PDA

View Full Version : Do you sauce both sides of your ribs?

Bigmista
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I've heard that some people on rub the top side of their ribs. I was curious about sauce. Do you put the sauce on both sides of the ribs, just the top or turn in a dry rub rib?

jtfisher63
09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
We sauce the bottom side only once and the top twice. I don't like flipping them around much so we only sauce the bottoms when we are pulling them out of the foil.

Jason

Puppyboy
09-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Rub & sauce the top only.

Bigmista
09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Rub & sauce the top only.

What's your reasoning for this?

Fredbird
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I put the rub and the sauce on both sides.

BBQchef33
09-05-2007, 03:42 PM
I sauce and rub both sides.. pay a little less attention to the bottoms though. Jst quick dashs and brushes.

I think it all stems back to years ago, when watching emeril and he was seasoning both sides of something, he said,

"I hate one sided tasting food."

thats stuck and now I feel guilty when I ignore the bottoms. i even put rub on the fat caps of butts and briskets and I know some people ignore them too.

bbqjoe
09-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Ribs were meant to be eaten with the sauce on the side.

paydabill
09-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I never really thought about saucing the bottom side. However, I think I am goign to start.

Bigmista
09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
My logic is that most people bite a rib with the curve going up. You have to get the judges attention on the first bite. So why have all of the flavor stuff on the top if the judges tongue is on the bottom?

Westexbbq
09-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm a both on this one.
Rub and sauce.
Just not much on the bone side.
Sometimes no sauce at all.
Can I change my vote?

Bigmista
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM

If the sauce is on the side, how do you get sauce in the middle of the rib?

I'm a both on this one.
Rub and sauce.
Just not much on the bone side.
Sometimes no sauce at all.
Can I change my vote?

Yes. As soon as you figure out what it is...

Roo-B-Q'N
09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
My logic is that most people bite a rib with the curve going up. You have to get the judges attention on the first bite. So why have all of the flavor stuff on the top if the judges tongue is on the bottom?

I think I am broken then, I have the curve down.

We slather, rub, then cook and then put a slight layer of sauce on the tops only (just like the brisket to give it a shiny finish)

Bigmista
09-05-2007, 04:08 PM
I think I am broken then, I have the curve down.

We slather, rub, then cook and then put a slight layer of sauce on the tops only (just like the brisket to give it a shiny finish)

So when you eat your rib, it looks like a smile instead of a frown? Weird, man...

butts a fire
09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
We sauce and rub both side like most that do it we use less of both on the underside.

bbqjoe
09-05-2007, 04:52 PM
If the sauce is on the side, how do you get sauce in the middle of the rib?

Don't make me come down there!:wink:

CritterCook
09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Sauce and rub both sides. A wise man once told me (Jamee from Natural Born Grillers): You'll never win a KCBS without sauce.

smoke-n-my-i's
09-05-2007, 08:22 PM

I agree with this one... you only have a few seconds to WOW the judges taste buds. And where are the taste buds... on the tongue. So if the sauce is on the top of the rib, and almost everyone eats their ribs with the curve up, how are you going to get that taste to the tongue in the first few seconds???

But don't over due it... too much sauce, and they think you are covering up something....

Bill

Mrs. Sawdust
09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
We rub and sauce both sides. But have paid less attention to saucing the backside.

CTSmokehouse
09-05-2007, 09:21 PM
We rub and sauce both sides. But have paid less attention to saucing the backside.

Me too!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

nthole
09-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Sauce on ribs is evil and wrong.

Evil and wrong I said.

nthole
09-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I agree with this one... you only have a few seconds to WOW the judges taste buds. And where are the taste buds... on the tongue. So if the sauce is on the top of the rib, and almost everyone eats their ribs with the curve up, how are you going to get that taste to the tongue in the first few seconds???

But don't over due it... too much sauce, and they think you are covering up something....

Bill

Bill...no disrespect, but just for fun I'm going to play Devil's Advocate on this.

Ever had a cold? How did things taste? Get something tasty, close your eyes, pinch your nose air tight and eat. Some of the only tastes you'll get are salty and sour.

Your nose plays and incredible part in tasting. If you don't think your nose is picking up those spices on the top of the ribs, hold it shut as you eat one!

Additionally, since most people eat a rib from the side I would argue as they bit down they are most of the time rolling the top of the rib away from themselves, which is brushing off rub onto the their top lip, which is distributing that onto the tip of their tongue when they lick their lips.

What's my point...nothing really. I just felt like arguing :wink:.

BBQ_Mayor
09-06-2007, 06:20 AM

I sauce and rub both sides for the same reason as Bigmista. I want the tastebuds to hit the flavor first. And if its on top and bottom, they can eat the rib any way they want with flavor through and through.

lazyjacres
09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Both sides.........

Loosenut
09-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Both sides.

Timmy
09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I must confess...I am bi on this one. We rub both sides and sauce both sides.

Meat Burner
09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
:smile: Both sides.:mrgreen:

VA BBQ PIRATES
09-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Both sides then another light coat on top just before turn in to make them shine.

smoke-n-my-i's
09-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Bill...no disrespect, but just for fun I'm going to play Devil's Advocate on this.

Ever had a cold? How did things taste? Get something tasty, close your eyes, pinch your nose air tight and eat. Some of the only tastes you'll get are salty and sour.

Your nose plays and incredible part in tasting. If you don't think your nose is picking up those spices on the top of the ribs, hold it shut as you eat one!

Additionally, since most people eat a rib from the side I would argue as they bit down they are most of the time rolling the top of the rib away from themselves, which is brushing off rub onto the their top lip, which is distributing that onto the tip of their tongue when they lick their lips.

What's my point...nothing really. I just felt like arguing :wink:.

No problem here.... a good argument gets some good points brought out.... I had to agree with a CBJ when he was telling this point at this one. That is what they teach them at judging class.... Sounds good to me... I had only been saucing the top of my chicken.... since I started flipping them and saucing both, they are doing better. So, I still stick with my guns on saucing both sides. My ribs still need a little more work on.

The down side to the ribs, and butts, is that I am allergic to pork. Try cooking that stuff without being able to taste it to see how you are doing. It is a reall bummer.... It makes doing a competition real interesting. The last one I did, my pork came in 12th place out of 40 teams..... :shock: And no idea what I am doing.... I just rub, spray, cook, pull, turn in.....

So, I sauce both sides now on not only my ribs, but my chicken.

Bill

Ron_L
09-07-2007, 08:21 AM
I rub both sides to help get the flavor into the meat but I only sauce the top lightly.

Bill

Maybe I am just strange (I know, there's no maybe about it) but when I take a bite of a rib I have the meat side on the top, and I use my teeth to bit the meat off of the bone and then bring the bite into my mouth and onto my tongue. I don't stick my tongue out and lick the bottom of the rib as I bite. The flavor of the rib, sauce and all is distributed across the tongue in the first few seconds of the act of biting and chewing.

timzcardz
09-07-2007, 08:56 AM
I rub both sides, and sauce both sides.

Always made sense to me, and I certainly can't envision a downside.

tonto1117
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Very interesting thread and defintley has me thinking!

bonniesboytoy
09-07-2007, 10:03 AM

Ditto on that..Most just try the ribs and don't sauce. kids like to get messy!!:mrgreen:

bowhnter
09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I voted top only, but that is only IF I sauce. Usually it is on the side or half with half w/out.

bonniesboytoy
09-07-2007, 10:42 AM
I found it, I just looked it up in the Breathren Bible, Quote page 69, chapter 6 verse 9, " thou shalt not sauce ribs". yadda yadda yadda...but then it goes on to say "if requested by those partaking of the juicy riblets, one may and i remind you may put sauce on the side" for their enjoyment...

Bigmista
09-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I voted top only, but that is only IF I sauce. Usually it is on the side or half with half w/out.

There is a "Just a dry rub" option...

bowhnter
09-07-2007, 02:45 PM
There is a "Just a dry rub" option...

I know, but what about the times I sauce? Like I said sometimes just do half of the racks with sauce and the other racks dry. Either choice I selected would not have been right.

The Giggler
09-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Rub and sauce, both sides. Sauce on bottom side once, top side two to three depending on how they look and which sauce we're using.

Muzzlebrake
09-07-2007, 04:37 PM
tough question becuase it is soooo variable.

at home I might throw a little sauce on at the end of the cook, most likely a light coat on both sides. if people would like more, I always have some around for them to add along with hot sauce, horseradish, ketchup and an assortment of other condiments (dont however let me catch you putting ketchup on my ribs!!:evil: ).

for a contest I use much more sauce than I ever would outside of a contest but not so much for flavor, I do it more for appearence. Judges like to see a nice deep shiny finish. this is one of the differences I that have found in competition cooking. the saucce I use on ribs and pork at home is usually an applesauce/molassas mix that while it tastes great is kind of brownish and not going to look very good in a KCBS turn in box.

as far as the great debate over whether or not ribs should have sauce, I think the thing to remember is that sauce is used to compliment whatever it is being used on and shouldnt be overpowering. I think this applies to not only ribs but chicken, pork, brisket, hell even pasta

Citizen Q
09-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I can't vote! I only rub and sauce the bottom. I figger there ain't no meat there, so thats where you need the most flavor.

Young Gun
09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I rub and sauce both sides

AlabamaGrillBillies
09-11-2007, 02:29 PM
I put rub on both b/c I think it helps. I sauce both sides 'cause the people I serve (judges included) are sweet toothed candy hounds and that's how they like it.