View Full Version : San Francisco BBQ joints?

07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Going to San Fran in August. Any chance there are any good bbq joints out there?

BBQ Grail
07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Going to San Fran in August. Any chance there are any good bbq joints out there?
I got the following from Scottyj13...

Hi Larry,
The state of BBQ here in the city makes me sad. To put it nicely, good BBQ is severely lacking.

Here's the list of the places (in order of my favorites) that I've been to.

1. Johnson's Barbeque
2. Memphis Minnie's
3. Big Nate's

There's a new place called Roadside BBQ. I haven't been there, but I've heard everything from "Stay Away" to "Average". None of these places are in the Pier 39 area. I'm sure there's a chain bbq joint down there, but honestly I try to stay away from that area, so I have no what's actually down there anymore. Johnson's is a ways away...it would be a fair significant cab fare or drive, but in my opinion it's the best in the city. Memphis Minnie's is in the lower Haight. It may be your best bet as there's other stuff to do on Haight. Big Nates...a lot of people here love that place, I think it's average. I've never actually been there as they do deliveries. Bonus: the owner is Nate Thurmond.

There's also a place out in the east bay called Beau's or Bo's BBQ...have yet to make it there, but I've heard it's good.

07-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I will be staying/working in San Mateo, are any of thoee places close to that?
Thanks for the info!

07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Windy City BBQ is in San Mateo, I've eaten there, it's not bad!

07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Here are some reviews by Sunset Magazine (I've not eaten at any of these places):

Big Nate's Barbecue. Former NBA star Nate Thurmond's joint in San
Francisco's South of Market neighborhood is infused with basketball glory.
The suspiciously tall guy taking orders will recommend the mild sauce - a
rich, throaty affair that goes great with succulent brisket, pork ribs, and
chicken. Get it to go, as the four tiny tables don't do justice to this heap
of good 'cue. $$. 1665 Folsom St.; 415/861-4242.

Memphis Minnie's Bar-B-Que Joint
Don't tell our bosses, but Memphis Minnie's may have been the most
extensively researched restaurant in magazine history. Bob Kantor's brisket
and tender St. Louis-style pork ribs are among the highlights, but save room
for the sides, especially the "pot likker" greens and organic stone-ground
corn muffins. $$; closed Mon. 576 Haight St.; 415/864-7675....."

Some people on the USENET BA.FOOD newsgroup were disappointed in the Windy City BBQ in San Mateo. Haven't eaten there either, but several others didn't seem to like it.

People on BA.FOOD have good things to say about Redneck Earl's Cowboy Takeout at 2319 S. El Camino Real, San Mateo (just past 25th Street going towards Hwy 92). They say it's a little hole-in-the-wall place but BBQ is good. They say it passed the Texas sauce on the side test (the meat stands on its own).

07-16-2007, 06:45 PM
I've heard Everret & Jones (sp) in Oakland is great. Have relatives that work in San Mateo and said Windy City is fine, the people that reviewed the place stacked it against places that would be considered Holy Grails of Q' joints. They also spoke highly of Big Nates.