PDA

View Full Version : Harpoon - Rib Bet

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm changing my ribs for Harpoon. They'll either be first or last !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Doug can't stop me because he won't be there.

i am waiting for the day we can say we beat I Smell Smoke...

i hear THAT! ...and that day is a'coming!

it's been too long... i just had to talk some smack...

Scottie
07-18-2007, 01:50 PM
my guess will be middle of the pack if Lake Placid is any indication.... ;-)

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Hmmmm wanna bet ?

The Anchorman
07-18-2007, 02:15 PM
I am keeping our ribs the same that we have for the past few conests.:wink:

Scottie
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Hmmmm wanna bet ?

I don't want to cause any waves or excitement... Which I think I accomplished with my showing in LP... :wink:

I'm game...

Now what should we bet? I lose you get Italian Beefs? I win, I get lobster? :wink:

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Well I was going to bring you a couple of lobsters anyway.... How about the same bet we had on that playoff game ? Hawgeyes gift pack.....

Scottie
07-18-2007, 02:26 PM
So wait... That last bet that we did, I got no odds for my Bears... And it was a home game for the Pats... Now you want me to come to your house and expect to beat you in ribs? Do you think I'm crazy? Deal.... :razz:

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
So wait... That last bet that we did, I got no odds for my Bears... And it was a home game for the Pats... Now you want me to come to your house and expect to beat you in ribs? Do you think I'm crazy? Deal.... :razz:

LOL nice. Who else wants in ? Ray ? Smack Talkin Michelle ?

The Anchorman
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
ok so what are we betting? and how will we determiine the winner?

is it if we get a call up or is it if we beat the others betting?8-)

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
ok so what are we betting? and how will we determiine the winner?

is it if we get a call up or is it if we beat the others betting?8-)

The team that places best in ribs wins.

The Anchorman
07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
and we are betting a local food from our state?

I will check for answer later I will be away from computer 4 a while

rbsnwngs
07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
what about doing this at harpoon as well i would like to get in on some of this action

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
what about doing this at harpoon as well i would like to get in on some of this action

This is Harpoon

Scottie
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, it sounds like the NE needs a little Smack Talk. I feel like a real trailblazer... First it was Clonesicles... Now I might need to have a little Smack Talk class... And of course, how to lose and still be able to talk smack...

Ah, spreading the bbq love, one state at a time... I am the bbq ambassador of love... :wink:

Glad Michelle didn't start that smack talking after they beat me up in that grilling contest...

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 02:40 PM
and we are betting a local food from our state?

I will check for answer later I will be away from computer 4 a while

No the bet is for a hawgeyes gift pack although their aren't many listed at the moment. During the christmas holidays there is a big selection.

http://www.bbq-grill-smokers.com/BBQ-Forum-Special.html

rbsnwngs
07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
This is Harpoon

just think about this, you guys are going to be beat by a drunk and 3 of his amigos

rbsnwngs
07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, it sounds like the NE needs a little Smack Talk. I feel like a real trailblazer... First it was Clonesicles... Now I might need to have a little Smack Talk class... And of course, how to lose and still be able to talk smack...

Ah, spreading the bbq love, one state at a time... I am the bbq ambassador of love... :wink:

Glad Michelle didn't start that smack talking after they beat me up in that grilling contest...

i bet i can and will drink more beer then you
hows that for smack talk

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
just tink about this, you guys are going to be beat by a drunk and 3 of his amigos

Well think about this...You guys have been getting beat by 3 drunken Amigos for awhile now.......(is this smack enough Scottie).....

Scottie
07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I feel like I am in the midwest... ;-) But I don't have 2 other drunk amigos on my team though...

YankeeBBQ
07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
i bet i can and will drink more beer then you
hows that for smack talk

I don't drink much beer. Tequila mostly.

rbsnwngs
07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Well think about this...You guys have been getting beat by 3 drunken Amigos for awhile now.......(is this smack enough Scottie).....

havent competed against you yet so i guess we have been beating ourselves but looking forward to getting drunk with you.

Transformer BBQ
07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
so will the best one in ribs end up with a hawgeyes package from everyone else?

Scottie
07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
The way that Steve and I did it last year... The loser donated the Forum Gift pack to Kookers Kare, which ended up being a gift basket at the KCBS Banquet in January. So the money that they raised for the raffle tickets for the gift basket went to Kookers Kare... Or something like that.

I am open to all suggestions though. As I am sure Steve is too.

ique
07-18-2007, 04:27 PM
The team that places best in ribs wins.

I'm in!

lunchlady
07-18-2007, 07:18 PM
yep, count us in on the rib thang too... whatever the deal is.

put that in yer smoker....

and Willie... we've been trying to beat them with four drunks for about four years now...
and, I'll bet Sully can drink more beer than you... SMACK!

LET'S GET IT ON! ten days to go...

Transformer BBQ
07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
We'll be in either way... I just want to know who I'm paying... and if they would like their money Friday afternoon? or Saturday morning...

SmokeInDaEye
07-18-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm in too, and I'm not even competing! I figure you all will woop my arse anyway so I'll pay for the gift pack but will save on the gas and entry fee. Michelle, can you email me and let me know how I do?????

ique
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
yep, count us in on the rib thang too... whatever the deal is.

put that in yer smoker....

and Willie... we've been trying to beat them with four drunks for about four years now...
and, I'll bet Sully can drink more beer than you... SMACK!

LET'S GET IT ON! ten days to go...

Sully is the easy GC when it comes to beer drinking.

MilitantSquatter
07-18-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't know... I'm sure Sully can drink, but my monopoly money is on Willie B as the king of beer drinkers...

Jorge
07-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Willie is a walking keg. Save your money.

ique
07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Sully vs Willie... sounds like the American Royal of Beer Drinking.... Harpoon is the perfect venue....

SmokeInDaEye
07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Sully vs Willie... sounds like the American Royal of Beer Drinking.... Harpoon is the perfect venue....

BEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR-BEEEE-QUE!!!!!!!

Q Haven
07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Count me in on this thing too. How much will I owe when it's over?

MilitantSquatter
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Count me in on this thing too. How much will I owe when it's over?

The beer or the ribs ? :wink:

Q Haven
07-18-2007, 09:52 PM
The beer or the ribs ? :wink:

The beer prize should just be handed to Willie B when he arrives.

big daddy Q
07-18-2007, 10:01 PM
hey guys i'm flyin up to cook with dr. frankenswine. he tells me harpoon is a blast! sure hope to meet some fellow brothers while there..........what about doin a 5x5 bet for all 4 and overall ?

who all is goin, is this a large event??

Rub
07-18-2007, 10:20 PM
hey guys i'm flyin up to cook with dr. frankenswine. he tells me harpoon is a blast!

Oh damn, look out.
Whatever any of you brethren do, DO NOT get into a golf cart with big daddy Q.
Trust me on this one...

Sawdustguy
07-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Ladies and gentlemen we will be celebrating my birthday at Harpoon so stop by and tip one with the Polocks in celebrating another year of fun in the sun. Willie B. when you stop by please bring some of your own beer because we only get three cases. You drank us out of beer at Merrimack and Polock Gary doesn't function very well when sober. We love ya anyway Willie B.....:eek: :biggrin:

LostNation
07-19-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm in for the rib bet, I'd probably do pretty good in the beer drinking department.

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Ok so we have a bunch of takers on the rib bet. Now we need to decide what the heck we are betting for... Two bottles of rub and two bottles of sauce ? Winner take all ? Whatcha think ?

rbsnwngs
07-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Ok so we have a bunch of takers on the rib bet. Now we need to decide what the heck we are betting for... Two bottles of rub and two bottles of sauce ? Winner take all ? Whatcha think ?

i will donate a nice Rub and sauce package to kookers kare for this bet

LostNation
07-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Ok so we have a bunch of takers on the rib bet. Now we need to decide what the heck we are betting for... Two bottles of rub and two bottles of sauce ? Winner take all ? Whatcha
think ?

How about a donation to Cancersucks in the winners name by the loosing teams.

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 08:23 AM
How about a donation to Cancersucks in the winners name by the loosing teams.

How about a donation to the winners choice of charity....... say $25 buckeroos

LostNation
07-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm up for that, my charity would be the MS Society of Vermont.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-19-2007, 08:36 AM
This is a great way for us non-competing Brethren/Sisteren to get in on the action too. Count me in as another "loser".

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm up for that, my charity would be the MS Society of Vermont.

Mine would be the I Smell Smoke Jack Daniels Travel fund.......Just kidding

ique
07-19-2007, 08:40 AM
5 bucks per participating team, with proceeds going to the winning teams charity of choice? Sounds good.

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 08:44 AM
5 bucks per participating team, with proceeds going to the winning teams charity of choice? Sounds good.

$5 ??? Come on now....

ique
07-19-2007, 08:50 AM
$5 ??? Come on now....

I'm up for any amount, was just trying to follow along on what was decided

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm up for any amount, was just trying to follow along on what was decided

$25 to the winners choice of charity. So far I have.

Willy B
iQue
Lunchmeat
Transformer
Qhaven
Lost Nation
Scottie
Anchormen
Me

Automatic Losers(not sure if they were kidding or not)
He Smells like Smoke
Clint

Did I miss anyone ??

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-19-2007, 08:59 AM
$25 to the winners choice of charity.
Automatic Losers(not sure if they were kidding or not)
He Smells like Smoke
Clint

Did I miss anyone ??

Nope, not kidding. Sounds like a great idea to me.

ique
07-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Cool, I'll be donating the money to a rider in the Pan-Mass challenge :-D

http://www.jimmyfund.org/eve/event/pan-mass/default.html

Q Haven
07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Sounds good. Mine will go to the Human Fund.

SmokeInDaEye
07-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Nope, not kidding. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Me too.

Scottie
07-19-2007, 09:54 AM
damn, now I will have to try... :wink: You know what my charity will be. For cancer research...

I would also be up for the $5 across the board for each category and overall too... turn-ins is Saturday, right? Just making sure. As I don't think I will do the grillng on Sunday, so I can hit the road back to Chi-Town... Just as I was getting the feel for this grilling thing too... lol

Scottie

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
What about Purple Turtle ? Are you in ? I know there is a lurker out here that wants in on the bet but I think they are afraid to post.........

Scottie
07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
just got an email back from Fitz. I'll be pulling in on Thursday at some point. Depending if I drive through the night or not... Anything to do in Wndsor, besides drink beer? I mean, trying to think for the kids here... lol

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 10:58 AM
just got an email back from Fitz. I'll be pulling in on Thursday at some point. Depending if I drive through the night or not... Anything to do in Wndsor, besides drink beer? I mean, trying to think for the kids here... lol

http://www.rails-vt.com/wrf_main.html

http://www.kayak-canoe.com/

ique
07-19-2007, 11:03 AM
This park is right behind Harpoon... my kids have had a fun time playing there... also the CT river is walking distance and is good swimming....

http://www.pathoflifegarden.com/

barfly
07-19-2007, 11:10 AM

While I can certainly vouch for Willie's ability for copious consumption and have witnessed same, I have no doubt that anyone who can blow out a P.A. system by screaming BAAHHBAAAQUUEE into it the way Sully did at Merrimack would give Will a run for his money.

This should be fun...

ique
07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.rails-vt.com/wrf_main.html

http://www.kayak-canoe.com/

http://www.stillriveroutfitters.com/SROLocations.html

This is canoe/kayak place is right on the grounds of Harpoon.

Scottie
07-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Cool, this is something I can get into... I hope the weather holds out and it doesn't snow like in Lake Placid... lol

ique
07-19-2007, 11:40 AM
If you havent guessed yet, I'd much rather hang in the Harpoon thread today than work....

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USVT0291?from=search_10day

lunchlady
07-19-2007, 11:51 AM
weather's lookin' good so far!

Just a friendly nugget of advice... Scottie - the Connecticut River can run pretty fast so keep a'hold of your youngest at first til you get used to it. Follow the path around the field and don't try to go down the steep banks...they are not for the faint of heart or ankle.

I always try to get down there for some swimming at some point on Friday once we get set-up so I'll look for y'all.

yea - one week to go!

LostNation
07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Cool, this is something I can get into... I hope the weather holds out and it doesn't snow like in Lake Placid... lol

Come on Scottie, it hardly ever snows in Vermont in July. Rain now that's another thing, I don't remember a dry Harpoon since 2003.

Our pace of life is a lot slower in Vermont, not like the hustle and bustle of Lake Placid. So come north and relax with a cold Harpoon :)

rbsnwngs
07-19-2007, 01:32 PM
my charity of choice is Breast cancer help, inc here on long island so i'm in for any amount

Lakeside Smoker
07-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm in for $25.
I won't be competing but I'll be up there judging and partying with you all! Who's collecting funds?

Mike

Nitrofly
07-20-2007, 04:06 AM
I have to do some real work for a couple of days and All this Smack
talk starts.. Sully don't do drinking contests no more.. that came straight
from the judge or was that giving out candy to the school girls I can't
know. I do have a fresh jar of cherries ready for Harpoon. So who
learned the most about ribs.. Those how took the I Smell Smoke class or
those who took the Lotta Bull class?? And if you took both classes can
you combine both and kick some butt in Ribs.. Every team that loses to
Scottie donates $25 to cancersuckschicago.com.. I just picked two
bottles of Gentleman Jack.. One Clonesicle for friday night and one for
saturday night.. I think we might just be getting torn down at Harpoon
this year... I wish this was Harpoon weekend.. I can't wait.
Sully vs Willie... sounds like the American Royal of Beer Drinking.... Harpoon is the perfect venue.... Willie we will surely be drinking some fine
Harpoon beer.. Stop by for a cherry to top off all that beer

rbsnwngs
07-20-2007, 05:00 AM
i will stop by and throw a few back hopfully i will have recovered from Willie-Palooza this weekend ive got 2 kegs on order for this weekend just in case everyone else wants to drink

LostNation
07-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Is it me or are some of the Long Island teams (Polacks & Bad Bones) to skeert to put thier ribs on the line. It's for a good cause.

Sawdustguy
07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Arrrrg Mr. Decker, so ye chooses to challenge ye Polocks? As the captain of this ship I accepts and as ye leaves fetch me the cabin boy with his skivvies on backwards.

MilitantSquatter
07-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Is it me or are some of the Long Island teams (Polacks & Bad Bones) to skeert to put thier ribs on the line. It's for a good cause.

Sorry Rich... I was just trying to keep your confidence level up as long as possible...

Bad Bones is officially in !!!! (It is $25 right ??????)

If you want you can all begin making your check out to Breast Cancer Help Inc. I'll support Willie's favorite charity for this one since he does a lot for them on Long Island.

Guy - Since I've got the pig pirate logo, shouldn't I be the one talkin "Pirate-ese" ??

big daddy Q
07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
i'm in for 25 under dr frankenswine, see you guys on friday !

by the way, do the judges up there like the vinager based sauce or do they like it sweet ???

MilitantSquatter
07-23-2007, 07:08 PM
i'm in for 25 under dr frankenswine, see you guys on friday !

by the way, do the judges up there like the vinager based sauce or do they like it sweet ???

Here's my advice.. After all the New Englander's lie to you with a straight face......do the opposite :wink:

big daddy Q
07-23-2007, 07:17 PM
thank you, down here we use a vinager-lard based sauce with some kick to it................ thats all i really know, i guess if sweet is the thing in harpoon i can get some cattlemans.............thanks again vinny

LostNation
07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
thank you, down here we use a vinager-lard based sauce with some kick to it................ thats all i really know, i guess if sweet is the thing in harpoon i can get some cattlemans.............thanks again vinny

I think the vinegar- lard sauce is the ticket, you can't make it hot enough. I use a lot of habenaro's in my sauce and the New England judges seem to like it. Remember this is Vermont, not for the feint of heart.

YankeeBBQ
07-24-2007, 07:23 AM
I think the vinegar- lard sauce is the ticket, you can't make it hot enough. I use a lot of habenaro's in my sauce and the New England judges seem to like it. Remember this is Vermont, not for the feint of heart.

Grape Jelly and a bottle of Daves Insanity sauce works for me !! Hey what about the turtles ? Talk about fraidy cats !!!!!!

Jorge
07-24-2007, 08:42 AM
If you want you can all begin making your check out to Breast Cancer Help Inc. I'll support Willie's favorite charity for this one since he does a lot for them on Long Island.

I like Willie's chances. Some folks might remember his demo on 'The Best Ribs Ever' last year8-) I know I do, because I still have some of the video on my phone8-)

SmokeInDaEye
07-24-2007, 09:03 AM
I like Willie's chances. Some folks might remember his demo on 'The Best Ribs Ever' last year8-) I know I do, because I still have some of the video on my phone8-)

Ah, yes. He was in total control of that demo...

Loosenut
07-24-2007, 09:07 AM
OK, just because I don't know any better, have a new rib recipe and this is our first Harpoon, count the Champlain Pit Crew in. Just let me know where the $25 needs to go.

Gary

nancee
07-24-2007, 04:26 PM
stop already!!! some of us have to work for a living!!!
plus I think there is a fair amount of recovering going on in the turtle pit too!!! So we're in; now someone just has to tell me what we're in for as I have not spent a lot of time lurking recently

Grape Jelly and a bottle of Daves Insanity sauce works for me !! Hey what about the turtles ? Talk about fraidy cats !!!!!!

lunchlady
07-24-2007, 08:02 PM
whoever wins ribs, if they are in on the bet, at Harpoon, all money (at $25 each) goes to their fave charity.

is that right?

YankeeBBQ
07-24-2007, 08:10 PM
whoever wins ribs, if they are in on the bet, at Harpoon, all money (at $25 each) goes to their fave charity.

is that right?

That's it in a nutshell

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-24-2007, 08:19 PM

is that right?

It's gonna have to go to the fave charity of whoever scores the highest among the ones participating in the Rib Bet. The winner of ribs might not be part of the Bet - although I doubt anyone else will win :mrgreen:

Sledneck
07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
What about a 13th place chicken bet?

nancee
07-24-2007, 08:55 PM
OK, Willie B's breast Cancer Fund gets my vote

That's it in a nutshell

YankeeBBQ
07-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Well the new rub I wanted to try on my ribs isn't coming until Friday so I guess I'll have to revert back to my regular recipe. Unless Scottie wants to give me some rub :wink:

ihbobry
07-25-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm changing my ribs for Harpoon. They'll either be first or last !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Doug can't stop me because he won't be there.

Well the new rub I wanted to try on my ribs isn't coming until Friday so I guess I'll have to revert back to my regular recipe. Unless Scottie wants to give me some rub :wink:

And the sandbaging is complete!:rolleyes:

Jorge
07-25-2007, 04:07 PM
And the sandbaging is complete!:rolleyes:

You read my mind. I'm not playing cards with him either.:lol:

nancee
07-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey Jorge!!!
You bringing some of that good sausage for me???
nancee

BBQchef33
07-25-2007, 11:17 PM
hey im in too..!!

Now, can someone get me into Harpoon?

:mrgreen:

SmokeInDaEye
07-26-2007, 09:39 AM
hey im in too..!!

Now, can someone get me into Harpoon?

:mrgreen:

I think it's free and open to the public so you can just show up! They have clowns, face painting, The Chris Piquette Band, and some sort of a barbeque contest.:twisted:

rbsnwngs
07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
and i here they give out free beer

CTSmokehouse
07-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I think it's free and open to the public so you can just show up! They have clowns, face painting, The Chris Piquette Band, and some sort of a barbeque contest.:twisted:

They charge admission for the public. $5 or something like that. Team members and judges go in free. Judges get free beer after judging.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I though everyone would like to know that Michelle (Lunchmeat BBQ Team), who won the rib bet, chose to donate all their bet winnings to Scottie's (cancersuckschicago.com) Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation.

Great idea to donate the winnings to charity. Sorry I got there too late to say hello to Scottie before he headed back to Chicago.

Had a chance to drop by and congratulate the Lunchmeat team in person. They always make a Brother feel very welcome.

CTSmokehouse
07-29-2007, 08:07 PM
That's really nice...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Transformer BBQ
07-30-2007, 09:03 AM
So Michelle/ Gary who should i make my check out to?

Jorge
07-30-2007, 09:55 PM
So Michelle/ Gary who should i make my check out to?

Unless I'm mistaken you can use paypal via www.cancersuckschicago.com (http://www.cancersuckschicago.com).

lunchlady
07-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey all - thank you for the congrats...we are still flying high, and I can't wait to 'dirty up' the new Egg! I had forgotten that Harpoon was giving one away. WOO-HOO!!

AWESOME JOB ANCHORMEN!

It was absolutely fantastic to meat, and re-meat, and hang with so many Brethren! It seems I missed you Jorge, I never did get up on the hill, and I only saw Poohbah from afar. Next year...

As for the rib bet... I hit up almost everyone on Saturday after awards. If I missed you... you know who you are. Get yer butts to Scotty's website and PAY UP! It was much fun and I am SO happy to have helped out.

I'm sad it's over... how many days til next year?

Scottie
07-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Once again Michelle, you and Gary humbled me with your generosity of the donation. The final results were barely annouinced and you had them make an announment that the rib bet proceeds were to go to my foundation. If anyone has any questions, you can contact me via email or our website is www.cancersuckschicago.com (http://www.cancersuckschicago.com)

For the record, there were almost $350 in donations that I collected at Harpoon this past weekend. That also includes some people that just wanted to make a donation to our foundation.

Thanks again Michelle and Gary. We'll see you guys down at the Jack this October!!! ;-)

Scottie

Transformer BBQ
07-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks, I'll make it online today.
-Brendan

Jorge
07-31-2007, 08:14 AM
It was absolutely fantastic to meat, and re-meat, and hang with so many Brethren! It seems I missed you Jorge, I never did get up on the hill, and I only saw Poohbah from afar. Next year...

As for the rib bet... I hit up almost everyone on Saturday after awards. If I missed you... you know who you are. Get yer butts to Scotty's website and PAY UP! It was much fun and I am SO happy to have helped out.

Even from up on the hill I feel like I know Sully pretty well:wink:

I carried the cash to Scottie for Bad Bones and I Like Smoke-N-Lightning BBQ. I never enjoy being on the losing end of a bet, but knowing it was going to a good cause made it a lot easier....seeing how much Scottie appreciated it made it a pleasure.