PDA

View Full Version : What is a "success"?

G$
09-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't want to get too philisophical, and I certainly know the answer to this varies greatly based on differing circiumstances, but I think it would be interesting to hear what other teams consider a "succesful weekend results-wise". So just bear with me an generalize a bit.

Assuming a "small to mid size but well attended competition" (say 30-50 teams), what results would you typically be satisfied with?

For example:
- Any walk.
- A top 5 Overall.
- Two Category Top Tens
- etc.

KC_Bobby
09-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Being our first year, I think we'd call it a success with 1 call and an overall finish in the top 25%.

So far we've done three comps and have yet to get a call (have had two 13ths and a few 18ths) and finished at about the 40% mark everytime - just better than half.

Transformer BBQ
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Its a sucess when you finish the weekend and don't think you have wasted a dollar...

Plowboy
09-10-2007, 10:40 AM
In priority order...

1) A walk. - Always want to hear our name once.

2) Were WE proud of our entries? On occasion, I'll tell Randy that I don't care what the judges think, I'm proud of that box. That is a great feeling when you can satisfy yourself. It rarely happens.

3) Did we have fun?

4) What teams finished directly above and below us +/- 5? There are A LOT of teams in the local circuit that I respect. If we can finish above a few or be within a couple places of others, then there is pride in that.

Sanctioning is another factor. We always put more value on how we finished in a sanctioned contest versus a non-sanctioned. We've been Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion at a non-sanctioned contest, but feel like it didn't count since it was so small.

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I know the "right" answer is probably that a success is just having fun with your team and friends and coming away uninjured! I'm pretty competitive myself so while my wife would probably say turning in what WE know are good entries, I'm with Todd in what he said in another thread... I kind of like to get some silk! Cash is secondary. It's gone before you know it but those ribbons and plaques are forever! We have a lot of fun at most contests but the uninjured part seems to elude me almost every week. :roll:

Plowboy
09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I know the "right" answer is probably that a success is just having fun with your team and friends and coming away uninjured! I'm pretty competitive myself so while my wife would probably say turning in what WE know are good entries, I'm with Todd in what he said in another thread... I kind of like to get some silk! Cash is secondary. It's gone before you know it but those ribbons and plaques are forever! We have a lot of fun at most contests but the uninjured part seems to elude me almost every week. :roll:

When if comes to silk, blue is my favorite color!!! No better feeling than holding a blue ribbon. We now have five blues: Ribs 2004, Dessert 2005, Brisket 2005, Hot Rub 2007, & Hometown Team 2007. Very few compared to a lot of other teams, but we're proud of each one.

acorette
09-10-2007, 11:05 AM
As my first comp is just 2 weeks away, I'm planning on judging my experience with two criteria:

1) Did I have fun?

2) Did I avoid dead last place?

If I can manage those things my first time out, I will call it a success.

Southern Yankee Rotisserie
Cimmeron

jtfisher63
09-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Success to me has changed over the last three competitions. Our first ever comp was in May and our goal was to not be last. We ended up with a walk in brisket and 17th overall out of 38 teams. We felt successful with that. Our next comp we were shooting to be in the top half in the field. We ended up with two walks and 9th out of 23(I think) teams. Our last comp, which was our third, we were shooting for top ten. We eneded up with one walk and ended up 10th overall out of 29 teams. Our next comp is in 3 weeks and it is supossed to have close to 50 teams. I am looking to get atleast one call and get into the top 10. It is quite a goal to achieve and I would consider ourselves successful with a top 20 finish.

Overall we go to have a good time and we always do, but we go to win also.

Jason

Mrs. Sawdust
09-10-2007, 11:27 AM
First and foremost for us is FUN. We compete as a family and spending time with my sister, brother in law and nephews is always a great weekend. Meeting other Bretheren is always enjoyable as well. We always aim to be in the top 10 overall but since our 5th place at the Rock and Ribfest we have been heading in the wrong direction. Being satisfied with our turn-ins is important as well. One day the judges will agree.

G$
09-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I know the "right" answer is probably that a success is just having fun with your team and friends and coming away uninjured!

Hey , I said don't get philisophycal!! :lol:

Bigmista
09-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Being a relatively new team (in our 2nd year of competing) I think we have already been successful.

3rd and 4th in chicken
1st, 4th and 5th in ribs
1st and 3rd in pork
1st, 2nd, 2nd and 5th in brisket

I think successful now for us would be to finish well in all categories. I'd like to walk in every category at one contet.

Plowboy
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I'd like to walk in every category at one contet.

That is an accomplishment I'd like some day, too. This weekend we walked in three categories which was a first for us. One was sausage, outside of the four that count, but I'll take it!!

Kung Fu BBQ
09-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I think the correct answer is when you have a good time and know you put out a good product

jbrink01
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
The big picture answer is of course to be proud of our effort. If I did my best it was a success. With regard to recognition, I want to see 2 or 3 walks, with one of them being top 3 and no score worse than top 33%. Overall of top 10 at a minimum.

If you don't have lofty goals, you'll never get there!

Keri C
09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
If I beat some of the "big boys" in one or more categories, it was a success. (We can't compete around here without cooking against Head Country II, Donny Teel of Buffalo BBQ, Bart Clark of Twin Oaks, and the like.)

If I come in in the top ten overall, it was a success.

If we have people coming back through the People's Choice line a second time to leave their ticket with us and leaving their complements, it was a success. (My PC meats are cooked the same as my comp meats.)

If I get a purty ribbon or two and maybe some $$$, it was a success.

If we all had fun and made some new friends, it was a success.

If I managed to stay out of DAL in anything, it was a success.

If I learned something new from a more experienced competitor, it was a success.

If the wind didn't come up and blow my EZ-Ups away, it was a success.

If I cooked to the best of my ability and was happy with what I turned in (no matter WHAT the judges said) then it was a success.

In my 87-year-old grandmother's opinion, if we had lots of leftovers to deliver to her and her buddies at the senior citizen apartments complex, it was a GREAT success.

If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, at least you shot. Some people never take the time to shoot at all.

Keri C

Bentley
09-10-2007, 12:25 PM
If we can make enough back that it did not cost us to compete. This would probably be our measure of success! Ultimate would be GC!

butts a fire
09-10-2007, 12:25 PM
For us a successful weekend includes a walk. I love to hear my name called and it makes it all seem worth every penny spent when that happens. But even when we don't get called if we can stay in the top half of the field that is a success. We always have a good time doing this and if that ever stops I think I would have to think twice about competing even if we were getting calls regularly not with the time and money if you aren't enjoying it.

Timmy
09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Well as Miron Mixon said "It's all about gettin paid".

we'll smoke u
09-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Just hearing our name is cool but I do look at what categories I do well in and see if I beat one of the big boy's

The_Kapn
09-10-2007, 02:44 PM
I think all the posts above have excellent "markers" of success.

I am with Myron Mixon--except I just need to win a few $$ (at least) so I can come back next time and try again :lol:

My dream??????

Just wanna beat Kevin (HomeBBQ) one time! :oops:
Hell, I will settle for beating him in just one catagory :oops:
Kevin can cook! When I grow up, I wanna cook that good!

TIM

Bigmista
09-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Just hearing our name is cool but I do look at what categories I do well in and see if I beat one of the big boy's

Beating Bentley in brisket is always a succes for me! :twisted:

Bentley
09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Beating Bentley in brisket is always a succes for me! :twisted:

Mista, you need to aim higher Brother! :eusa_clap We need a little side bet on Viejas!

spicewine
09-10-2007, 06:03 PM
SUCCESS ACCORDING TO TEAM Q

When we started cooking together over 7 years ago, our fist thought of success was to just finish in the top 50%

Over the years it was if we can just finish in the top 30%

Then it was if we can only finish in the top 10

Then it was if we could just score a first place in a category or 2

Then it was if we could only finish in the top 5

Then it was if we could only get to Reserve Grand!!

Then it was wouldn't it be great to get a Grand Champ!!

Now it is can we do it again????

Success is what you make of it!! Take your little victories and then set the bar a little higher. Expect bumps in the road along the way and only make small changes. Consistency is the key and time and practice are the fee for success.

Spice

Sawdustguy
09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I just love every aspect of a BBQ contest from family, visitors, cooking, playing with my Spicewine, turn-in and comradrie with my BBQ brothers I thank the good Lord above that I have the good fortune to participate in such things. I am so easy to please that I guess I would have to say if I enjoyed myself it was a success. A walk wouldn't be such a bad thing either.

baggs
09-10-2007, 06:56 PM
What Jay said, but have fun and turn in what you think is great!!!!:-D

The Pickled Pig
09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
I don't think there is a single right answer. Just like there are different ways to BBQ there are different motivations for contests.

The definition of contest success for me has changed over time. Fun used to be the priority. Several years of "fun" during contests resulted in middle of the pack scores with occassional calls. Hearing our name called once at a contest was a great success. This year my attitude has changed and I am now much more concerned about the results. Now I want to win and I want to win consistently. My competitive juices are flowing.

But ask me next year and I'll likely have a different response.

Rub-A-Dub
09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
As my first comp is comming up in January, I think just getter there and getting through the event is a good finish.

widespread
09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
We've been competing for about a year now. This is how I look at it:
Were we happy with our turn-in's?
Did we get a few calls?
No DAL's (especially in chicken)
Did we have fun, was it worth the effort and money we put into it?
Based on all that, I'd have to say our first year has been pretty successful. We've had a great time and met a lot of really good folks. Can't wait to do it some more!

CritterCook
09-11-2007, 06:32 AM
If I had a good time, met more good people, and was proud of what I turned in...then my weekend was a success. Anything else is icing!

Roo-B-Q'N
09-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Like many have said here, I consider a comp a success if Char and I can feel good about our turn ins. This also includes a firm understanding that a turn in box just might be chit. Not that we feel good about it, but we understand it is chit and know what to do next time around.
Yes a call or two is always nice, but so is the good time had and the people met.
Ultimately, we feel we have succeeded if we have not come in DAL (even thought Scottie D says someboday has to be there)