PDA

View Full Version : Compititon Neighbors

AlabamaGrillBillies
08-28-2007, 03:39 PM
We all know what its like to set up next to a bunch of jerks, or the super secrete kind that does everything behind closed doors. Well this last weekend in B'ham I was set up next to the nicest folks in the world. Team High on the Hawg out of TN. Their names were Terry and Brenda. They were nice and friendly as they could be. Let us check out their FEC 100 as neither of us had seen one in use before, let us borrow a measuring cup (what a thing to forget) and were just good people! They brought home some money from this comp and it couldn't have happened to a better set of folks. I'd like to start a thread of 'good guys' Teams you've cooked next to or with and went out of their way to be good ambassadors of BBQ. Lets here your stories.

lunchlady
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
boy am i glad you want the 'good team' list....

Countryhb
08-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Couldn't have found a better neighbor (even though it was only a backyard event) for my first cook than Four Q...Mista made me feel completely at home.

SmokeInDaEye
08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Jack's Down Home in New Holland. As a few brethren witnessed, he rode my arse pretty hard all weekend about my various decisions during the cooking process (I put the ribs on too late, my brisket was trimmed wrong, my chicken was dry, I wasted a good chunk of meat on my chef's choice, I wanted to use a bandaid when I sliced my finger open, etc), but as a new competitor it was exactly what I needed. It's always great to find a seasoned competitor who is willing to take the time to show you things or ask to taste and critique your turn-ins when they could just as easily focus on their own cooking.

And he ended up Reserve Grand so it was a win-win for both of us.

Tinybud
08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
This is a good idea, we've been lucky, we've done 5 events and for the most parts our neighbors have been very nice, we had the gang from Christmas city at cabela's last year, York,pa we had Five families on one side, and patabsaco valley smokers on the other side, KWC from widespread pork at dover, Smoke on the Alleghany this year we learned allot from Mike from Butch's smack your lips bbq. And New Holland we were next to Ringoe's up in smoke, and they are extremely nice couple. We've seen the secret secret people who do everything behind closed doors, We do everything out in the open no big secrets, always willing to help whom ever we are close too. BBQ folks are all around good folks :cool:

Jeff Hughes
08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I set up next to Donny Teal(Buffalo BBQ, Boys From Tornado Alley) in OKC. He cooks alone as do I. This guy is one of the best cooks in the country(Jack Champ, AR Champ), year after year. It was not my first rodeo, but never the less, he was very generous with some tips that have really helped me out. No ego, one of the nicest guys on the circuit.

Darcy with Ring of Fire is another great cook, and is always quick to help out. At Claremore, I forgot all my rubs. He was in my camp when I said "oh chit". He was quick to style me with what I could not throw together from the grocery store.

The good guys on the BBQ circuit are the best...

ggriffi
08-28-2007, 04:44 PM
We have only done one comp so far, and don't remember the guys name, but the team was smok n' sourmash. Great guy.

gary

Solidkick
08-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Wow...it's been a long time since we've done a contest that we're not next to another Brethren team such as Team Q, Chick 'N' Pig, Natural Born Grillers, or Great Grills....it seems we kind of "family up" at a contest when we can....so we're always taking care of each other.....
So...I guess I'll have to go back a few years to Charleston MO contest and speak highly of KRE Smokers from IL. Husband and wife team, I think his name is Kieth.....great folks....we sat around sharing food and stories and just enjoying ourselves.

Then there's always Randy and Marla of Ulcer Acres....I just love those folks to death...there's not 2 better people in the BBQ world than those two!

bbqbull
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
My first contest here in Michigan, I met Dean ????? of Fat Boys Bbq. Nicest guy on the planet. I heard he move to the east coast. Lost contact with him and his family.
2 yrs ago I was neighbor to Curt of McOinkiums Bbq team. Didnt recoginize him as a Brethren Brother. Didnt matter either. Curt and his teamates were some of the funniest and nicest folks you could ever meet.
Somebody forgot their team banner.
Finally we got aquainted and things were just Great!
Anywho we chatted all nite long and into Saturday morning.
Couldnt have ever asked for a better group ofneighbors or friends.
We had a great time for sure.

Sledneck
08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I dont like being next to Poohbah at a comp. He is very serious and not alot of fun

ihbobry
08-28-2007, 05:14 PM
I dont like being next to Poohbah at a comp. He is very serious and not alot of fun

Totally not our experiance @ Harpoon, the only thing he was too serious about was polishing the Big Wiener. Being between Vinny, Willie and the Poohbah @ Hudson Valley was total fun and educational. But if it was our first comp it could have been very distracting.

Jeff_in_KC
08-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Don't EVER set up next to the MoKan Meatheads!!! :shock: Not if you want to go booze-free, have peace and quiet and be bored for 36 hours. :lol: Seriously, if not for Wayne, Bob and the guys, I wouldn't know what I have learned just by being around them. Fun guys, always helpful and serious about doing well at the same time! I'm thankful I met 'em and thankful they're friends. God forbid I was ever on their chit list! :lol:

mds2
08-28-2007, 05:30 PM
We got placed next to Scotty D at one contest and if you have met him you know that we had a good time!

Jorge
08-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Totally not our experiance @ Harpoon, the only thing he was too serious about was polishing the Big Wiener. Being between Vinny, Willie and the Poohbah @ Hudson Valley was total fun and educational. But if it was our first comp it could have been very distracting.

There's something to be said for the Griswald Family Christmas in July with a hula dancer.....

G$
08-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Not exactly what you asked for, but:

At our last competition, there was an older husband and wife team next to us. They were polite, but I think we said 5 words to one another the whole weekend. They just kept to themselves and we were too disorganized, busy, ignorant, or inebriated to chat them up.

Come awards time, this team had, if I recall correctly, TWO 1st place entries and RAN AWAY with Grand Champion. There were 50 teams, so not a small affair by any stretch.

They are J and J Redneck, and I am not sure how much competing they do.

I guess my lesson is we should try and be those "nicest folks in the world" people as well. No telling what you might learn!

tonto1117
08-28-2007, 05:42 PM
We also have had the pleasure of being next to great folks. With ony two comps under our belt so far the first one in GR, we were next to DR Chuckie's BBQ and close to Ford (Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co.) as well as Down Home BBQ - all were very encouraging and helpful. When we walked, they clapped for us as if they had known us for years. At our second comp (Amazon Blazin'), we were welcomed by Big Green Egg and Ham, Bill and Nina of Bill and the Dixie Chicks, and Von and Joe of Smokey Mountain Smokers. Again, all were very encouraging and offered their help if we needed anything.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Jumping Dog (harold and Lisa) are great to be next to as well as Philly Pigs, Dixie Bones, Back Yard Cookers and Windy Acres BBQ..All good people . Alittle fun doesnt hurt, until it goes until 4am or never stops!!

Bigmista
08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow! Where to start?

I can't recall being next to somebody I didn't like. We always seem to have a group of people hanging out with us and we have a ball.

Some of my favorites? In no particular order:

Jay and Monica of Otis and the Bird - Always get some of their fried chicken if you can! Beware of Jay's "Big Cup"!

Bentley, Kristin and Mom of Burnt by the Best - They have adopted me as family and I couldn't be more grateful.

Bowtie Bill and Dan of Tropical Heat - We're next to each other so often that people are starting to think that we are just one team.

Brian of CountryHB - This guy is hilarious even if you aren't on a Road Trip.

Kevin of Single Fin Smoker - One of thiose guy s you jut love having around.

Yakfishingfool
08-28-2007, 06:43 PM
My first and only comp we had Willy B by the front door and two fat pollocks by the back door. Great folks. Willy is freaking hysterical. Teamed with Fred and Chris, I was laughing my arse off most the night. The jap in the mouth while he slept was funny as heck and three times as funny after he awoke and complained of his lips being on fire. Too damn funny!!!

Jeff_in_KC
08-28-2007, 07:42 PM
The jap in the mouth while he slept was funny as heck and three times as funny after he awoke and complained of his lips being on fire. Too damn funny!!!

Hmmm... the ideas are flowing like a river... :twisted: Thanks Scott! :lol:

Bigmista
08-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Gonna start calling Willy B "Hot Lips"?

The Pickled Pig
08-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Great thread! We've met so many wonderful teams it would be impossible to name them. The contest community is great. It would be far easier to name the teams I dislike.

I pretty much like everyone who doesn't file noise complaints against us or attempts to have us forcibly removed.:twisted:

We especially like being next to MoKan because they take some of the heat off of us. The 3AM stereo in the RV incident in Lawrence in 05 or 06 makes my Top 10 All Time BBQ Contest moments.

Like so many of you folks we appreciated the comraderie long before we knew about the Brethren. Come to think of it, why didn't any of you tell us about or invite us to become a part of the Brethren???

Jeff_in_KC
08-28-2007, 08:52 PM
We especially like being next to MoKan because they take some of the heat off of us. The 3AM stereo in the RV incident in Lawrence in 05 or 06 makes my Top 10 All Time BBQ Contest moments.

Ahhh Billy Idol cranked at 3am! Nothing soothes the soul and relaxes the mind like Vital Idol... wish I could have been there to see that! :lol:

Like so many of you folks we appreciated the comraderie long before we knew about the Brethren. Come to think of it, why didn't any of you tell us about or invite us to become a part of the Brethren???

I was gonna tell you at the GAB but you guys hid out behind our van all weekend. i think you were afraid of our daughter! :lol: Or was it my mean wife? ("NO ONE is using our crapper!!!")

HoDeDo
08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
It is RARE that we done have a team that we have met we dont have fun being next to, gosh....

some of the good ones: 3 Ball BBQ, Jack the Ribber, BBQ 2, Smokin Leprechaun, Brothers and Sons BBQ, Bibs and ribs, Mr Bib's Ribs, Rub it til it smokes, Swine Mutiny, Mel's BBQ, Beaux Hawgs... the list could go on forever. Gotta love all the stories too... just sitting and trying to think of all the good neighbors we have had over the years... my list is well over 40 teams. Then there are all the teams that might as well be family... The BBQ community is a pretty amazing thing. Great Thread guys.

Sawdustguy
08-29-2007, 02:41 AM
I agree with Andy. I can't recall being next to a team we didn't have fun with. One of the best and special times we had was being next to Lunchmeat at Harpoon when they won GC. It was a great time and Sully was in rare form. We also got to meet Steph from the Slabs. Did alot of beer, jello shots and cherry's at that comp. It made for a great nights sleep.

Kirk
08-29-2007, 06:35 AM
It is RARE that we done have a team that we have met we dont have fun being next to...
Same here. BBQ comps just tend to draw good folks. Easy to talk to and very helpful. I think the only time I've been miffed at a neighbor was at Yardley this Spring when our neighbor decided to fire up a weedburner at 3 or 4am. I felt like chasing him around the site with it.
We have limited experience to draw from (2 KCBS events) but the first one we were next to the Lost Nation crew who were loud and lots of fun. At New Holland we were next to Verus BBQ and Doug Anderson from Crispy Critters, cooking solo as Wine & Swine I think. I had never met Doug before but he let me know what kind of guy he was by offering us a cold beer at 10:30 Friday morning and then gave us tips all weekend. Mark and the crew at Verus were just good folk and I hope I can get that same spot next year.

Loosenut
08-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Being our first year we definitely have a lot to learn. We have been luckly enough to be placed by Poobah and the Anchorman who have both been very helpful. I have to admit that everyone has been extremely nice to us. As much as I don't want to like those guys that keep whooping up on us they are actually pretty nice and helpful.

MoKanMeathead
08-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Don't EVER set up next to the MoKan Meatheads!!! :shock: Not if you want to go booze-free, have peace and quiet and be bored for 36 hours. :lol: Seriously, if not for Wayne, Bob and the guys, I wouldn't know what I have learned just by being around them. Fun guys, always helpful and serious about doing well at the same time! I'm thankful I met 'em and thankful they're friends. God forbid I was ever on their chit list! :lol:

Thanks Jeff, I imagine we would probably make the chit list of a few of our neighbors over the years but we always have fun.

Paul - we always look forward to Lawrence and being next to the Pickled Pig. We still talk about the RV incident.

We really enjoy being near Team Q - it gives Singing Bob and Fredbird something to do. :wink:

Like everyone else we have had some great neighbors at contests and learned a lot from most of them.

River City Smokehouse
08-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Who I liked being next to at a contest? At the Sedalia contest in '06 I was next to Jeff (Big Creek BBQ). Good neighbor to have. I didn't have to get my radio out cause he had some of the best tunes going and is always a hoot to visit with. Bubba and Jeff, you can't find two better fellas. You just gotta watch out for Bubba when he breaks out the sombrerro':eek: . Jeff remember when we thought Bubba was dead laying under the table? LMAO!!! Bill (LitnLoaded), was a good time at Shriner's in Columbia this year. Great Grills (Mark and Becky) is always fun! Jamey (Natural Born Grillers) and Gordon is never boring (just make sure you have peanuts):lol:
I have always had a good time with my neighbors at a contest. I don't dwell on the undesireable ones cause there has only been a small few. I just get on with my stuff and play BBQ!

Harbormaster
08-29-2007, 08:37 AM
We have only done one comp so far, and don't remember the guys name, but the team was smok n' sourmash. Great guy.

Smoke 'N Sourmash has been at all three comps I've been to. Not right next to us, but always nearby. They are fun, nice guys and do something exotic the night of the comp.

Oldbob
08-29-2007, 09:06 AM

Totally not our experiance @ Harpoon, the only thing he was too serious about was Polishing the Big Wiener. Being between Vinny, Willie and the Poohbah @ Hudson Valley was total fun and educational. But if it was our first comp it could have been very distracting.

Must refrain...NOT WoodPile!!:eek: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Plowboy
08-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I like being between the ONE generator and the ONE Porta Potty.

The Giggler
08-29-2007, 09:17 AM
We always seem to set up near Lost Nation Smoke Co. Rich Decker and his team have helped us out more times than I care to count. Most recently, we lost power at our site at Harpoon (Kevin shorted the piggy lights - kinda funny as the shot stood his hair on end). Rich and his team cleared a spot, plugged in our knife, and even took pictures (check www dot lostnationvt dot com). We ended up taking a first place in pork chops with their help. They are always great competitors and friends. Looking forward to the day we can repay some of the favors. Cheers to Lost Nation Smoke Company!

Mike.

Bigmista
08-29-2007, 02:42 PM
This is a good thread!

Dale P
08-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I have never had a bad neighbor.

Plowboy
08-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Great Grills of Fire, Jeanie's Got Wood, Bibs & Ribs, Smoke on Wheels...er Kaw Valley... er HoDeDos, and of course BBQ Council

The Texas guys at the GAB with the Tito's Vodka was pretty cool, too.

jbrink01
08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Plowboys, Fat Boys (of Little Rock), Fast Eddy, Beam Boys, and many others. Have only had a couple bad ones. The "super secretive types".

YankeeBBQ
08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Johny Trigg is a great neighbor his wife makes these great sausage biscuits for breakfast. Gerry King was a great neighbor in Des Moines a couple of years back, he helped us out with our hog. Always love being next to lunchmeat. Dizzy pigs are fun to hang out with. Some dude in New Holland kept tripping breakers and messing with peoples hose connections, he wasn't so great.

Timmy
08-29-2007, 05:09 PM
We have had only one bad neighbor and that was because the jerk was wasted and hitting on my wife. The last neighbor we had was great...Smoke on Wheels...good people that Andy and Kim are. We feel fortunate to have met them.

Plowboy
08-29-2007, 08:05 PM
We have had only one bad neighbor and that was because the jerk was wasted and hitting on my wife. The last neighbor we had was great...Smoke on Wheels...good people that Andy and Kim are. We feel fortunate to have met them.

Hey, how was I supposed to know she was your wife?!?! :twisted:

beam boys bbq
08-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I have only had one bad neighbor that was at pacific this year the guy never said hi i tryed over and over to talk to him i was just in his way i guess

the most entertaning team i have been next to is jeff (big Creek)
no tv that night just sait back an watch quight an sight to see jeff and his wife cooking away over there never an dull moment :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

york

Sledneck
08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree with Andy. I can't recall being next to a team we didn't have fun with. One of the best and special times we had was being next to Lunchmeat at Harpoon when they won GC. It was a great time and Sully was in rare form. We also got to meet Steph from the Slabs. Did alot of beer, jello shots and cherry's at that comp. It made for a great nights sleep.
I didnt know he had any other forms:rolleyes:

Rub
08-29-2007, 09:47 PM
That whole Harpoon contest was full of great "Competition Neighbors". I had an absolute blast meeting so many people. Seems no matter where I wandered off to, there were always friendly folks ready to stop what they were doing and BS for a while.
BAAAAA-BAA-QUUUUUUUUUE!!!

Kung Fu BBQ
08-29-2007, 10:50 PM
I can't say I've ever had a complaint about those around me. Everyone is friendly and generous... hell thats why I got into this. It's like camping with a purpose.

ThomEmery
08-30-2007, 07:48 AM
I had Ray Lampe next door once
The BBQ Groupies were everywhere

CritterCook
08-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Can't go wrong being next to Beam Boys, Natural Born Grillers and Signature Foods. Met some other good guys to be around at the Pacific comp. ; Three boys and a Brit. Lots of fun

LostNation
08-31-2007, 06:53 AM
Looking forward to the day we can repay some of the favors. Cheers to Lost Nation Smoke Company!Mike.Thanks for the kind words Mike, It's my pleasure to be set up near you guys. I've never had a bad neighbor at any contest I've cooked. We try to be the best neighbors any team ever has had. Although we get a little loud at times It's all in good fun. http://www.lostnationvt.com/movies.htmWhen I started certain teams and Cooks like Lance of the Yahoos, Steve and his ISS team and Chris and his team formerly known as The UFO Social Club showed how to compete with class and good sportsmanship. We try to live up to what these teams showed us every contest.

Sawdustguy
08-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Rich, you are one of the most sociable guys I have ever met. My sister in law Ruth calls you the Big Teddy Bear and I think my brother Gary is in love with you.

http://www.2fatpolocksbbq.com/webimages/lovers.jpg

Nitrofly
08-31-2007, 08:50 AM
We have had some of the greatest Neighbors.. where "O"
where should I start.. I smell Smoke are always a lot of fun
lost nation is great also.. I just want to see that karaoke live
some time.. And if you want to get really Torn down you just
have to be next to the Basty Boys..fun drinks for everyone.
Giggling Pigs give us a lot of good luck. Thanx guys..
We met the nicest couple in Douglas Ga. I just can't
remember their names, sorry..
I miss getting hang out with Seabrisket, DJ is always a lot of
fun.. They have been doing more MIM this year. the Turtles
used to like me..But Nancy don't like tooo much
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
Plus all the Brethren we have been lucky enough to be
Neighbors with.. and Of course any team that doesn't
complain that the party is alway at lunchmeat's site ..
because we always has that "dam dip"
Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team were really great Neighbors
this year at Harpoon.. All I can say we have met some of the
greatest people since we have started this thing we do called
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
Just remember there is a real good chance that even though
we have been Neighbors a bunch of time I still might forget
your name....

paydabill
08-31-2007, 01:35 PM
I have had some great neighbors as well. Muddy River Boys are always funny to be around. They always make me laugh! At Chillicothe I was next to Jeane's got Wood. Fun bunch, and they gave me a recipe for a heck of a drink!

I also had some neighbors who were not so friendly. I laugh! I had one team (who I will not mention) that was just a pr*ck. They were too serious and too pushy. I just offered them a beer, and gave them a couple of Kebabobs, by the end of the contest they were almost sociable.

Oh well.

Citizen Q
08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
I've had all great neighbors, but that's not to say I might not be a bad neighbor. Just over 2 years and I can count 5 teams that have never been heard from again after camping next to me.

ihbobry
08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Just over 2 years and I can count 5 teams that have never been heard from again after camping next to me.

We survived!!!!!!! Finished dead last, had to change our name but, we survived!!!!! :wink:

Nitrofly
09-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Sean I'm sure you scared off a bunch of people from BBQ
that morning at Harppon a few years ago. when you were
hanging over that trash can with your shorts falling down..
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!

I've had all great neighbors, but that's not to say I might not be a bad neighbor. Just over 2 years and I can count 5 teams that have never been heard from again after camping next to me.

Lakeside Smoker
09-01-2007, 07:18 AM

LOL!

I've been next to Sean 2 times this year. Both times were great! Lots of drinking, loud music, stealing my food, smack talk, and flirting my my girlfriend! GREAT TIMES! Hope to see you soon Sean! Harvard?

Mike

barfly
09-01-2007, 08:06 AM
We survived!!!!!!! Finished dead last, had to change our name but, we survived!!!!! :wink:

Maybe but ya beat us in ribs didn'y you?
(and you wanted to trade, lol)..