PDA

View Full Version : NEBS - Team of Year Criteria

MilitantSquatter
08-06-2007, 07:12 AM
I may be totally wrong here, but is NEBS TOY is the top five point scores from both grilling and BBQ contests ?

If so, is there any reason NEBS would not have separate TOY for Grilling and BBQ ?

While I doubt it's happened, isn't it possible that the TOY can be won from five grilling contest scores where judging may be less likely to be from certified judges or the standard criteria to judge unique categories are vague or non-applicable ?

Not sure what made me think of this but, I see that that Best of the Best contest invites the top 5 teams in specific organizations to their contest. Just wondered if it would be possible that a TOY gets invited whose top scores were all grilling related who may not done so well at BBQ. Just seemed a bit odd.

Not that this is the case in NEBS as the top teams are truly superb and deserving of all accolades received.

I think it would be kind of cool to have a grilling and BBQ Team of the Year to distinguish the two teams who excel the most in each area.

ique
08-06-2007, 08:24 AM
The first year we won it in 2002 was largely based on grilling scores. NEBS sanctions the grilling contests so these contests have always been part of NEBS team of the year. Any TOY grilling score is from a 4 category event using KCBS rules so the criteria shouldnt be vague. The quality of judging OTOH... :rolleyes:

Its a cool idea but I'm not sure we need another award....

I may be totally wrong here, but is NEBS TOY is the top five point scores from both grilling and BBQ contests ?

If so, is there any reason NEBS would not have separate TOY for Grilling and BBQ ?

While I doubt it's happened, isn't it possible that the TOY can be won from five grilling contest scores where judging may be less likely to be from certified judges or the standard criteria to judge unique categories are vague or non-applicable ?

Not sure what made me think of this but, I see that that Best of the Best contest invites the top 5 teams in specific organizations to their contest. Just wondered if it would be possible that a TOY gets invited whose top scores were all grilling related who may not done so well at BBQ. Just seemed a bit odd.

Not that this is the case in NEBS as the top teams are truly superb and deserving of all accolades received.

I think it would be kind of cool to have a grilling and BBQ Team of the Year to distinguish the two teams who excel the most in each area.

Transformer BBQ
08-06-2007, 08:34 AM
From the NEBS stie:

" Around 1991, the New England Society for Wood Cookery was formed. In 1994, the Wood Cookery Society became The New England Barbecue Society, a stable, fiscally responsible, not-for-profit, group of dedicated BBQ cooks and consumers. "

It started as a group who used wood to cook, and eventually adopted the KCBS format for the BBQ contests. which is the reason I think that the scores are combined. As for judges, the grilling I would guess has the same % certifed judges as the BBQ-- so I don't think there is a huge fall off in the level there.

I understand your point, but if you look at team rankings, and look at scores from any KCBS contest in NEBS, the list is going to be pretty close. There aren't teams just doing grilling contest to get points...

SmokeInDaEye
08-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Interesting. I personally like having grilling included, but that's all I've done decent at this year!:biggrin:

Does anyone have the final rankings? Interested to see Rookie TOY too.

ique
08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have the final rankings?
1 I Smell Smoke!!!
2 iQue
3 Purple Turtle Catering Co.
4 Lunchmeat
5 The Anchormen
6 Yabba Dabba Que
7 Q Haven
8 Lost Nation Smoke Company
9 Boneyard Smokers
10 Qkwannabee's
11 Big Boned BBQ
12 Feeding Friendz
13 Que Ball
14 Flaming Hog BBQ
15 Giggling Pigs BBQ Company
16 Yankee Barbeque
17 Uncle Jed's BBQ
18 Lakeside Smokers
19 Transformer BBQ
20 Dr. Frank N Swine
21 Bastey Boys
22 Howling Hog
23 Smokey Steve & The Hickory Boys
24 Better BBQ Bureau
25 Hog Heaven BBQ
26 The Pokey Smokers
27 Smoke in Da Eye
28 Champlain Pit Crew
29 BS BBQ
30 Porky's Butt Burners
31 Porkaholics
32 Fat Texan BBQ
33 Mr. C's Smoking & Grilling
34 Smokin' n' Jokin
35 Dirty Dick & The Legless Wonders
36 Firefly's Bodacious BBQ
37 Hill Country Barbecue
38 Ribs Within
39 Bad Bones BBQ Crew
40 Beef Rubbers
41 Firetown Smokers
42 I Like Smoke and Lightning
43 Smokin Bones
44 Big Dog Barbecue
45 Smok'em if ya Gott'em
46 Regal BBQ
47 Ma's Que Crew
48 Primal Meat Smokers
49 Two Fat Polocks
50 Seacoast Smokers

SmokeInDaEye
08-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks, Chris! Not sure if my math is 100% correct but it looks like this was the top 6 for Rookie TOY?

1. Yabba Dabba Que (1900.5712)
2. Lakeside Smokers (1885.7142)
3. Queball (1871.9996)
4. Boneyard Smokers (1870.8568 )
5. Smoke In Da Eye (1859.9990)
6. Transformer BBQ (1858.8576)

ique
08-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks, Chris! Not sure if my math is 100% correct but it looks like this was the top 6 for Rookie TOY?

3. Queball (1871.9996)
4. Boneyard Smokers (1870.8568 )
5. Smoke In Da Eye (1859.9990)
6. Transformer BBQ (1858.8576)

Looks correct except I don't believe Queball qualifies as a rookie team

SmokeInDaEye
08-08-2007, 11:18 AM

Yep, I was wondering that. If so, that would make it three Brethren in the top five RTOY and five of five for TOY! Congrats to everyone on a great year!

The Anchorman
08-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Wasn't Queball, Bourbon and Bealle before?, then that doesn't make them a rookie team.

lunchlady
08-08-2007, 07:00 PM
yep, Sean was a pitmaster before Queball, that makes him ineligible.

Congrats to everyone and thanks for making this year so much fun!

SmokeInDaEye
08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Alrighty then. I'm still blown away by the fact that there were 174 or so teams that competed in over 20 contests in the NE this year and so many produced HUGE numbers week after week. This time last year, I had no idea there were any bbq contests around here and now I'm looking forward to actually getting some decent scores in my second year of competition.

Congrats to Steve, Chris, Michelle and Sully, Nancee & Greg, the Anchormen, shoeless Mike of Lakeside, Brenden (sorry I killed your tent), Q Haven and their fancy new trailer, and everyone else (including Poobah and my fellow Ash Holes) for making things so much fun when I get to break away and cook! And thanks for being true mentors and friends.

My possible mathematically challenged, recently revised, top five Rookie TOY list:

3. Boneyard Smokers (1870.8568 )
4. Smoke In Da Eye (1859.9990)
5. Transformer BBQ (1858.8576)

Lakeside Smoker
08-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks Clint! It was a fun season. Whats you next comp? Hogstock? Lowell?

SmokeInDaEye
08-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks Clint! It was a fun season. Whats you next comp? Hogstock? Lowell?

Nope. The pregnant wife signed off on New Holland, PA on the 24th and that may be it for the year (though I'm silently petitioning for the LI Brethren Battle in late October, 3 weeks before the baby comes, so send wishes my way!).:grin:

Citizen Q
08-10-2007, 08:19 AM
yep, Sean was a pitmaster before Queball, that makes him ineligible.

Congrats to everyone and thanks for making this year so much fun!

So much for my plan to change the team's name every year for ROY. Looks like team "Four Que" just isn't in the cards.

SmokeInDaEye
08-10-2007, 09:33 AM
So much for my plan to change the team's name every year for ROY. Looks like team "Four Que" just isn't in the cards.

Guess not. We actually have a team here based in California called Four Q. Great minds think alike, Sean! We do have vacancies with team Ash Hole though.

Four Q BBQ Team
Neil (Bigmista), (Sylvie), (BBQJunkie), Professor Salt(pending) - Los Angeles, CA. http://www.fourqbbq.com (http://www.fourqbbq.com/)