PDA

View Full Version : Meat Inspection Start Times - KCBS

MilitantSquatter
07-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Are there are KCBS standards in place as to the timing meat inspections must take place by ? Reason I ask is that at the contest this weekend, while teams were officially allowed to check in at 12PM, the KCBS reps did not arrive for several hours later. The KCBS Rep in Training was on site but was not able to begin inspecting without the actual rep. So while many teams arrived early and were situated by the organizers even before 12, by the time the KCBS reps made the rounds and I hunted them down, my meat/site did not get inspected until well after 3PM.

HoDeDo
07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't believe there is a time they "Have to" start by.... but there is a limit as to how early they can check meat. They are not supposed to inspect meat earlier than 24 hours before the first turn in.

I know this has come up before... as some places have inspected meat as early as 10am - which should be a violation if they are keeping to the 24 hrs before first turn in.

I have been at several where you are lucky to have meat checked by 3pm.

KC_Bobby
07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
So if it's 24 hours ... what about 2 day contests like the Royal and GAB? Do they come around between say 12 and 1 the day prior?

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Most times here, we aren't even inspected by a KCBS rep. Seems it's a contest organizer or volunteer doing it more often than not. But whether they have to wait til the KCBS rep arrives on site, I don't know.

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2007, 09:43 PM
So if it's 24 hours ... what about 2 day contests like the Royal and GAB? Do they come around between say 12 and 1 the day prior?

Yep... as an Open participant, you can't get your meat inspected until turn-in day for the Invitationals.

MilitantSquatter
07-30-2007, 09:52 PM
24 hrs from first turn in seems fair and makes sense, but I really would have thought that there would be some benefit to an official rule that teams are entitled to have all meats inspected by a specific end time too.

Every contest I've been in here so far has had the KCBS rep do the inspections. Interesting that other contests have the organizer or a volunteer do it. To me, that's something that I'd like to see KCBS have better consistency in rules for.

HoDeDo
07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Makes sense Vinny. I know I have been frustrated with a 4:00 inspection before. Also, I concur with Jeff - around here the organizers typically do the meat inspections. Or have "staff" that are supporting that function.

The Pickled Pig
07-30-2007, 11:05 PM
We were out at Peculiar a few weeks back and there was some sort of scheduling issue with the Contest Rep. The Contest Organizer said they didn't know where the rep was and that we had to wait for the rep to check in the meat. However, we called KCBS at 3PM (as panic was setting in) and were told that the Contest Organizer could (and should) do the check-in without waiting for the rep. Just as we finished the phone call, the Contest Rep showed up and checked us in. I assume that the person we spoke with at the KCBS office was correct and that the Contest Organizer didn't realize she could do the check-in.

Meat check-in is a formality at best. It would be nice if there was an alternate check-in method. I vote for the honor system since that is basically what it is anyway. Alternatively, you could have other teams check you in. I would bet that teams would do a much better job of policing each other's meat than is currently being done.

seth711
07-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Amen paul! Does it really really make that much difference rubbing your meat so early and would it have much of an advantage rubbing the night before? I think not... I would guess the only good thing that comes of the meat inspection is that they will at least see if you are being REALLY bad about food safety.

Puppyboy
07-31-2007, 04:49 AM
For one contest, I trimmed meat at home and packed it in ice. When inspection came around, one of the organizers did it. I opened the cooler and started to dig out the meat to show it had not been seasoned. He told me not to worry about it because he saw it was packed in lots of ice. He never saw the meat, only that it was packed in ice. I have no desire to cheat but there could be an opportunity for some one to do so with practices like that.

Big Dog Barbecue
07-31-2007, 07:18 AM
At Bluesaque there was some discussion on why the reps would not inspect the meat for Sunday's KCBS event before the conclusion of Saturday's grilling event. No one seemed to have a good reason, and there was meat inspection being done during Saturdays event.

That was the problem! The teams involved with the Grilling event were busy and were not able to start their food prep, while those that had chosen not to be part of the Grilling competition were already working on their Sunday entries.

The 2-3 hours of time may seem trivial, but I believe that would be the reason for that rule.

LostNation
07-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Are there are KCBS standards in place as to the timing meat inspections must take place by ? Reason I ask is that at the contest this weekend, while teams were officially allowed to check in at 12PM, the KCBS reps did not arrive for several hours later. The KCBS Rep in Training was on site but was not able to begin inspecting without the actual rep. So while many teams arrived early and were situated by the organizers even before 12, by the time the KCBS reps made the rounds and I hunted them down, my meat/site did not get inspected until well after 3PM.

Vinny I thought there were more Rep's and Rat's at Harpoon then any contest I've been to in the North East. The total must have been 7-8. I got back to the site around 1:30-2:00 and Mark inspected my meat on the tailgate of the truck even before I unloaded it. He was real anal about the sanitation stuff and the thermometers which weren't unloaded yet so he waited for me to unpack them. Maybe that's why it took longer to get to you.

Scottie
07-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Honestly, I thought it was a bit anal as well. I had to show them 3 tubs for washing and I have a rv with hot water...

I think one accomodation to the cooks would be to let them know that the KCBS rep or rat won't be by your site until after 3:00 pm...

BBQchef33
07-31-2007, 08:44 AM
they were ok with us once they got there..

fire extinguisers were on the wall, thermos and bleach in the rack and a 3 bay sink, so she breezed right thru.. didnt seem to concerned.

The meats were also a quick peek.. nothing to bad at our site, except late.

I have been to event that the fire marshall or board of health were more of a PITA than the KCBS reps. One event they(BOH) wanted a FOURTH hand wash station.

ique
07-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Yes, they were late. The contest reps rolling into a major contest at 2pm wasnt cool in my opinion.

SmokeInDaEye
07-31-2007, 09:13 AM
I had a really tough time getting a rep to my site in New Hampshire last month. They were late arriving and seemed short handed. Jed actually ended up inspection my meat for both the grilling and again later for the barbecue because it was getting so late. And he was a competitor! That's probably why my pineapple wasn't tender!:biggrin: