PDA

View Full Version : Kick the tires, and light the Fires! Aug 04/2007

Pages : [1] 2

Bentley
06-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I just got this hair brained ider.

OK now that Thousand Oaks and Silent Valley are off the calendar here in SoCal, I am going to start Jonesing for a competition way before Clovis!

We did a BackYard event in March down here in SoCal. It was a very fun time! Who is up for one between now and September 23?

We thought we might have one at the same time as the Jack, October 28th and call it the "Hack Daniels" but there is no way I can wait that long! May still do that one down here in SoCal in October.

Calling all Brethern, but mostly SoCal...Would probably happen in early August...Who is game to "Kick the tires and light the Fires" with me? http://pelletheads.com/Smileys/default/cool.gif
http://pelletheads.com/Themes/classic/images/icons/modify_inline.gif

Bentley
06-27-2007, 06:15 PM
OK Kick the Tires & Light the Fires is a Go! We are on for the 4th of August! It will be at CBBQA member and Brethern Chris R's house in Garden Grove. The way we did this before was pretty simple. There is NO entry fee! KCBS type rules will be used. We will decide on final meats in a very short time, but right now we are looking at Chicken, Pork Ribs, Tri-Tip and a mystery meat! We usually arive at Chris's between 7-8am, will have cooks meeting about 8:30-9am, and away we go. Will try chicken at 12 noon turn-in, tri-tip at 12:30, ribs at 1:00 and mystery meat at 1:30. Kelly will be Reping and judging. Will have awards as soon as Kelly has them entered 3-4 Pm and then we are out! If you would like to particapite as either a team or a judge, or just come and hang out, post here or send me an email, lwnna@yahoo.com.

Bigmista
06-27-2007, 06:22 PM
You know Four Q will be there!!

Thawley
06-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Any chance someone could give a judging talk/class on the same day. Seems like a perfect oportunity since its kind of a fun-run...

Bigmista
06-27-2007, 06:56 PM
They give new judges a quick and dirty class.

Bentley
06-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Any chance someone could give a judging talk/class on the same day. Seems like a perfect oportunity since its kind of a fun-run...

Like Mista said, Kelly M. who will be doing the reping, or Joe M who is a Master CBJ, will give a 30 mint. rap on what to look for, about the same thing I got when I did my CBJ class...just kidding, I think my class was 45 mints!

Professor Salt
06-27-2007, 09:03 PM
You know Four Q will be there!!

I hate to break up the team, BUT... if things go well and escrow goes through, we might be moving into our new home that weekend.

Those of you who missed the last event at the Rocke house, ought really go this time. Good times, good folks!

C Rocke
06-27-2007, 09:36 PM
OK Kick the Tires & Light the Fires is a Go! We are on for the 4th of August! It will be at CBBQA member and Brethern Chris R's house in Garden Grove. The way we did this before was pretty simple. There is NO entry fee! KCBS type rules will be used. We will decide on final meats in a very short time, but right now we are looking at Chicken, Pork Ribs, Tri-Tip and a mystery meat! We usually arive at Chris's between 7-8am, will have cooks meeting about 8:30-9am, and away we go. Will try chicken at 12 noon turn-in, tri-tip at 12:30, ribs at 1:00 and mystery meat at 1:30. Kelly will be Reping and judging. Will have awards as soon as Kelly has them entered 3-4 Pm and then we are out! If you would like to particapite as either a team or a judge, or just come and hang out, post here or send me an email, lwnna@yahoo.com.

Again I am in Bentley's debt - Thanks for the announcement Bent! Yes, it's true - Second in the Series of Backyard at the Rocke, "Kick the Tires and Light the Fires" is a go, and we're looking forward to seeing everyone! All you OC, LA, SD and Valley types are welcome to join us. I am finalizing some extended space for this event, so more teams = more fun. More details as they become available, and up course updates from our promoter and spokesman - Bentley!!!

Bigmista
07-09-2007, 12:52 PM
This event will be happening on August 4th and we are still looking for teams in So Cal to participate. If you have competed before or are looking to get your feet wet, this is a great time to jump in.

The contest is free and will be help at C Rocke's house in Garden Grove, CA. Prizes will be pies, brownies, cookies and maybe a cake prepared by Bentley's sister and mother (Good Stuff!).

We will have some KCBS Master judges there so if you don't want to cook, you can judge. The will have a mini-class on judging. Again, free!

We had a ball last time and we are looking forward to a bigger and better event this time! We will be in a cul-de-sac so if you cook on a trailered smoker, you are welcome. If you cook on WSM's or UDS's, you are welcome.

Our four categories will be Chicken, ribs, tri-tip and mystery meat! Thsi will be a one day contest and we will have our cook's meeting at 8:30am, I believe.

If you have questions, you can pm me, Bentley or C Rocke, but the best place to get more details is the California BBQ Association Forum. http://www.cbbqa.org/fourm and look under the CBBQA events section.

Bentley
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Ok guys we are a big GO! A big thanks to Brother Chris and family for opening up their home for this event.

Teams so far
Blast Off
Notley Q
Smell my Butts
Rancho Rocke
4Q
Funtime BBQ
Burnt By The Best

We would like to see a few more, we had 7 last time, hope to have 10-12 this time! Who else is in? I know Big Brother Smoke said he might try and make it...anyother SoCA brothers in? There is no entry fee...just an XXX-whippin by me in store for you! Cost of meat and a little gas might get you a World famous Apple pie for a 1st made by my Mom!

It is a great oppertunity for new teams to get there feet wet in a KCBS style cook. Or for you experienced teams a chance to try some expermienting on CBJ's without have to pay an entry fee to do so!:eusa_clap

We have 4 CBJ's signed up to...will need some more(cbj or not)...so if you don't have the balls to cook maybe you can judge?

C Rocke
07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Single Fin is in - Got a PM from him and he will be cooking! Add him to the list.

Single Fin
Blast Off
Notley Q
Smell my Butts
Rancho Rocke
4Q
Funtime BBQ
Burnt By The Best

I have clearance from quite a few neighbors, so we do have more room this time. 12 teams is a great number, and few more might not hurt! The pool will be open in case anyone needs to cool off, and we're looking forward to hosting the group again. Get to Bentley, Big Mista, or me for any details or to let us know you're coming to cook!

Bigmista
07-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Sweet!

Where are those other So Cal Q'ers?

Norcoredneck
Leanza
grillfella
grillman40
tommykendall
coachop94
soultruth
icemn62

I'm a-callin you out! Will you come participate as a competitor or a judge?

C Rocke
07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Thom and Kyle are "penciled" in now as well.

Single Fin Smoker
07-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Fin is in.....lookin to stick my foot up Bentlys arse...

Wheres my HB brothers?

Bentley
07-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Sweet!...Bring it, don't sing it!

Single Fin Smoker
07-09-2007, 10:46 PM
What times it start? Do I have time to surf in the morning? Gonna use my Mr. Meat smoker with no mods-ECB to whup Bently and his dueling traygers.

Bentley
07-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Not unless you are surfing at daybreak. We usually get to Chris's between 7-8 am. Have cooks meeting at 8:30 am and start cookin by 9!

Bigmista
07-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Bentley, what are the turn in times going to be this time?

Bentley
07-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Bentley, what are the turn in times going to be this time?

Since we will have a fairly small crowd, I was thinking 1, 1:30, 2, 2:30 gives the chicken people abot 4 hours from 9-1. I am up to do a regular KCBS timeline if teams want?

Single Fin Smoker
07-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I just pm'd Country HB, he might be down with representin HB with me!

Countryhb
07-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Might be nothing...I'm in like Flynn!! I've got a whole heap of learnin' to do before then.

C Rocke
07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I just pm'd Country HB, he might be down with representin HB with me!

Atta boy! No time to get wet Saturday morning - Need to be here bright and early for the activities!

Countryhb
07-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Phhhtt...I can still surf at 5:30 and be to GG by 7. I don't have to start cooking until 7:30?? That's like sleeping in for 4 hours!!

Bigmista
07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Two HB guys jumping in with both feet! I like it!

Single Fin Smoker
07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Sleep????? Who the fark said anything about sleep? After a nite of heavy drinking untill say 3 or so, I'll have my Explorer loaded up the nite before, be in the water by 5:30, out at 7, head straigt to Rockes with no problems...

Sleep is a relative term in my life. We just need to find a way to get Country's big double barrel shot gun smoker up to GG.

Bigmista
07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I would have thought he was bringing the Offset.

Bigmista
07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Country...What team name are you going to use?

Bentley
07-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Fin and Country, I PM you, need to know what team names you will be cooking under?

Bentley
07-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Chris...this is growing even faster than I expected, what can we hold team wise at the house? Need to cut it off if we are getting to close!

OK...This is starting to shape up really well! Two more teams, both BBQ Breathern, Single Fin Smoker and CountryHB. 9 confrimed, 2 on the pencil.

Teams so far:
Confrimed

Blast Off BBQ
Burnt By The Best
CountryHB
4 Q
Funtime BBQ
Notley Q
Rancho Rocke
Single Fin
Smell My Butts

Pencil In

Big Brother Smoke
Thom & Kyle Bubba Q

If we get over 10 teams this will be an Automatic qualifer for the "Hack Daniels" invitational in October(location to be announced)...I am as giddy as a school girl! http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Countryhb
07-10-2007, 05:10 PM
We just need to find a way to get Country's big double barrel shot gun smoker up to GG.

I've got a big-arse truck, but I might need a crane to actually load it. Maybe if I take the fire brick out it'll help...

Countryhb
07-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Country...What team name are you going to use?

I'm working on this as we speak. I promise y'all will know as soon as I do!!

C Rocke
07-10-2007, 05:24 PM
All - Don't be shy, jump in on this event - We'd be glad to see you. Will have to cut it off somewhere, but the more the merrier! Garden Grove should be EZ for all you LA, OC, and SDers. The lineup includes:

Teams Confirmed

Blast Off BBQ
Burnt By The Best
CountryHB
4 Q
Funtime BBQ
Notley Q
Rancho Rocke
Single Fin
Smell My Butts

Pencil In

Big Brother Smoke
Thom & Kyle Bubba Q

Bigmista
07-11-2007, 11:15 AM
This contest is really shaping up! I'm getting excited!

Single Fin Smoker
07-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Neil your gonna have to assist us rookies. Especially since you want us to whup Bently...

Bentley
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Neil your gonna have to assist us rookies. Especially since you want us to whup Bently...

As Aerosmith would sing..."Dream On!"

Bigmista
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm always willing to help, but don't poke the tiger. Bentley won last time. It's better to sneak up on him...

Countryhb
07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey, if I use a team name for this, am I going to be locked to it forever? If not, I think I've got one...

Bentley
07-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey, if I use a team name for this, am I going to be locked to it forever? If not, I think I've got one...

You can change your team name anytime you want.

Countryhb
07-12-2007, 12:31 AM
So Big Country will be operating under the team name of...

drumroll please

Rollin' Smoke

Single Fin Smoker
07-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Will "Rollin Smoke" be using the cooking vessel in the Country HB avatar?

BowtieBill
07-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Sorry for the bad news Country,
But Rollin' Smoke is already being used. That is a team from up in Watsonville, Ca.

Countryhb
07-12-2007, 10:31 AM
That's Crap!! WTF am I going to do now?!

WalterSC
07-12-2007, 10:50 AM
I tell ya if Niki and I can ever get the money to move us both back to the Sacramento area, its nice to know I can and will get into competing on the West Coast . Everything now comes down to the right time and the money at this point, oh yea and me being able to find work out there as well. I told her if we went back I was buying a Lang Model 84 Deluxe to bring with me. LOL

Thawley
07-12-2007, 11:01 AM
So Big Country will be operating under the team name of...

drumroll please

Rollin' Smoke

Nice. I'm bored with most of the BBQ team names. The word play is more fun.

My daughter and I are in Indian Princesses together. Some of the dad's have pretty good indian names:

Talkin' Bull
Breaking Wind
Running Tab

Countryhb
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Apparently "Rollin Smoke" won't be me!! I want to use the double barrell, but I'm hitting up my buddies trying to find a small trailer that I could load it on. It's on wheels, so it'll roll up on a trailer. I don't know that I can actually lift it to get it in my truck (damn that 8" lift!).

Will "Rollin Smoke" be using the cooking vessel in the Country HB avatar?

Single Fin Smoker
07-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Dude, how heavy can that thing be? I'll help you lift it!

Countryhb
07-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Well, let's start off by saying there's 17 fire bricks in it. I suppose I could take them out, but then what would I have to complain about?

Countryhb
07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Oh, team name attempt #2...

Smoke You Out BBQ

Bigmista
07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Doesn't sound familiar to me. Folks?

Bentley
07-12-2007, 01:17 PM
No hits under ray's site at BBQ forum.

Bigmista
07-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Smoke you out BBQ is in the list. What name is Single Fin gonna use?

HB-BBQ
07-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, let's start off by saying there's 17 fire bricks in it. I suppose I could take them out, but then what would I have to complain about?Hey Country, I'll bet we can get the D/B in the truck no problem even if we had to roll it down to the end of the alley to get the tailgate down low, then we could just roll her in. Also Ben and I each have single motorycycle ramps we could use as well. I am still trying to find out if I can make this, should know by tonight. I dont want to miss this, its a great chance to learn the ropes.

ps: Awesome team name :mrgreen:

Countryhb
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Cool. I'm locked on taking that Farker, no matter what lengths I have to go to!

That settles it...Smoke You Out is it!!

Single Fin Smoker
07-12-2007, 02:41 PM
How bout "..10 over smokers.."?

And....

I'd be glad to help you guys get that into your 8 ft lifted feaux monster truck.

Single Fin Smoker
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Oh sorry Mista!

I'm gonna be Single Fin Smoker, although lately I've been riding my 3 fin most of the time.

Countryhb
07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Oh sorry Mista!

I'm gonna be Single Fin Smoker, .

Wow, how original! :grin:

Bigmista
07-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I just know he was gonna be Meatwad smoker.

Bigmista
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
So HBBBQ, when do we get invited dow to HB to play with the Backwoods?:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bentley
07-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Most of these people are CBBQA and jumped right in, if you wanted to judge sorry you did not act sooner...OK...We are good to go with judges right now.

The Confrimed judges for the Kick the Tires and Light the Fires are:
Linda Burke
Kelly MacIntosh (2nd Backard)
Ann Hoeppner
Dan Drogichen
Steve Madaule
Vince Madaule
Janelle Garchie (2nd Backyard)
Peter Garchie (2nd Backyard)
Dave Malone( 2nd Backyard)
Jim Kostelecky

We are at 9 confrimed teams so far, I see we are only taking 12 so if we get to the 12 limit we will need more judges. If you would like to be a reserve or an alternate, please post here or send me a private email. We will know more as we get closer.

Countryhb
07-13-2007, 12:51 AM
So HBBBQ, when do we get invited dow to HB to play with the Backwoods?:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rob, are we gonna have to consider hosting a little get together? :idea:

Single Fin Smoker
07-13-2007, 03:32 AM
YEAAAHHHH......I'll bring the beer. And somethin.....

20th and Olive?

Countryhb
07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
19th and Olive. Kinda sucks becuase were both in apartments, but both have cool little courtyards to entertain.

Bigmista
07-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Cool! Something to do after the competition!!

Single Fin Smoker
07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Right on!!

When Mista comes to town, people behave....

Bigmista
07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Right on!!

When Mista comes to town, people behave....

Yes. They behave badly.

HB-BBQ
07-13-2007, 02:46 PM
I can see I am gonna get along with you guys real well :twisted:

As far as the BWS is concerned Mista, she aint pretty but will do the job. It was damaged during shipping and after all was said and done with fedex, BWS told me to keep her and do what I want with it. The internal box got misaligned and the front door got twisted but she still works ok. I really need to get my BWS Party ordered so I can do some serious cooking. I should get the wife's approval before I do so but an old friend told me "It's easier to apologize after the fact" :lol:, good words to live by after you have been married for a while...The patio is a neat smoker but is way too small in general. It only holds two racks cut in half and a max 5lb pork butt. I came from cooking on a WSM but I recently sold it to a buddy who was just getting in to Q.

Regarding this so called after party are you guys thinking of cooking again on the same day as the comp, just partying, or doing it maybe later in August?

Countryhb
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
I say later in August. I'm bolting from the comp and heading to the OC Fair for the Summer Haze Tour...Slightly Stoopid, G. Love and Special Sauce, and Ozomatli. I think that Apple Pie will taste damn good after that show!!

C Rocke
07-13-2007, 05:03 PM
AAaaaah, the smell of recycled beer, goat droppings, carnival workers, and fried pineapple upside down cake on a stick. Good 'ol OC Fair!

Countryhb
07-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Oh, don't hate Rocke! You know you've had the opening day of the fair on you calendar for months!!

On a serious note...does anyone have a good suggestion as to how to remove a very hot BBQ after the competition. I've been running this through my head and can't figure a good answer.

Bigmista
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Definitely later in August for the party.

Mmmm... Beer-battered Fried Pineapple Goat Droppings on a stick!

C Rocke
07-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Oh, don't hate Rocke! You know you've had the opening day of the fair on you calendar for months!!

On a serious note...does anyone have a good suggestion as to how to remove a very hot BBQ after the competition. I've been running this through my head and can't figure a good answer.

Maybe Kevin knows what to do with a hot piece of ash...

Single Fin Smoker
07-14-2007, 01:23 AM
A hot piece is no problem. Candle wax on the nipples has kept me married the 9 years...

Countryhb
07-14-2007, 03:29 AM
That's just crossing the line right there! Way too much info bro...

Bigmista
07-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Ummm...

It's probably best not to use candles at the competition.

BOT.

Single Fin Smoker
07-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Ya, I gets myself way off the track sometimes.......

Question: When we show up at the Rocke do we light our smokers right away, so food can go on right after the meeting/inspection?

Also, does somebody have a flame thrower that can help get me started? If not I got the lighter fluid........

Bigmista
07-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Ever heard of a chimney?

I'm sure C Rocke has one.

Single Fin Smoker
07-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Ey I got on of dim!

Hey, I'm practicin tomorrow on Mr. Meat smoker. Gonna try some different woods maybe with a mix of .....other woods.

Got me a cheapy 5 dollar slab of baby backs and ribs n thighs from Staters after surfing this mornin.

Bentley
07-15-2007, 11:06 AM
We have 9 teams, 10 if Thom and Kyle decide to cook! We have 8 Judges, 7 of whom are CBJ's. We are going to need 12 according to our Backyard Rep. I am waiting to hear from Brother Rocke as to wheather I am to reserve any of those spots for his neighobers. We are gonna need 2-3 more. Big Brother Smoke, Grillman40, Thawley...anyone else, are any of you up to come down and Judge?

Bigmista
07-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Judges?!?!? We don't need no stinking Judges!

Seriously, what about leanza? Grillfella? Hello? Is dis ting on?

C Rocke
07-15-2007, 11:32 PM
I can secure 1 judge locally as needed, maybe 2. Bentley, I'll call you tomorrow AM.

Have a chimney and a weed burner if needed Country.

Let's get to 10 teams!!!

Single Fin Smoker
07-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Um, can somebody define the "...Anything But.." catagory?

I got some ideas about somethin I wanna make, but not sure if its legal by the rule thingys...

Bentley
07-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Um, can somebody define the "...Anything But.." catagory?

I got some ideas about somethin I wanna make, but not sure if its legal by the rule thingys...

Send me a PM and I will let you know...sure! Just kidding.

Anything Butt, is just that. It can be Anything besides, chicken, pork ribs, or tri-tip. So, if you want to cook beef ribs, OK, brisket, OK, smoked deviled eggs, OK...All we ask is that it be made on site, it maybe something that does not need to be cooked, so we cant ask everyone to cook it on site, but we would like to see it made on site. It can be presented any way you like. Hope that helps!

Bigmista
07-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Bentley,

Just to verify, prep work can begin on Friday night, right? No cooking but you can marinade, brine or season ahead of time, correct?

Single Fin Smoker
07-16-2007, 12:40 PM
i pm'd Bentley

Countryhb
07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
i pm'd Bentley

Did Bentley enjoy it :lol: :shock:

Bentley
07-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Bentley,

Just to verify, prep work can begin on Friday night, right? No cooking but you can marinade, brine or season ahead of time, correct?

Teams, we treat the BackYard like it is a two day event in regards to meat prep. We trust everyone is in this for the fun and would not cheat. So like a regular KCBS contest, we assume you have checked in by 12 noon and your meat has been inspected. So after 12 noon on Friday, you may treat your meat just like you were at a KCBS competition.
Great question Neil, everyone else, keep em coming!

leanza
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
I'll judge. I have no expeience but what a great way to learn. Let me know what you want me to do.

Grillfella said he has a catering gig that day.

Bentley
07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
I'll judge. I have no expeience but what a great way to learn. Let me know what you want me to do.

Grillfella said he has a catering gig that day.

You are in my Brother(man I hope you are not a sister, I have never met you!)! I am counting on a frim commitment! If you can't do it please let me know before 7-28-07! We start at 7am, you are welcome to come anytime after that and be part of the festivities. Definitly need you there by 12:30 pm sharp. Our BackYard rep. will be doing a very mini CBJ class before judging to let non-CBJ's know a little what to look for!

Will send you the address just before the event, it will be in Garden Grove, by the 22 and 405!

leanza
07-16-2007, 08:51 PM
You are in my Brother(man I hope you are not a sister, I have never met you!)! I am counting on a frim commitment!

Yes indead, I am your Brother. I plan on being there. I cant wait to finally meet the Brethern. I been cooking in my backyard for sometime now, but now I get to see how likeminded friends do it. I'll be there to learn. I want to see what everyones cooking on, how their cooking on it and how their doing it as a team. Down the road I'll be wanting to "mix it up" but this time I cant wait to watch and learn, eat and judge.

Single Fin Smoker
07-17-2007, 10:09 AM
I plan on kickin anything but catagory.

HB-BBQ
07-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Well I finally got my plans straightened out and I will be able to attend this fine event. I will be helping out team "Smoke You Out BBQ" along with CountryHB.

Countryhb
07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Whoomp, there it is! I have been blessed to have Rob volunteer to help me stumble through this, our FIRST organized BBQ. Hell, even if we lose all catagories, I bet we'll still outweigh all other teams!!

HB-BBQ
07-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Whoomp, there it is! I have been blessed to have Rob volunteer to help me stumble through this, our FIRST organized BBQ. Hell, even if we lose all catagories, I bet we'll still outweigh all other teams!!
As long as we get to cook and eat it is all good. This will be a great learning experience and if we win something all the better. Now to convince the wife to buy a new BWS Party for my B-day.....

Single Fin Smoker
07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Alright! Team Smoke you out BBQ has 2 members! I only have one member.

Could get interesting when the c-lites start flowin....

C Rocke
07-20-2007, 09:29 AM
So Cal Brethren - Still room for a couple of teams for Aug. 4th. Chicken, ribs, tri-tip and anything butt - No entry fee, and a lot of fun. Judges are in place as well.

Look forward to seeing everyone!

Chris

Bigmista
07-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I'll be there! Who else is gonna pony up?

Single Fin Smoker
07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Is big bro competing against us?.......Please say no....

Bentley
07-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I think I posted this stuff already, but will do so again a couple of times as we get closer.

Right! We have 9 teams, 3 more spots are avaiable. We have all 12 judges we need, 9 CBJ's, 1 Master CBJ and two non-CBJ. We also have 2 table Captians, one of which is our own Breathern Leanza! Should be a good oppertunity for teams that have not competed to see what real CBJ's look for(most of thes CBJ's are in double digits for judged contests) in a contest. For the more experienced teams, you should be ble to expermint with sauces and cooking styles without blowing an entry fee!

2 or 3 house keeping things.

1. Garnish is not required, if you want to use it great! We are going to try and mimick a KCBS style competition, but I just can't see DQing someone if they make a mistake!

2. Anything butt. To try and make this as clear as possible. This can be anything but, chicken, pork ribs, or tri-tip. Let me try and make it even clearer. Desserts, deviled eggs, banga chewbacka...anything! It DOES NOT have to be cooked on site! We do not want any store bought items please. If you have to make it at home and bring it fine, just don't go buy something from the store, like BigMista would!

3. Like a KCBS event, after your meat has been inspected, you are free to do with it what ever you like staying within KCBS guidelines. So we are going to use Friday at 12 noon as a referencepoint. We will assume all teams meat have been inspected at 12 noon, and therefore you may start, triming, marinading, injecting, messaging, rubbing...to your hearts content!

Any other question, PM me!

big brother smoke
07-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Is big bro competing against us?.......Please say no....

I am just going to serve as a spectator! I got a gig the next day and do not want to haul stuff Saturday and turn around and be tired the next day.
Trying to not run myself ragged!

Bentley
07-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Looks like Brother Thom and his son Kyle are in, that makes 10! We have room for two more? Any takers!

Single Fin Smoker
07-24-2007, 01:57 AM
That dude with the slick pimp hat from the dessert? Now I'm really gonna get my ass stomped.

Hey, whats everybody cooking on? I can't decide if I'm gonna use "Mr. Meat Smoker" (ecb) and or the Weber kettle, OR drag that heavy ass Barbi Chef thats only been used one time now.

Hmmmm, I wanna compete in all catagories but not yet sure if I have enough space with only one cooking vessel.

Countryhb
07-24-2007, 11:22 AM
With all the crying and whining, I think you better bring the whole farking kitchen! :-D

That dude with the slick pimp hat from the dessert? Now I'm really gonna get my ass stomped.

Hey, whats everybody cooking on? I can't decide if I'm gonna use "Mr. Meat Smoker" (ecb) and or the Weber kettle, OR drag that heavy ass Barbi Chef thats only been used one time now.

Hmmmm, I wanna compete in all catagories but not yet sure if I have enough space with only one cooking vessel.

Single Fin Smoker
07-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Maybe thats where I'll end up cooking that day.

Bigmista
07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Just get your ass out there and cook something!

Bentley
07-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Thom is whimping out, something about root canal..woos! :-P We have room for 3 more, I am sure at this point we aint gonna get anymore, but Saturday 7-28-07 is the deadline! Will see you all in a week!

HB-BBQ
07-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Hmm might have to throw the new BWS in the truck if we are short on teams although I told Country I'd be helping him out.

Single Fin Smoker
07-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Bring it anyways. You guys got a big truck right? I'm most likely bringin my kettle(ribs) and "Mr. Meat Smoker"(Chicken & Tri-tip).

Bigmista
07-27-2007, 01:23 PM
This is taking too long! I'm ready to cook!!

Countryhb
07-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Hmm might have to throw the new BWS in the truck if we are short on teams although I told Country I'd be helping him out.

Dude, bring it and cook. I have two other buddies who have also volunteered but I told them no. I can get another drinking partner, I mean pit bitch.

HB-BBQ
07-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Dude, bring it and cook. I have two other buddies who have also volunteered but I told them no. I can get another drinking partner, I mean pit bitch.

Well then that settles it, there are gonna be three teams from Huntington cooking. Lets add one more team to the list "HB BBQ".

ps: I didnt want to leave ya hanging Country as I am a man of my word. Although if that was gonna be my title for the event I would have had to reconsider as I aint nobody's biaaatch :lol:

Bigmista
07-27-2007, 03:57 PM
That should put us back at 10 teams! Woo-Hoo!!

Countryhb
07-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Well then that settles it, there are gonna be three teams from Huntington cooking. Lets add one more team to the list "HB BBQ".

ps: I didnt want to leave ya hanging Country as I am a man of my word. Although if that was gonna be my title for the event I would have had to reconsider as I aint nobody's biaaatch :lol:

I think you're gonna be Bubbles' biaaatch!! :eek: :icon_sick

Thanks for being honorable!

HB-BBQ
07-27-2007, 05:16 PM
I think you're gonna be Bubbles' biaaatch!! :eek: :icon_sick

:eek: :eek: Now that is just farkin wrong :lol:

Single Fin Smoker
07-27-2007, 06:12 PM
We could have our own division- "HB Rookies"

HB-BBQ
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
We could have our own division- "HB Rookies"
I definitely fit that description

Bigmista
07-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Don't try to separate yourselves! Stand up and take your whoopin like men! :lol:

big brother smoke
07-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Chit talkin more.......

Bigmista
07-27-2007, 07:53 PM
It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it!

Bentley
07-27-2007, 10:20 PM
We have a 10th, and I believe final team, HB-BBQ. Welcome, Dang glad to have you!

So our teams look like this:
Blast Off BBQ
Burnt By The Best
Smoke You Out BBQ
Four Q
Funtime BBQ
HB-BBQ
Notley Q
Rancho Rocke
Single Fin Smoker
Smell My Butts

Along with our esteemed panel of judges we are going to have a guest!

Chris Rocke, our illustrious host has had contact with Frank Mickadeit a reporter with the OC Register. He had approched Chis asking if he could come and join us, and could he judge. Chris told him the judging was full, but has ask him to judge a "Reporter's Choice" entry. He has a background in Santa Maria style BBQ, and recently wrote a column in the Register about his search for red oak to cook with. He will do a little write up about the BackYard experience in the Registier! Chris will provide mats for Frank and containers for each team for this turn in. What Chris thought he would have Frank do is just judge each of the 4 turn-ins and pick just one of each catagory as the best.

Teams, I had assumed that all teams would be turning in an "Anything Butt". But since it does not count towards the GC and RGC, it is not mandatory! What I will say is Mr. Mickadeit will be judging all 4 catagories in his quest to find the "Reporters Choice" awards. So if you want a shot at fame, turning in that "Anything Butt", might get you that 15 minutes of fame you are seeking! I will need the teams to have the regular turn-in boxes with at least 6 pieces or portions, it can be more. But we would ask you to have 1 extra piece of chicken, rib, tri-tip and anything butt if you so chose, for Frank to judge. As stated above, Frank will chose 1 of each of those catagories for an award. As stated above Chris will provide both the scoring place mat for Frank and the turn in containers for the 4 entries. Chris has also stated he will have a small prize for each of those 4 winners!

We have spots for 2 more teams! You have untill tomorrow if you want to enter, then we need to shut the door so Chris and Kelly can start doing their jobs of assigning spaces and entering team names for scoring respectivly.

Looking forward to next week. All teams, be sure to "Eat Your Wheaties" that morning, you are gonna need it! Suit up and show up!

C Rocke
07-28-2007, 08:18 PM
OK - We are official - Entries are closed as of 6 PM today with 10 teams. Ladies and gentlemen, we see you all on Saturday, bright and early!

Sylvie
07-29-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm ready for tythis one. Like Big Mista, I can't wait. I'm doing the Anything Butt for our team. Gonna be good.

Single Fin Smoker
07-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Yeah, anything buts gonna be my only shot to knock somebodys socks off.

Can't wait. Doin my last practice cook on Monday.

C Rocke
07-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah, anything buts gonna be my only shot to knock somebodys socks off.

Can't wait. Doin my last practice cook on Monday.

Fin's sandbaggin' - Seen some of his food pron and he has nothing to be worried about!

Bentley
07-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I believe I have sent everyone a PM with Chris's address. If not send me or Chris a PM.

Bigmista
07-30-2007, 12:42 AM
No PM here.

Single Fin Smoker
07-30-2007, 01:37 AM
"Lowering the bar", as they say Mr. Rocke. I am so excited for this opportunity. Thanks to all the Bretheren(Bently, Bigmista etc.) for putting this together and including me in this event. Special thanks to CRocke and his family for hosting all of us at his Rancho Rocke Estate. I was a spectator at the last one and saw how much fun it was.
I only brought beer last time. This time its the refugee kettle and Mr. Meat Smoker........and maybe some more beer..

Bigmista
07-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm bringing the comfy chair.

C Rocke
07-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Will have a contestant map out to Bentley tonite. We have the street for the contest. Remember to bring/make a little extra product for the neighbors and PD to sample on Saturday.

Does anyone need directions?

Bentley
07-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Here is the turn-in sequence and the times, that is PDT! Chicken, tri-tip, ribs and Anything Butt. 1, 1:30, 2, 2:30 Awards about 4ish!

Bentley
07-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I got the best spot! Thats right, that's what happens to champions! Losers get nothing! :twisted:

Bigmista
07-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I got the best spot! Thats right, that's what happens to champions! Losers get nothing! :twisted:

That didn't have anything to do with you being GC. You're there because of your trailer and the fact that your pellet pooper needs electricity.

At least that's what I'm going to believe because we were reserve and we're across the street...:twisted:

Grillman40
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Gents, I'm still trying to come down to spectate. What can I bring?

Besides my Fantasy Football for Dummies book for you know who....:-D

big brother smoke
07-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Can't make it! It is Fiesta in Santa Barbara this weekend and we have a annual family thing on Saturday and need to be good! My nieces are in the parade!

Hope you guys have a blast! I will be making plenty of Margaritas (hiccup in advance)

Bigmista
07-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Gents, I'm still trying to come down to spectate. What can I bring?

Besides my Fantasy Football for Dummies book for you know who....:-D

I understand our host drinks Gin...

Grillman40
07-31-2007, 02:34 PM
well...hopefully nobody I know will see me buying it...:roll:

Professor Salt
07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
You're there because of your trailer and the fact that your pellet pooper needs electricity.

:biggrin:

Bigmista
07-31-2007, 03:58 PM
well...hopefully nobody I know will see me buying it...:roll:

Well you can always buy bourbon for me! Woodford Reserve perhaps?

Single Fin Smoker
08-01-2007, 02:06 AM
Two questions: How do we know where we set up at, and what are we all gonna do with our buring charcoals and wood when we're done?

C Rocke
08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Fin,

We have a special place and arrangements made for you!!!

Seriously, each space will be marked for you, and your space is #8. We got you covered buddy. As for ashes, I am working on plan for this.

C Rocke
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Space Assignments here everyone!

big brother smoke
08-01-2007, 10:08 AM
This thread needs more chit talking, please!
Where's Bentley?

big brother smoke
08-01-2007, 10:16 AM
By the way: It's nice to see us SOCALFO with our act together. I used to get jealous of the farkers on the wrong coast:biggrin: having get togethers and fun like this comp.

The wrong coasters used to tease us that we would never organize, but we are off and running. Hey wrong coasters:tongue: :biggrin:

Now we have got it going on! Thanks to the leadership of Mista, Norco, Chris and Bentley, etc (did not mean to miss anyone)!:icon_clown :icon_clown :icon_clown

HB-BBQ
08-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Fin,

As for ashes, I am working on plan for this.I have been looking at an answer for this myself. I have a galvanized ash can w/lid coming from a place online although it is rather small.
http://www.barbecue-store.com/galvanizedcharcoalashcanwithlid.htm (http://www.barbecue-store.com/galvanizedcharcoalashcanwithlid.htm)

They have 30-gallon galvanized cans w/lids at home depot for $20-$30. Maybe we could all chip in and buy a couple??

Countryhb
08-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Two questions: How do we know where we set up at, and what are we all gonna do with our buring charcoals and wood when we're done?

Maybe you can put it in your burning ash hole?? :eek:

Countryhb
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Where's Bentley?

Just go play Barbie with the nieces and leave the comp cooking to the real men!

How's that for chit talking??

Bigmista
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Where's Bentley?

Sorry.

All of the smack was going on at the CBBQA site. Let me correct that.

Sylvie and I plan on leaving with a German Chocolate cake and 4 Apple pies. Everyone else can fight over the cookies and brownies.

Bigmista
08-01-2007, 12:23 PM

I do believe someone has been called out. You gonna take that BBS?

Single Fin Smoker
08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Country knows a thing or two about buring ash holes...

Bentley
08-01-2007, 12:38 PM

That's why the Rocks have a pool...silly rabbit!

Single Fin Smoker
08-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Looks some of us are on the sun side of your street. Can I bring my table and ez-up?

Bentley
08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry.

All of the smack was going on at the CBBQA site. Let me correct that.

Sylvie and I plan on leaving with a German Chocolate cake and 4 Apple pies. Everyone else can fight over the cookies and brownies.

CHIT...I will be the one giving away apple pies at the end of the day! Apple, yuck, why not chocolate banna coconut cream!...ummmmmm!

Countryhb
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Country knows a thing or two about buring ash holes...

I've left a trail of burning ash holes in my wake!

Grillman40
08-01-2007, 01:50 PM
That is some funny chit....:mrgreen:

Bigmista
08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I've left a trail of burning ash holes in my wake!

I hope there was a condom involved...

Countryhb
08-01-2007, 03:31 PM
I hope there was a condom involved...

Used 365...friction melted each one...fused them together and called it a goodyear!!

HB-BBQ
08-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Used 365...friction melted each one...fused them together and called it a goodyear!!
Isnt that called a dry rub:-D

Countryhb
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I think we're bordering on Woodpile here!

HB-BBQ
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I think we're bordering on Woodpile here!
Yeah it was heading to the crapper real quick. Lets get back on topic...Now about that chocolate cake coming my way, I might be willing to share a little :lol:

Bigmista
08-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah it was heading to the crapper real quick. Lets get back on topic...Now about that chocolate cake coming my way, I might be willing to share a little :lol:

You're assuming that I was going to give you a slice?

HB-BBQ
08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
You're assuming that I was going to give you a slice?Huh did somebody say something?

big brother smoke
08-01-2007, 06:11 PM

Ummm.........None of us that I know have tasted anything you have cooked :shock: :twisted: :biggrin: :tongue:

I heard if you come in last you get pie in the face:wink:

edit: This is a small price I pay to make sure papa gets nookie. You my friend have to dig in your jeans for money to get nookie:shock: :tongue: :biggrin:

Off to my room now!

Bigmista
08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Ummm.........None of us that I know have tasted anything you have cooked :shock: :twisted: :biggrin: :tongue:

edit: This is a small price I pay to make sure papa gets nookie. You my friend have to dig in your jeans for money to get nookie:shock: :tongue: :biggrin:

Off to my room now!

Doh! A blow "below the belt". Will HB be able to come back from that? Let's watch...

Single Fin Smoker
08-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Whats wrong with paying for it?

I do it everytime, mostly without shame.

Brian in So Cal
08-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Space Assignments here everyone!

There is something wrong with me. I get an empty page when I click on the link.:sad:

Thawley
08-01-2007, 08:54 PM
There is something wrong with me.

There most certainly is.

leanza
08-01-2007, 09:03 PM
My, my, pie in de face- hmm.

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 10:07 AM
[quote=big brother smoke;437661]Ummm.........None of us that I know have tasted anything you have cooked :shock: :twisted: :biggrin: :tongue:

quote]

See, you got this all wrong, my brotha Smoke. I don't pay for the nookie, I pay them to leave!! No sense in having them stick around once the deed is done. Oh, and don't worry about pie in the face. That'll happen no matter how I do in the comp!

Now quit playing on the computer and get back on that Honey-Do list while I run the streets.

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 12:59 PM
[quote=big brother smoke;437661]Ummm.........None of us that I know have tasted anything you have cooked :shock: :twisted: :biggrin: :tongue:

quote]

See, you got this all wrong, my brotha Smoke. I don't pay for the nookie, I pay them to leave!! No sense in having them stick around once the deed is done. Oh, and don't worry about pie in the face. That'll happen no matter how I do in the comp!

Now quit playing on the computer and get back on that Honey-Do list while I run the streets.

I get the feeling that this is going to be a very interesting contest!

HB-BBQ
08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I have an unfortunate announcement to make to my fellow SoCal brethern and sisteren. HB BBQ will not be attending this fine event due to me having to work this Saturday. We are working on a huge contract with an Aerospace company and our deadline has been moved up two weeks to this coming Monday. I am extremely bummed this had to happen and ruin my opportunity to cook with you all. I have been planning for this for two weeks now and just purchased all of the food for the event last night. I am truly sorry if this affects any of the days activities.
Regards,

Rob

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
That sucks, Rob. Wanna sell your meat at a discount? :-D

HB-BBQ
08-02-2007, 02:15 PM
That sucks, Rob. Wanna sell your meat at a discount? :-D
:eek: Sorry, my meat is only available to the ladies my friend.....I'll send you a PM.

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I have an unfortunate announcement to make to my fellow SoCal brethern and sisteren. HB BBQ will not be attending this fine event due to me having to work this Saturday. We are working on a huge contract with an Aerospace company and our deadline has been moved up two weeks to this coming Monday. I am extremely bummed this had to happen and ruin my opportunity to cook with you all. I have been planning for this for two weeks now and just purchased all of the food for the event last night. I am truly sorry if this affects any of the days activities.
Regards,

Rob

WE ALL KNOW YOU FEAR ME!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Seriously, we understand. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

You could drop off that new BWS Party so I can give it a proper test drive though...:twisted:

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Ahhh, now I see why they call you Bigmista...all that farkin hot air comin' out yer mouth! The HB Posse fears no pig!!

HB-BBQ
08-02-2007, 03:10 PM
WE ALL KNOW YOU FEAR ME!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Seriously, we understand. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

You could drop off that new BWS Party so I can give it a proper test drive though...:twisted:

Yeah it was the fear factor that got me but I guess now you have a better chance at that chocolate cake with me gone:lol:

As far as the BWS i will probably be cooking on her Sunday so I can clear out my freezer a bit. This does suck after looking forward to going for the last few weeks....

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Just bring the meat and the smoker and I will cook it "properly" for you!

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 04:17 PM
You're gonna need The Survival Gourmet to salvage what's left of that arse when I'm done smacking it around!

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 04:28 PM
You're gonna need The Survival Gourmet to salvage what's left of that arse when I'm done smacking it around!

This from a man who cooks on a sideways UDS! Probably gonna turn his ribs in upside-down! :lol:

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 04:30 PM
LMAO! Ever heard of a pineapple upside-down cake? If it's good enough for a cake, it's good enough for my ribs, brother!

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Might even be good enough for a cookie or a brownie. Just not for my pie!!!

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 04:34 PM
If YOU have a pie, I want nothing to do with it! I can't wait to go face-first into my German Chocolate cake.

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
If YOU have a pie, I want nothing to do with it! I can't wait to go face-first into my German Chocolate cake.

Oh, were you planning on brnging one?

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Sure was...planning on bringing one home with me and telling all my friends about how I whooped up on some "old pro".

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
And when you wake up from that dream will you still show up for this Country-arse whoopin?

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
You're playing my song...I hope you're ready to dance!

Countryhb
08-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Where the heck did all the other 'competition' go? No one else gonna chime in? AM I going to have to take down the mighty Casey all by myself?

Thawley
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Any word on when the informal noobie judging talk is gonna happen? I know I'm not judging, but I'd still like to learn some stuff. I probably cannot be there the whole day, so I'm just trying to figure out the best window of time to be there...

Thawley -- with 3 butts and 2 fatties on as I speak

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 05:30 PM
You're playing my song...I hope you're ready to dance!

Got my shoes on and ready to tap that arse!!

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 05:31 PM
If you wanna see the cooking, come early. I f you wanna do some eatin, come late!

Thawley
08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
If you wanna see the cooking, come early. I f you wanna do some eatin, come late!

Tough choice...

C Rocke
08-02-2007, 05:49 PM
T,

Come around Noonish for the judging instruction, and some of the turn ins just after. Maybe a libation or 2.

Single Fin Smoker
08-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Country is truely impressive. Champion 18th St/Olive q-er, world traveled Golden West St. surfer, ladies man and country gentleman.

Its an honor for me to share a piece of cRockes cul de sac with such genious.

Bigmista
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Country is truely impressive. Champion 18th St/Olive q-er, world traveled Golden West St. surfer, ladies man and country gentleman.

Its an honor for me to share a piece of cRockes cul de sac with such genious.

Perhaps you would like a napkin to wipe the brown bits from your mouth?

Arse kissing is such a messy endeavor...:lol:

Single Fin Smoker
08-02-2007, 07:16 PM
One which you appear to be well versed. Is that German Chocolate cake brown bits?

Bentley
08-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Teams, remember, tomorrow at noon is considered the "Offical" start of the BackYard. After noon, 12pm, you may start injecting, marinating, rubbing...please make sure you keep your meats below 40* intill you get them on your pits!

I look forward to crushing you all and making Neil cry like his precious new baby girl!

Bentley
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Regards,

Rob

Just saw HB. I am bummed, know you are too! If you get any time during the day come by!

Bentley
08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Any word on when the informal noobie judging talk is gonna happen? I know I'm not judging, but I'd still like to learn some stuff. I probably cannot be there the whole day, so I'm just trying to figure out the best window of time to be there...

Thawley -- with 3 butts and 2 fatties on as I speak

Thawley, just getting done for today on the UDS. There will be a judges meeting at 12:30. It will include a quick CBJ overview for the 2 judges who are not CBJ's and the two table captians who are not CBJ's. Come and learn! Kelly, who is our BackYard Rep will be holding it and he is an excellent CBJ, very close to his Master CBJ!

Bentley
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
We have had a late entry. Dale Ginos and The Kettle Guys from the Vista area will be competing. Back to nine teams. One more spot!

Chris, I think I saw you post where this would be OK, sure hope so!

Single Fin Smoker
08-03-2007, 12:01 AM
So I'm not the only one using a kettle????

Sweet!

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Who needs that much time? I'm gonna roll out of bed, put my game face on, and then show up and blow up!! Of course I have none of my chit ready and I gotta drive all my bros to the airport for a trip to Indonesia tomorrow night. I'll be lucky to keep my chicken from burning!!

Teams, remember, tomorrow at noon is considered the "Offical" start of the BackYard. After noon, 12pm, you may start injecting, marinating, rubbing...please make sure you keep your meats below 40* intill you get them on your pits!

I look forward to crushing you all and making Neil cry like his precious new baby girl!

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 01:46 AM

I'll be crying tears of joy when I cut that german chocolate cake!

C Rocke
08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Saturday approaches!

Hey everyone - 9 is a great number. Remember EZ ups, coolers, tables, etc. Everyone will have about a 10 x 10 space for set up and cook, and there is plenty of vehicle parking just down the street. Any questions - Use the number on the contestant map. See you tomorrow AM!!!

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Dangit!! Still ain't Saturday yet!

I made my rubs last night. Judges like cardamom and curry, right?

big brother smoke
08-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Of course I will be calling periodically to provide support of sorts:twisted: :biggrin:

Bentley
08-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Just a peek of what you won't be getting. The start of the Trophies, of which I am sure, most I will be winning!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/BackYardIITrophies003.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/BackYardIITrophies004.jpg
This is 3rd place! Something I will not be tasting!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/002-2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/BackYardIITrophies005.jpg
Kristin bills at $250 an hour at her pratice, she wanted you to know she took the day off to help my Mom. She said that these were going to be expensive "Trophies!" Yada,Yada,Yada...

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Bentley uses condensed milk and raisins in his BBQ Sauce.

Pass it on...

Brian in So Cal
08-03-2007, 11:20 AM
okay, I will chime in. Can't wait to hear and see all the trash talk tomorrow. Maybe one of the Newbies will win a pie!!!

Heres to hoping. LOL

By the way I don't think Kristin wanted her picture taken.

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

Do you think the judges will like BBQ sauce with wasabi and grapefruit?

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

Do you think the judges will like BBQ sauce with wasabi and grapefruit?

You're using BBQ sauce? What's wrong, meat not flavorful enough to stand on it's own accord?? Go ahead and slop lots of that "cover up" on your meat!

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 01:48 PM
I make Great meat. Judges like sauce. Fact of life.

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 01:59 PM
I, on the other hand, was born with great meat! I might have to look into this "sauce" thingy.

I wish we could get some other people to stir this pot up a bit. It's getting pretty boring talking chit to the only guy I KNOW is gonna whoop my arse. Where are the rest of you sorry sacks? Reading up in other threads trying to get last minute tips? Come on, let the roasting begin!! I'm ready to cook RIGHT NOW!!

C Rocke
08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
GGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo - 12 Noon!

big brother smoke
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
You're using BBQ sauce? What's wrong, meat not flavorful enough to stand on it's own accord?? Go ahead and slop lots of that "cover up" on your meat!

:shock: :shock: :shock: Sounds like he needs a lil comp edgamacation.

Sylvie
08-03-2007, 02:30 PM
I, on the other hand, was born with great meat! I might have to look into this "sauce" thingy.

I wish we could get some other people to stir this pot up a bit. It's getting pretty boring talking chit to the only guy I KNOW is gonna whoop my arse. Where are the rest of you sorry sacks? Reading up in other threads trying to get last minute tips? Come on, let the roasting begin!! I'm ready to cook RIGHT NOW!!

Well you are going to need to start getting ready to cook right now in order to get ready for not only a guy who is going to kick your but, but this GAL also.

big brother smoke
08-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Well you are going to need to start getting ready to cook right now in order to get ready for not only a guy who is going to kick your but, but this GAL also.

:wink: :shock: :shock: :shock: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 02:40 PM

That's my pardner right there! Deal with it!!

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 02:45 PM

I didn't know Rancho Rocke had an outdoor KITCHEN for the girls!! :biggrin:

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I didn't know Rancho Rocke had an outdoor KITCHEN for the girls!! :biggrin:

*stepping out of the line of fire*

big brother smoke
08-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Yep! Sylvie is about whooopp your.......:biggrin: :shock:

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Yep! Sylvie is about whooopp your.......:biggrin: :shock:

A whoopin' from a girl is just foreplay!!

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 03:34 PM

Is he talkin smack or flirtin?

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Can't help but notice that our host is suspiciously quiet during all of this...

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I figured with a name like Chris Rocke he'd be full of good material. Instead, I get stuck listening to the witless banter of some guy who's gonna teach me how to make naner pudd'n!

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Naner Pudd'n? Man you are gonna need some pity pie after we get done with you!

HB-BBQ
08-03-2007, 03:59 PM
:roll: :lol:
You guys are killing me, I am really bummed I am gonna miss this tomorrow....

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Come by when yo get off and have some food and drink

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I'll hook you up with a rib and a Cap'n/Apple Cider, Rob!

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I'll hook you up with a rib and a Cap'n/Apple Cider, Rob!

He'l be drowning his sorrows...

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 04:41 PM
More like washing down my German Chocolate!

The_Kapn
08-03-2007, 05:02 PM
This is sure is developing into a BASH or WoodPile thread.
Hint, Hint :lol: :lol:

Hope y'all have a great time at your competition. :wink:

TIM

Bentley
08-03-2007, 05:37 PM

If you "know" Mista is gonna whup ya you dont want to even think about the job your get done on you by Me! Gezz...Mista cant even beat me! Muhhaaaa!

Bentley
08-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Almost finished!...
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/010-2.jpg

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 05:45 PM
If you "know" Mista is gonna whup ya you dont want to even think about the job your get done on you by Me! Gezz...Mista cant even beat me! Muhhaaaa!

Don't jump in here at the 11th hour and try to sneak in a zinger. Just stick to helping bake my 'trophy' and let the Big Dawgs keep barkin'!!

Norcoredneck
08-03-2007, 06:10 PM
This thread has more trash talking than the WWF.

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I figure I better get all my smack-talking in now before people taste my lack of skillz!!

Bigmista
08-03-2007, 06:31 PM
All my pies look great!

Does anyone have any last minute questions about the contest or competing that we can answer?

Countryhb
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
How much $$ is considered an "appropriate" bribe to the judges? Seriously, thanks to you and all the other Brothers who have been so generous with your time and information. You guys are what's right with this world!

big brother smoke
08-03-2007, 06:57 PM
This is sure is developing into a BASH or WoodPile thread.
Hint, Hint :lol: :lol:

Hope y'all have a great time at your competition. :wink:

TIM

Sorry, I help instigated this mess talking:oops:

So, I will refrain for now, but it will be on in woodpile after this comp:twisted: :biggrin:

Sylvie
08-03-2007, 07:07 PM

"Foreplay"- just a prelude to the orgasmic delights Four Q has in store.

Sylvie
08-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Seriously- You're in for a treat especially with the anything but category.

Solidkick
08-03-2007, 08:45 PM
LOL....well this thread has kind of been all over the place.....be sure to post results.......have fun, be safe, and take pics....

leanza
08-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Even though X-BBQ won't be competing tommorrow... We will be there to tantalize your pallets with the best carni asada you have ever had. Jumped in late with the idea and don't no chit about rules. So, stop by and we will lay on you some mui calante bueno taco's, de carni asada. You better like it HOT!:mrgreen:

Brian in So Cal
08-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Love it hot. UMMM Tacos, after all these weeks of practicing ribs and stuff Iam ready for some Carne.

Bentley
08-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Just got through loading the trailer!...Man I am just not that old to be this out of shape! LOL:razz: My Tri-tip is marinading in what my sister discribed as, "a nasty tasting concoction!" Pineapple, garlic and Jalapeno's along with my rub. Say it with me...1st Place tri-tip..Burnt By The Best! Ribs, well that's just a given that I am gonna take 1st, and if my sister can hold up her end of the team and take 1st in chicken and Anything Butt we will be giving away pies to the highest bidder!

Bentley
08-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Well it's done.

Grand Champion Trophy(Mine)

http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/style_images/1/img-resized.png Reduced: 80% of original size [ 800 x 600 ] - Click to view full image
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/015.jpg

RGC

http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/style_images/1/img-resized.png Reduced: 80% of original size [ 800 x 600 ] - Click to view full image
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/018.jpg
The assortment of Trophies...1st place pie in center, 2nd place Oatmeal & Raisin somewhere, 3rd place Brownies somewhere too!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/021.jpg

They gals did work their tails off! I think they know you all appreciate the homemade stuff, so it is a labor of love but they are both crashed out! See you tomorrow!

Thawley
08-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Chit...

I could have sworn Brother Rocke's address was posted, but know I can't find it.

Any help???

Grillman40
08-04-2007, 01:31 PM
you find it yet?

Grillman40
08-04-2007, 01:31 PM
I have his phone number...pm me if you need it

Thawley
08-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks. I've got the number. I guess he and Neil are just ignoring me...

Thawley
08-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Okay. I'm better now.

Grillman40
08-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Now I left his addy at my office. I'll have to call too