PDA

View Full Version : ROLL CALL Lake Placid Compitition

pigmaker23
06-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Who's going to the Lake Placid Contest ?? also who's doing the buck a bone ??

adventurelarry
06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
I will be there, and plan on doing buck-a-bone. Heading up Friday morning so we can enter the grilling contest as well.

--Larry
RumplePigSkin

YankeeBBQ
06-26-2007, 09:34 AM
The Anchormen
The Bastey Boys
BBQ Bob and The Eh Team
Beef Rubbers
Better BBQ Bureau
Butt Magicians
Cancersuckschicago.com
Centerplate
Dirty Dick and The Legless Wonders
Double C BBQ
Frankie's BBQ
Freestate Smokers
The Frying Pan
Good Smoke BBQ
Hawg Doctors
Hog Heaven BBQ
Howling Hog Barbeque
I QUE
I Smell Smoke
Lost Nation Smoke Company
Lunchmeat
Ma's Que Crew
Mark's Hot BBQ
Muzzlebreak Outfitters
Oompappy
Philly Pigs
Puddledock Porkas
The Purple Turtle
Q Haven
Q Wannabees
Regal BBQ
RumplePigSkin
Skin-N-Bones
Smokin' Hot
Windy Meadow's Barbeque
Yabba Dabba Que

ique
06-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I will be there, and plan on doing buck-a-bone. Heading up Friday morning so we can enter the grilling contest as well.

--Larry
RumplePigSkin

What are the categories of the grilling contest?

adventurelarry
06-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Here is the information on the grilling I received from Dmitry:

The midnight Grilling Bash starts at 6:00 pm - award ceremony at exactly Midnight. you compete in two categories chicken and NY strip steak. Team meeting and meat inspection with Linda & Jerry Mullane at 5:00 pm. Chicken turn in 9:00 pm, NY strip stake 9:45 pm.

--Larry

MAsQue
06-26-2007, 10:03 AM
We'll be arriving Friday. When, exactly, is still up in the air. Dmitri says that he needs everyone who is going to be on-site Friday night to be there before 5:30, so we may end up spending Friday night at the motel and coming down to hang out.

We will be doing the buck a bone thing. Anyone have any idea how many ribs we might go through? I planned on bringing a case.

adventurelarry
06-26-2007, 10:08 AM
We'll be arriving Friday. When, exactly, is still up in the air. Dmitri says that he needs everyone who is going to be on-site Friday night to be there before 5:30, so we may end up spending Friday night at the motel and coming down to hang out.

We will be doing the buck a bone thing. Anyone have any idea how many ribs we might go through? I planned on bringing a case.
If you are looking for a motel, I stay at Schultes when I am up for Luge. It is on the main road to town, is inexpensive, and the people who run it are very nice.
http://www.schulteslodge.com 518-523-3532.
Continental Breakfast is included.

--Larry

MAsQue
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
If you are looking for a motel, I stay at Schultes when I am up for Luge. It is on the main road to town, is inexpensive, and the people who run it are very nice.
http://www.schulteslodge.com 518-523-3532.
Continental Breakfast is included.

--Larry
I already booked us at the Econolodge, since Charlie's family is joining us and we needed a couple of rooms near each other. Lodging in the area seems to be filling up for the holiday weekend. Looks like I could have saved a few bucks, though. I appreciate the advice and I'll make use of it next year.

Thanks!

Q Haven
06-26-2007, 10:51 AM
We're going to Lake Placid. Cannot wait to be there! We had a ton of fun there last year. We're going to leave Thursday night and motel it so we just have a short drive Friday to the site.

Still waiting to hear the details about the midnight grilling bash, whether it is KCBS garnish, turn in box, etc.

adventurelarry
06-26-2007, 11:14 AM
We're going to Lake Placid. Cannot wait to be there! We had a ton of fun there last year. We're going to leave Thursday night and motel it so we just have a short drive Friday to the site.

Still waiting to hear the details about the midnight grilling bash, whether it is KCBS garnish, turn in box, etc.

I also received this from Dmitry in May.

Open (must be edible) garnish. No other meats, or seafood including in the sauce (i.e no lobster sauce or bacon wrap). Worcestershire sauce is ok. Sauce can be smooth or chunky. Cheese and other dairy products are permitted. no skewers, toothpick, foil, etc, permitted. A minimum of 6 pieces of chicken separate and identifiable must be submitted, however, steaks will be cut at the table if submitted whole. Total combine score of chicken and steak will produce the winner. Winner will receive $500, second place $300, third place $200, 4-6 places gift certificates to stores, gasoline stations and local restaurants.

Hope that helps.

--Larry

lunchlady
06-26-2007, 11:25 AM
lunchmeat will be there so bring yer earplugs if you are one who doesn't enjoy 'the call'....... there's no stopping him and I wouldn't want to anyway.

we will be doing the buck-a-bone AND we have a demo on Saturday afternoon as well.

nancee
06-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I will wave from the other side. Earplugs aren't enuff. We are doing a demo and buck a bone also.

What is everyone making for their demoes? Dmitry is counting on us to all get together and figure it out so its interesting and not all the same stuff.
nancee

lunchmeat will be there so bring yer earplugs if you are one who doesn't enjoy 'the call'....... there's no stopping him and I wouldn't want to anyway.

we will be doing the buck-a-bone AND we have a demo on Saturday afternoon as well.

LostNation
06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm going over Thursday morning for that class at the Marriott. Friday I'll help Jim Boggs with the judging class at the beach house. Today I cooked 50 slabs for the buck-a-bone and Saturday I'm demonstrating Kikcoyne chuck roast for pulled beef. The KCBS contest will be easier.Even though it's the closest contest to my house I'm staying over on Sunday

pigmaker23
06-26-2007, 05:02 PM
BAAAAH BA QUE !!!!

its whats for breakfast !!!!!

shout on sully, the anchormen have a new suprise for turn ins this weekend... stay tuned

ique
06-26-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm going over Thursday morning for that class at the Marriott. Friday I'll help Jim Boggs with the judging class at the beach house. Today I cooked 50 slabs for the buck-a-bone and Saturday I'm demonstrating Kikcoyne chuck roast for pulled beef. The KCBS contest will be easier.Even though it's the closest contest to my house I'm staying over on Sunday

I want to see that Kikcoyne chuck roast demo.

YankeeBBQ
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I will wave from the other side. Earplugs aren't enuff. We are doing a demo and buck a bone also.

What is everyone making for their demoes? Dmitry is counting on us to all get together and figure it out so its interesting and not all the same stuff.
nancee

We're doing ribs

MAsQue
06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
...Today I cooked 50 slabs for the buck-a-bone...

Rich,

I've never done one of these buck-a-bone things before, so I'm at a loss as to how much to prepare. Is 50 slabs the average amount that teams go through? Or does Lost Nation's reputation boost your "sales", if sales is the word here?

Muzzlebrake
06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
we are in, its our first contest this year, very excited !

I'm going over Thursday morning for that class at the Marriott. Friday I'll help Jim Boggs with the judging class at the beach house. Today I cooked 50 slabs for the buck-a-bone

what class on thursday?
contest food doesnt have to be prepared on site? I should really start taking better notes...:wink:
everyone has to be at the oval by 5:30 or is that just for vehicles and equipment??

Q Haven
06-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I was thinking of cooking much less than 50 racks. Just have no idea what to expect.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I am coming for the judging class on Friday and would love to stay overnight to see what is going on Saturday.

Is there anyplace to pitch a tent at or near the comp site if you are not a competitor?

LostNation
06-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Rich,

I've never done one of these buck-a-bone things before, so I'm at a loss as to how much to prepare. Is 50 slabs the average amount that teams go through? Or does Lost Nation's reputation boost your "sales", if sales is the word here?

50 is just what fit's easily in my pit, the weather should be good for Saturday. I'm bringing the dump truck so I have plenty of room.

LostNation
06-26-2007, 08:25 PM

what class on thursday?
contest food doesnt have to be prepared on site? I should really start taking better notes...:wink:
everyone has to be at the oval by 5:30 or is that just for vehicles and equipment??

I'm teaching a BBQ 101 class at the Marriott Thursday evening.
You can pre cook the ribs for the buck-a-bone, I chose to pre cook, leaves more chilling time on Saturday. I think the vehicles aren't permitted in between 5:30 and 11:00 while the festival is open.

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Good Luck to all the teams going to Lake Placid. Unfortunately due to end of quarter inventory we will not be there. Next Year we hope. Some NJ friends of ours will be up to judge. Once again, GOOD LUCK to all the Brethren.

The_Kapn
06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Y'all have a great weekend.
And, cook even better!

Lake Placid area is beautiful :lol:

TIM

Muzzlebrake
06-26-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm teaching a BBQ 101 class at the Marriott Thursday evening.
You can pre cook the ribs for the buck-a-bone, I chose to pre cook, leaves more chilling time on Saturday.

I actually knew but forgot about the pre cooking thing, I dont have any time to do it beforehand anyway.

I did not know about your class though, too bad I would have liked to check it out

I was thinking of cooking much less than 50 racks. Just have no idea what to expect.

was thinking more along the lines of 8-10 myself..........whats everyone else besides Mr. "FiftyJustFitsInThePitNice" :lol: doing?

MAsQue
06-26-2007, 10:40 PM
..........whats everyone else besides Mr. "FiftyJustFitsInThePitNice" :lol: doing?

I was thinking in the 8 to 10 range also. Dimitri mentioned that they are anticipating 1000 people on Friday and similar or greater numbers on Saturday. Of course, since I don't have a clue as to what percentage of the crowd will be sampling, that's pretty much just a meaningless BFN.

The Anchorman
06-26-2007, 10:58 PM

what class on thursday?

Are you cooking on that new used Bandera that you got from my Bro Bob?

The Anchorman
06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I am coming for the judging class on Friday and would love to stay overnight to see what is going on Saturday.

Is there anyplace to pitch a tent at or near the comp site if you are not a competitor?

Make sure you come by and say hi to The Anchorman, I have been reading your posts and would like to put a face to the name.

lunchlady
06-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Is there anyplace to pitch a tent at or near the comp site if you are not a competitor?[/quote]

Hey Jim,
If I were you I would e-mail Dmitry. His e-mail addy is on the ILBBQ website. I don't know about staying onsite but there are a few campgrounds around.
Great to meet you in NH, and I hope you make it to LP.

BTW... we are demo-ing tri-tip and/or chicken wings.

We will cook as many ribs as we can comfortably bring with us. I am hoping to do a case. Gary may not feel the same way though. heheh.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Make sure you come by and say hi to The Anchorman, I have been reading your posts and would like to put a face to the name.

Thanks Ray, I will make a point of it. :mrgreen:

Hey Jim,
If I were you I would e-mail Dmitry. His e-mail addy is on the ILBBQ website. I don't know about staying onsite but there are a few campgrounds around.
Great to meet you in NH, and I hope you make it to LP.

I am definitely gonna be at Lake Placid. I did a google search and found a few campgrounds nearby -- thanks for the suggestion about emailing Dmitry, he may know which ones are nice. Will be nice to see you again.

Lakeside Smoker
06-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Good luck to everyone this weekend in LP. I wish we were going.
Travel safe.

Mike

oompappy
06-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Lookin' forward to it!!!
See you all there...... 8-)

Muzzlebrake
06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Are you cooking on that new used Bandera that you got from my Bro Bob?

complete with cork in door and everything!

CTSmokehouse
06-27-2007, 11:11 PM
complete with cork in door and everything!

Just to let you know... Ray wanted me to unload my old Bandera at Lime Rock and buy his WSM. Well we got 3rd in Brisket and 4th in Beef Ribs on the Bandera and second in Chicken on our current WSM. Don't sell the Bandera short!! Good luck to you!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

P.S. Cork in the door?

adventurelarry
06-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I am going to be off-line and getting ready to head to Lake Placid in the morning. I am looking forward to meeting those of you who will be there. Have safe travels.

--Larry

Lakeside Smoker
06-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Any word on the midnight grilling last night?

Lakeside Smoker
06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Any word on the midnight grilling last night?

1 Lunchmeat
2 Cancersuckschicago.com
3 Philly Pigs
4 The Anchorman
5 Q Haven

Lakeside Smoker
07-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Top five

1 The Purple Turtle
2 I Smell Smoke!!!
3 Freestate Smokers
4 Q Haven
5 I Que

MilitantSquatter
07-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Top five

1 The Purple Turtle
2 I Smell Smoke!!!
3 Freestate Smokers
4 Q Haven
5 I Que

Great job !! Congrats to all....

The_Kapn
07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Top five

1 The Purple Turtle
2 I Smell Smoke!!!
3 Freestate Smokers
4 Q Haven
5 I Que

OK--four out of five for the Brethren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Said it before----ya need to get "Freestate" and the other "couple of teams up there who are not Brethren teams" to come on-board! :lol:

Great job Nancy and everyone!!
Proud of you!

TIM

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Way to go !!! Congratulations to all.

CTSmokehouse
07-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Way to go Brethren!!! Congrats to all!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

tonto1117
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Congratulations to all !!!!!

Q Haven
07-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Here are some more detailed results....what a fun contest, despite some rain Saturday night and cold weather Sunday (high of 57 degrees!). Great Brethren showing....outstanding site, organizers really know how to run an event and treat people right.

Overall (36 teams)
1. Purple Turtle Catering Co
2. I Smell Smoke!!!
3. Freestate Smokers
4. Q Haven
5. iQue
6. Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders
7. Skin n Bones
8. Beef Rubbers
9. The Anchormen
10. Philly Pigs

Chicken
1. Freestate Smokers
2. I Smell Smoke!!!
3. Beef Rubbers
4. Qwannabees
5. Purple Turtle Catering Co.
6. Ma's Que Crew
7. Oompappy
8. Philly Pigs
9. Windy Meadows BBQ
10. Good Smoke BBQ

Pork Ribs
1. The Bastey Boys
2. Regal BBQ
3. The Anchormen
4. Purple Turtle Catering Co
5. Lunchmeat
6. Skin-n-Bones
7. Freestate Smokers
8. Ma's Que Crew
9. Q Haven
10. Yabba Dabba Que

Pork Shoulder
1. I Smell Smoke!!!
2. Philly Pigs
3. Skin-n-Bones
4. Yabba Dabba Que
5. Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders
6. Jack's Down Home BBQ
7. iQue
8. Windy Meadows BBQ
9. Purple Turtle Catering Co
10. The Frying Pan
11. Q Haven :-)

Brisket
1. Purple Turtle Catering Co
2. BBQ Bob and the "EH" Team
3. Beef Rubbers
4. Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders
5. Q Haven
6. The Bastey Boys
7. iQue
8. Lost Nation Smoke Company
9. The Anchormen
10. Better BBQ Bureau

Saturday, People's Choice "Buck a Bone" rib contest

1. Lost Nation Smoke Company
2. I Smell Smoke!!!
3. Q Haven
4. Beef Rubbers
5. The Bastey Boys

Friday, Midnight Grilling Bash (25 teams)

Overall (25 teams)
1. Lunchmeat
2. CancerSucksChicago.com
3. Philly Pigs
4. The Anchormen
5. Q Haven
6. I Smell Smoke!
7. Oompappy
8. Purple Turtle Catering Co
9. BBQ Bob and the EH Team
10. Good Smoke BBQ

Chicken
1. Oompappy
2. Q Haven
3. Philly Pigs
4. Yabba Dabba Que
5. The Anchormen
6. CancerSucksChicago.com
7. BBQ Bob and the EH Team
8. Lunchmeat
9. Good Smoke BBQ
10. Lost Nation Smoke Company

Strip Steak
1. Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders
2. Frankie's BBQ
3. Lunchmeat
4. I Smell Smoke!!!
5. CancerSucksChicago.com
6. Purple Turtle Catering Co
7. Philly Pigs
8. The Anchormen
9. The Bastey Boys
10. Muzzlebrake Outfitters
11. Q Haven

The Anchorman
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Lots of Fun, Great Contest!

Funny to see the Moon out at that time of the Satuday Morning though, What do you think Ted?

Ray

Q Haven
07-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I won't touch that one with a ten foot pole (no pun intended!)

adventurelarry
07-02-2007, 02:09 PM
What a great time I had in Lake Placid, my first full KCBS contest. I met a lot of outstanding people, learned a lot about BBQ, and what does not score well in presentation. I also learned that I can function on 6 hours sleep over 3 days.

Thanks to everyone that gave advice, and tips.

--Larry

Lakeside Smoker
07-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Congrats to all who walked.
After talking to everyone about this comp. Lakeside Smokers will be there next year. I have only heard great things about this comp.

Mike

Q Haven
07-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Some pictures from the weekend are posted here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/tedlorson/LakePlacid2007

Sawdustguy
07-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Congratulayions to all. Don't be surprised if you see some Polocks up there next year. I sounds like a great contest.

pigmaker23
07-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Ted, Great Pictures of the weekend ! you captured the flavor of it all

Q Haven
07-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks Eric, was fun getting to know you better and hanging around with the rest of the Anchormen. Looking forward to seeing you at Harpoon.

ique
07-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Great contest. Had a blast. I scored 13th in chicken second weekend in a row.

MilitantSquatter
07-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Great contest. Had a blast. I scored 13th in chicken second weekend in a row.

Uh oh... you've got the Sledneck chicken curse !!

I'm glad to hear how much everyone enjoyed this contest.. I'll definitely put this contest on my list for next year !!!

Muzzlebrake
07-02-2007, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=tedlor70;420892] Great Brethren showing....outstanding site, organizers really know how to run an event and treat people right[QUOTE]

I agree with 2 outta 3 of those, this was our first of the year and was a whole lot of fun seeing people again.

Being our 2nd contest ever, was even better meeting a bunch of new people with the exception of a few................actually met the first person I thought was kind of a dick, but met some more new people that were way cool by far.

While I love Lake Placid, I didnt think the site was laid out all that well......but then as bad as the judges thought we were, maybe we deserved to be sruck in the middle :icon_pissed

Thank you Ted for not posting everyone's results!

:icon_cool

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
07-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Congratulations to all of the teams who got call ups. Some of our Jersey friends were judging and loved the event. Lo' -N- Slo' will put this on the list for next year. ROADTRIP.......