PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call for Blue Springs, MO Comp.

clubjoe
09-01-2007, 12:55 PM
R Butts R Smokin will be there. I look forward to meetin everyone who stops by. Good luck to all Brethren!

Plowboy
09-01-2007, 02:13 PM
R Butts R Smokin will be there. I look forward to meetin everyone who stops by. Good luck to all Brethren!

Chit!!! There goes 1st place in chicken. :evil: I'll have FAB C AND Yardbird, so look out!!! (I just want to be just like you, that's all.)

Randy and I will be there. (Note the Location under my avatar.) I'm a sponsor for the contest. Every team gets an 8 oz shaker of rub. I'll also be vending. My goal is to try and get home town team this year.

Jeff_in_KC
09-01-2007, 11:41 PM
We'll be there... got a chicken title to defend!:wink:

smknwhlswife
09-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Good Luck to everyone who is cooking!!! We will be vending on the KS side at the Grinter Apple Fest. Let us who wins!!!

Solidkick
09-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Fond memories of this contest.....Blue Springs was the first contest I ever visited in 2003, went around asking questions, taking notes, eating buck a bone, met a LOT of great people, and was hooked when I left. Came home and bought a Bandera, then found this site....that Blue Springs contest changed my BBQ'n life completely.

Best of luck to all cooking this contest....I'll certainly be thinking of you!

SloppyQ
09-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Chit!!! There goes 1st place in chicken. :evil: I'll have FAB C AND Yardbird, so look out!!! (I just want to be just like you, that's all.)

Randy and I will be there. (Note the Location under my avatar.) I'm a sponsor for the contest. Every team gets an 8 oz shaker of rub. I'll also be vending. My goal is to try and get home town team this year.

You win I moved. We'll be there ( me and the misses that is). We should be set up on the back row by the ball field, come on by and visit when ya can, that goes for everyone. No Cabo Jeff :eek:

Plowboy
09-02-2007, 12:32 PM
We drove through the complex today after church to check out the location. should be plenty of parking. Should be a nice place for a comp.

clubjoe
09-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Are they doing assigned spots or is it first come first serve?

Plowboy
09-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Are they doing assigned spots or is it first come first serve?

Assigned. If you have a long trailer, you may want to get in Thursday night.

Jeff_in_KC
09-02-2007, 02:48 PM
No Cabo Jeff :eek:

No problem! Got my serious hat on this time. :wink:

VGuilford
09-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I'll be there helping a friend out. Randy I'm sure you'll have some of that lump there, I need a bag. Todd I would like to get some more of your yardbird rub also. How much?

clubjoe
09-03-2007, 01:18 PM
We'll have it there. I guess I missed you at Harrisonville. I bring the briquettes and the lump. Remember to look for the Wicked Good Banner along with the Wells Fargo Banner. See ya there.

Kung Fu BBQ
09-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm gonna stop by and adjust peoples dampers randomly.

Jorge
09-03-2007, 03:00 PM
No problem! Got my serious hat on this time. :wink:

Try not to stab your wife this year, unless you are flying in your personal medic!8-)

River City Smokehouse
09-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I will be judging, I finally got my confirmation today. Hope to see some of you there.

KC_Bobby
09-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I sent an email about a week ago to see if they needed more judges. If I don't hear back that they need a judge, anyone in need of an extra hand?

Jeff_in_KC
09-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Try not to stab your wife this year, unless you are flying in your personal medic!8-)

Dang I forgot you and Greg won't be here to help her out! Guess I'll try to get my brisket trimmed Thursday evening at home. :lol:

Jorge
09-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Dang I forgot you and Greg won't be here to help her out! Guess I'll try to get my brisket trimmed Thursday evening at home. :lol:

It was all Greg, I was busy drinking that Shiner you so generously offered...after having that wimpy Corona the night before8-)

Best of luck this weekend!

Jeff@KC
09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I just want to say that I am really excited to cook this weekend, but I have to ask. After getting my packet in the mail, I realized that it pays $150 to win a catagory and $1500 to win. Well that seems kind of mysterious since Butler and Levenworth pay the same but with only 30 entries!! I know that this will be triple points, but I don't think many of us are as worried about the points, I consider myself very lucky just to get a call, so why is the money the same with 75 teams as it is with 25? Not that I am bitching, but I think there is something very wrong!! Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see and cook with all of you, but it takes alot of time and money for all of us to do this! I just think there should be some consistancy from the size of these cookoffs! Not that it really matters, but I just wanted to say that I think there is something wrong!! THANKS

Plowboy
09-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I just want to say that I am really excited to cook this weekend, but I have to ask. After getting my packet in the mail, I realized that it pays $150 to win a catagory and $1500 to win. Well that seems kind of mysterious since Butler and Levenworth pay the same but with only 30 entries!! I know that this will be triple points, but I don't think many of us are as worried about the points, I consider myself very lucky just to get a call, so why is the money the same with 75 teams as it is with 25? Not that I am bitching, but I think there is something very wrong!! Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see and cook with all of you, but it takes alot of time and money for all of us to do this! I just think there should be some consistancy from the size of these cookoffs! Not that it really matters, but I just wanted to say that I think there is something wrong!! THANKS

This is my 5th year cooking this contest. I was surprised, too. The payouts have actually gone up. My first year, I placed 5th in chicken and got $35. The cost for entries is probably higher than the other two contests as well. My entry this year is $250 and was $275 last year.

So why do it? I live in Blue Springs, first of all. Beyond that, it is a well run contest, lots of great teams, and lots of people. There's a unique energy at this contest.

The payouts are low because the contest is all about charity. The Parks and Rec group organizes and runs the contest. The money raised goes to families needing assistance. Despite the low payouts and high entry fees, they sell out spaces every year. Aways 75-80+ teams.

Plowboy
09-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I'll be there helping a friend out. Randy I'm sure you'll have some of that lump there, I need a bag. Todd I would like to get some more of your yardbird rub also. How much?

I'll be vending, so there will be plenty of rub and Blues Hog. I'm selling BBQ Nachos, Baby Backs, and dump cake. Rub is $6.50 for Brethren.

I'm a sponsor for this contest. Every team will get an 8 oz. rub in their goodie bag.

I'm gonna stop by and adjust peoples dampers randomly.

What's a damper? :twisted:

I will be judging, I finally got my confirmation today. Hope to see some of you there.

Randy will be cooking with me, Fitz. Stop by after judging if you can. He'd like to meet you.

Jorge
09-03-2007, 09:36 PM
What's a damper? :twisted:

he meant that he'd pull your plug, you pellet pooper. You guys work out what you want that to mean:twisted:

VGuilford
09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
We'll have it there. I guess I missed you at Harrisonville. I bring the briquettes and the lump. Remember to look for the Wicked Good Banner along with the Wells Fargo Banner. See ya there.

I was there with Jeff, Jeff and Bubba. Just didn't have enough cash on me at the time.

VGuilford
09-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Hope it's not raining while we're trying to set up!!

Jeff_in_KC
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Stiffle yourself, Vern!!! Don't EVEN suggest that possibility!:lol:

Hey Jeff, I agree with Todd (except I don't live there... but close!). There is a unique feeling at this contest. not sure why but it was really enjoyable last year. And it's well run (except for Kids Q turn-in being 11:30 am! :shock: ) As for it being for a charity, If they got enough sponsors (which it seems they should have), they should be able to pay out more. I believe that charity or not, all entry fees should go back to the teams in the form of prize money. When we launch the Pleasant Hill contest, it will be 100% pay back to teams and it's ALL about charities.

clubjoe
09-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Vern...you should have come by and introduced yourself. After the contest we were on cloud 9 and everything was a blurr. Make sure and stop by this weekend.

Plowboy
09-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Got a copy of the contest program: 77 teams. Among them is American Barbecue Systems All Stars and American Barbecue Systems.com. Surprised to see Bobbi and Lee in Blue Springs.

Lots of "usual" names with the exception of no Mean Dean's Smoking Machine or 2-time GC Smokin Mother Ruckers.

Turn in should be a lot closer than it was in the old location. Sheesh!!!

Jeff_in_KC
09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Turn in should be a lot closer than it was in the old location. Sheesh!!!

Tammy never complained. Was it bad? :twisted: If this will be closer, I'll have to think of some other kind of work for her in her spare time. :lol:

Diva
09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Bobbie & Lee are The ABS Cooking Team, they'll be in Cookeville.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plowboy
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Bobbie & Lee are The ABS Cooking Team, they'll be in Cookeville.

Thanks for clarifying. Too many ABS teams.

VGuilford
09-06-2007, 11:34 AM
My friend's wife had to go to the hospital for an emergency procedure last night. So he's not going to compete. Does anyone need any help? I already have the day off. I have a 10x20 that i can bring.

Plowboy
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
30% chance of thunderstorms from 12a Friday until 5pm Friday.

Jeff_in_KC
09-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Mostly east of the KC metro after about 8am though. Might even fire up a big storm towards Sedalia. Rest of the weekend looks fantastic (low 80's). They originally said 90 degrees and lots of sunshine today but we aren't getting the sun and heat so I'm guessing less of a chance of those thunderstorms.

Plowboy
09-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Wow, crazy storm last night. Last round should be hitting any minute and then be gone by 9am. Then its all clear. Looks like a nice weekend for this contest... but I bet last night was a wild ride up there for those that stayed.

KC_Bobby
09-07-2007, 08:59 AM
If anyone is in need of an extra set of hands, runner, auxiliary beer drinker, etc. Let me know!

Plowboy
09-09-2007, 12:10 AM
77 Teams

GC Smoke on the Water
RGC Big Creek BBQ
3 Pork Pullin Plowboys
4 Grilla BBQ Team
5 Bubb and Jeffs BBQ
6 Ts Smokin Pit
7 Flower of the Flame
8 Vincents Smokin Kettle
9 Boys of BBQ and Patty
10 The Slabs.com

Chicken
1. Flower of the Flame
2. Hi Tech Smokers
3. Ornery Brothers BBQ
4. PitSide/Accu Plumbing
5. Fat Cats
6. Pig Newton
7. Smoke on the Water
8. Smokin Cousins
9 Rabbit Gulch Farm Cookers
10 Jeanies Got Wood

Ribs
1 Smokin Hogs BBQ
2 Flamin Yawns
3 Hotchie Cootchie BBQ
4. Boys of BBQ and Patty
5 Fractured Ribs Social Club
6 Pork Pullin Plowboys
7 Bubbas Boys Bar BQ
8. Smoke on the Water
9. Ornery Brothers BBQ

Pork
1. Boys of BBQ and Patty
2. Smoke on the Water
3. American BBQ Systems.com
4. Big Creek BBQ
5. Gremlin Grill
6. Pig Newton
7. Bubba and Jeffs BBQ
8. Blues Brothers BBQ
9 Bare Bones BBQ
10 Grilla BBQ Team

Brisket
1. Ts Smokin Pit
2. Fractured Ribs Social Club
3. Big Creek BBQ
4. Pork Pullin Plowboys
5. Flower of the Flame
6. Grilla BBQ Team
7. Vincents Smokin Kettle
8. Pork Busters
9. Big Wigs BBQ
10. Smoke on the Water

Sausage
1. Swine Flew
2. Too Hot to Handle
3. Mullet Brothers BBQ
4. Dead Meat BBQ
5. We BBQ
6. Pork Pullin Plowboys
7. Rabbit Gulch BBQ
8. Grilla BBQ Team
9. Flower of the Flame
10. Wood Brothers

Chef's Choice
1. Lees Summit Bad Boys
2. Fat Chance BBQ
3. Ornery Brothers BBQ
4. Mullet Brothers BBQ
5. Pig Newton
6. Lil Fiddlers
7. Bubba and Jeffs BBQ
8. Good Fellas BBQ
9. Big Dawgs BBQ
10. Flower of the Flame
<11. Pork Pullin Plowboys - Missed a call by .0002 - Apple Dump cake does it again!>

Home Town Team
1. Pork Pullin Plowboys
2. Vincents Smokin Kettle
3. Gremlin Grill

Plowboy
09-09-2007, 01:09 AM

So Jeff, what did you think of Blue Springs?

It occurred to me that another reason the pay outs are lower than some contests is because they pay out at the same level to six entries, including sausage & chef's choice, instead of the usual four. Some contests will have the occasional 5th entry, and often it pays differently than the classic four KCBS. Blue Springs also has spirit awards, home town team, etc. that also pay a small amount, but they have ribbons for those as well.

Some comps only give ribbons for top 5 or pay for top 5. (The "certificates" at Laurie for 6-10 are kind a cheap.) Personally, I'd rather have a little 'silk' than $10-$20 extra for personal payouts. Just my humble opinion and goes beyond what your initial comment/question, I know.

Was great seeing Bub and you this morning. Sorry we couldn't get over to talk more. Vending kicked our arse along with doing all six entries. The vending turned out great. We could have sold three team's worth of left over comp Q. As soon as our box was out of the gate, the public swarmed on what was left. We had zero leftovers and shut down the vending two hours early.

Paola Greg
09-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Congratulations Jeff, awesome!
Way to go Todd, and Bubba and Jeff, nice job!

SP
09-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Wasn't Jeff (Big Creek BBQ) wanting to quit or something like that the other day? Congrats to all.

Jeff_in_KC
09-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Wasn't Jeff (Big Creek BBQ) wanting to quit or something like that the other day? Congrats to all.

No..

Jeff_in_KC
09-09-2007, 03:24 PM
So Jeff, what did you think of Blue Springs?

It occurred to me that another reason the pay outs are lower than some contests is because they pay out at the same level to six entries, including sausage & chef's choice, instead of the usual four. Some contests will have the occasional 5th entry, and often it pays differently than the classic four KCBS. Blue Springs also has spirit awards, home town team, etc. that also pay a small amount, but they have ribbons for those as well.

Some comps only give ribbons for top 5 or pay for top 5. (The "certificates" at Laurie for 6-10 are kind a cheap.) Personally, I'd rather have a little 'silk' than $10-$20 extra for personal payouts. Just my humble opinion and goes beyond what your initial comment/question, I know.

Was great seeing Bub and you this morning. Sorry we couldn't get over to talk more. Vending kicked our arse along with doing all six entries. The vending turned out great. We could have sold three team's worth of left over comp Q. As soon as our box was out of the gate, the public swarmed on what was left. We had zero leftovers and shut down the vending two hours early.

Still a nice contest, Todd but the "feel" was a little different than at the old location. Didn't you think so? We had a ton of fun just like last year but it kind of felt like I was cooking at a contest I'd never done before.

Question for you though... I see you posted this after 1 AM last night... how the fark were you able to stay awake so long? It was all I could do to stay awake til 10 PM! :lol:

Plowboy
09-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Still a nice contest, Todd but the "feel" was a little different than at the old location. Didn't you think so? We had a ton of fun just like last year but it kind of felt like I was cooking at a contest I'd never done before.

Question for you though... I see you posted this after 1 AM last night... how the fark were you able to stay awake so long? It was all I could do to stay awake til 10 PM! :lol:

It was different. We barely got to see any of our friends. You all were over on the other side of the parking lot.

How were you able to sleep is the better question? I was still wired!

Jeff_in_KC
09-09-2007, 03:42 PM
It was different. We barely got to see any of our friends. You all were over on the other side of the parking lot.

How were you able to sleep is the better question? I was still wired!

:lol: I was wired until about 9 PM before I started to lose it again (20 minutes sleep Friday night). By 10 PM after I'd eaten pizza, I was tired and full and couldn't keep my eyes open.

Yep, I know what you mean... we didn't see many folks other than the Meatheads (right next to us) and Bubba and Jeff. Ran across Lee a couple of times but I know he was really busy as this was his first contest with just him and his wife doing it all. Lee, bro, you did a bang up job under those circumstances! Fun ain't it? :wink:

SloppyQ
09-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Congrats Jeff, Todd, Bubba & Jeff. Good to see all of you again. My ars was dragg'n when we finally got home at 11:00 last night, we were the last to leave the parking lot due to the volunteers were camped next to us with there cooker setting there blocking me from hooking up but that was ok because in my opinion they worked there tails off to get things done at the new site. We had plenty of time to reflect on this one and I feel we did a good job, 20th out of 77 teams, that's the best I've done all year I'll take it this time, just up my goal for the next contest. I hope everyone else had as good a time as I did.
Later brothers

Plowboy
09-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats Jeff, Todd, Bubba & Jeff. Good to see all of you again. My ars was dragg'n when we finally got home at 11:00 last night, we were the last to leave the parking lot due to the volunteers were camped next to us with there cooker setting there blocking me from hooking up but that was ok because in my opinion they worked there tails off to get things done at the new site. We had plenty of time to reflect on this one and I feel we did a good job, 20th out of 77 teams, that's the best I've done all year I'll take it this time, just up my goal for the next contest. I hope everyone else had as good a time as I did.
Later brothers

You were second to last. :lol: We were blocked in as well. The teams around us had nothing done prior to awards. I came back at 10:30p that night to pick up my trailers. There were still football games going on after 11pm!!!

jbrink01
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Todd,
Way to go man!

KC_Bobby
09-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Good job guys. Jeff, I think you left in in Blue Springs ... whatever it was that you lost.

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Good job guys. Jeff, I think you left in in Blue Springs ... whatever it was that you lost.

:lol: Ok, Ok... so I just did a practice cook and re-focused. And maybe my in-laws being there was good luck (we did well at Blue Springs last year when they were). It may get expensive flying them in for every contest next year! :shock: :lol:

VGuilford
09-10-2007, 08:54 AM
How did Tammy's salsa do?