PDA

View Full Version : Columbia, MO - July 27th & 28th

Fredbird
07-20-2007, 12:43 PM
The Boone County Fair contest in Columbia, MO is next weekend.

Team Q will be there. Who else is coming?

Bellybro
07-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Belly Brothers will be there!

beerguy
07-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Good luck to all!

burnin butts
07-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Saucebaron will be there to kick names and take arse!!!!
Oops, I got that wrong anain, doggonitt :redface:

Jorge
07-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Best of luck to the Belly Bros., Team Q, and everyone else cooking!

Plowboy
07-21-2007, 06:41 PM
HoDeDo and I will be cooking this one together as Pork Pullin Plowboys.

ChipotlePat
07-21-2007, 07:07 PM
sweet chipotle BBQ will be there.

beam boys bbq
07-21-2007, 10:52 PM
beam boys will be there

lazyjacres
07-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Natural Born Grillers plus Norton will be there...............

Plowboy
07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
How many teams are they expecting? Sounds like half or more will be Brethren. That's pretty cool.

n-2-que
07-22-2007, 12:42 PM
good luck to you all

beam boys bbq
07-22-2007, 05:39 PM
here it is time the only goal i had for all summer is here to get ride of this dam thing

the only thing that i can say is

GAME ON:icon_sleepy

YORK

Plowboy
07-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Now that there is FUNNY!!!! I think it loves the Beam home.

Greatgrills
07-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Good luck to everyone that is going to be there. We are sitting this one out.

HoDeDo
07-22-2007, 10:24 PM
here it is time the only goal i had for all summer is here to get ride of this dam thing

the only thing that i can say is

GAME ON:icon_sleepy

YORK

Now THAT's funny man!!! You need to hang onto it though, really.8-)

Got any of that non-shortening fuel this weekend? :shock: And bring those pics, I want to see the setup!

Solidkick
07-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Good luck to everyone that is going to be there. We are sitting this one out.

So this means we only need to buy half as much beer as we normally do?? :tongue:

We'll see everyone there!

paydabill
07-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Good luck all, decided to do Glasgow instead. I kind of wanted to cook it , but oh well. I will come by and say hi to people on Friday.

Greatgrills
07-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know how many teams he has signed up right now?

Fredbird
07-24-2007, 08:35 PM
I heard there are about 30 teams signed up.

Greatgrills
07-24-2007, 09:14 PM
So this means we only need to buy half as much beer as we normally do?? :tongue:

We'll see everyone there!

We might have to come up just to drink your beer:twisted:

Fredbird
07-24-2007, 09:31 PM
We might have to come up just to drink your beer:twisted:

Come on up your always welcome to drink Kick's beer!:twisted:

burnin butts
07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
We might loan you one, maybe two.......

HoDeDo
07-24-2007, 09:43 PM
you could even drink one of mine... just dont go to the bathroom, I might move on ya :o)

Plowboy
07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I've got beer you can drink. If you don't, Andy will. I need him sober to cook chicken.

Solidkick
07-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Come on up your always welcome to drink Kick's beer!:twisted:

I guess this means I have to bring the whole 6 pack then.....:eek:

smokincracker
07-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Good Luck MOFOs

Bigdog
07-25-2007, 07:27 AM
I guess this means I have to bring the whole 6 pack then.....:eek:

Now that is funny.:mrgreen:

jt
07-25-2007, 08:15 AM
you could even drink one of mine... just dont go to the bathroom, I might move on ya :o)
Talking about moving on somebody while they're in the bathroom...something's just not right there...

Is it a 2 story outhouse? I claim the top seat...

Kung Fu BBQ
07-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Damn, this contest is brethren heavy. We'll do it next year. We are cooking the UMB "employee" comp. Just don't tell anyone I don't work there. I just want to get the manager drunk and get the bank codes.

Plowboy
07-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Got my letter today and it says no setting up until 10am Friday morning. We were hoping to set up Thursday night.

Fredbird
07-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Got my letter today and it says no setting up until 10am Friday morning. We were hoping to set up Thursday night.

We were planning to be there about 8am. I'll see if we can be there earlier than 10am. Thursday night will probably not be available due to the other fair events planned that night.

smokincracker
07-26-2007, 06:53 AM
You guys going to have the swamp slurry machine up and running making margaritas?
I might have to just jump on a plane tonight!!!!!

Solidkick
07-26-2007, 07:26 AM

John is right.....the spaces we use to compete are used for additional parking for handicap and buses through Thursday evening....we were going to attempt setting the camper on Thursday, but the promoter doesn't take possesion of the area we'll be in until Friday morning....so that's when we are going out....

Solidkick
07-26-2007, 07:28 AM
You guys going to have the swamp slurry machine up and running making margaritas?
I might have to just jump on a plane tonight!!!!!

Bring your arse on! You know you're always welcome here! And it's not supposed to be 116* like it was the last time you visited!

MrSmoker
07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Good luck Brothers,make us proud to be Brethren.

Plowboy
07-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Good luck Brothers,make us proud to be Brethren.

One thing for sure is that there will be a lot of Brethren calls. 3/4 of the contest is Brethren.

jt
07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
I'll try to swing by Friday night and meat some of you farkers...

Solidkick
07-26-2007, 10:04 AM
It looks like it could be a wet weekend......I just don't want any winds or anything stronger, if you know what I mean.......

Bellybro
07-26-2007, 04:19 PM
The Margarita machine will be there and running! Stop by and introduce yourself! I really want to meet those guys from Team Q. They are my IDOLS!!!!

L's to everyone!

spicewine
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I know you are looking forward to that " L " trophy this year!! :twisted:

Plowboy
07-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Andy and I are doing some fried chicken on Friday night. Anyone want to join us? There MAY be drinks, too.

beam boys bbq
07-27-2007, 06:25 AM
the trophey is packed and ready for its new home

york:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

slat
07-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Good luck to all the Brothers competing.

KC_Bobby
07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I'll try to swing by Friday night and meat some of you farkers...

Don't drop your butt.:eek:

smknwhlswife
07-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Just talked to Andy.....Pork Pullin Plowboys came out 8th overall!!! Andy got 2nd in Chicken and Todd got 4th? in Pork.

Munchin Hogs @ the Hilton are going to the JACK!!!! They just got their 7th win for the year.

Bud's BBQ
07-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Congratulations to the Brethren! Sounds like 'fear the pig' brings new meaning!!

Jeff_in_KC
07-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Read elsewhere that Mr. Kick just might have scored a first place call in brisket? Also, Bubba's Jeff was cooking with 4 Men and a Pig and I'm assuming those first place ribs belonged to him??? Way to go, guys!!!

spicewine
07-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Not to steal Todd's Thunder, but The Spice Man took 3rd in Pork!! 37 Teams. Alot of heavy hitters!! Most of them Brethren.

Too much fun this weekend with all the Brethren!! Had a great time.

Spice

spicewine
07-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Congrats to the Belly Brothers!! They took our " Best BBQ'er in Boone County honor away from us this year. You guys are the best!! We had alot of laughs and Kick------ I don't want to hear any more " BOO HOO HOO!! I'VE LOST MY TOUCH---WHAAAAA--WHAAAA---WHAAA!!!

I'm only giving you a break because you cook on a Spice******

Plowboy
07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Overall

GC Munchin Hogs
RGC Learn2Q.com
3. Four Men and a Pig
4. Belly Brothers BBQ
5. Ray J's BBQ
6. Sweet Chipotle BBQ
7. Nellie Bell's
8. Pork Pullin Plowboys
9. The Smokin Walz
10. Muddy River Boys

Chicken
1. Fishnet BBQ
2. Pork Pullin Plowboys
3. Rub it Till it Smokes
4. Beef Town Basters
5. MO Swine
6. Beam Boys BBQ
7. Learn2Q.com
8. Signature Foods
9. Munchin Hogs
10. Com'in Git It

Ribs
1. Four Men and a Pig
2. Pigs Gone Wild
3. Natural Born Grillers
4. The Meateorites
5. The Smokin Walzs
6. Backwoods BBQ
7. Ray J's
8. MO Swine
9. Belly Brothers
10. Learn2Q.com

Pork
1. Learn2Q.com
2. Ray J's BBQ
3. Team Q
4. Pork Pullin Plowboys
5. Signature Foods
6. Munchin Hogs
7. Muddy River Boys
8. Nellie Bell's
9. Come'n Git It
10. Meateorites

Brisket
1. Belly Brothers
2. Muchin Hogs
3. Fishnet BBQ
4. Sweet Chipotle BBQ
5. Four Men & a Pig
6. Ray J's
7. Chicken 'n' Pig
8. Muddy River Boys
9. Learn2Q.com
10. Natural Born Grillers

MrSmoker
07-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Congrats Brothers,WTG.

Plowboy
07-28-2007, 08:59 PM
A few pics from the weekend.

Jeff_in_KC
07-28-2007, 09:15 PM
So... inquiring minds want to know... who did York have the pleasure of presenting the Brethren Loser Trophy to this year? (Good thing Big Creek sat this one out or it probably would have been us.)

beam boys bbq
07-28-2007, 10:07 PM
jeff
i got to keep it for one more year one of my ribs was not cut all the way through and killed me:rolleyes:

i just want to go on file and say i realy hate this contes there is an very bad vibe at boon county fair for the beam boys

york

but we got to walk to day paul did the chicken solo and walked his first time :grin:

smknwhlswife
07-28-2007, 10:09 PM
So... inquiring minds want to know... who did York have the pleasure of presenting the Brethren Loser Trophy to this year? (Good thing Big Creek sat this one out or it probably would have been us.)
York gets to keep it. I'm sure he will share more later.

That fried chicken was the BOMB!!!! It turned out so moist and juicy, pretty darn good stuff - best I've had in ages.

And a brief explanation of the bottle pic Todd posted -- we had those in the camper freezer for 2 days. When we stuck them in the cooler, they were so cold that the ice froze to them, and stuck the bottles together. :twisted: Now THAT makes an ice cold Margarita!!! <Thats how we roll8-) >

It was great seeing all the brothers this weekend. Always a pleasure cooking against so many great teams. Thanks for a great time in Columbia. And Kick.... I think you have that cooker figured out!!!!:rolleyes:

HoDeDo
07-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Opps! looks like I was posting in drag... sorry for posting under your log in Kim!

Ron_L
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Opps! looks like I was posting in drag...

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :rolleyes:

Congrats to all of the brethren! great showing, guys!

Captain Caveman
07-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Congrats to all.....Looks like I missed a great contest.

slat
07-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Congrats to everyone. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Jeff_in_KC
07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Opps! looks like I was posting in drag... sorry for posting under your log in Kim!

"Posting in drag"... that is farkin' CLASSIC!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

York, bro, you have the damnest time at Columbia! And the chitter is that you gotta cook it at least once more to get rid of that God-forsaken trophy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

SloppyQ
07-29-2007, 02:28 PM

Is Jay holding the canopy up or is the canopy holding Jay up? Great showing guys. York, leave that trophy hidden at home next weekend.

beam boys bbq
07-29-2007, 03:29 PM
next weekend we are at lauri paul is cooking it buy him self in colorado for the weekend

york

Solidkick
07-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Wow...I just don't know where to start....
What a strong field this weekend...I knew the Plowboys were coming, and all of us were going to have to contend with them, then pulls in other top of the line cooks as the day goes on...you start looking around and saying.."ah chit...maybe top half will be good this weekend...."
Andy and Todd...thanks for coming to our contest, I hope the central MoFos showed you a good time.
I have to thank Darrel, Belly Bro II, for slowing me down on the brisket, as I was antsey about it getting done (imagine me antsey, LOL) and he talked me through just letting it cook in it's own sweet time. We really thought the pork would be our best showing, and was really surprised when the brisket got the highest score in a catagory we've ever gotten with a 175, mostly 9's with a few 8's....the call felt good but was not expected....Thanks to Phil for sending me some Poobahmanian brisket MoJo!:mrgreen:
Jay is a pork cooking fool...no doubt about it...he's been very consistant this year and that's what it takes. It's always good to see your friends walk, but when your Brethren friends walk, it's like part of your family...so Congrats to all my family that walked this weekend....you guys are all great cooks!

Three years ago, KC came down and cooked our first KCBS contest with us at the Boone County fair...as many of my past posts have said, KC and I spent a lot of time working on brisket cooking skills...I dedicate this year's 1st place win in brisket to his memory.....Thank you brother....

Solidkick
07-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Todd...I don't have the score sheet, but I think we got the ribbon and money for 9th in ribs, would you edit the scores post if this is correct?
Thanks!

Plowboy
07-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Todd...I don't have the score sheet, but I think we got the ribbon and money for 9th in ribs, would you edit the scores post if this is correct?
Thanks!

Yup. I totally skipped 8th place and put MO Swine in 9th. Doh!

Bigdog
07-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Three years ago, KC came down and cooked our first KCBS contest with us at the Boone County fair...as many of my past posts have said, KC and I spent a lot of time working on brisket cooking skills...I dedicate this year's 1st place win in brisket to his memory.....Thank you brother....

That is so cool.8-) Thanks for sharing Bro. Kick. Fat cap up!:wink:

Greatgrills
07-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Congrats to everyone:-P

spicewine
07-30-2007, 08:29 AM
I really don't know what to think about the scores that were all across the board and useing teen age girls as table captains.

We turned in a very good, consistant product and some idiot gave us a 3 in tenderness on brisket!!!! Holy Fark !!! It was as tender as can be!! The same quality brisket that we always turn in.

Oh Well!! We live to cook again and don't plan on changing a thing for the next contest.

York: If you had cut that 1 rib properly , that trophy would be gone!!! Hang in there Bro. Sorry we didn't come by afterwards but we knew you were upset and didn't want to make things worse.

Spice

Greatgrills
07-30-2007, 09:08 AM
[quote=spicewine;436375]I really don't know what to think about the scores that were all across the board and useing teen age girls as table captains.

We turned in a very good, consistant product and some idiot gave us a 3 in tenderness on brisket!!!! Holy Fark !!! It was as tender as can be!! The same quality brisket that we always turn in.

Oh Well!! We live to cook again and don't plan on changing a thing for the next contest.

Didnt he just put on a judging class? I wonder why he didnt have that many certified judges. I thought that was the purpose of the class.

spicewine
07-30-2007, 09:43 AM
The Fair Queen and her 3 runner ups were all Table Captains!!!!!

HoDeDo
07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Didnt he just put on a judging class? I wonder why he didnt have that many certified judges. I thought that was the purpose of the class.

I have heard that is one of the biggest beefs with Mike... He uses "celebrity" judges, before certified folks. Sounds like he was keeping with that theme for the table captains. Oh well, at least the goodie bags were nice:rolleyes: hehehe

lazyjacres
07-30-2007, 11:17 AM
There were several people from Boone County Bank in as judges also. He said they needed the exposure for their upcoming contest. He doesn't believe in using certified judges. They don't do anything for him beyond the contest.
It's going to be the same way at the Roots & Blues down town in September. They said they are using mainly "Celebrety Judges" with certified judges as fill in's.

Greatgrills
07-30-2007, 11:19 AM
There were several people from Boone County Bank in as judges also. He said they needed the exposure for their upcoming contest. He doesn't believe in using certified judges. They don't do anything for him beyond the contest.
It's going to be the same way at the Roots & Blues down town in September. They said they are using mainly "Celebrety Judges" with certified judges as fill in's.

We have talked to one of the lady's helping with the contest and they already have several certified judges signed up.

beam boys bbq
07-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I really don't know what to think about the scores that were all across the board and useing teen age girls as table captains.

York: If you had cut that 1 rib properly , that trophy would be gone!!! Hang in there Bro. Sorry we didn't come by afterwards but we knew you were upset and didn't want to make things worse.

Spice
thanks jay

that rib was my falt and i normaly seperate them all be for turn in it just had to be that weekend where i was rushed and got cought

well there is next year :icon_blush:

hay i have to look at the good side in it all paul got his first walk on chicken
and we had an good time

york

jt
07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
You pat my back I'll pat yours.

lazyjacres
07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
According to the person they sent to the Hallsville city council meeting, the certified judges are alternates.
I went to one of the initial planning meetings with the group that the bank has hired to run the contest, and they were actually thinking of selling judging tables to companies / businesses for their people.
I hope your info is more accurate........ They didn't want to hear my speech about using only certified judges. She shut me down pretty quick.

Solidkick
07-30-2007, 12:19 PM
York,
Come this time next year, if you keep hanging here on the board and read, ask questions, and learn, you'll be cooking at a whole new level. The info is here amongst some of the best cooks in the country, I ain't talking just midwest either.......there's a lot to be learned from the east coast cooks as well as the west coast cooks. There's a lot of talented cooks here on this site.
Best of luck, hang in there!

Greatgrills
07-30-2007, 01:16 PM
According to the person they sent to the Hallsville city council meeting, the certified judges are alternates.
I went to one of the initial planning meetings with the group that the bank has hired to run the contest, and they were actually thinking of selling judging tables to companies / businesses for their people.
I hope your info is more accurate........ They didn't want to hear my speech about using only certified judges. She shut me down pretty quick.

That's too bad that they are only taking advice from one person on how judging should be done. Let him go cook a contest and spend a bunch of money and get below average scores(2,3,4) and I bet that might change...

smknwhlswife
07-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Congrats to all the Brethren who walked. Great Job!

Plowboy
07-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Congrats to all the Brethren who walked. Great Job!

Andy? That you, again?

smknwhlswife
07-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Andy? That you, again?

Nope, he isn't in drag this time!!!! It's really me.:smile:

Plowboy
07-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Nope, he isn't in drag this time!!!! It's really me.:smile:

That's a drag. :wink:

Fredbird
07-30-2007, 03:25 PM
That's a drag. :wink:

Guys please stop, this Andy in drag thing is freaking me out!:lol:

Chick'n Pig BBQ
07-30-2007, 05:20 PM
You pat my back I'll pat yours.

Isn't selling judging tables against KCBS rules????? If this is true I want a refund!!!!!

MilitantSquatter
07-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Congrats on the calls guys...

Interesting reports by all !!!! Thanks !!

Andy - I think I need one of those aprons !!!

Chick'n Pig BBQ
07-30-2007, 05:36 PM
That's too bad that they are only taking advice from one person on how judging should be done. Let him go cook a contest and spend a bunch of money and get below average scores(2,3,4) and I bet that might change...

I now get it Mark.
This past weekend we had the most inconsistent scores of any contest we have ever done. I know I am not the only one who is a little disappointed. Just ask Norton!!!!! and others!

I think the list of teams that refuse to cook this contest has grown.

spicewine
07-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Case in point

Brisket: 988----987----977---888----754----753!!!!:icon_smil :icon_smil :icon_smil

KC_Bobby
07-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Case in point

Brisket: 988----987----977---888----754----753!!!!:icon_smil :icon_smil :icon_smil

Looks like you called an audible.

burnin butts
07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, I'm glad it wasn't just my scores that were all over.
We thought we had a winning product. Everything came out like clockwork and I thought our presentation was at the top.
But, now I know what we're up against for downtown Columbia.

Greatgrills
07-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Isn't selling judging tables against KCBS rules????? If this is true I want a refund!!!!!

Selling tables is against the rules. I wonder who we could contact and get a straight answer from as to if they are doing it...I remember one year at Boone Co contest that they were selling raffles for the meat that was left over after the judging and when confronted they didnt know anything about it...Even though a very good source heard it going on.

KC_Bobby
07-30-2007, 09:12 PM
As a newbie compititor, it surprises me that KCBS continues to sanction this event. Can I assume you will all find a different event next year? Or maybe team up as one real big team and just do it for chit's and giggles?

Greatgrills
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM
As a newbie compititor, it surprises me that KCBS continues to sanction this event. Can I assume you will all find a different event next year? Or maybe team up as one real big team and just do it for chit's and giggles?

There is an idea...I know that we have not cooked this event the last 2 yrs...I wonder how many cooks you could have on one team:twisted:

HoDeDo
07-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Congrats on the calls guys...

Interesting reports by all !!!! Thanks !!

Andy - I think I need one of those aprons !!!

I might just have a spare HoDeDo apron... That particular one was from a contest we did in Manhattan!!! (Ok, it was the little apple, Manhattan,KS)

We had them done as part of the fundraising we were doing that weekend for the memorial fund we were supporting. Long story there, but, a great cause.

PM me and we'll talk apron.:cool:

HoDeDo
07-30-2007, 09:26 PM
There is an idea...I know that we have not cooked this event the last 2 yrs...I wonder how many cooks you could have on one team:twisted:

Considering how many BBQ Brethren are at that event, it would be pretty easy to put together one LARGE team. and shrink his entries by 10 or so.
Hmmm.....

beam boys bbq
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
i am gamed for amy thing just to get ride of this trophy:eusa_clap

we are right on the verg of boy cotting all contes in columbia be sides two

shriners and brain injury

i will travel to another state to compeat with good judges:icon_sleepy

KC_Bobby
07-30-2007, 09:33 PM

According to KCBS rules:
Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many Brethren as the chief cook deems necessary. A team shall not compete in more than one contest under the same team name, on the same date.

Greatgrills
07-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Considering how many BBQ Brethren are at that event, it would be pretty easy to put together one LARGE team. and shrink his entries by 10 or so.
Hmmm.....

Yeah but with those that did place it will be hard to get everyone on board. I know that if I was cooking that contest and found out that the queen and her 3 runners up were table captains that would do it for me.. They dont know what they are doing or what to look for...Like everyone else we spend good money to go and lose these contest...At least give us a fair playing field...If anyone else is game we are..Something to think about..We could all go in there under the team name BBQ BRETHREN

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2007, 10:14 PM
We could all go in there under the team name BBQ BRETHREN

Or better yet... call the team "The Certified Judges". That would get Mike's goat! :wink:

Greatgrills
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Or better yet... call the team "The Certified Judges". That would get Mike's goat! :wink:

Good one

Plowboy
07-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah but with those that did place it will be hard to get everyone on board. I know that if I was cooking that contest and found out that the queen and her 3 runners up were table captains that would do it for me.. They dont know what they are doing or what to look for...Like everyone else we spend good money to go and lose these contest...At least give us a fair playing field...If anyone else is game we are..Something to think about..We could all go in there under the team name BBQ BRETHREN

Or this could be our choice weekend for a Brethren contest nearby. Unsanctioned, but a HELL of a good time. Just pull all of his teams over to a non-sanctioned event.

Plowboy
07-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Selling tables is against the rules. I wonder who we could contact and get a straight answer from as to if they are doing it...I remember one year at Boone Co contest that they were selling raffles for the meat that was left over after the judging and when confronted they didnt know anything about it...Even though a very good source heard it going on.

We have some KCBS Board members here. That's a place to start.

beam boys bbq
07-30-2007, 10:34 PM

i am gamed for that just turn it in to an night of drinking sound good to me :mrgreen:

york

Plowboy
07-30-2007, 10:37 PM

i am gamed for that just turn it in to an night of drinking sound good to me :mrgreen:

york

And the whole team would go up for every call. :shock:

Seems like I've heard something about too many cooks in the kitchen. My vote would be Mark Hyman cooks and the rest of us drink. That would be the first GC for most of us. :lol:

beam boys bbq
07-30-2007, 10:39 PM
i feel sorry for the poor sucker that would go up against all of us
and i would know that dam trophy would be gone :icon_shy

york

Greatgrills
07-30-2007, 10:44 PM
And the whole team would go up for every call. :shock:

Seems like I've heard something about too many cooks in the kitchen. My vote would be Mark Hyman cooks and the rest of us drink. That would be the first GC for most of us. :lol:

How about everyone cooks and it dont matter how many cooks are in the kitchen...We all know what needs to be done....Just go out and have a good time..Let the record show that we have not done good in our last few contest:mad: Like I said if everyone would get one the same page we are there:twisted: :twisted:

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2007, 10:54 PM
i feel sorry for the poor sucker that would go up against all of us
and i would know that dam trophy would be gone :icon_shy

york

Not so fast, York! That is a BRETHREN trophy... if all Brethren were cooking together, you still gotta keep it! :lol:

BBQchef33
07-31-2007, 12:08 AM
If I lived in MO, i'd vote for the Brethren Only Comp...WilliePaLooza was a Brethren only comp and a total blast.. its a no stress, all fun event..

BTW.. for the record.. "BBQ Brethren" is my team name inside KCBS.

lazyjacres
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM

Skip, I'm relatively sure they gave up the selling the tables idea but, I think they are still using "celebrity judges" for the most part.

Solidkick
07-31-2007, 12:24 PM
I think the real issue here is we have two people locally that are contest organizers, Jamey being one of them. One tends to run a contest in the interest of the cooks, one tends to run a contest based on his own personal needs. I believe the majority likes the way Jamey runs a contest, and will continue to attend these events. If the other party wishes to not change his organizational thinking, that is his preference. Then it us up to the cooks to cook his contests or not. We are fortunate enough to have 4 contests a year in our hometown, not many others can say that. Choosing which ones to support is each ones decision based on many factors. I believe there are avenues to take to try and persuade ones way of thinking, and we have a year to try and do that before just up and saying "I'm not going back". If we try and then there is nothing changed, then this event may be hard pressed to get enough teams to even be santioned, there is a lot of bitterness right now by many.
I can't change what's happened, but collectively, we may may a difference for next year.

Now.....does anyone give a chit that I'm one of the Best Bar-B-Quers in Boone County?????:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

spicewine
07-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Now.....does anyone give a chit that I'm one of the Best Bar-B-Quers in Boone County?????:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Nope!!!8-)

lazyjacres
07-31-2007, 12:57 PM
I think the real issue here is we have two people locally that are contest organizers, Jamey being one of them. One tends to run a contest in the interest of the cooks, one tends to run a contest based on his own personal needs. I believe the majority likes the way Jamey runs a contest, and will continue to attend these events. If the other party wishes to not change his organizational thinking, that is his preference. Then it us up to the cooks to cook his contests or not. We are fortunate enough to have 4 contests a year in our hometown, not many others can say that. Choosing which ones to support is each ones decision based on many factors. I believe there are avenues to take to try and persuade ones way of thinking, and we have a year to try and do that before just up and saying "I'm not going back". If we try and then there is nothing changed, then this event may be hard pressed to get enough teams to even be santioned, there is a lot of bitterness right now by many.
I can't change what's happened, but collectively, we may may a difference for next year.

I give a chit......... but that's about it!

Bellybro
07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Now.....does anyone give a chit that I'm one of the Best Bar-B-Quers in Boone County?????

Chick'n Pig BBQ
07-31-2007, 04:17 PM

Now look at what's been created. We have to listen to this chit for a farkin year !!!!!!!!!

Congratulations kick!!! You the man!!!!!

baggs
07-31-2007, 04:19 PM
I'd like to meet this "didler" fella and all the Belly Brothers. They are my new idols!! :wink: Congrats on best BBQer in Boone Co.!!

Bellybro
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
We learned by cooking next to you guys over the last couple years!!!!!!

Solidkick
07-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Nope!!!8-)

Now look at what's been created. We have to listen to this chit for a farkin year !!!!!!!!!

And you have to read it in my signature line too! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
07-31-2007, 06:26 PM
That's farkin awesome, Gary! You deserve it! As much effort and time as you put into your Q! And dedicating the brisket win to Brother Scott... that's one of the coolest things I've seen on this forum. And there's a lot to choose from that's really cool here. Nice going!

ChipotlePat
08-01-2007, 07:12 AM
I am sending in a contestant critique of a sanctioned KCBS and it will not look good for this contestant. I'm not suprised he did not pass out any becues he did not want kcbs to find out hot bad it is at this contest.

Bellybro
08-01-2007, 07:25 AM
They handed some kind of opinion sheet out with all the boxes on Friday night. Everyone should fill theres out if they so choose to do so.

BellyBrotherII
08-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Everything we have learned over the years have been from the Brethren. Win our loose we always have a good time because we choose to have fun with our brothers. I want to personaly thank all of the teams for being at the contest because if it wasn't for you guys and gals being there it would just be a bbq contest with no fun involved. Thanks!

ChipotlePat
08-01-2007, 08:48 AM
I did not go to the cooks meating. I had a catering gig sorry did not know that.

lazyjacres
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I guess ultimatley we all have to realize that the judging is the one big unforseen in the total scheme of competition BBQ. Even with 100% certified judges, the variable is always there. We would all like to hope that everyone (competitors, organizers, reps...) could all be on the same page in regards to putting everything on an even keel at every contest. Unfortunatley this will probably never be....... Let's all remember why we do this. For me it's to enjoy the "ART" of BBQ, being with my friends, new and old, and enjoying the fellowship that we all hold sacred in this group.
Someone once asked me how much money I made in competition. I told them that if I was in it for the money, I'd have gotten out a long time ago. Of course the walk to the front and a little white envelope doesn't hurt my feelings any.
Regards to everyone that showed up to make this another memorable event, good or bad........... I always enjoy cooking with my old brothers, and meeting new ones that hopefully I will cook with again.
Keep the faith my Brother & Sisters, we will prevail.

Whew.... I"m glad I got that out! :icon_smil

Bellybro
08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Well put!

beam boys bbq
08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
i second that :icon_shy

spicewine
08-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Did I hear " Kumbiya" playing in the background???

Group Hug!!:twisted:

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
I guess ultimatley we all have to realize that the judging is the one big unforseen in the total scheme of competition BBQ. Even with 100% certified judges, the variable is always there. We would all like to hope that everyone (competitors, organizers, reps...) could all be on the same page in regards to putting everything on an even keel at every contest. Unfortunatley this will probably never be....... Let's all remember why we do this. For me it's to enjoy the "ART" of BBQ, being with my friends, new and old, and enjoying the fellowship that we all hold sacred in this group.
Someone once asked me how much money I made in competition. I told them that if I was in it for the money, I'd have gotten out a long time ago. Of course the walk to the front and a little white envelope doesn't hurt my feelings any.
Regards to everyone that showed up to make this another memorable event, good or bad........... I always enjoy cooking with my old brothers, and meeting new ones that hopefully I will cook with again.
Keep the faith my Brother & Sisters, we will prevail.

Whew.... I"m glad I got that out! :icon_smil

Jamey,
I get what you are saying and I do agree wholeheartedly, BUT this contest is run differently than other contests. Fair Queen's as table captains???
How many teams already refuse to cook this contest ?
That's sad!!!

jbrink01
08-01-2007, 05:16 PM
is all well and good, as is the group hug and digging deep to remember what got every last one of us started - that being the desire to cook great bbq. However -

To quote a country song that's out as well as I can "not everyone made the team, we were dissapointed, and that's ok". The reason we get dissapointed is that we are competitive. It is up to every contest organizer to be consistent. We may not win a d*mn thing, but we want to be judged equally and given the opportunity to win when were on and lose when we s*ck.

We generally have a great time, but game time is just that, game time. I can only make 2 or 3 contests a year, and hate to think even 1 of those was a wasted effort from a competitive / judging standpoint. I'll get off my soapbox now.

lazyjacres
08-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Jamey,
I get what you are saying and I do agree wholeheartedly, BUT this contest is run differently than other contests. Fair Queen's as table captains???
How many teams already refuse to cook this contest ?
That's sad!!!

My point exactly. We all do this for a reason and, we should stick together as a brotherhood to promote fairness and consistency in these contests. Especially around here, there are enough of us to make our voice heard. We have a year to get our point across or weigh our other options.
I'm absolutley sure that if we make our point in the right manner, or to the right people, the point will get across or we can force a change in the way, or who runs these particular contests.
That's all I've got to say about this...............

Chick'n Pig BBQ
08-01-2007, 10:38 PM
My point exactly. We all do this for a reason and, we should stick together as a brotherhood to promote fairness and consistency in these contests. Especially around here, there are enough of us to make our voice heard. We have a year to get our point across or weigh our other options.
I'm absolutley sure that if we make our point in the right manner, or to the right people, the point will get across or we can force a change in the way, or who runs these particular contests.
That's all I've got to say about this...............

I agree!!!
Thanks

spicewine
08-02-2007, 08:21 AM
This should be a Hot Topic at the next Beta Que meeting and a large turn out for this meeting is a must!!! If after we have spoken our peace, we don't get a positive response, then and only then should we decide upon a reactive move to support or not support this and other events like this one.

Spice

paydabill
08-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Sorry for being late.

I just got a couple of things to say. First congrats to everyone for getting your name called. I always like seeing people I know walk to the stage!

A big thanks to everyone that allowed me to hang; Jamie (probably the best lamb I ever tasted and you are always fun to talk to), Skip (I was talking about your food to my wife when I went home), Team Q (you guys are always fun to watch), Belly Brothers (It was great to meet you, my son is still talking baout playing with Mya), Beam Boys (great margritas, sorry about the ribs), and others who are not on this great site

On the subject of BCNB, I have been wishy/washy about this event all year. I have a friend who asked me if I wanted to do it and he was going to help pay. Ultimately, I say no. That is a lot of money to trust on people who think Masterpiece and boilling ribs is good q. Another thing I did not like was check in time at 2:00, and the organizer could not guarantee me that rule stood for everyone.

If anyone is doing it and wants help, I will be more than glad to hook up. I wish them well!