PDA

View Full Version : Roots 'n Blues...

ggriffi
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Anyone doing this one? I sure would like to meet some of you.

Gary

burnin butts
08-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Team SauceBaron will be there!

ggriffi
08-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I'll look you up SauceBaron.Got an email last night from jori (bbq coord.) and there are 53 teams signed for this one. Should have all the rest of the info by Fri.

gary

spicewine
08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Sounds like it's going to be a Cluster Fark, we are passing on this one but will be by to visit. I hope I'm wrong.

Spice

ggriffi
08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Spice,

After getting in this one, I have that feeling too. But since we're in we're just gonna have to make the best of it. I know I don't like the open container law. :mad:

gary

Solidkick
08-22-2007, 12:25 PM
John and Darrel from the Belly Brothers will be cooking.....my wife T is still trying to decide if she wants to mess with the downtown traffic and mess....me....I have to miss this one due to work.....

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Chick'n Pig will be there.
I hope this one goes better for us. I guess I am over my bitterness from The Boone County contest. I just need to remember not to take it so personal. I was more disappointed for Samuel than anything.
Our heads are back up and we will go give it our best.

Good luck to all Cooking this event!!!!!!!!!
Open container won't stop me from enjoying some Jameson

GO BRETHREN!!!!!!!!!!!

Greatgrills
08-22-2007, 04:35 PM
We will be doing this one

beam boys bbq
08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
beam boys will be there:icon_shy

ggriffi
08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey Chick n Pig,

I just said I didn'ty like it, NOT that it was gonna stop me either! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

gary

burnin butts
08-22-2007, 10:31 PM
We're going to be cooking on our new Spicewine!!!!!!

que dude
08-22-2007, 11:46 PM
I'll be there!!!

lazyjacres
08-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Natural Born Grillers will be there. Look me up, I'll probably have a cold refreshing beverage or 2................. We'll be flying our banner.

River City Smokehouse
08-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Natural Born Grillers will be there. Look me up, I'll probably have a cold refreshing beverage or 2................. We'll be flying our banner.
Will you have that drunk guy with you?:icon_shy :eek: :lol:

lazyjacres
08-23-2007, 07:26 AM

Which one?????????? :eusa_clap

spicewine
08-23-2007, 07:26 AM

Didn't I tell you I was going to be there!!:mrgreen:

burnin butts
08-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey Jay, come on over to our site and drink as much as you want. If you drink too much I'll let you sleep it off in my truck. But no snoring!!!!!

Solidkick
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I've heard ( no proof, just talk) that upwards of $250,000 has been spent on this event.....if it's a rainy weekend and they can't recoop some of the revenue spent, look for this contest to be a "one and done"

ggriffi
08-23-2007, 05:15 PM
I've heard ( no proof, just talk) that upwards of $250,000 has been spent on this event.....if it's a rainy weekend and they can't recoop some of the revenue spent, look for this contest to be a "one and done"

That wouldn't surprise me what with all the entertainment, stages and everything that is needed for the music. I am really hoping that this turns out to be good as I would like to make this event an annual one for us. I use to live in St. Louis and am coming down so we can cook with family and friends that I haven't seen in a while.

gary

Jeff_in_KC
08-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Good luck, guys! Jefferson City was a success (or an ordeal, depending on how you look at it! :lol: ) even in the rain so if it rains, it ain't all bad. I've heard some rumblings like some of you have. Hope it goes off well!

beam boys bbq
08-24-2007, 04:39 PM
there is power
is the water presherised or do i need to bring the tank to pump it in

steve need pitchers of the new spice wine

york

burnin butts
08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I would love to, but it just went to paint yesterday.
I'm hoping to have it by thursday York.
But you can bet there will be pics!!!!!

Bellybro
08-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Weren't we supposed to get an e-mail form the BBQ Coordinator on Friday? Did anyone get theirs???

ggriffi
08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Didn't get mine either. He did send me some general info by email last week and said that the rest would be out by the 24th. Guess I'll email him and find out whats up.

gary

spicewine
08-27-2007, 04:36 PM
there is power
is the water presherised or do i need to bring the tank to pump it in

steve need pitchers of the new spice wine

york

Note to Self: Get York a Spell Checker.......:twisted: :twisted:

Good Luck to all!!

jbrink01
08-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Note to Self: Get York a Spell Checker.......:twisted: :twisted:

Amen Brother.

Sorry, shuld half sed amin bruthur.

beam boys bbq
08-27-2007, 10:14 PM
i know i can't spell and my gramer sucks
this i know
york:biggrin:

burnin butts
08-27-2007, 10:52 PM
I got another e-mail for the judges today, but not for the competition.
Maybe I sent in the wrong form!!
I didn't know I had to pay to be a judge!!!! :lol:

ggriffi
08-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Butts,

i got the same the thing too. I got another email going in this morning about some other items will post as soon as AI have a reply.

gary

Bellybro
08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
I got the same judges e-mail. Replied back and told them I am not a judge. He re-sent the competitors e-mail. Said they were having problems with their e-mails. I said No **** sherlock! Anyway still no word on assigned spaces and a map?????

Jeff_in_KC
08-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Good luck guys... sounds a little unnerving. Hope all goes well.

ggriffi
08-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I got the same judges e-mail. Replied back and told them I am not a judge. He re-sent the competitors e-mail. Said they were having problems with their e-mails. I said No **** sherlock! Anyway still no word on assigned spaces and a map?????

Bellybro,

Here is the reply that I just got to my email about when we might know where our site is.

"Hopefully by the end of the week. I know you are in the city lot across from Flat Branch pub."

I replied that I just need to know something by Tuesday of next week. I'm coming in Wed. and staying with a buddy who doesn't have a computer. I am starting to get real uneasy about this whole setup. Me thinks I need to start staying away from first time events. :confused:

gary

spicewine
08-29-2007, 05:33 PM
It will all work out!! There are plenty of MOFO's competing to help you out .

ggriffi
08-29-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm sure we'll be fine. I have NO DOUBT that any brethren that are there would be more than glad to help if needed. Jay, do make sure that if you come by Fri. evening to look me up as I do want to talk "business".

Thanks,
gary

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-29-2007, 08:36 PM
[Did I read the email correctly. The streets will not open up until 11:00pm Saturday Night. We must be ready to move out at 11:00pm WTF.

• Festival ends at 11pm, Saturday, please be packed up and ready to leave by that time as streets reopen Saturday night.

ggriffi
08-29-2007, 08:45 PM
[Did I read the email correctly. The streets will not open up until 11:00pm Saturday Night. We must be ready to move out at 11:00pm WTF.

• Festival ends at 11pm, Saturday, please be packed up and ready to leave by that time as streets reopen Saturday night.

I haven't seen that in any of the emails I've been sent. Unless they're letting us park at our site how we gonna get our vehicles in before 11 to pack up?

gary

Greatgrills
08-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Can you forward that to us...I know this is going to be the biggest cluster you know what that we have ever seen...Why are we cooking this contest is what we are asking....There is no way that a cook team is going to stay until 11pm Saturday, especially if you cook without a travel trailor like us.

ggriffi
08-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Ditto what greatgrills said. canonfduser AT comcast DOT net

Thanks,
Gary

beam boys bbq
08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
the open container law

what are your thoughts:eusa_clap

york

ggriffi
08-29-2007, 09:28 PM
the open container law

york

I don't think it's gonna stop me.:!: Really, I kinda figure that unless somebody is getting real stupid, there isn't gonna be any problems. That said I will be drinking out of a mug so it's not obvious.

gary

Greatgrills
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
the open container law

york

red plastic cups...from all the cluster we dont see this going on next year. about ready to eat the cost and not even go

ggriffi
08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
The ONLY reason I still plan on coming down is that I have some friends I use to work with who are gonna cook this with me.

gary

Jeff_in_KC
08-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Give it a chance, guys and gals... sounds bad but hell, it might turn out to be more fun that you had imagined.

ggriffi
08-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Totally agree with you Jeff. Win,lose,or draw I am gonna have a great time cause I'll be there with people I haven't seen in about three years. So unless we get busted for open container.....

gary

que dude
08-29-2007, 11:53 PM
How bad can it be good friends, good beer, good BBQ (better than work). Looking forward to meeting some of the brethren! I just don't see how it could be any worse than Capitol City Cookoff.

lazyjacres
08-30-2007, 06:38 AM
I think that if you keep it cool and don't advertise it, they aren't gonna say anything.
I'm on the north - west corner of 5th & Cherry. Come on by, I'm gonna have plenty of refreshments.

Greatgrills
08-30-2007, 08:12 AM
How bad can it be good friends, good beer, good BBQ (better than work). Looking forward to meeting some of the brethren! I just don't see how it could be any worse than Capitol City Cookoff.

At least at the JC contest it was a cook putting on the contest and they had awesome reps...

Hey Jamey how did you find out where you were going to be at?

lazyjacres
08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
I sent Jori an e-mail asking her. The maps are supposedly going to be e-mailed out this week. But, then again, they were supposed to be out last week.

ggriffi
08-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Just rec'd an email from Jori. Info will be sent out tomorrow. You might want to take that with a grain of salt or the beverage of your choice.

gary

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Can you forward that to us...I know this is going to be the biggest cluster you know what that we have ever seen...Why are we cooking this contest is what we are asking....There is no way that a cook team is going to stay until 11pm Saturday, especially if you cook without a travel trailor like us.

It is at the bottom of the email. I bet we need to be out by 11:00pm.

I have a lot more questions for them. I will call tomorrow to check and let you all know what I find out.

ROOTS ‘N BLUE ‘N BBQ FESTIVAL
(Missouri State Championship)
September 7 & 8, 2007

Roots ‘N Blue ‘N BBQ Competition:
Located in downtown Columbia. Watch for festival signs. You may begin setting up on Friday at noon. All spaces are assigned! The map and parking instructions will be completed and sent to you by this week (sorry I know I promised last week but we are waiting on some final details).

Festival Schedule:
For a complete list of activities at the festival go to: http://www.rootsnbluesnbbq.com

Local Activities:
For a compete list of local events in and around Columbia, MO. go to: http://www.visitcolumbiamo.com

A Couple Reminders:

• Cooks meeting is Friday, 7:00 pm, at Déjà vu, located on Cherry St. between 4th and 5th.
• DO NOT PARK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. THEY MUST REMAIN OPEN FOR EMERGENCY VEHICLES
• Tents, table, chairs, and drop cords will not be provided.
• Ice will be sold for $5 per 20lb. bag from Friday through Saturday.
• 30 amp electricity and water faucets will be available
• Fire Department encourages having a fire extinguisher.
• City mandated quiet hours start at 11pm.
• Columbia does have an Open Container Law prohibiting drinking on public property.
• Teams may NOT share a cooking device
• Meat must start raw. No pre-marinated or pre sliced meat permitted
• You may NOT begin cooking until the meat has been inspected
• You may NOT use electric or propane grills to cook your meat
• Pork Ribs must be spare or baby back (not country style)
• Pork (shoulder, butt, picnic) must weigh at least 5 pounds
• Contestants will be furnished with pre-numbered Styrofoam containers. The number must be on the top of the box when you turn it in
• Garnish is limited to green lettuce, curly parsley or cilantro. No lettuce cores
• Sauce is optional. It will be judged as you present it (no side dishes of sauce)
• Tin foil and toothpicks are NOT allowed. Containers may not bear any kind of markings
• You must have 6 separate and identifiable (visible) pieces of meat in your container
• Judging will be held in Déjà vu on Saturday (located between 5th and 4th on Cherry St.)
• Judging begins on Saturday at:
o Noon………....Chicken
o 12:30pm…..…Ribs
o 1:00pm………Pork
o 1:30pm........…Brisket
o 2:00pm………Anything But Meat
• Anything But Meat Category must have at least one item bar-b-qued and the entire dish must be prepared on site. Seafood/Fish will NOT be considered meat for this dish.
• Awards will be presented around 4:00pm at the Verizon Wireless Showcase Stage at Flat Branch Park.
• A complete set of KCBS Rules can be downloaded at: http://www.kcbs.us.downloads/2006KCBSCooksHandbook.pdf

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call me (Jori Hoeft) at: 573.875.7917. or email at: bbq@rootsnbluesnbbq.com. On Friday and Saturday, I can be reached on my cell phone: 314-570-3359.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I think that if you keep it cool and don't advertise it, they aren't gonna say anything.
I'm on the north - west corner of 5th & Cherry. Come on by, I'm gonna have plenty of refreshments.

How do you know your space assignment ?

ggriffi
08-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Skip,

I don't know my exact space assignment but in an email I got from Jori the other day she said that i was in the "city lot across from Flat Branch Pub". The 11 o'clock thing still has got me, because in the email I got with the info you posted it doesn't have anything about being ready to leave by eleven and if their not opening up the streets until then are we gonna be able to bring our vehicles back into the park to load up before then? I see that on the map of the festival layout that there is a parking lot right next to the bbq area, so maybe we will be able to load up.

gary

lazyjacres
08-30-2007, 08:08 PM
I sent Jori an e-mail asking her. The maps are supposedly going to be e-mailed out this week. But, then again, they were supposed to be out last week.

I requested it from her.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Skip,

I don't know my exact space assignment but in an email I got from Jori the other day she said that i was in the "city lot across from Flat Branch Pub". The 11 o'clock thing still has got me, because in the email I got with the info you posted it doesn't have anything about being ready to leave by eleven and if their not opening up the streets until then are we gonna be able to bring our vehicles back into the park to load up before then? I see that on the map of the festival layout that there is a parking lot right next to the bbq area, so maybe we will be able to load up.

gary

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Anything But Meat Category must have at least one item bar-b-qued and the entire dish must be prepared on site. Seafood/Fish will NOT be considered meat for this dish.

How do you all read this. In my mind Bar-B-qued is cooking with charcoal, smoking and or using BBQ sauce.
Cooking over coals is not BBQ correct? it is grilling. So for this contest anything but Category means BBQ not grilling. Or am I putting too much in to it!!!! HELP

AND Fish and Seafood is not meat???????????????????????????? HUH!!!!! OH i forgot it's a vegetable.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Guys and gals, I bet we have a hell of a good time at this contest. We will definitely have lots to talk about and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone!!!!! Actually I can't wait!!!!!

burnin butts
08-30-2007, 11:11 PM
My wife and I have been waiting to do this one all year! It's going to be fun, and I don't care if they "have thier stuff together" or not. It won't be bad unless you want it to be. I know that we'll have a great time! I can't wait to show off my new cooker. I think you'll like it Skip. I'll post pix tomorrow.

ggriffi
08-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Guys and gals, I bet we have a hell of a good time at this contest. We will definitely have lots to talk about and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone!!!!! Actually I can't wait!!!!!

I couldn't agree more, this is the first comp of the year for me and I am stoked. btw when you said that "Seafood/Fish will NOT be considered meat for this dish." That means we can use seafood/fish,right? It is early and I am confused. :confused:

gary

paydabill
08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
I think it will be fun as well. Luckily, Jamie is letting me hang around him for the contest. I asekd Jamie what I coudl bring, he said more beer! I love a cook who got his priorities together.

I did Chillicothe last week so decided to skip the BCNB. Which upsets me now becuase my new chicken recipe did well at Chillicothe and would like to try it again to make sure it was not a fluke. I can not wait until I can pit it against Sammy's. :-D

However, I will be coming around to talk to everyone and bum a beer.

ggriffi
08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Just got my packet and we are right next to beam boys and couple of spots away from great grills.

gary

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I talked to Jori today. we can leave anytime we want. No problem!!!. The anything but meat can be grilled or bbqed. We turn it in the provided Styrofoam.

The bad part for me is I will need over 350' of 30amp cord to reach the provided electrical spot.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! In my assigned parking area I am the furthest away. That just is wrong!!!

Guys please check the site map. Many of you will need lots of cord also. Sorry!!

paydabill
08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Wow, how are you going to do that. Maybe a generator?

If you are cooking I will deffinately stop by and say hi. I want that recipe for the artichoke dip! Those brownies were to die for as well.

I talked to Jori today. we can leave anytime we want. No problem!!!. The anything but meat can be grilled or bbqed. We turn it in the provided Styrofoam.

The bad part for me is I will need over 350' of 30amp cord to reach the provided electrical spot.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! In my assigned parking area I am the furthest away. That just is wrong!!!

Guys please check the site map. Many of you will need lots of cord also. Sorry!!

ggriffi
08-31-2007, 02:43 PM

Hey Skip,

How can you tell on the final map where the electrical spots are?

gary

Greatgrills
08-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey Skip,

gary

I just emailed and asked and they said generator was in spot 1 so we would need at least 200 ft of extension cord

Fredbird
08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Sounds like my investment in 30 amp cord is going to pay off!:rolleyes:

Hang in there guys. somewhere in this mess there will be a BBQ contest and you will have fun. Good luck!

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey Skip,

gary

Gary, It is the square box that has a G in the center. There is one to the right of spot # 1.

Skip

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-31-2007, 03:02 PM
I just emailed and asked and they said generator was in spot 1 so we would need at least 200 ft of extension cord

I think it is all 30 amp, and will need an adapter to go to 20 amp. I think??
I am waiting for a reply back from Jori.

Skip

ggriffi
08-31-2007, 03:02 PM
I guess by the looks of it I'll be buying a couple more extension cords myself. I am space #8

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Sounds like my investment in 30 amp cord is going to pay off!:rolleyes:

Hang in there guys. somewhere in this mess there will be a BBQ contest and you will have fun. Good luck!

John or anyone else,
Where is the best & cheapest!!!! place to get 30 amp cord???

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-31-2007, 03:05 PM
I think it is all 30 amp, and will need an adapter to go to 20 amp. I think??
I am waiting for a reply back from Jori.

Skip

I just heard back from Jori----Electric is ALL 30 amp.

jt
08-31-2007, 03:16 PM
John or anyone else,
Tyree's Hardware should have what you need.

spicewine
08-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Skippy: I have 25' that you can borrow. Check with Jamie, he might be able to get some from his work.

ggriffi
08-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Alright guys here's what I don't understand. Is this 30 amp cord you talking about a cord with the regular three prong plug or is it a special plug and if so, what kind of adapter would I need?

gary

Fredbird
08-31-2007, 04:11 PM
John or anyone else,

Butler Supply sells 30 amp cord. It comes on a 250' reel and can be cut to any length needed. He normally sells it for $1.20 per foot, but will sell it to anyone going to the contest for $0.88 per foot(Brethren discount). He can supply the ends as well. I don't know how this compares to Tyree's price, but at least it gives you an option. If interested call Butler Supply at (573) 875-4400 and ask for Craig.

burnin butts
08-31-2007, 05:12 PM
I've never seen a local comp. strung out like this before. Do you realize that I will have to take a cooler with me to go around and visit other teams. Just so I don't run out of beer? And I know I need the exersize, But damn!! Oh well, at least I'm close to the beer garden!!!!!!

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Is running 350' of Cord safe????
Me thinking 100' is extreme more than that not safe. What do you all think? I seem to remember listed somewhere from R-n-B that we only needed up to 100'.

I think that they should provide electricity up to 100' from the farthest contestant. What do you all think?

ggriffi
08-31-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm with you on this one bro. I can't find and don't recall ever seeing anything about the 100 ft. distance, but in the entry form it says we'' have "access to water and electric, but we are responsible for our own drop cords". To me a drop cord is not a $300 dollar cable that I gotta buy at the last minute.

gary

Greatgrills
08-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok so I might sound stupid asking this question but here goes....So our extension cord, that we always use at every contest that we have been at, will not be able to plug into the generator that they have????

ggriffi
09-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Ok so I might sound stupid asking this question but here goes....So our extension cord, that we always use at every contest that we have been at, will not be able to plug into the generator that they have????

I don't believe so. If I understand this correctly,the 30 amp service that their talking about is the same type of a plug that you would use for an rv or 5th wheel. It is a 4 prong plug and then you will need some kind of reducer to go to 110. My BIL is an electrician and he was trying to explain this to me last night, so I'm not sure if I understood exactly what he telling me. If you look back at the one post about the guy at Butler Supply who is gonna sell us the cord for $.88 a foot, thats gonna be on heck of a expensive extension cord that you may or may not ever use again.

gary

River City Smokehouse
09-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Alright guys here's what I don't understand. Is this 30 amp cord you talking about a cord with the regular three prong plug or is it a special plug and if so, what kind of adapter would I need?

gary
You can buy an adapter to go from 15 amp to 30 amp or vice versa. It's just a plug with a short cord. They may run about 15 or 20 dollars depending on where you get it I'm sure. This is what it looks like. The one you need may be 30 amp male and 15 amp female though. Check it out to make sure.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/122776.jpg

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-01-2007, 07:53 AM
You can buy an adapter to go from 15 amp to 30 amp or vice versa. It's just a plug with a short cord. They may run about 15 or 20 dollars depending on where you get it I'm sure. This is what it looks like. The one you need may be 30 amp male and 15 amp female though. Check it out to make sure.

Pictured I believe is a 20 amp to a 15 amp??????? I bought a 30 to 15 amp reducer last night for $4.00.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-01-2007, 07:54 AM

Your cord is fine you need an adapter to go from 30amp to 15 amp.

ggriffi
09-01-2007, 07:55 AM
You can buy an adapter to go from 15 amp to 30 amp. It's just a plug with a short cord. They may run about 15 or 20 dollars depending on where you get it I'm sure.

But I still will need a cord that is 30 amp to go from their generator to my site, right? Will something like this be safe with a multi outlet surge protector on it?

gary

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-01-2007, 08:06 AM
But I still will need a cord that is 30 amp to go from their generator to my site, right? Will something like this be safe with a multi outlet surge protector on it?

gary

Gary, You can use 15amp cord after the 30amp to 15amp reducer. But and this is the tricky part. It depends on what or how much electric you are using at your site. If you are only running a radio and some lights no problem but if like us you need to run the air conditioner (do not buy a black trailer)and all the other stuff 15amp at 300' will not work. The further the distance the more there is a loss in amps. I am not electrician but this is what I understand.

River City Smokehouse
09-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Oops! My bad! I messed up. Sorry. You can get a 20 to 30 also . Me, I would have a 15-20, 20-30 too. Then you have what you need. You can put them together and use them.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I am going to email Jorie with my concerns about the potentially unsafe distance for electric. Please email her also if you have the same concerns. I feel anything over 100' is unsafe and it is also unacceptable to ask us to run and provide that much cord.

lazyjacres
09-01-2007, 05:19 PM
When did you get your packets? did she e-mail them to you? I haven't seen anything yet.

I talked to Dave @ US Rents it, and he said that 100 ft. on a standard RV number 10 conductor cord is extreme. He doesn't recommend anything over 50 ft. The amp loss at 100' will not only produce heat in your cords, but it is hard on your electrical equipment (Air conditioners especially) running on a diminished load.
If you got your packet by e-mail, can someone please shoot me the map?

spicewine
09-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Um!!!! Well !!!! What can I say but , Best wishes to all!!

Spice

Jeff_in_KC
09-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Um!!!! Well !!!! What can I say but , Best wishes to all!!

Spice

I second that! 300 feet, Skip... that's insane! Someone in Columbia told me that as of Wednesday, they weren't sure how they were going to do their electricity. Sound like to me they still don't. I'll keep your A/Cs and other appliances in my thoughts. :shock:

ggriffi
09-02-2007, 07:37 AM
I sent an email this morning to Jori about my concerns as well. I'm only running a set of lights,radio, and a coffee maker. but I know that some of you are gonna run more than that. This is just the kind of last minute crsp that I was afraid of.

gary

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-02-2007, 04:15 PM
This is a copy of the email that I sent Jori, What Do you all think?

Dear Jori,

This email is in response to my concerns with the distance to reach the electrical service. It appears that I would need somewhere around 300 – 350 ft of extension cord to reach the provided generator from my assigned spot. This distance will not work nor is it safe and is potentially a fire hazard. I have to purchase at a great cost sufficient electrical cords to reach that distance and adapters. There could be extensive damage to my RV trailer electrical system and to the cords I must purchase if I hook up at that distance. I have asked other BBQ teams and spoke with an electrician about the distance and was told it would be a tremendous hazard. Up to 50 feet is normal with 100 feet being the extreme limit. I feel that asking BBQ teams to run distances past 100 ft is unsafe and unfair. I am asking that this be worked out so that the BBQ teams won’t need to run more than 100 ft to connect to the electrical service. This has been the standard for the American Royal, The Great American BBQ and Oklahoma Joe’s and a few other contests we have attended.

We would appreciate your help with this and look forward to a quick response.

Chick’n Pig BBQ
Skip Thurman
449-1997 (home)
881-2467 (cell)

beam boys bbq
09-02-2007, 10:01 PM
nice tight bundel of information
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
and now we waite

york

ggriffi
09-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I just got this reply from Jori, looks like all of the concerns we had about the electric are gone!

__________________________________________________ ____________

Thank you for your concerns with the electrical. Every space will have its own dedicated electrical source. You will need to provide drop cords from that source but will probably not need more that 20-30 feet.

Sorry for any confusion.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
09-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I got this email also. whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your concerns with the electrical. Every space will have its own dedicated electrical source. You will need to provide drop cords from that source but will probably not need more that 20-30 feet.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,

Jori Hoeft
BBQ Coordinator
Roots ‘n Blues ‘n BBQ Festival

515 Cherry Street
Suite 300
Columbia, MO 65201

P: 888.300.7485
P: 573.875.7917
F: 573.874.7979

bbq@rootsnbluesnbbq.com

ROOTSNBLUESNBBQ.COM

paydabill
09-04-2007, 08:13 AM
It really looks like they are tryign to work with everyone. That is great!

Solidkick
09-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Well the boys are down and setting up....looks like rain could move in at anytime....I hope it holds off for them....

Good luck to all cooking....I'm stuck at work this weekend....one fo the few I HAVE to work throughout the year....what sucks is probably late tonight and close Sat. and Sunday, so I probably won't even drive down to where all are cooking....with 30,000 people expected, it just isn't appealing.......

BBQPrincess
09-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Has anyone heard the results of the contest yet? Folks are wondering.

Jeff_in_KC
09-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Has anyone heard the results of the contest yet? Folks are wondering.

Kick tells me that Pellet Envy was Grand and Four Men and a Pig was reserve and that several Brethren walked. Can't recall all of 'em.

Plowboy
09-09-2007, 12:19 AM
1. Grand Champion: Pellet Envy
2. Reserve Grand Champion: 4 Men and a Pig
3. Hot Flash BBQ
4. Great Grills O’ Fire
5. Come ‘N Git It
6. Pigs Gone Wild
7. The Meatles.
8. Smokin O BBQ
9. Callaway Cremators
10. 12 Pack Porkers
Top Five Teams for Chicken
1. Smokin O BBQ
2. Great Grills ’O Fire
3. Muddy River Boys
4. Hot Flash BBQ
5. Barn-EQTop Five Teams for Pork Ribs

1. Chick ’N Pig BBQ
2. Pellet Envy
3. The Meatles
4. Hot Flash BBQ
5. Calloway CrematorsTop Five Teams for Pork

1. 4 Men and a Pig
2. Pellet Envy
3. Great Grills O’ Fire
4. Smokin O BBQ
5. Come ’N Git ItTop Five Teams for Brisket

1. 4 Men and a Pig
2. Pellet Envy
3. Smoke This BBQ
4. Hot Flash BBQ
5. 12 Pack PorkersTop Five Teams for Anything But Meat

1. Hot Flash BBQ
2. Beam Boys BBQ
3. Munkee’s Pit BBQ
4. Pigs Gone Wild
5. The Meatles

River City Smokehouse
09-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks Todd! I've been wondering about it.

So how was the contest. Someone start giving out all the ggods and bads on this 1st yr. contest. Will it be a good one for next year or?

Plowboy
09-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks Todd! I've been wondering about it.

So how was the contest. Someone start giving out all the goods and bads on this 1st yr. contest. Will it be a good one for next year or?

I was wondering the same thing. How was it?

Congrats to Rod, Skip, Mark, Becky, and York for your walks!!!!

Solidkick
09-09-2007, 08:45 AM
From what I've heard, because I was stuck at work, the contest came off with pretty good success.

Belly Brothers were 15th overall...

beam boys bbq
09-09-2007, 09:31 AM
it turned out better than we thought it was going to be

they worked with us getting everything we needed

the cell phone number was an new idea but i liked it

we called her and it was done no wondering what to do

no DQ this time that was our goal small one but we got over that hump

thanks york:mrgreen: :biggrin: :mrgreen:

BBQPrincess
09-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Congrats to all that placed in this contest. Sounds like it turned out to be a good contest considering it was the first year and looked questionable for a while.

kcpellethead
09-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Of course this is easy for me to say now, but after we finished turn-ins, we agreed that this was a really well run first year event. Of course, they had a few hick-ups. We didn't see trash pick up until Saturday morning and we never saw a grease dump. Overall though, those things are very minor considering the size and type of event this was. We agreed we'd be back next year long before the awards ceremony. Those of you that were scared of this one really missed out on a well run first year event.

Congrats to everyone who heard their names. Big congrats to Skip on the rib win!

Rod

lazyjacres
09-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Congrats to everyone that walked. We didn't fair so well.
Overall it was a well run contest. Way better than I expected.
The generator that was supplying the power for our area kept surging really bad, and actually burnt up one teams rotisserie motor, and almost every electrical device that Great Grills had on site. Luckilly he got his grill blower back to working. The lights in our motor home kept getting brighter and dimmer, and my rotisserie kept speeding up and slowing down.
They used almost exactly 50% certified judges, with the others being celebrity judges.

Our scores were all over the place:
Chicken: 9-9-9 / 7-6-6 / 9-8-8 / 9-8-8 / 7-5-6 / 8-9-9

Ribs: 8-6-7 / 8-7-8 / 9-8-8 / 8-6-8 / 9-8-8 / 8-9-9

Pork: 8-8-8 / 9-8-8 / 6-8-8 / 9-8-9 / 9-8-8 / 6-8-7

Brisket: 9-7-7 / 9-7-7 / 6-7-7 / 9-6-7 / 5-6-5 / 9-8-8

Open: 9-4-5 / 9-4-5 / 7-6-7 / 8-7-6 / 9-8-8 / 9-8-9

This is the worst we've done all year, and I thought the brisket we turned in was the best all year.

Oh well, on to the next one.

beam boys bbq
09-09-2007, 02:48 PM
i was on the same gererator we were having sugeres all night :confused: :confused:

i wonder if that an generator person on sight or was skip pulling to much out of it:biggrin:

york

ggriffi
09-10-2007, 06:41 AM
I gotta agree with everyone else who said that this went off better than expected. Congrats to all who took walks. We did better than we thought we would (31st). It was great to meet everyone there.

gary

lazyjacres
09-10-2007, 07:09 AM
1. Grand Champion: Pellet Envy
2. Reserve Grand Champion: 4 Men and a Pig
3. Hot Flash BBQ
4. Great Grills O’ Fire
5. Come ‘N Git It <Brethren brother Paydabill>
6. Pigs Gone Wild
7. The Meatles.
8. Smokin O BBQ
9. Callaway Cremators
10. 12 Pack Porkers
Top Five Teams for Chicken
1. Smokin O BBQ
2. Great Grills ’O Fire
3. Muddy River Boys
4. Hot Flash BBQ
5. Barn-EQTop Five Teams for Pork Ribs

1. Chick ’N Pig BBQ
2. Pellet Envy
3. The Meatles
4. Hot Flash BBQ
5. Calloway CrematorsTop Five Teams for Pork

1. 4 Men and a Pig
2. Pellet Envy
3. Great Grills O’ Fire
4. Smokin O BBQ
5. Come ’N Git ItTop Five Teams for Brisket

1. 4 Men and a Pig
2. Pellet Envy
3. Smoke This BBQ
4. Hot Flash BBQ
5. 12 Pack PorkersTop Five Teams for Anything But Meat

1. Hot Flash BBQ
2. Beam Boys BBQ
3. Munkee’s Pit BBQ
4. Pigs Gone Wild
5. The Meatles

FYI: Paydabills team is "Lit N' Loaded" - 'Come 'N Get It" is from Columbia, but doesn't belong to this forum.
Bill was going to do chicken with me, but had to leave unexpectedly as his wife had to go to the emergency room. I talked to him last night and she is home doing well.

Plowboy
09-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Hmmm.... someone edited my results post. Thanks for catching that Jamey.

Bellybro
09-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I agree. The contest went overall very well considering it was their first, of what I hope to be many more.

We also had some scores kind of crazy. I mean a 4 on appearence, but anyway it was fun.

We ended up 15th overall

Chicken 30th
Ribs 26th
Pork -12th
Brisket 13th

Solidkick
09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Hmmm.... someone edited my results post. Thanks for catching that Jamey.

That'd be me........OK....so I'm old and forgetful about team names and working on about 8 hours sleep in the last 4 days....:twisted:

paydabill
09-11-2007, 02:58 PM
yeah - I felt really bad having to duck out. Wife had her thyroid removed about 4 weeks. She was at a rodeo with our children when a part of her supposedly healed incission strating to leak out fluid.

Fun night at the hospital and then trying to tell my 6 year old she will be fine.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
So I hear they've already announced that Roots and Blues is a "one and done" contest and that it was only celebrating Boone County Bank's 150th anniversary??? Anyone else heard this?

jt
09-11-2007, 03:58 PM
That was the intent all along. Perhaps the city will help it continue.

beam boys bbq
09-11-2007, 06:30 PM
i had fun i hope not :grin: :razz: :grin:

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
That was the intent all along. Perhaps the city will help it continue.

Oh ok. I hadn't heard that and there was "speculation" here that if it didn't go off smoothly, it might only be a one and done.

scoop03
09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I enjoyed it too. Considering it ws there first time, I thought it went well. Booz & BBQ, it's all good!

paydabill
09-12-2007, 12:13 PM
The bank had taken some polls to see if they should try to continue. They spent a lot of money on this event. They will have to figure out a way to charge the publix in the future I think. Maybe move it to the fairgrounds or something like that.

timzcardz
09-12-2007, 12:34 PM
So I hear they've already announced that Roots and Blues is a "one and done" contest and that it was only celebrating Boone County Bank's 150th anniversary??? Anyone else heard this?

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2007/09/10/though-festival-successful-future-roots-n-blues-n-/

Though festival successful, future of Roots ‘N Blues ‘N BBQ uncertain

COLUMBIA — The unofficial results are in, and it appears the Roots ’N’ Blues ’N’ BBQ festival was a success, bringing an estimated 50,000 to 60,000 people to downtown Columbia. However, Boone County National Bank has no plans to manage another festival.

“The bank only turns 150 once,” said Mary Wilkerson, director of marketing for Boone County National Bank. “The whole intention was to celebrate. ... If there’s a group interested in taking it over and running with it, we’d work with them to make it happen.”