PDA

View Full Version : New Holland--Results

Muzzlebrake
08-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Any word from PA yet? Did we have a good Brethren showing?

BBQchef33
08-25-2007, 03:52 PM
awards going on NOW... Field of 70!.

Heres our members walks. They are coming in fast.. sorry if I mistype or miss someone.

Smokeindaeye took 1st in Sausage(5th catagory),

SmokeinDaeye took 2nd in Chicken.

Smokin Gnome and Butthead also walked in sausage. (Im waiting on the positions.)

Lost nation 10th in Ribs

Militant Squatter, 6th in Ribs.

Militant Squatter. 8th place pork.

Militant Squatter. 9th place Brisket.

Kirk 14th place Brisket.

Yankee BBQ 3rd pork

Yankee BBQ 10 in brisket

Lost nation 4th in Brisket.

Lost nation 1st in Pork.

midnight smokers GC
jacks down home reserve
who are those guys 3rd
tar heel smokers.
lost nation 5th
double DD 6th
bbq guru 7th
team agave 8th (YankeeBBQ)
shendoah 1 crew 9th
phillipy pigs 10th.

Smokeindaeye 12th
Militant squatter. 15th.

more on the way. Im on the phone, will keep editing this post.

Oh... BTW.....

In an attempt to ensure 13th place, Sledneck sound a unique way of cooking chicken. Contrary to popular belief, sauce DOES NOT cover a multiple of sins. :eek:

They are requesting an additional scoring entry for taste/texture/grittiness. :mrgreen:

Pass it on.

IM sure someone wil get official results. these were jotted down quick while on the phone. congrats to all!!

Pig Headed
08-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Clint, good thing you were next to Jack McDavid. Looks like he taught you something about chicken and sausage.:twisted: Congrats on all the Brethren walks.

Sawdustguy
08-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Congratulations to all my Brothers that walked. Clint, great job!

Pig Headed
08-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Guy, I took a ride up to New Holland. I know you wish you were there, but it was pretty hot.

Sawdustguy
08-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Ron,

I heard it was very hot. Even with the heat there is nobody wishing harder they were there than I. Well, family comes first and I am happy to hear that my Brethren family did well today.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Congrats Brothers although it was crazy hot today, I'm sure you all had a great time.

Sawdustguy
08-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Did Buttrub.com compete?

Pig Headed
08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Yea, Byron was there. He was cooking on a Jedmaster.

MilitantSquatter
08-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm back !! Once again, an excellent contest. Sledneck and son Steven, were great honorary Bad Bones Team members. Excellent work ethic and Sledneck was a huge help in making critical decisions.

As you saw by the results, I placed top 10 in three categories but managed to end up 15th...That's because our chicken came in a dismal 70th !!!

Normally I'd be very dissappointed, but there is a great story to this that had me smiling from ear to ear. Sledneck, as you all know is a master of 13th place chicken, so I was counting on his expertise. Chicken needed to have the temps pumped up a bit higher based on time so we decided to move to the kettle to finish off with sauce. I was in the middle of making the sausage box, and Sledneck went to take out the rack in the Spicewine...

Problem is he did not remeber that the Spicewine racks are popout racks from the frame during an attempt to removes the rack and readjust his hand positioning.. :shock:

So... approx 20+ pcs of chicken came crashing to the floor right in front of the firebox door. (Guess what's usually in front of a firebox after cooking all night !!) A handful did not hit the floor and some others had to be salvaged that ended up on top of others.( I will not give counts here to protect us) :icon_blush:

We managed to get them on a hot grill to sanitize.. I mean crisp the skin. and gave them a good saucing.. Needless to say we realized SAUCE DOES NOT COVER A MULTITUDE OF SINS !!

We managed to make a halfway decent box from appearance working with some of the smallest pcs in addition to a few of the largest (and not as well cooked).

Taste issues speak for themselves and tenderness was just not there do to the loss of time dealing with the mishap for the larger pieces, scrambling to pick them up, find gloves or tongs etc.

Sledneck was a bit down when during the awards especially when after no calls for chicken he heard me get calls for all other categories.

This mishap made the event extremely memorable and I was glad I got to experience it with a friend who did everything else right cooking with me. I will also give Sledneck a ton of credit for helping me with my 6th place ribs which was always my weekest category in terms of placings. Some adjustments during rib selection and box layout by his recommendations were spot on.

So, three Top 10 calls as the largest, best contest in the NE is fine by me. I got to spend it with several brethren I know and a few others I met.

Sledneck
08-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh... BTW.....

In an attempt to ensure 13th place, Sledneck sound a unique way of cooking chicken. Contrary to popular belief, sauce DOES NOT cover a multiple of sins. :eek:

They are requesting an additional scoring entry for taste/texture/grittiness. :mrgreen:

Pass it on.

!!

Ummmmmmmm IM A REAL ASH-HOLE!` I still feel really bad about this. I was at new holland cooking with Vinnie. I went to pull the tray out of the spicewine with ALL of the chicken on it and i didnt know that the tray was 2 pieces. As i reached underneath it to hold it the frame dropped down and startind sizzling on my arm so i dropped the whole damn thing. All of the chicken exceot for a few pieces landed on the ground. :eek: Mr cutllets is wrong cause sauce doesn not cover a multitiude of sins. 70th place chicken needless to say a 13th place would of been awesome. It pulled vinnies overal from a top 5 to 15th overall and i feel like total chit. I know i will never live this down and to vinnie i am truly sorry. Vinnie being the great guy he is didnt act mad at all when he really should of punched me in the mouth. Other than that the contest was awesome. Great to meet some other brethren and see the ones i know. ANd congrats to all that walked. I will go and bow my head in shame now

big daddy Q
08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
if there is one thing vinny should know................. sledneck and chicken dont mix!! congradulations to all, and good memories are better than plastic trophies anyday !!!

BBQchef33
08-25-2007, 10:49 PM
I think this is all a ploy to redirect attention AWAY from 13th place. :wink: :biggrin:

I learned this past weekend at ribfest, chit happens. All u can do is laugh it off and not beat yourself up. woulda,coulda, shoulda.... does nothing... but laughing it off makes sure ya had fun. We came in DAL in brisket, but had one of the best belly laughs doing it.

Now ya get to use a Spicewine rack as a frame for your next 13th place chicken.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Jorge
08-25-2007, 11:13 PM
You do the best you can on any given day, and what happens will happen. Glad you guys had a good time, because at the end of the day that's what counts.

MilitantSquatter
08-25-2007, 11:43 PM
It was also very exciting to watch SIDE's reaction to getting called for 1st place Sausage and 2nd Place Chicken. His reaction was genuine shock and almost disbelief (which shouldn't be becuase he knows how to cook really good). The best part was, his mom and dad were right beside him and they were very proud Clint too.

A few other notable moments

1) watching SIDE getting schooled all evening by Jack McDavid

Ex. of conversation

JM : "Boy.. why you put that on your brisket ? "
SIDE " I don't know sir.
JM : You'd better start over son..
SIDE : Yes Sir.

2) Seeing Dave Klose over at Rich Decker's tent. Next thing I know I got Poobah talking to Dave Klose on my cell phone and Dave Klose starts talking farking Japanese into my phone and I have no idea what's happening. After Poobah and Dave talk, Dave starting talking to me just about everything until I had to get my pit lit up. Then Dave took a walk with Sledneck and his son to the Kid's Q awards. Dave Klose ends up shaking little Steven's hands with some really freakly handshake like he was a member of a gang or something. Dave talked to us about police, fireman, cooking for the Mafia after learning I was born in Brooklyn, Presidents, Phil's inability to catch fish in TX, Phil's attempts to give Dave used laptops that ended up going to Miss Texas. etc.

A

SmokeInDaEye
08-26-2007, 12:05 AM
What a great contest! Despite driving by myself and getting horribly lost driving down there. I need a navigation system!

Extremely well run event and friendly people, plus getting to say hi to so many friends. Will have pictures of the new official Ash Hole "Secret Sauce" banner tomorrow.:twisted:

Oh, and the awards were an amazing shock. As my third KCBS contest, my only "goal" was to get a call in my first non-grilling category (which seemed possible since they gave awards up to 15th place). I actually had to look at the awards for chicken to see what I had placed!

And Jack was a great neighbor (even though he said my chicken was trimmed wrong, overcooked, and rubbery :biggrin: ).

SmokeInDaEye
08-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Oh, and congrats again to Vinny, Smokin Gnomes, Lo & Slow, Kirk, Team Agave, Lost Nation and all of the others who kept the flow of Brethren to the stage going!

tonto1117
08-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Congrat's to everyone!! Nice showing and sounds like it was a great time.
As far as the "chickengrate incident"and the ensuing coverup.......chit happpens, had a similar experience a while back we like to call "rib salad". Took a while, but now we laugh our ash-holes off about it...:mrgreen:

Pig Headed
08-26-2007, 07:06 AM
If someone who competed has full results, could you post them please.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Congrats guys!!!! sounds like you had a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Porkmeister
08-26-2007, 07:46 AM
Hey everyone. Well once again I didn't get to meet most of you guys but we had fun. We pulled out a 1st in chicken again this year (2 years in a row) but kind of dumped on the rest.

Vinny, I saw your chicken go south. We were right across from you and I just happened to look over at the right time. Now that you confessed I guess I'll let everyone know that my Brisket hit the dirt as I was putting it on the cooker. I had to wash it all down and start over.
I tried to get over to see you guys this time but by the time I got over there you guys had the lights out and looked like you were sleeping.

Congrats to everyone for braving the heat! Great job to everyone who got the calls.

We also got lucky and my Wife won the Weber grill from the raffle. She must have been happy because I heard her yell "another grill"!

Mike

ique
08-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah Klose has the gift of gab, always an interesting conversation though.

We've dropped stuff a few times before, I dropped a beautiful pork butt into a pile of charcoal debris early morning of a contest. At the Jack last year a table with our Chefs Choice prep blew over about 30m before turn-in. Sorry you guys werent able to recover on chicken. Great job on the other categories.

It was also very exciting to watch SIDE's reaction to getting called for 1st place Sausage and 2nd Place Chicken. His reaction was genuine shock and almost disbelief (which shouldn't be becuase he knows how to cook really good). The best part was, his mom and dad were right beside him and they were very proud Clint too.

A few other notable moments

1) watching SIDE getting schooled all evening by Jack McDavid

Ex. of conversation

JM : "Boy.. why you put that on your brisket ? "
SIDE " I don't know sir.
JM : You'd better start over son..
SIDE : Yes Sir.

2) Seeing Dave Klose over at Rich Decker's tent. Next thing I know I got Poobah talking to Dave Klose on my cell phone and Dave Klose starts talking farking Japanese into my phone and I have no idea what's happening. After Poobah and Dave talk, Dave starting talking to me just about everything until I had to get my pit lit up. Then Dave took a walk with Sledneck and his son to the Kid's Q awards. Dave Klose ends up shaking little Steven's hands with some really freakly handshake like he was a member of a gang or something. Dave talked to us about police, fireman, cooking for the Mafia after learning I was born in Brooklyn, Presidents, Phil's inability to catch fish in TX, Phil's attempts to give Dave used laptops that ended up going to Miss Texas. etc.

A

lazyjacres
08-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Congrtas everyone............ looks like a good time was had by all.

Sledneck
08-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Congrat's to everyone!! Nice showing and sounds like it was a great time.
As far as the "chickengrate incident"and the ensuing coverup.......chit happpens, had a similar experience a while back we like to call "rib salad". Took a while, but now we laugh our ash-holes off about it...:mrgreen:

"Grate" name.

Solidkick
08-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow....wtg guys.......I really wish I could have been there for the experiences of this one!

WannaBeBBQueen
08-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Congrats to all, sounds like a great time :-D

Oldbob
08-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Congrats to all !! Sounds Like a Great time was had by all !!

Rub
08-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Congrats to all who got calls, and thanks for sharing that grate chicken story with us Vinnie and Sledneck. Ahhh, the memories......:wink:

Sledneck
08-26-2007, 11:12 AM
We also got to meet the inventor of the fab products. He and his son were there and we a great conversation about the products. Really great people.

Sledneck
08-26-2007, 11:14 AM
On the way to new holland vinnie kept saying he was hoping that the ice cream "vender" from last year was gonna be thereThey were and i have to say it was one of the best i have ever had

SmokeInDaEye
08-26-2007, 11:15 AM
New Holland Summerfest 2007. 72 Teams

Sausage
1. Smoke in Da Eye
2. Ringoes Up in Smoke
3. Ribs Within
4. Smokin' Gnome BBQ
5. It's Just Barbecue
6. Dizzy Pig BBQ
7. Brique House BBQ
8. Butthead BBQ Team
9. PA Midnight Smokers
10. Smokers Delight BBQ

Chicken
1. Pennsylvania Pork Meister
2. Smoke in Da Eye
3. Who Are Those Guys?
4. War Pigs
5. Baba and the Pig Man
6. Late Night Whiskey Smoke
7. K&J Barbeque
8. Double D's BBBQ
9. Jack's Down Home
10. Wild Bill BQ

Ribs
1. Jacks Down Home
2. PA Midnight Smokers
3. Hoff Daddy's BBQ
4. The BBQ Guru
5. Tarheel Smokers
6. Bad Bones BBQ
7. Shenandoah Q Crew
8. Who Are Those Guys?
9. Late Night Whiskey Smoke
10. Lost Nation

Pork
1. Lost Nation
2. Gut's Smokehouse
3. Team Agave
4. Hog Heads
5. PA Midnight Smokers
6. Shenandoah Q Crew
7. Layman Family BBQ
8. Bad Bones BBQ Crew
9. Off Da Bone
10. Double D's BBQ

Brisket
1. Black Tie BBQ
2. Who Are Those Guys
3. Tarheel Smokers
4. Lost Nation
5. PA Midnight Smoker
6. Dixie Bones BBQ
7. It's Just Barbecue
8. North Coast BBQ Society
9. Bad Bones BBQ Crew
10. Team Agave

Chefs Choice
1. PA Midnight Smokers (180.00)
2. Jumping Dog Barbecue (180.00)
3. Free Range BBQ
4. Smoken Dudes
5. K&J Barbeque
6. Christman City BBQ
7. Hog Heads
8. Pennsylvania Posse BBBQ
9. Smoke Stack Lightning
10. Lo-N-Slo BBQ

Whole Hog
1. PA Midnight Smokers
2. Jacks Down Home
3. S&S Grilling and BBQ

Overall
1. PA Midnight Smokers (654.2854)
2. Jacks Down Home
3. Who Are Those Guys?
4. Tarheel Smokers
5. Lost Nation
6. Double Ds
7. The BBQ Guru
8. Team Agave
9. Shenandoah Q Crew
10. Philly Pigs
11. Smokey T's Pit Crew
12. Smoke in Da Eye
13. Dixie Bones BBQ
14. Christman City BBQ
15. Bad Bones BBQ Crew
16. Hoff Daddy's BBQ
17. Pigs by the Moon BBQ
18. 3 Eyz BBQ
19. Late Night Whiskey Smoke
20. Dizzy Pig BBQ

Sledneck
08-26-2007, 11:16 AM
best team name ever: Who are those guys?

SmokeInDaEye
08-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Even though it came in 21st place, I was extremely proud of the progress I made with brisket this weekend. All 8s and 9s for appearance and 2 perfect scores.

I thought my ribs were too tender but they scored well in that category. Suffered in taste but that's an easy fix.

I was pretty surprised the shoulder came in 44th but the scores don't lie. That's my next category to mess with I guess. Got a 7-8-7, 7-7-8, 8-8-8, 8-7-6, 7-7-9.

butt head
08-26-2007, 11:29 AM
our first time at new holland. had a blast. congrats again to ya vinnie. we didn't know we were in the sausage so i ran out and got the fixins for a fattie and finnished 8th:shock: i,ll take that. we got 12th in chickin (our highest finnish in that 23rd overall again best yet.

Big Dog Barbecue
08-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Congratulations all especially in this heat/humidity.

I'm grateful we had the great weekend weather we did in New Paltz.

MilitantSquatter
08-26-2007, 11:46 AM
PS... There were two mysterious teams :icon_blush: competing under the same team name " Illuminati BBQ"... :biggrin:

They both had a slogan "A secret sauce DOES exist". We...Um I mean they, were sponsored by Sam Adams...The team name/banners got rave reviews from the crowd. Someone even thought it was just an Italian family name. The Ash-holes strike again.

BBQchef33
08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow, those cloths pins look just like fingers. :cool:

Uh oh!! are they really fingers?? :eek:

What have you done!!??? Wheres the body? Are the Ash-holes the shadowy figures staking people in the night?

:mrgreen:

SmokeInDaEye
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
So Kirk, what's the secret to a 14th place call in brisket?:twisted:

Tinybud
08-26-2007, 02:26 PM
We didn't fair good at all, thinking 53 overall. Tried a few different things that didn't go as planned..lol... And for some reason my pit temps were all over the board, couldn't get it to settle in,up and down all night, never had that problem before, got zero sleep. At one point we had 103.8 degrees on our atomic clock under the canopy,, it was hot.. Our first time at New Holland summerfest, and still had a great time, wish I would have gotten around alittle more to meet everyone. But will be there next year for sure. Congrats to all that walked. Next stop for us is dover,,,,,,

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I was really cool meeting all of you guys! Other then my sausage, I tanked everything! I seems like in between Bel Air and NewHolland I forgot how to Q! I was glad to see all Bretheren getting up on the stage! Cant wait till next year!

Kirk
08-26-2007, 02:46 PM
So Kirk, what's the secret to a 14th place call in brisket?:twisted:
It takes the same attention to detail that it takes to finish 47th in pork and chicken and 52nd or so in ribs..., plus a huge helping of luck. :rolleyes:
Man we really had our heads up our asses this weekend and the results showed it. I can't complain though because this is only our 2nd KCBS and we learned some good lessons. Plus, it's always a good weekend when you can hang out with the Brethren, drink a chitload of beer and take a shower with Jack McDavid. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that part. :icon_blush:
Seriously though, we had a blast. The contest was great, the facilities were great, the dinner and breakfast were great and of course, the company was the best. What an excellent way to spend my birthday weekend.
Congrats to all you guys who walked and to those that didn't. I think the Brethren were represented in fine fashion. In order to keep that image intact, I didn't mention who the guy was with the train whistle to the woman that had the suggestion as to where he should put it. :wink:
Yak, we have to talk. :-D

Jorge
08-26-2007, 03:14 PM
In order to keep that image intact, I didn't mention who the guy was with the train whistle to the woman that had the suggestion as to where he should put it. :wink:

You didn't have to:lol: 8-)

Sledneck
08-26-2007, 03:24 PM
that guy is so annoying

i was very dissapointed that i did not hear anybody yell baahhhhhhhhhhbequa all weekend

MilitantSquatter
08-26-2007, 03:34 PM
i was very dissapointed that i did not hear anybody yell baahhhhhhhhhhbequa all weekend

I wasn't... Helped me get some sleep.

I don't think the Amish would be likin that too much either.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
That was a train whistle? I thought Vinny had gas...lol

Sal

Double D's BBQ
08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't post much here but I do read a lot of the posts and get a lot of great information and tips here. You can add another brethren to that list if you'ld like for New Holland. We are only a second year team. I cook with my wife Donna and my son Danny under the name Double D's BBQ.

New Holland was definitely the hottest contest I've ever cooked at. Thank you to the organizers and volunteers especially the ones that helped my wife Donna with some heat related problems.

This was a great contest. I loved the Amish presence at the event. It had a very unique feel to it. Also thanks to the PA teams for sponsoring a great dinner buffet and breakfast.

We received three calls to the stage, 8th in Chicken, 10th in pork, and got an honorable mention (top 15) in brisket. We felt very fortunate to finish in 6th place overall against a very talented field.

We'll definitely be back next year.

Our next three comps of the years are Jim Dandy's in Cincy, Oinktoberfest in Clarence, and Nelsonville, OH. I hope to meet many of you at those three events.

Dallas

SmokeInDaEye
08-26-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't post much here but I do read a lot of the posts and get a lot of great information and tips here. You can add another brethren to that list if you'ld like for New Holland. We are only a second year team. I cook with my wife Donna and my son Danny under the name Double D's BBQ.

New Holland was definitely the hottest contest I've ever cooked at. Thank you to the organizers and volunteers especially the ones that helped my wife Donna with some heat related problems.

This was a great contest. I loved the Amish presence at the event. It had a very unique feel to it. Also thanks to the PA teams for sponsoring a great dinner buffet and breakfast.

We received three calls to the stage, 8th in Chicken, 10th in pork, and got an honorable mention (top 15) in brisket. We felt very fortunate to finish in 6th place overall against a very talented field.

We'll definitely be back next year.

Our next three comps of the years are Jim Dandy's in Cincy, Oinktoberfest in Clarence, and Nelsonville, OH. I hope to meet many of you at those three events.

Dallas

Nice! Welcome. I was admiring your...uuuummmm...name when you got called and glad to see you here. One question though. Should it be triple Ds (Donna, Dallas and Danny)?

SmokeInDaEye
08-26-2007, 04:12 PM
I was really cool meeting all of you guys! Other then my sausage, I tanked everything! I seems like in between Bel Air and NewHolland I forgot how to Q! I was glad to see all Bretheren getting up on the stage! Cant wait till next year!

Good meeting you all too. One word of advice to everyone. Don't try to steal the gnomes. They have alarms...

Double D's BBQ
08-26-2007, 04:15 PM
It really should be triple D's Clint but when the team was formed by wife wasn't on it. She has joined us this year and has been a great help with all the taking care of all garnish work. My son will be joining the Air Force in a couple of months so we'll be back to Double D's very soon.

butt head
08-26-2007, 04:20 PM
i got a few ideas for that wistle:twisted: and they call us buttheads!

Sawdustguy
08-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Dallas,

Good to meet you. I personally think you need another three or four cookers. You need to add a Backwoods, Lang and Spicewine at a minimum.:wink: :cool: :biggrin:

Double D's BBQ
08-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Nice meeting you too Guy. I was eyeballing my neighbors (Pig Pen BBQ) Backwoods Hog Cooker. My wife would quickly say don't give him any ideas about more smokers but we don't golf with one club do we?:-D

I do have a Jamie Geer pit on order but I am #5 on the wait list so we're probably talking about another two years before I get my next smoker!

Tinybud
08-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Seriously though, we had a blast. The contest was great, the facilities were great, the dinner and breakfast were great and of course, the company was the best. What an excellent way to spend my birthday weekend.
I agree with ya Kirk,it was an excellent way to spend a birthday weekend, mine was friday the 24th. :icon_clown

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-26-2007, 06:05 PM
As far as Gnome Alarms go, you should see what my wife does to my underpants!!go figure...lol...like I heard(and yelled) alot "FEAR THE PIG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrimsonSmoke
08-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Sounds like everyone had a blast and congrats to those that walked.

LostNation
08-27-2007, 06:43 AM
New Holland has always been my favorite contest, this year was no exception. It was nice to meet and spend a little time with some new friends. I'm really looking forward to our next contest (Dover) to see if I can improve on our 62nd place chicken.

Porkmeister
08-27-2007, 06:52 AM
New Holland has always been my favorite contest, this year was no exception. It was nice to meet and spend a little time with some new friends. I'm really looking forward to our next contest (Dover) to see if I can improve on our 62nd place chicken.

I'll make a deal with you --- you give me some help with brisket and I'll talk to you about chicken! Man, do I stink at cooking brisket.

moses13
08-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Was there on Sat with my uncle (pigheaded) just "grazing", since we didn't get in the event. It was good to see Brethren that we have met at past events and meet new ones. I even lended a hand to Brian at Shenandoah "1-man" Q Crew by running his ribs and pork entry, so I would like to pat myself on the back for assisting with his call in those categories :D (as we all know......you can't be successful without a runner).

Vinny- Ron called me late Sat to tell me some of the scores and he rattled off your calling in the brisket, ribs, and pork. I said "Well with those high placements that should be good for a solid top 5 unless his chicken really tanked.".......well, he then filled me in on "ChickenGrate". I'm sorry for the unfortunate turn of events and I feel for Sledneck, however, as you said...it is a memory and story that you guys will always have.

Clint- It was nice meeting you and glad to see that you got some nice calls too.

Again, congrats to all and hope to see some of you in Bridgeton, NJ in September and Dover, De in October.

Brian

YankeeBBQ
08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Congrats to all the Brethren that got calls. I was convinced everything I cooked except chicken was going to come in 50th or worse. I think the heat got to me and I had a minor meltdown. I'm shocked I got all 8's and 9's in appearance on my brisket, I literally threw the meat in the box I was so disgusted. It fell apart when I was slicing it and I didn't get a single whole slice in the box.

backyardchef
08-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Congrats, folks! Nice job, Clint! It's great to see all these Brethren teams on the rise.....The northeast continues to develop some amazing talent....

Kirk
08-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I think the heat got to all of us Steve. We were so disorganized I'm suprised that we even made the turn ins.
I really wanted to get over and spy on..., I mean get over and talk to y'all a bit this weekend but we barely left our site. I did enjoy cooking next to our mutual neighbor Doug (Anderson?). Nice guy. Sounded like he had a tough day too. I can't imagine doing a contest like that all by myself.

The Giggler
08-27-2007, 12:00 PM
We would like to participate in 2008. Is there a waiting list?

Thanks,
Mike.

LazyRiverBarbecue
08-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Congratulations to everyone who got a call...we were there, Brian was judging. I walked around for a little bit, the heat was just awful. The weather for this competition last year was chilly.
See some of you in Bridgeton - let's hope the weather is nice. Did everyone who is participating in Bridgeton get their information in the mail?

Donna

SmokeInDaEye
08-27-2007, 01:30 PM
We would like to participate in 2008. Is there a waiting list?

Thanks,
Mike.

Yes, they start taking names in January, I think. Check the New Holland Summerfest website. You can put your name on the email list.

Plowboy
08-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't post much here but I do read a lot of the posts and get a lot of great information and tips here.

Dallas

Hey Dallas! Met you at the Lotta Bull class in Lynchburg. Good to see you posting.

Plowboy
08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Clint, nice sausage.

SmokeInDaEye
08-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Clint, nice sausage.

I hear that a lot.:biggrin:

Double D's BBQ
08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey Dallas! Met you at the Lotta Bull class in Lynchburg. Good to see you posting.

Thanks Todd. Glad to be posting here. Congratulations on your success this year and lots of luck to you at the Royal!

Wine & Swine
08-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Way to go guys! I am so mad I didn't get to see Clint's face when they called him for both 1st and 2nd!! I really hope I can get some competitions in next year as I miss getting to hang out with all you guys.

SmokeInDaEye
08-30-2007, 12:53 PM
I finally got some pictures from last weekend.

SmokeInDaEye
08-30-2007, 12:59 PM
That last picture, by the way, is Militant Squatter, getting his third call of the day. He's bigger in real life.:biggrin:

The Giggler
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
The brisket and chicken look great! Out of curiosity, how'd you do on scoring?

YankeeBBQ
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
That last picture, by the way, is Militant Squatter, getting his third call of the day. He's much bigger in real life.:biggrin:
Bigger yes but 'much bigger'.....?

SmokeInDaEye
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Bigger yes but 'much bigger'.....?

Eeeer, I'm not sure what you're talking about...:icon_devil

SmokeInDaEye
08-30-2007, 01:24 PM
The brisket and chicken look great! Out of curiosity, how'd you do on scoring?

I'll have to look tonight. These were my best scores across the board in every category. Still a lot of work to do with all of them but I was pleased with the progress versus the cr*p I turned in at Hudson Valley a year ago.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-30-2007, 05:41 PM
I see you posted the "watch dog" gnome. He says he likes you! He is 8" tall , weighs 8 oz, never been in a serious relationship and only 150 years old. What do you think???

SmokeInDaEye
08-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I see you posted the "watch dog" gnome. He says he likes you! He is 8" tall , weighs 8 oz, never been in a serious relationship and only 150 years old. What do you think???

What else can I say when a little talking gnome wants to pick you up? I'll PM you my digits.

SmokeInDaEye
08-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm back !! Once again, an excellent contest. Sledneck and son Steven, were great honorary Bad Bones Team members. Excellent work ethic and Sledneck was a huge help in making critical decisions.

As you saw by the results, I placed top 10 in three categories but managed to end up 15th...That's because our chicken came in a dismal 70th !!!

Normally I'd be very dissappointed, but there is a great story to this that had me smiling from ear to ear. Sledneck, as you all know is a master of 13th place chicken, so I was counting on his expertise. Chicken needed to have the temps pumped up a bit higher based on time so we decided to move to the kettle to finish off with sauce. I was in the middle of making the sausage box, and Sledneck went to take out the rack in the Spicewine...

Problem is he did not remeber that the Spicewine racks are popout racks from the frame during an attempt to removes the rack and readjust his hand positioning.. :shock:

So... approx 20+ pcs of chicken came crashing to the floor right in front of the firebox door. (Guess what's usually in front of a firebox after cooking all night !!) A handful did not hit the floor and some others had to be salvaged that ended up on top of others.( I will not give counts here to protect us) :icon_blush:

We managed to get them on a hot grill to sanitize.. I mean crisp the skin. and gave them a good saucing.. Needless to say we realized SAUCE DOES NOT COVER A MULTITUDE OF SINS !!

We managed to make a halfway decent box from appearance working with some of the smallest pcs in addition to a few of the largest (and not as well cooked).

Taste issues speak for themselves and tenderness was just not there do to the loss of time dealing with the mishap for the larger pieces, scrambling to pick them up, find gloves or tongs etc.

Sledneck was a bit down when during the awards especially when after no calls for chicken he heard me get calls for all other categories.

This mishap made the event extremely memorable and I was glad I got to experience it with a friend who did everything else right cooking with me. I will also give Sledneck a ton of credit for helping me with my 6th place ribs which was always my weekest category in terms of placings. Some adjustments during rib selection and box layout by his recommendations were spot on.

So, three Top 10 calls as the largest, best contest in the NE is fine by me. I got to spend it with several brethren I know and a few others I met.

Ahhh, the memories.

Sledneck
08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
This year i am cooking the event and Vinny is helping me so he can get payback