PDA

View Full Version : American Royal (Merged)

Plowboy
08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
We found out today that we'll be in spot 979 in Lot B. That's right in the middle of most of the Invitational guys. We're across from Fast Eddy.

http://www.americanroyal.com/portals/0/07Barbecuemap.pdf

The only reason I found out was because they had to call me about a placement issue. They didn't have the size we ordered, so they had to talk to us about what was left. I think packets come out in about a month.

Pretty happy with the placement. What luck!

Greatgrills
08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Since we have cooked the Royal we have never been on the Invitational side...We are in the north lot...About a 8 minute walk but which one of us couldnt use a litte exercise:-P Todd make sure you lock the potty even with it away from everyone and all your stuff in front of it trust me they will find a way to get in:mad:

quick note being in the north lot is not bad at all because not alot of people are walking by

spicewine
08-03-2007, 12:35 PM
We will be by Friday evening to visit everyone if nothing else, but to keep Mark from whippin McMillen's arse. Or maybe we will just turn him loose and sell tickets.8-) 8-) 8-)

ique
08-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I hope not. Is it ? I was between 2 generator last year and it sucked !

I know, I should of put a ;) in there. It looks like you have team sites on both sides of you so you should be OK.

Scottie
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I was down in 949 last year. You should be good over there Steve. It was all teams, without bands too.

I'll be down in 919 this year.

HoDeDo
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Heehee!!!

Be sure to talk to Andy (HoDeDo), too. KCK.com is a Pit dealer. They'll have pits onsite and you may be able to rent or borrow one.

I can talk to Bobby - there are a couple of cookers that may or may not work for you. He has a double walled "King Gator" that should work.

oddly, the closest thing to your BWS would be our home made "Frankenstein". It is a proofing oven with a gravity fed firebox mounted to it. Can be used with a Guru if you like. Let me know what your needs are, and I'll find out what isn't already ear-marked for use.

why dont you just win the invitational, then you will have your very own Kingfisher to cook on for the open 8-)

HoDeDo
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
We ended up in spot 252 right next to an area where they have a big band and party. Well it is the Dark side of the Moon I guess.

I resemble that remark! Except for the fact that we are waaaay out in Spot 492 (Corner of Party Angle West and Savory Way) Our spot is the G+H.

Plowboy
08-22-2007, 06:31 PM
I resemble that remark! Except for the fact that we are waaaay out in Spot 492 (Corner of Party Angle West and Savory Way) Our spot is the G+H.

You'll be first on my dance card. :rolleyes: Make that last.

nancee
08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
please do let me know what you can do
or we just blow off the open and its a non issue. I am a little concerned about where we end up relying on borrowed gear although they have made it work the few times we have done it before

I am sure if there is a grill of any sort to be won, I will do follow our regular pattern...tanking big time!!
thanks for the help
nancee

I can talk to Bobby - there are a couple of cookers that may or may not work for you. He has a double walled "King Gator" that should work.

oddly, the closest thing to your BWS would be our home made "Frankenstein". It is a proofing oven with a gravity fed firebox mounted to it. Can be used with a Guru if you like. Let me know what your needs are, and I'll find out what isn't already ear-marked for use.

why dont you just win the invitational, then you will have your very own Kingfisher to cook on for the open 8-)

nancee
08-22-2007, 06:37 PM
if it was not for all you pellet heads, they might not need so many generators at contests...

I hope not. Is it ? I was between 2 generator last year and it sucked !

Kung Fu BBQ
08-25-2007, 07:09 PM
We're in 484 again this year, over in the bbq ghetto. It's where we feel comfortable.

KC_Bobby
08-25-2007, 07:47 PM
We're on Rum Runner Road, between Party Angle West and The KCBS Way - 416 Rum Runner Road. Captain Morgan will probably make an appearance.

Kung Fu BBQ
08-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Just got my packet today, was unsure if we'd have the same spot as last year cause we doubled up.

Anyway. We are Booth 484. On the dark side baby!

you're near us. we're on Party Angle West up against the fence. i like the fence cause you only have the side to side nieghbors.

KC_Bobby
08-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Captain Morgan made an appearance last night and my head hurts.

Irrad8
08-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Is it too early to start a thread on who's going to the american royal in oct? maybe state who and if competing (comp) or spectator (spec).

Irrad8 - spec. hopefully fri thru sun

BBQ Grail
08-26-2007, 11:28 AM
It started a long time ago...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30015&page=2

Irrad8
08-26-2007, 11:30 AM
oooops! my bad. thanks for the info

Jeff_in_KC
08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
No, this is late! I started mine in '05 in farkin JUNE I think. :lol: I still catch chit occasionally for that! :lol:

KC_Bobby
08-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Question regarding additional supplies/materials for the Royal compared to other events ... other than fencing and a lock for the port a pot, what other supplies/materials come in handy/needed at the Royal?

Plowboy
08-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Question regarding additional supplies/materials for the Royal compared to other events ... other than fencing and a lock for the port a pot, what other supplies/materials come in handy/needed at the Royal?

I know that we are going to bring a marine cooler or two full of ice. A friend of mine has a couple of fast food restaurants and he lets us fill up on ice for contests.

When it comes to sponsors, someone with an ice machine is one of the best and easiest you can get. Cheap sponsorship for them and you save a ton on ice over the contest season.

spicewine
08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Team Q will be in # 826 in Lot B

KC_Bobby
08-27-2007, 01:09 PM
I know that we are going to bring a marine cooler or two full of ice. A friend of mine has a couple of fast food restaurants and he lets us fill up on ice for contests.

When it comes to sponsors, someone with an ice machine is one of the best and easiest you can get. Cheap sponsorship for them and you save a ton on ice over the contest season.

:rolleyes: Does he want dual signage?

Actually, the price of ice doesn't seem to bad for the Royal. I think I read $7 for 40 lb bags in my packet. We're bringing the Radio Flyer for ice and water runs.

Plowboy
08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
:rolleyes: Does he want dual signage?

Actually, the price of ice doesn't seem to bad for the Royal. I think I read $7 for 40 lb bags in my packet. We're bringing the Radio Flyer for ice and water runs.

For for a long, drunk weekend you think 5, 10, 20 bags if it gets hot?

$70 for ice or $70 for more Vodka? :rolleyes: I like having an ice sponsor. :lol:

We actually don't fly any signage for him because he has Burger King chains. Its not a mom and pop restaurant. He eats well, put it that way. They come out to several comps each year...whenever they can.

billm
08-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I was down in 949 last year. You should be good over there Steve. It was all teams, without bands too.

I'll be down in 919 this year.
Scottie -there was a band right behind us last year..!

KC_Bobby
08-27-2007, 01:28 PM
For for a long, drunk weekend you think 5, 10, 20 bags if it gets hot?

$70 for ice or $70 for more Vodka? :rolleyes: I like having an ice sponsor. :lol:

We actually don't fly any signage for him because he has Burger King chains. Its not a mom and pop restaurant. He eats well, put it that way. They come out to several comps each year...whenever they can.

No doubt - I just don't know of anyone that has an icemaker. However, I do have an old college roommate that sells for Budweiser in KCK.:idea:

Fredbird
08-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Team Q will be in # 826 in Lot B

I like it!:biggrin:

Scottie
08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Scottie -there was a band right behind us last year..!

I couldn't hear them. Perry was in control of the iPod... :wink: Then I went to the dark side and then on to Joel's...

scottyd
08-28-2007, 06:07 PM

I have an ICE sponsor also great one to have. and it really does not put to much of a strain on them for the ICE. Got to love them.

Bubba
08-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Bubba and Jeff's BBQ will be in space #945

KC_Bobby
08-29-2007, 08:55 PM
It's like a phone book ... or at least a business directory.

http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=269

nancee
09-04-2007, 03:44 PM
on wyoming, row of little spots(681-699) across from the gate to lot B? how bad do you suppose it is? I guess the invitational lot is filled with a bunch of guys doing the open but who got in early enuff to get lot B anyhow

so now we're back to the drawing board as to whether to go and be outcasts or do the invitational only or just stay home and save the $ and aggravation

appreciate the experts opinions here...I got to get back to the royal pronto
nancee

YankeeBBQ
09-04-2007, 04:06 PM
on wyoming, row of little spots(681-699) across from the gate to lot B? how bad do you suppose it is? I guess the invitational lot is filled with a bunch of guys doing the open but who got in early enuff to get lot B anyhow

so now we're back to the drawing board as to whether to go and be outcasts or do the invitational only or just stay home and save the $ and aggravation

appreciate the experts opinions here...I got to get back to the royal pronto
nancee We were there 2 years ago. Not bad really. I think that's where Great Grills of fire is located. There's a nice little grassy area across the way to set up a tent.

ique
09-04-2007, 04:10 PM
on wyoming, row of little spots(681-699)

Look good to me, close to turn-ins

nancee
09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
thanks Steve. You make it sound better than the other options...
did you fiqure who is going yet and how everyone is geting there?

We were there 2 years ago. Not bad really. I think that's where Great Grills of fire is located. There's a nice little grassy area across the way to set up a tent.

motley que
09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
why pay for ice. i just drag a cooler into a hotel and use their machine. usually i go back by the kitchen where the commercial unit is and fill up. no one ever asks anything.

nancee
09-04-2007, 04:14 PM
yup, I did notice that also. that would be a pleasant change

Look good to me, close to turn-ins

KC_Bobby
09-04-2007, 07:04 PM

I'd still consider that in lot B, I don't think you'll have to be concerned about the Dark Side if that's your worry. Their will be a waist high fence between you and the official "Lot B", but it has a couple places that are a few feet wide to walk though (assuming they don't put them right next to people's spots) plus it has large drives that go into that lot from both ends of the row of tents you are referring to. You'll also have grass right behind your tent - basically doubling your space size. Google Earth Kemper and I think you'll see it's not too bad - other than the train tracks.

HoDeDo
09-04-2007, 10:38 PM
No doubt - I just don't know of anyone that has an icemaker. However, I do have an old college roommate that sells for Budweiser in KCK.:idea:

So who do you know at Schatz?? Scherzer? Neill? Edison? Guess it depends on if you are my age or my dad's age :shock:

lunchlady
09-05-2007, 07:29 AM
I really hate to say it, but lunchmeat's had a change of cross-country plans and we're not gonna go out to the Royal this time. Gonna focus on the Jack. Too many days to take off from work for everyone to do both. Maybe next year we'll run a cooking class and take in some more $$$...

I'll have to see who I see at the KCBS banquet instead.

Scottie
09-05-2007, 09:37 AM
That's too bad, as the Royal is an experience. Then again, so is the Jack. See you in Lynchburg in October!!!

Scottie

Fredbird
09-05-2007, 03:14 PM
That's too bad, as the Royal is an experience. Then again, so is the Jack. See you in Lynchburg in October!!!

Scottie

So..........you kinda like the Jack? I wonder why?:rolleyes:

paydabill
09-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Doing the invintational only this year. Have not gotten my spot assignment yet. I do know that I have to get out by 4:30. I hope I am in the invitational area. However, i guess I will take what they give me.

scottyd
09-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Doing the invintational only this year. Have not gotten my spot assignment yet. I do know that I have to get out by 4:30. I hope I am in the invitational area. However, i guess I will take what they give me.

I would be calling daily, to get your spot. I would think they are full. so get on the phone.

nancee
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
OK, so we are in Spot 681 on Wyoming so if anyone has any gear, canopies, tables, etc etc we can borrow for the weekend it would be GREATLY appreciated. Hopefully this is not a huge bust but I couldn't resist the opportunity. I am so looking forward to meeting all of you non yankee types!!!
Thanks
nancee

I'd still consider that in lot B, I don't think you'll have to be concerned about the Dark Side if that's your worry. Their will be a waist high fence between you and the official "Lot B", but it has a couple places that are a few feet wide to walk though (assuming they don't put them right next to people's spots) plus it has large drives that go into that lot from both ends of the row of tents you are referring to. You'll also have grass right behind your tent - basically doubling your space size. Google Earth Kemper and I think you'll see it's not too bad - other than the train tracks.

paydabill
09-13-2007, 03:48 PM
I would be calling daily, to get your spot. I would think they are full. so get on the phone.

Called them yesterday 9/11 - my package was being sent out in the mail on 9/10. THanks for the info!

paydabill
09-13-2007, 03:49 PM
OK, so we are in Spot 681 on Wyoming so if anyone has any gear, canopies, tables, etc etc we can borrow for the weekend it would be GREATLY appreciated. Hopefully this is not a huge bust but I couldn't resist the opportunity. I am so looking forward to meeting all of you non yankee types!!!
Thanks
nancee

Are you just doing the open? I will have my stuff their for the invitational. We might be able to hook up. I talking ot the plow boys right now on helping them.

Plowboy
09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks
nancee

Nancee,

Why don't you make a new thread with a list of everything you'd need. We can work together to come up with chit you can borrow. I'm sure between all of us in the KC area, we can get you what you need.

We have a canopy, tables and chairs for you to start. If you are using Blues Hog, I can set you up or Bill will be there selling product, too. (We are back to being wholesale dealers.)

nancee
09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks, we are cooking the invitational as well. Look forward to meeting you!!!
nancee

Are you just doing the open? I will have my stuff their for the invitational. We might be able to hook up. I talking ot the plow boys right now on helping them.

nancee
09-13-2007, 05:08 PM
thanks, I will do that when I get home. Speaking of Bill, he already said he'd bring everything but somehow I decided that relying on Bill alone might not be the smartest idea (although I love him dearly) <GGG>>>!!!
Nancee

Nancee,

Why don't you make a new thread with a list of everything you'd need. We can work together to come up with chit you can borrow. I'm sure between all of us in the KC area, we can get you what you need.

We have a canopy, tables and chairs for you to start. If you are using Blues Hog, I can set you up or Bill will be there selling product, too. (We are back to being wholesale dealers.)

Pigs on The Run
09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Who is going? Also is there a plan to get together?

Plowboy
09-23-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30015

No plans that I know of.

kickassbbq
09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I just received my paperwork from the American Royal Association for Judging the Royal.
See ya all there.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!! And gonna eat some good Q, too.
Smoke On!!!!!!

spicewine
09-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Come see us in # 826 Ed. Bring some Stewardess's with you!!:twisted:

Kung Fu BBQ
09-24-2007, 11:44 PM
I will state this again. I need to meet the brethern. We are in 484. I will be cruisining around on my trusty skateboard looking for you guys. Normally I am akward in social situations so if you see a large tattood man talking to himself saying that it's ok to introduce himself... well thats me.
I know last year someone laid out everyones spot in numerical order. Hope it happens again. (hell I'll do it tomorrow.)
Also it doesn't seem like as many brethren are competing this year. Schedule change?
I hope saturday isn't a bust. We are still inviting people down on Friday and then just going to concentrate on cooking Saturday. Thats the plan on paper at least.

Kung Fu BBQ
09-24-2007, 11:54 PM
ok i was bored

This can't be it?

spicewine Iron works # 826
secondhand smokers #484
purple turtle #681
Bubba and Jeff's BBQ #945
Team Q # 826
Boondoggle BBQ #416
SCOTTY D's BUILT FOR BBQ #252
I Que #876
cancer sucks #919
Pork Pullin Plowboys #979
pellet heads #149

you know the drill copy and paste

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 04:49 AM
secondhand smokers #484
purple turtle #681
Team Q # 826
Boondoggle BBQ #416
I Que #876
cancer sucks #919
pellet heads #149
Ulcer Acres 927
Pellet Envy 908
Bone Suckers 915
I Smell Smoke 944
Sweet Chipotle 139
Great Grills o Fire 091
Kaw Valley & Hodedos 498 & 492
Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co 882
Dodge County Smokers 750
Chick N Pig 787
Lit and Loaded 038
Porkcrastinators 991
Pigs on the Run 761

I know there's more

DeanC
09-25-2007, 06:56 AM
J&C Cooking Krewe, #149

Fredbird
09-25-2007, 07:46 AM
secondhand smokers #484
purple turtle #681
Team Q # 826
Boondoggle BBQ #416
I Que #876
cancer sucks #919
pellet heads #149
Ulcer Acres 927
Pellet Envy 908
Bone Suckers 915
I Smell Smoke 944
Sweet Chipotle 139
Great Grills o Fire 091
Dodge County Smokers 750
Chick N Pig 787
Lit and Loaded 038
Porkcrastinators 991
Pigs on the Run 761

I know there's more

Team Q is in #826. Spicewine Iron Works is not a BBQ team. They do build a great smoker though!:-D

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 08:52 AM
secondhand smokers #484
purple turtle #681
Team Q # 826
Boondoggle BBQ #416
I Que #876
cancer sucks #919
pellet heads #149
Ulcer Acres 927
Pellet Envy 908
Bone Suckers 915
I Smell Smoke 944
Sweet Chipotle 139
Great Grills o Fire 091
Dodge County Smokers 750
Chick N Pig 787
Lit and Loaded 038
Porkcrastinators 991
Pigs on the Run 761
J&C Cooking Krewe 149

Where's Big Creek?

Fredbird
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Teams Q (sponsored by spicewine Iron works) # 826
secondhand smokers #484
purple turtle #681
Team Q # 826
Boondoggle BBQ #416
I Que #876
cancer sucks #919
pellet heads #149
Ulcer Acres 927
Pellet Envy 908
Bone Suckers 915
I Smell Smoke 944
Sweet Chipotle 139
Great Grills o Fire 091
Dodge County Smokers 750
Chick N Pig 787
Lit and Loaded 038
Porkcrastinators 991
Pigs on the Run 761
J&C Cooking Krewe 149

Where's Big Creek?

Team Q is not sponsored by Spicewine Iron Works. BTW, you have Team Q listed twice.

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Team Q is not sponsored by Spicewine Iron Works. BTW, you have Team Q listed twice.

Someone needs a hug.

SP
09-25-2007, 08:59 AM
:-D Todd how about, "Team Q what a bunch of pain in the a$$es. #826":-D

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 09:03 AM
:-D Todd how about, "Team Q what a bunch of pain in the a$$es. #826":-D

Nah, John just needs a hug from Amiee. Then again, who doesn't?

Merl
09-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Merl, of Team Potentially Hazardous, will be cooking at site 801 with T-N-T Que.

Come by for a cold one.
Merl

Neal
09-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Ribs 4 U (Greg) will be right across from us - we're in 750 so I think they are 749 or 751.

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
2 Fat Bikers 953
secondhand smokers #484
purple turtle #681
Team Q # 826
Boondoggle BBQ #416
I Que #876
cancer sucks #919
pellet heads #149
Ulcer Acres 927
Pellet Envy 908
Bone Suckers 915
I Smell Smoke 944
Sweet Chipotle 139
Great Grills o Fire 091
Dodge County Smokers 750
Chick N Pig 787
Lit and Loaded 038
Porkcrastinators 991
Pigs on the Run 761
J&C Cooking Krewe 149
Ribs4U 749
TNT Que 801 (Merl)
MoKan Meatheads 782

Solidkick
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Who's Jim Minion cooking with this year??

Also, what about 2 Fat Bikers?

Fredbird
09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Who's Jim Minion cooking with this year??

Also, what about 2 Fat Bikers?

MoKan Meatheads?

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Sorry, but who are the Pellet Heads? I don't even see them listed on the Royal list.

Kung Fu BBQ
09-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Sorry, but who are the Pellet Heads? I don't even see them listed on the Royal list.

Excellent spot, congratulations. How good are you at poker, I hear an FEC 300 is the prize in the Texas Hold Em tourney. I am thinking about bringing in a ringer. We are in 149, same as last year.

I pulled pellet heads from here, they had a website listed, I had some beers, I just assumed. Please forgive

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Okay, here's the current list. Keep 'em coming.

2 Fat Bikers 953
Bone Smokers 915
Boondoggle BBQ #416
Cancer sucks #919
Chick N Pig 787
Crapshoot BBQ 797 (Zilla)
Dodge County Smokers 750
Great Grills o Fire 091
I Que #876
I Smell Smoke 944
J&C Cooking Krewe 149
Lit and Loaded 038
MoKan Meatheads 782
Partners In Swine (VooDoo) # 807
Pellet Envy 908
Pigs on the Run 761
Porkcrastinators 991
purple turtle #681
Ribs4U 749
secondhand smokers #484
Sweet Chipotle 139
Team Q # 826
TNT Que 801 (Merl)
Ulcer Acres 927

YankeeBBQ
09-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Did Ray change his team name ? I thought it was Bone Smokers not Bone Suckers. I know there's a fine line there... Very fine if you ask me:shock:

Scottie
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
you're on a roll today.... Yes, it is a fine line...

Plowboy
09-25-2007, 02:00 PM
DOH!!! Sorry, Dr.

paydabill
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Ok I need someone to slap me - my wife is sick of it -

I was wanting to get up there Thursday, but my son is playing football and I coach. So I will not even leave Moberly until 8:30. Can I still go to my spot at 11:30. Is that allowed, or do I have to check in.

Now (I know this is goign to sound stupid) the tigers play at 8:15 versus Nebraska (it will be the North championship). I have season tickets I could do the following.

A. after last turn in pack up and drive to Columbia to tailgate for 2 hours and then watch the game. Have someone pick up any awards that I might win (probably unlikely).

B. Go to awards then hall a$$ to Columbia. Get there about 2 quarter and watch the game.

C. Do not worry about just hang out at the Royal and miss the game. Find somone who might be watching it on ESPN, and offer beer for ability to watch game.

All opions appreciated, an answer on if I can get to my spot at 11:30 pm would be great. I would not even set up, I will sleep in car.

TIA
Paydabill

Jorge
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM

voodoobbqIL
09-25-2007, 02:40 PM

DeanC
09-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Ok I need someone to slap me - my wife is sick of it -

I was wanting to get up there Thursday, but my son is playing football and I coach. So I will not even leave Moberly until 8:30. Can I still go to my spot at 11:30. Is that allowed, or do I have to check in.

Now (I know this is goign to sound stupid) the tigers play at 8:15 versus Nebraska (it will be the North championship). I have season tickets I could do the following.

A. after last turn in pack up and drive to Columbia to tailgate for 2 hours and then watch the game. Have someone pick up any awards that I might win (probably unlikely).

B. Go to awards then hall a$$ to Columbia. Get there about 2 quarter and watch the game.

C. Do not worry about just hang out at the Royal and miss the game. Find somone who might be watching it on ESPN, and offer beer for ability to watch game.

All opions appreciated, an answer on if I can get to my spot at 11:30 pm would be great. I would not even set up, I will sleep in car.

TIA
Paydabill

Are you not cooking the Open? We will have the flag flying, the beer flowing, and radio going, sorry no ESPN. I don't think you can get in your spot that late, but I don't know for sure. I would call them and see if you can make a special arrangement. GO MIZZOU!!!!!!

baggs
09-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey Bill, Team Q "WILL" have the game on TV, so stay, and sell your tickets!! :biggrin:

spicewine
09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Fredbird is right!! Spicewine Ironworks does not sponcer Team Q other than providing the $12,000.00 cooker and all of the sauces and rubs that they choose or not for free.:icon_sleepy

Plowboy
09-27-2007, 09:01 PM

Fredbird is right!! Spicewine Ironworks does not sponcer Team Q other than providing the $12,000.00 cooker and all of the sauces and rubs that they choose or not for free.:icon_sleepy

Uh oh! Its all starting to unravel! :wink:

CAT FIGHT!!!!

I'll give both of you hugs tomorrow in Hermann. Unless Amiee will be there. :rolleyes:

Fredbird
09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Uh oh! Its all starting to unravel! :wink:

CAT FIGHT!!!!

I'll give both of you hugs tomorrow in Hermann. Unless Amiee will be there. :rolleyes:

Plowboy are you stirring the pot?:sad:

Plowboy
09-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Plowboy are you stirring the pot?:sad:

Me? Never. :mrgreen:

Fredbird
09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Me? Never. :mrgreen:

Too late you already did.:mad:

Plowboy
09-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Too late you already did.:mad:

<going to my room> :cry:

KC_Bobby
09-27-2007, 09:34 PM
1 week and counting

CTSmokehouse
09-27-2007, 10:14 PM
The BBQ Brethren "From the Backyard to the American Royal!!!"

I am about to do it... WOW!! Flying out 10/4.

Looking forward to meating all the Brethren at the Royal.

I have read all your posts here and would like to meat you all in person ...

I'll be helping Nancee and Greg, Purple Turtles... Go Turtles!

I'm a Yankee but I spent the best 9 years of my life in Indiana (Purdue)... have not been to Kansas City before...looking forward to some good MidWest hospitality!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Kung Fu BBQ
09-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Don't worry we're yankees too depending on who and where you ask.

Dick Anderson
09-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Looking forward to meeting you guys at the Royal! I'll be the guy in Booth #34 next to 5'6" cutout pig pimping calendars for three days.

ique
09-29-2007, 10:41 AM
T
I am about to do it... WOW!! Flying out 10/4.

Great news Cliff, the Royal is quite an experience.

How bout them Sox? :-D

Ford
09-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm in 882 - drop by. I don't walk around much with my knees but I do have the scooter so maybe I can visit a few folks at least in Lot B. I may be cooking solo or may have a helper and of course Vern here is my runner.

Start a new work assignment tomorrow so probaly won't be online much after today until sometime after the Royal. Wish I had one of those Sprint cards now.

Good luck to all going and safe travel.

CTSmokehouse
09-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Great news Cliff, the Royal is quite an experience.

How bout them Sox? :-D

Chris,

The Sox are doing great!!

How about the second half comeback by the Yanks?

Hoping for a Bosox/Yankee American League Championship matchup!!!

See you at the Royal!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Solidkick
09-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Damn! That's a lot of people to try and meet and visit! Hope I can make it around to everyone....it might be easier to have a t-shirt made up that says "Hi...I'm Mr. Kick" and let you guys find me! LOL!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
09-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Don't worry we're yankees too depending on who and where you ask.

Speak for yourself, Yank! :wink:

I'll be an honorary MoKan Meathead for the weekend. Looking forward to it!

scottyd
09-30-2007, 03:04 PM
<going to my room> :cry:

What day are you rolling into the royal??

Plowboy
09-30-2007, 03:08 PM
What day are you rolling into the royal??

Thursday. I'm staying through Sunday night.

Hey, I wore your Scotty D's shirt for awards yesterday in Hermann. I love it. I'm damn sexy in red. :rolleyes:

HoDeDo
09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Thursday. I'm staying through Sunday night.

Hey, I wore your Scotty D's shirt for awards yesterday in Hermann. I love it. I'm damn sexy in red. :rolleyes:

Kim was in her Gray Plowboys shirt... We will be there Thurs - Sunday also..

Did I mention that Goose is going to be GREAT on Thursday night :twisted:

Plowboy
09-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Kim was in her Gray Plowboys shirt... We will be there Thurs - Sunday also..

Did I mention that Goose is going to be GREAT on Thursday night :twisted:

Your Goose will be iced and ready. Just call me your HoDe-Beyotch. :oops:

scottyd
10-01-2007, 06:28 PM
are you guys drinking cosmo's

Plowboy
10-01-2007, 06:55 PM

If that's another word for sipping ice cold Grey Goose straight from the bottle... then yes.

Andy - The Goose is in the freezer.

jbrink01
10-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey,
How was that bottle of Reyka Saturday night?

Plowboy
10-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Hey,
How was that bottle of Reyka Saturday night?

We moved on to Margaritas. Saving it for the Royal. Did kill half the bottle, though. :-P

nancee
10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
can anyone lend me two wristbands for Thursday to be returned when I get in Friday? Don't know if Thursday is even an issue but team members coming early are nervous.
thanks
nancee

KC_Bobby
10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't think you need them until 3:00 Friday. Friday and Saturday are the only admission days based on what the website says.

KC_Bobby
10-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Just thought I'd share

nancee
10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I will let them know, thanks. the other question is whether you can get in Thursday night if its past 9pm...way past 9pm...
nancee

I don't think you need them until 3:00 Friday. Friday and Saturday are the only admission days based on what the website says.

Jeff_in_KC
10-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Where's Big Creek?

Just being a Meathead for the weekend. #782 on "Ribbon Run"!

I find it ironic they named Wayne's "street" Ribbon Run after watching him come running down the very same aisle last year after the Invitational Awards wearing his pork ribbon like a tie and drunker than chit! It was one of those classic moments you never forget! :lol:

Kung Fu BBQ
10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
can anyone lend me two wristbands for Thursday to be returned when I get in Friday? Don't know if Thursday is even an issue but team members coming early are nervous.
thanks
nancee

It shouldn't be an issue. They do start checkin bands until Mid afternooin friday. Only thing going on Thursday is the poker turney.

HoDeDo
10-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Your Goose will be iced and ready. Just call me your HoDe-Beyotch. :oops:

Always a pleasure 8-)

Cosmo's?? puh-lease. It's almost a shame to ruin it with ice :twisted:

I will let them know, thanks. the other question is whether you can get in Thursday night if its past 9pm...way past 9pm...
nancee

We'll need to get you your cooker on thursday also... and let me know what other holes you have in "stuff"

scottyd
10-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Hey I will have a bottle of goose with me stop by for a cocktail. friends are always welcome.All of you

Ulcer Acres
10-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Ulcer Acres will be there. Pulling the trailer in this afternoon, but probably wont be back around until mid afternoon on thursday. Look for the Ulcer Acres flag and the flying carp. Spot 927

Plowboy
10-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Hey I will have a bottle of goose with me stop by for a cocktail. friends are always welcome.All of you

I'll bring the Reyka, compliments of JBrink01. Friends share vodka. Great friends share great vodka. :mrgreen:

SmokeInDaEye
10-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Good luck everyone! Sounds like it's shaping up to be quite a weekend!

KC_Bobby
10-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Especially if the rain decides to hold off, the forecast is getting a little better.

Jorge
10-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Especially if the rain decides to hold off, the forecast is getting a little better.

That should be an ominous sign:razz:

Kung Fu BBQ
10-03-2007, 12:55 PM
whatr are the turn in times for veggies, sides and desserts. I can't seem to find this info anywhere and this is the first year we participating in that part.

Jorge
10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
whatr are the turn in times for veggies, sides and desserts. I can't seem to find this info anywhere and this is the first year we participating in that part.
http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=238

Kung Fu BBQ
10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
damn, the pdf schedule doesn't have that info. Now I look silly

StLouQue
10-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Tomorrow is my first visit to the Royal. I'm not attending as a participant, rather as a CBJ student.

Whether or not I run into any Brethren, I wish those of you competing all the best. Bring one home for your "Brothers (& Sisters) in Smoke."

Jorge
10-03-2007, 01:29 PM
damn, the pdf schedule doesn't have that info. Now I look silly

Only if you don't print it out, and make sure it makes the trip to the site with you8-)

KC_Bobby
10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Who's bringing Ozark Oak lump to the Royal? I'd like to buy a bag to take home and give it a test.

thanks

Plowboy
10-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Added Butcher BBQ (641)

2 Fat Bikers 953
Bone Smokers 915
Boondoggle BBQ #416
Butcher BBQ 641
Cancer sucks #919
Chick N Pig 787
Dodge County Smokers 750
Great Grills o Fire 091
I Que #876
I Smell Smoke 944
J&C Cooking Krewe 149
Lit and Loaded 038
MoKan Meatheads 782
Pellet Envy 908
Pigs on the Run 761
Porkcrastinators 991
purple turtle #681
Ribs4U 749
secondhand smokers #484
Sweet Chipotle 139
Team Q # 826
TNT Que 801 (Merl)
Ulcer Acres 927

Kung Fu BBQ
10-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Johnny on the Spot, our port-a-let supplier, has agreed to service the teamsí rented port-a-lets early Saturday morning at no additional charge to the teams. However, to have your port-a-let serviced, you must have it placed within five (5) feet from the front of your space.

5ft from the front. I think not. That porta pot is being shoved all the way to the back. I don't want anyone thinking it's a public room.

KC_Bobby
10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
I haven't even loaded the truck yet and I'm tired.

Kung Fu BBQ
10-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm all freaked this year. I think we took on too much.

Kung Fu BBQ
10-05-2007, 12:05 AM
I stopped by the Royal to check things out. Our porta pottie was sitting in the middle of the row unlocked. The place was already hopping. I pushed it up against the fence cause people were already using it.
must
protect
port
pottie

Jeff_in_KC
10-05-2007, 07:02 AM
I'm sure when you get back today, it will be turned back around. That won't stop people. now you'll be peeing in top of other people's pee all weekend! :lol:

Plowboy
10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Here's me Goosing Andy (Hodedo) yesterday at the American Royal. Thanks to Jeff@KC for cooking Andy's brisket and ribs at Hermann, I lost the bet for overall score.

Fortunately or unfortunately, we drank about 4/5's of this bottle last night. NOT a good morning. :icon_smil

WineMaster
10-05-2007, 10:30 AM
People should get Pics of there set-up at the Royal. Post as many as possible.
Had a death in the family and am unable to make it down this year, so will have to live the experience over the WWW.

Good luck all, Kick some Arse

Dan

Dustaway
10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Talked to Crapshhot last night sounds like Zila is having a blast so far.

Irrad8
10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
good luck to all the brethren!!!!! the wife and I will be walking around, might see some of you.

rbsnwngs
10-05-2007, 01:22 PM
anyone heard from Dr. Phil yet

RichardF
10-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Looks like I'll be at th Royal after all. Me thinks I will spend my time with Paul Kirk and the RUB gang. Come on over and say hello

Jeff_in_KC
10-05-2007, 11:31 PM
That place is a ZOO tonight! Came home for my daughter's soccer game in the morning then it's back to battle! Saw Wayne, Todd, Jay, John, Brian, Bubba, Jeff, Vern, Ray, Jorge and Phil tonight. I THINK that's it... got pretty lit right off the bat. Y'all take care! Hopefully good reports coming soon!

willkat98
10-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm looking forward to this.

When is it?

Is there still space available?

Jeff_in_KC
10-05-2007, 11:38 PM

When is it?

If you can get here by morning, I hear Ford Allison didn't make it because he pulled a hammy pretty badly. Guess his space is open unless he cancelled and they filled it from a waiting list.

bbqbull
10-05-2007, 11:45 PM

When is it?

Same here, awaiting reports!

Lakeside Smoker
10-06-2007, 12:27 PM
What has more prestige...winning the open or the invitational? Now don't jump all over me I know either one would be INCREDIBLE to win!!!! But is one a bigger deal than the other? The invitational is mostly all Grand Champs, but the open is almost 500 teams!!!! Any thoughts?

QansasjayhawQ
10-06-2007, 03:52 PM
I stopped by the Royal to check things out. Our porta pottie was sitting in the middle of the row unlocked. The place was already hopping. I pushed it up against the fence cause people were already using it.
must
protect
port
pottie

Just like other members of the general public, I assumed that all those porta potties were just like any other porta pottie I've seen out at events like that . . . fair game for everyone.

I was wondering why some of the teams had seemingly been selfish and corralled their units so the doors were facing into their area - and the hay bales help with indicating a 'private' space.

I'd say a 'private' sign would help.

So I was there WAY too early yesterday. I only know one member of one team personally and I THINK I could recognize Wayne and the Meatheads if I saw them in context (I've only met them once - while having a margarita with them, but DANG there are a LOT of teams there!)

Most exciting thing that happened was a guy dropped a pocketful of cash out of his pocket while getting out of a golf cart and I ran around with a few other folks helping him recover it. It was windy too!

There are LOTS of sweet smoker designs to consider . . . and everything from a guy with a single WSM on a trailer (no tent, no easy up, no nothin' but a lawn chair) all the way to the massive motor homes with so many smokers you wonder where they'll find enough fuel for them all.

I'm thinking about going back today since I was so early yesterday that they didn't even want to take my ticket yesterday so it's still here with me.

It'd be way cool to be at the awards ceremony to hear one a team's name called that I would recognize.

stan
10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Just got back from the Royal. What a large array of smokers, rigs and teams. Got to talk to many of the brethren. My first trip to the Royal and had the wife and kids in tow. Sorry we did not get to see all the brethren or talk to much to several of them.

Got to talk with Jorge and finally meet Phil and Ray. That was pretty cool. Saw Zilla for a minute but turn ins were starting for the invitational and he was a little busy.

The wife had a great time looking at smokers and asking many people about their smoker. I think she might be hooked.

Good luck brothers hope that we clean up.

RichardF
10-06-2007, 05:32 PM

When is it?

farker - you know alarms sound if you try and leave the state of Illinois

jvreeland
10-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Anyone have any results on the Invitational?

MilitantSquatter
10-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Anyone have any results on the Invitational?

see here in other thread
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=475159&postcount=6

jvreeland
10-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Totally missed that somehow - thanks!

Plowboy
10-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Don't have a lot of great pics, but here are a few. Including my 11 lb butt.

BBQPrincess
10-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Thx for sharing the pics; great looking food shots there! Hope you guys are enjoying this event and that today will be a great day for you!!!!

Plowboy
10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Thx for sharing the pics; great looking food shots there! Hope you guys are enjoying this event and that today will be a great day for you!!!!

Had a great time for our first ever American Royal. Capped it off tonight with Phil and Jorge for some local Mexican food. Phil specifically said, "NO BBQ."

Some other food pics from our Saturday night dinner.

watg?
10-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Had a great time for our first ever American Royal. Capped it off tonight with Phil and Jorge for some local Mexican food. Phil specifically said, "NO BBQ."

Whats the story on those spuds...man....do they look good!..... cooked in the smoker?

SmokeInDaEye
10-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Looks great, Todd. Didn't see the picture of your butt, though it's probably for the best.:biggrin:

scottyd
10-08-2007, 04:48 PM
congrats Todd on your award.

HoDeDo
10-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks for bringing us some much needed sustenance also!! (Thanks for dinner Jorge)

Phil/Jorge - Thanks for hangin', had a blast with you guys on Sunday night. You are welcome in my site anytime.... but you need to stay when you can polish off the keg we start :twisted:

Plowboy
10-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Looks great, Todd. Didn't see the picture of your butt, though it's probably for the best.:biggrin:

I was trying not to let my pants fall down as we were slicing brisket. I hear that can happen to a guy.

Jorge
10-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Phil/Jorge - Thanks for hangin', had a blast with you guys on Sunday night. You are welcome in my site anytime.... but you need to stay when you can polish off the keg we start :twisted:

No, I really don't:oops:8)

It was good to get to sit down and spend some time talking to you guys as well.

ZILLA
10-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I just got back to San Antonio this morning from the Royal. I had a blast. It was great to meet all of the brothers that I could find and wish I could have visited more.

nancee
10-11-2007, 12:05 AM
OK, Since I finally seem to have recovered from my jaount to KC, the mistakes, the new friendships, the dark side, etc
Seems like now its time to finally post b4 this thread goes bye bye...

Thanks to Andy and Todd for getting me there and keeping me in the contest
Thanks to Chris for being my go to guy
Thanks to Chris Hart for putting up with me not having stuff as usual
(note: this is an across the board post to all)...Buzz, you too
Thanks to Cliff for transports, materials, support, etc
Thanks to everyone else for being there and being pals...or vv

It was great hanging with everyone. Not sure I will do it again anytime soon but loved meeting everyone and again thanks to all for all your help to these fly by nights...

Did I mention thanks to Todd and Andy<G>?!!

Nancee

HoDeDo
10-11-2007, 02:09 PM
OK, Since I finally seem to have recovered from my jaount to KC, the mistakes, the new friendships, the dark side, etc
Seems like now its time to finally post b4 this thread goes bye bye...

Thanks to Andy and Todd for getting me there and keeping me in the contest
Thanks to Chris for being my go to guy
Thanks to Chris Hart for putting up with me not having stuff as usual
(note: this is an across the board post to all)...Buzz, you too
Thanks to Cliff for transports, materials, support, etc
Thanks to everyone else for being there and being pals...or vv

It was great hanging with everyone. Not sure I will do it again anytime soon but loved meeting everyone and again thanks to all for all your help to these fly by nights...

Did I mention thanks to Todd and Andy<G>?!!

Nancee

I'm sorry I didnt make it over more... the time I did finally make it by, you guys were out cold in the tent :rolleyes:

I'm glad everything worked out for you... I know I was looking for coolers, cords, etc. to take over, but sounds like Bill got you hooked up after all.

Glad I could help!!