structured to where the GC get almost all of it and the catagory winners only get like 100 bucks. I would also like to see more contests pay out thourgh 10th overall. Spread the wealth out to more contestants.

DawgPhan
09-27-2007, 02:01 PM
I guess the better question would be would you rather see more money in the categories or in the overall?

Sure GC and RGC are going to get their chunk but but should a category win be better or worse than finishing 3rd-5th overall?

So should I get a check for 10th place ribs or should I just get a ribbon and maybe that money goes to 10th place overall?

I do like the new trend of paying through 5th overall or something like that...