View Full Version : Backyard Event Aug.26th.........
07-23-2007, 09:40 AM
The local Kewanee(Illinois) Hog Days festival is having a pork cook-off on Aug.26th. The Catagories are Ribs, Roast(Shoulders), and Misc. The entry fee is $15.00 for the first catagory and $5.00 for each additional. First place in each catagory is $250.00. It's a small but fun comp. and if any backyarders are free that day come on out. The info is on the Kewanee(Illinois) Hog Festival website. Google it and link in to rules and applications.
07-23-2007, 03:07 PM
That's only a couple of hours for me. Hmmm...
I took a look at the rules and there really isn't much info there. Can you answer some questions, bigmeatbbq, or should I e-mail someone?
1. What are the rules regarding the meat? Can any meat prep be done prior to getting on site (trimming, brining, etc.) or does everything have to be done on site?
2. What is considered a roast? Is the pork tenderloin or pork loin, or would a pork butt or shoulder be roasts as well?
3. What falls into the misc. category? I'm assuming anything that contains pork and isn't a rib or a roast, but are there other rules? Does the dish have to be 100% pork or could it be pork plus veggies, for example.
4. How much space does each participant get?
5. Are there any rules for presentation? For example, how many servings should be turned in? Any limits on garnish?
I may have more, but that's it for now.
07-23-2007, 04:23 PM
The rules are fairly loose .
1. Pre-prepping meat is acceptable.
2.Loin and Tenderloin are considered as roasts there.
3.Any dish as long as it's primary protein is pork.
4.As much space as you need. plenty of room
5. Presentation is a free for all. No set garnishing rules.There were 4 judges per catagory last year.
I hope you can make it. It's a lot of fun and very relaxed. if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. There is a limited amounts of electrical hook ups at no extra cost. Bigmeat(Kyle)
07-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Kyle! I'm thinking about it. It depends on my travel schedule.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000-2014, The BBQ Brethren Inc. All Rights Reserved