PDA

View Full Version : Dillon, Colorado (August 10-11)

Jeff_in_KC
07-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Anybody else going to be at Dillon this year? We're making the trip and hoping for better results. We did sign up to vend BBQ though. Since we have never done this at a contest before, I wasn't sure but should we get umbrella insurance first? It's basically just a "buck-a-bone" type thing on a very large scale from what I understand. In all the discussion I've had about the vending there, I never considered umbrella insurance for it until reading stuff tonight about that Chicago mess.

Kung Fu BBQ
07-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Next year. I love Q'n in colorado. Can't beat that weather.
From what I've seen just about every contest in CO seems to offer the "buck a bone" deal.

Puppyboy
07-23-2007, 05:06 AM
I talked to some guys this weekend about vending there. Lots of money to be made. Good luck.

Scottie
07-23-2007, 08:31 AM
In all the discussion I've had about the vending there, I never considered umbrella insurance for it until reading stuff tonight about that Chicago mess.

Hey Jeff.

What Chicago mess?

Thanks

Scottie

tonto1117
07-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Pretty sure he's talking about the Taste of Chicago and the hundred's that reported food poisoning. Turned out to be a local resturant that had a food booth at the event.

Jeff_in_KC
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Yep, Scottie and Tonto, that's what I was referring to. So anyone know whether insurance for something this simple is advisable?

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Received the Dillon contest info packet in eMail and it seems from the team list that we're the ONLY Brethren team competing there next weekend. My attitude has been cleaned up a bit thanks to advice from several Brethren and a few others and I hope to represent well with the banner flyin'! If not, I hope we make a chitload of cash from sales instead. :twisted:

Gonna be some good teams there... Pink Flamingo out of I believe Arkansas, Johnny Trigg, Quau, 4 Legs Up, Slabs, etc. Will definitely be interesting.

Greatgrills
08-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Good luck Jeff and family:-P

Solidkick
08-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Do what you do best and you'll be fine! Good luck!

lwest99
08-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Good luck. If you got he Salsa info I provided you might try that.

BBQ_Mayor
08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Do us proud Jeff.

Bellybro
08-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Good luck Jeff! Fly The Brethren flag high!

Talked to a local Dentist last. Dr. Bohon and his wife Betty. They will be there to just walk around and taste Q. I guess they have gone before. THey said it is awesome. I told him to look you up as you were the only one I knew who was going. I gave him your team name. SO don't be surprised when someone walks up and asks if you know the Belly Brothers!

bbqbull
08-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Jeff, have fun and enjoy yourself at Dillon. Good luck as well.

Jeff_in_KC
08-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Good luck Jeff! Fly The Brethren flag high!

Talked to a local Dentist last. Dr. Bohon and his wife Betty. They will be there to just walk around and taste Q. I guess they have gone before. THey said it is awesome. I told him to look you up as you were the only one I knew who was going. I gave him your team name. SO don't be surprised when someone walks up and asks if you know the Belly Brothers!

I'll look for them. My step dad is a dentist so I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about. :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Good luck. If you got he Salsa info I provided you might try that.

Lee, I didn't enter the salsa contest and I'm not sure what salsa info you're talking about. did you tell me something when I had partaken of too much booze? :lol:

Jeff_in_KC
08-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Mostly packed up and ready to roll west around 2pm tomorrow. This is gonna be a load of work I'm thinking. Thank God we won't have all this stuff to haul back home Monday. Wow!

PigBoy
08-09-2007, 01:40 AM
What are you planning to vend? Wish you the best of luck. Never been there in the summer, sure love the skiing at Keystone in winter. Hope to do that again before I get too old!

Fredbird
08-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Good luck Jeff. Have fun and don't forget the pics!

tonto1117
08-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Yep, good luck and have fun Jeff!! At the very least enjoy the weather...suppose to be in the low 70's days and high 40's at night at Dillon....the rest of us will be dying with the 90's and 100+ temps:twisted: :twisted:

BTW.... cool team Bio on the BBQ on the summit site!!!:cool:

Jeff Hughes
08-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Be sure to look up Donny Teal(Buffalo), Darcy Hicks(Ring of Fire), and TBone Thomas(Smokin' Bones).

They are all Tulsa area cooks(very good ones), great guys and really know how to have fun.

Bigmista
08-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Good Luck Jeffie! Hope the sauce works out for you!!

Jeff_in_KC
08-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, not so good results for the big people. My daughter took reserve grand out of 14 kids in the kids Q age 5 to 11 and my neice took third out of 10 kids in the kids Q 11 to 15 age group. As for us, we got called for tenth place pork out of 67 teams and everything else sucked! At least to the tables they landed on. I thought my chicken took about what it deserved... 34th. Tammy's ribs tok 28th but I thought they derserved higher. Brisket... It was moist and tender (at least it was to me) but not a lot of flavor. Took 57th place. :oops:

Vending was a TON of work!!! We didn't do as well as I had hoped we would but after they take their share, we should net about $875. My brother came up from Castle Rock and hawked our comp meat and we sold out of all of it in less than an hour. :-D The sales won't cover all expenses but at least it makes for a cheap 4 days in the Rockies in August!

We spent the night last night in Idaho Springs, CO and will do a little sight seeing today before heading down towards Denver to spend the night tonight and drive back home in the morning.

Photos will come in a few days.

Plowboy
08-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Well, it sounds like you had fun... I think.

clubjoe
08-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Have a safe trip home Jeff

bbqbull
08-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Enjoy the rest of your trip. Be safe.

BBQ Grail
08-12-2007, 12:59 PM
As much I would like to win, having a kid win RGC would be the highlight of the week-end. For her to accomplish that means you and the wife have spent lots of time together.

Congratulations and hope you have many more great weekend.

Jeff_in_KC
08-13-2007, 09:50 PM
As much I would like to win, having a kid win RGC would be the highlight of the week-end. For her to accomplish that means you and the wife have spent lots of time together.

Congratulations and hope you have many more great weekend.

Absolutely! Every time she wins, it makes our contest, regardless of how we do. Hell, both grands she's gotten, I've gotten teary eyed! :lol:

Anyway, we're home now but not without adventure... last night after stopping in Denver to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant, La Loma, we headed on out to Limon, CO and spent the night. This morning, we get up and hit the highway at 8:30 am... and tonight, I'm lucky to still own a Spicewine. Or at least one in one piece! About 8 miles west of Stratton, CO on I-70, while traveling at 75 mph in the left lane in traffic, my van blew a farkin' tire!! The front driver side blew right after I heard a noise like a thumping sound. I realized quickly I had a problem and signaled to pull over to the right lane so I could get the fark off the highway. About the time I got into the right lane, I felt it blow and my steering wheel went nuts. I eased the brakes on as I pulled to the shoulder. Don't know how it happened that I was lucky enough not to lose control and trash the van and smoker but I didn't. Took my wife and I over an hour to get the spare off and replace the shredded tire. Then we discovered that the other three tires have dry rot cracks in the sidewalls!! :shock: :eek: Needless to say, with no spare left, my stomach was in knots all the way back across Kansas, fully expecting another one to go at any time. Every bump made me cringe! But we made it with no further problems and rolled into the driveway at about 8pm tonight. What a capper to the trip today was! :lol:

Jorge
08-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Took my wife and I over an hour to get the spare off and replace the shredded tire.

You had cold beer in the cooler while she changed the tire, right?:twisted: 8-)

The_Kapn
08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Jeff,
Glad to hear no one was hurt!!!!!!!

Smile--it is over!

TIM

Kung Fu BBQ
08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
glad you made it home safe. I'm sure it made that horrid drive across Kansas a little more exciting.