PDA

View Full Version : Going to TASTE on Friday

MilitantSquatter
08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
My wife and I are going to go to Wine & Swine's hot spot Friday night for dinner... Just sent John a PM and will call for a reservation if necessary.

I'm looking forward to it. Kind of like a present for me as the next day is my b-day.

Poobah / Sled / SIDE - Any suggestions ??

BBQchef33
08-05-2007, 09:03 PM
ok first thing..

August 11 is MY berfday. I dont remember lending it to you.

and get them ham stuffed peppers... pop them like ABTs
i gotta look at the menu again to remember what John called the stuff.

MilitantSquatter
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
WOW !!!! What a great dinner !!!

Food - Fantastic !! Creative, top notch natural ingredients, well presented !!
Service - Excellent and personable !!
Setting - Classy but relaxed !!!

John and team did a great job. Set us up in "the booth" as Sledneck calls it. John greeted us and we chatted for a while and then we ate for about three hours !!!! We ordered a ton of stuff off the menu and as we were going, John brought out other stuff for us to "try". John explained the menu to us as well as the sources, reasons for selection, timing of the year for certain items on the menu etc.

There was nothing that was not top notch..

I cannot due justice to John's menu so my descriptions will be vague and probably unappealing cause I don't know what to call them. I hope John can clarify some that I mention below.

Figs stuffed with procuitto and cheese and some fancy sauce
Fried Cod logs - Wow (Sure beat's Sled's fish kabobs !!!!) with some other fancy sauce
"Chicken Wings" (No. not those wings. A total twist on it. It's not a wing but a homemade chicken creation that Ed and John created) with some other fancy sauce
Newsom Ham stuffed mini peppers - The best !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sliced Col. Newsom Ham with cheeses and two types of toasted breads with raspberries and some other berries.
Shrimp Cocktail - huge and perfectly cooked !!
Tomato and Watermelon salad with goat cheese - Incredible !!
Berkshire Pork sandwich with cucumber slaw - Perfect !! (Nice job cooking the pork Willie B !!!!)
Lemon Basil Pasta with summer beans !!!!
Grilled Angus Steak with maple sweet potato wedge and homemade apple BBQ sauce !! - John showed me the secret sugar that he uses on this... Amazing !!!!!!!!

Peach Cobbler with ice cream
Sweet Potato Pie with homemade dried cherry ice cream
Chocolate Mousse
Root beer float w/ ice cream

Drinks - Pellegrino water, Brooklyn Brown Ale, A top notch white wine for my wife...

As a special treat my wife and I saw fellow Ash-hole team member SIDE, who stopped in on the way home from work.

John's got a great place and I highly recommend all Brethren make a trip out there to experience all these great TASTES !!!

My wife wants to know when I am taking her back there...

John - Thanks so much.... A great dinner. It is clear to see that you and Ed and team are having fun doing what you love and you do it very well.

Sledneck
08-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Fried Cod logs - Wow (Sure beat's Sled's fish kabobs !!!!)

hey!:icon_devil

SmokeInDaEye
08-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Great to see you both, Ash Hole. Can't wait to actually go and eat there again tomorrow night. And those chicken wing things were CRAZY!

Westexbbq
08-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Sounds like, heck no that is,
a great endorsement for those of us lucky enough to be in the area.

SmokeInDaEye
08-11-2007, 12:30 PM
FYI, for all you LI-ers. The New York Times has a very nice review in tomorrow's paper in the Long Island section so keep an eye out. If you subscribe to the Times' you should already have it. Tried to scan it but can't get the scanner to work.

MilitantSquatter
08-11-2007, 01:56 PM
John - I am still recovering from that dinner !!!!! I can't believe my wife and I managed to get through more than a dozen different items off your menu plus drinks.

Slept like a baby and managed to get my arse out of bed to workout this morning and then go through & pack up all my supplies for HV Ribfest next week.

Guys - I mean it... if you have not gone there yet, set up some time for you and the significant other for a one of a kind dinner or lunch !!!

Wine & Swine
08-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Vinny, thanks again for coming in last night, it was great to see you and to meet your wife. I am very sorry I didn't know it was your birthday or I would have done something "special" or embarassing for you. And it does look like a lot of food for a "little guy" when you write it out like that. And once again, thank you Willie B!! The NY Times loved the pulled pork (even called it a bargain!

MilitantSquatter
10-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Took my wife to TASTE again tonight for dinner... kind of a last minute thing.

Great dinner & service and a nice sized crowd !!!

For all you LI guys/girls that have not been there yet, I highly recommend you make it a point to get over there soon for a unique meal.

Thanks John !!! Keep up the good work....

Sledneck
10-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Took my wife to TASTE again tonight for dinner... kind of a last minute thing.

Great dinner & service and a nice sized crowd !!!

For all you LI guys/girls that have not been there yet, I highly recommend you make it a point to get over there soon for a unique meal.

Thanks John !!! Keep up the good work....
Shhhhhhhhhhh The wife has been driving me crazy to bring her back and if she sees this she will drive me even more crazy gonna get back eventually

SmokeInDaEye
10-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks for calling, Vinny. I was actually in Pennsylvania but you could have tried, ash hole!

Sledneck
10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I might pop in for brunch tomorrow

MilitantSquatter
10-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for calling, Vinny. I was actually in Pennsylvania but you could have tried, ash hole!

We'll ash-hole... I passed by your house... doesn't that count ?

Sledneck
10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
We'll ash-hole... I passed by your house... doesn't that count ?
Hes got a point

MilitantSquatter
10-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I might pop in for brunch tomorrow

Maybe John and Ed can whip you up some killer goat cheese frosted Pop Tarts with raspberry mango fennel seed shrimp jelly filling.

YUM !! :icon_blush:

MilitantSquatter
04-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Not originally planned, but my wife and I decided to go out to dinner tonight to celebrate our 9 yr wedding anniversary.

And to my surprise, aside from John, also got to see Brian akaMa'sQue (who was there with three women !!!) and Clint the Spicy Fairy.

Had another great meal.

stuffed cherry peppers, smoked grilled cheese sandwiches, pulled pork sliders, Ed's take on chicken pot pie, grilled steak and smoked potato fries and for dessert some fruit cobbler and spice cake with Sam cherry wheat flavored ice cream.

John also allowed us to sample some $700 Sam Adams Utopia beer and some other beer that was aged for 10 yrs or so.

Great time, great food, great service.

MilitantSquatter
06-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Went to Taste again for dinner at my wife's request.

Good stuff as usual. Got a chance to spend some time with John, Ed and SIDE.

Had something very interesting tonight...

Heritage Green Chili Cheeseburgers - this may rival the infamous "Skippy Burger" for burger bragging rights on LI (or anywhere else).

I'm full...

Westexbbq
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Duly noted.
Road trip (mini).

WannaBeBBQueen
06-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Heritage Green Chili Cheeseburgers - this may rival the infamous "Skippy Burger" for burger bragging rights on LI (or anywhere else).

I'm full...

Say it ain't so! lol... can't be... I know I'm prejudice but all that on a burger and you can still taste the meat? lol

Gonna have to try it....:wink:

SmokeInDaEye
06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Great seeing you and the wife last night, Vinny!

timzcardz
07-18-2008, 07:24 PM
I took the wife and my boys to taste last night for my wife's birthday.

As I expected, I was thoroughly delighted with the service and cuisine once again.

Ed is a genius with soups. It would be worth the 40 minute drive just to have a bowl of soup. Last night it was a summer squash soup that had some orinage peel in it. Pure joy. I've never been there, except for the super bowl party without having the daily soup. It is a must.

The aged cheddar ravioli was unique and exquisite.

Now I can't wait until I have the time to go back again.

barfly
07-19-2008, 03:15 PM
I took the wife and my boys to taste last night for my wife's birthday.

As I expected, I was thoroughly delighted with the service and cuisine once again.

Ed is a genius with soups. It would be worth the 40 minute drive just to have a bowl of soup. Last night it was a summer squash soup that had some orinage peel in it. Pure joy. I've never been there, except for the super bowl party without having the daily soup. It is a must.

The aged cheddar ravioli was unique and exquisite.

Now I can't wait until I have the time to go back again.

Angela, (Mrs. barfly sounds so wrong), and I are going tonight. Big soup fan here so I have to give that one a ride. Saying I'm excited about going is an understatement!