PDA

View Full Version : Spicewine Cleaning Question

chinesebob
07-29-2007, 04:45 PM
I have the good fortune to be doing a festival on Labor Day weekend. They project anywhere from 5-10K people everyday for all four days of the weekend.

I have the temporary food service application submitted and it will be approved. One of the things that I have to do in between cooking is clean each rack in my spicewine.

In the past I just hose them down and scrub them as much as possible. Not really caring how clean or not clean it gets. The charred stuff gives it flavor. The Board of Health requires me to clean it to it's original shininess before I can cook on it again, though I'm pushing for them to let me give it a quick once over and go back to work.

Anyone have any success in this? Is there a fast and efficient way to clean my racks in the spicewine to that they get back there. Finding a wash tub for them is hard enough, let alone scrubbing them in public. I'm not complaining about it at all. I love my Ginny and dote on her almost as much as I do my boys and definitely more than my wife. It's just tricky with the cooking for the public.

FatDad
07-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Just off the top of my head....A do it yourself car wash ???
They have high pressure hoses with hot water.
Then a light cleaning and oil rub.

That is ... if there is one nearby.

Just a thought.

Pig Headed
07-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Might want to try and rent a pressure washer if you don't have one. How far do you live from the event site? Just thought you could go home if you don't want the public viewing.

chinesebob
07-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I wanted to do that but they won't let me cook off site this year so far. Then I would cook everything off site and just foil, and deliver. It's about 45 minutes from house.

Mo-Dave
07-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Last night I sprayed them with oven cleaner and put them in trash bags, today I took them to a car wash and hosed them off they came out ok but it was an expensive ordeal.

I am thinking I will try putting one in the oven and putting it on self clean to see what that does. Also I had a gooey muck in the water pan so I put down some oil soak material like you use on a garage floor and let it sit all night. It soaked it up and let me scoop it out in short order.
Dave

ZBQ
07-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Sent you a PM Bob.

What festival is it?

chinesebob
07-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Sent you a PM Bob.

What festival is it?

It's the Canal Winchester Labor Day Festival.

Thanks for the note. I'm heading down there this week to take a look at the place. Prices are unbelievable there.

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I do what MoDave does... oven cleaner and into a trash bag for 24 hours. Holy cow, though... original shiney grates? That's a crock if you ask me. Smoke discolors them after one or two cooks. Mine get clean but never clean as new.

Mo-Dave
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
shiny new clean sounds a bit harsh to me as well,. Think you mite question them or find a different inspector to ask about it, if possible.
Dave

ZBQ
07-30-2007, 02:56 AM
I agree. I think they are just trying to be a Big Richard!!

Have you ever seen ANY kind of concession cooking appliance like griddles, deep fryers etc. that was shiny as new unless it was actually new?

Not me.

shiny new clean sounds a bit harsh to me as well,. Think you mite question them or find a different inspector to ask about it, if possible.
Dave

Norcoredneck
07-30-2007, 04:25 AM
Get old cooler that racks fit in Spray with degreaser and let set lid on in sun. Rinse and fill with detergent and hot water and scotchbright them.

jbrink01
07-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Are they drunk? Have they ever seen the pit in any old BBQ joint? The only rules for my health department are no visible pieces of meat carried over from day to day, and no wire brushes.

We take the FEC and trailer to the carwash. I like Norcoredneck's idea.

jpw23
07-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Simple green is a good degreaser and cheap, use that and a scotchbrite pad

Grillman40
07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Ever think of buying an extra set of racks for inspection? :eek: :-D

big brother smoke
07-31-2007, 02:03 PM

Now that is thinking!:biggrin:

ultramag
07-31-2007, 02:18 PM

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. :-D I would think shiny and new would be basically impossible to get back to. Good luck, sounds like a nice gig.

Jeff_in_KC
07-31-2007, 07:43 PM
$15 each x 8... not cheap but maybe worth the expense in your case, Bob.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-01-2007, 11:20 AM
After a few uses the rack will never be like new regardless how clean they are.

I soak mine over night in a dish soap and then everything comes right off.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

Mo-Dave
08-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Thats a good idea if he is only going to use them for inspection and never cook on them. Otherwise they will look the same and he will have the same problem. :sad:
Dave

Grillman40
08-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Thats a good idea if he is only going to use them for inspection and never cook on them. Otherwise they will look the same and he will have the same problem. :sad:
Dave

Yes of course! Havent went through any Health Inspector inspections on a daily basis for a vending event but went through alot of inspections as a Marine and you should always have a inspection ready set for just that...inspections :-D

thillin
08-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Could you just use those cheap disposable expanded metal grates? Meat would not touch the racks..

Transformer BBQ
08-03-2007, 08:06 AM
if you always have meat touching each rack at all times... ie. you leave one cooked butt on each rack while you load in the next round... then take off the cooked one....

are you ever "between cooks"?

WineMaster
08-04-2007, 12:45 PM
KickAss is lookin smarter all the time with the use of his Foil Pans.
When you get inspected, just pull out the new foil pans and say See, Never been Used :)

smoke-n-my-i's
08-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I have the temporary food service application submitted and it will be approved. One of the things that I have to do in between cooking is clean each rack in my spicewine.

suggestion....
don't stop cooking...
you say that you have to clean them between cooking....
just keep something cooking all the time....
solution solved...

Bill