PDA

View Full Version : Spicewine only contest.

Mo-Dave
06-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Ok there is already a contest for just Brethren members. Now I propose that we have a Spicewine cooker only contest, someplace in mid Missouri. I think Jay and Steve have built enough for this to happen. Only stipulations would be, cooking on the Spicewine and Jay and Steve along with there hired hands would have to be judges.:redface:
Dave

Yakfishingfool
06-24-2007, 01:33 PM
will there be free spicewine samples???? Sounds cool, Scott

Mo-Dave
06-24-2007, 04:04 PM
will there be free spicewine samples???? Sounds cool, Scott

Well sure it would be an all you can eat after the judging, open to the public for 8.00 bucks a head, with sides, deserts and all the meat donated by the teams. All moneys collected would go back to the teams divided up evenly to help pay down their cost. Now there is an idea an organizer ought to run with. Guess it wont be free. ;-)
Dave

chinesebob
06-24-2007, 04:31 PM
why not make it someplace in indiana or illinois so the rest of us spicewine owners can play too?

Mo-Dave
06-24-2007, 05:16 PM
why not make it someplace in indiana or illinois so the rest of us spicewine owners can play too?

Just thought since Spicewine is built here it would only be fitting to have the contest here. But I have seen their map marking the homes of their products and it covers from cost to cost north and south with of course Missouri having the most. So I am open for suggestions or let Spicewine figure it out. Hey the Mountain Grove contest I just did this weekend gave out 50.00 bucks for the team that traveled the longest, it was a team from some place around Waco Texas.
Dave

Meat Burner
06-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Maybe have the poor UDS guys on the other side of the tracks? LOL !
I would like to attend something like that. Heard nothing but rave reviews about those smokers.

Mo-Dave
06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Maybe have the poor UDS guys on the other side of the tracks? LOL !
I would like to attend something like that. Heard nothing but rave reviews about those smokers.

That would be a good idea as well. Have two contest one for Spicewines and one for drums then have a show down between the two.
Dave

MilitantSquatter
06-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Dave - A real nice idea... Are you planning to organize this ? Seems like a lot of work..

Based on how busy Jay seems to be trying to crank out units to keep up with demand and still comepete for fun on weekends, it may not be fitting to suggest Jay could get or would want to get involved in promoting a contest...

Mo-Dave
06-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Well Id either be a rich man or in prison by now if I acted on every great or not so great ideas I ever had. Jay would not have to organize just offer some suggestions to get the ball rolling, surely there exist someone willing to pick up the gauntlet.

Jay and Steve being the shrewed business men they are surely know they are going to have to expand sooner or later and with something like a contest it would be a given. Besides I want to cook it, wouldn't you.
Dave

The_Kapn
06-24-2007, 06:47 PM
The origonal question/suggestion was about a Spicewine only contest, probably in MO.

There may some merit and a lot of fun in one of those :lol:

Anyone have constructive ideas on how to make one happen?

TIM

Mooner
06-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Dave - A nice idea...but....Are you planning to organize this ? Seems like a lot of work..

I agree with Squatter man, if you can pull this off I'll be amazed. Good luck to you though.

chinesebob
06-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Ok, I'm not a glutten for punishment or anything - but if everyone were willing to pony up a small amount we could probably rent out a portion of a county fairgrounds, esp in Il or Indiana - I'm dying to participate can you tell?

Either that or find a state park with car camping/boating ability and you could do it that way too, then we could camp, drink, and cook.
Think of the stories and pictures from that!

Are there any east coast brethren that would like to come or am the only one this far east interested? if that's the case then I'll stop bellyaching.

big daddy Q
06-24-2007, 09:12 PM
if ya'll make this happen, i'll make the trip to MO, and i'm sure i'll have smokin cracker with me............... we will do anything to have a brew with jay!

BBQchef33
06-24-2007, 09:15 PM
can i come?

:mrgreen:

Sledneck
06-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Seems like discrimination to me

chinesebob
06-24-2007, 11:08 PM
all right - I made the trip once I can make the trip again. Maybe I can grab mcoink to come with. Besides it's like 2 days of smoking cigars without my wife getting on me....

parrothead
06-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Just call it a bash and be done with it.

KC_Bobby
06-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Guess I'll take my Backwoods and go home.:sad:

tony76248
06-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Exactly how many Spicewine Smokers are out there? Jay you would probably be the only person with the answer to that question.

I think the Stumps guys did a Stumpfest a while back. But there are a bunch of them in the southeast area of the country, you know where the Allman Bros, Lynard Skynard and 38 Special began.

Dustaway
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
a gazillion of them out their :twisted:

but the feds only know about 120 or so :twisted:

Mo-Dave
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Seems like discrimination to me

No discrimination here, anyone can buy a Spicewine. Or if someone can't come with theirs, maybe they would let them barrow it.

For the folks that don't own one, we will need volunteers to help run the contest, judges, box runners security, fund raisers, extra team members and the list goes on. Maybe some of you are in a band that would donate some play time for entertainment.

It would be a Spicewine cook off, run by Brethren, what could be better than that. Most Spicewine owners that I know of are Brethren anyway. As far as Jay being to busy, well there is always room for Jaylow. :lol:
Dave

SteerCrazy
06-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm in....will the winner get a new spicewine smoker?? :shock::mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
06-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Guess I'll take my Backwoods and go home.:sad:

I TOLD you to buy a Spicewine! Now looks like you done gone and excluded yourself from a comp! :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Dale P
06-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Where can I find this map of owners?

n-2-que
06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
<--- spicewine owner iowa city IA in daaaa houseeee

KC_Bobby
06-26-2007, 10:03 AM
I TOLD you to buy a Spicewine! Now looks like you done gone and excluded yourself from a comp! :twisted: :wink: :lol:

You'd let me join your team right? When I don't haul the Backwoods Party in my truckbed, it leaves me extra room to bring drinks for the party. Margaritas, Bloody Mary's, Boulevards, etc.

paydabill
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
I do not have a spicewine cooker, but I would love judge and have a good time.

HoDeDo
06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Jay, you are only backed up by about 40 cookers right?? I'm thinkin this might be tough to try to pull off this year...

If folks really consider doing it, since I am sponsored by pellet poopers and can't cook. I would be happy to pitch in, in an auxillary role. Judging software or something - help on the scheduling side of things. I managed not to run the polar swine into the ground :o)

Mo-Dave
06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Jay, you are only backed up by about 40 cookers right?? I'm thinkin this might be tough to try to pull off this year...

If folks really consider doing it, since I am sponsored by pellet poopers and can't cook. I would be happy to pitch in, in an auxillary role. Judging software or something - help on the scheduling side of things. I managed not to run the polar swine into the ground :o)

You may be correct, if this contest is to materialize it may have to wait until next year. but since the Spicewines are insulated it could also be done late in the year with much cooler temps.

I understand how busy they are but surly they can take a Saturday morning off to judge or maybe hand out the awards them selfs. Were talking a couple hours here and I am sure it would be a proud moment for the folks at Spicewine Ironworks to see a field of colorful Spicewines in one spot all smoken away at the same time. Plus think of the advertisement value for the company,with some well taken photo opertunitys to add to their website.

Thats about as involved as Jay and Steve would have to be with this contest, I don't expect them to be the organizer for this, unless they have a mind for it.

Jay and Steve hope I have not upset you all for proposing this contest, that was not my intentions, I just think it would be fun.
Dave

Mo-Dave
06-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Where can I find this map of owners?

Unfortunately you would have to visit his shop in Columbia Mo to see it, unless it got posted on his website or here.
Dave

spicewine
06-26-2007, 12:34 PM
There are 48 or so in the Columbia area, about 18 in the Florida area, about 10 in the New York area and then one or two in just about every other State . There are 110 total and 18 waiting to be built.

You fellows get it together, and we will take care of the awards and trophys.

Spice

tony76248
06-26-2007, 12:36 PM
That answers my question.

Mo-Dave
06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
There are 48 or so in the Columbia area, about 18 in the Florida area, about 10 in the New York area and then one or two in just about every other State . There are 110 total and 18 waiting to be built.

You fellows get it together, and we will take care of the awards and trophys.

Spice

Well there ya go, sounds like Jay and crew are up for it. Anyone have any experience organizing a bbq comp?

Sounds like HoDeDo has some and since I started this thing I would be willing to help/volunteer set things up even if it means not being able to cook it. I could be willing to let someone not so fortunate to own a Spicewine, barrow mine to cook on.
Dave

smokincracker
06-27-2007, 10:30 AM
If the Dates are right I will be there for sure.

Dustaway
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
what the hell I'm in also can't let all the you farkers have all the fun :grin:

ChipotlePat
06-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Would March be good for every one? I like the 28-29
I it would be great start off the year off.

SteerCrazy
06-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Would March be good for every one? I like the 28-29
I it would be great start off the year off.

March sounds good....won't be so hot

spicewine
06-27-2007, 04:05 PM
If the Dates are right I will be there for sure.

Jimmy: We won't be cooking , so if you and Jim come up you can use one side of my smoker and maybe Poohbah can use the other side!!

Just a thought. I will have my Motor Home available for you all to crash.

NO TEA BAGGING!!!!!

Spice

Solidkick
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Jimmy: We won't be cooking , so if you and Jim come up you can use one side of my smoker and maybe Poohbah can use the other side!!

Just a thought. I will have my Motor Home available for you all to crash.

NO TEA BAGGING!!!!!

Spice

I was gonna ask Phil to cook on mine.....Belly Poo Que........:cool: :eek:

Or Jimmy....Cracker Belly Que.....:cool: :eek:

Or Big Daddy......Big Belly Daddy Que.....:cool: :eek:

Or there is Mista.....Ebony and Ivory Big Belly Mista Brothers 4 Que....:cool: :eek:

Dustaway
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Spice you should of been an artist

the mental pictures you paint are priceless http://bestsmileys.com/puking/3.gif

lazyjacres
06-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I would buck up an help organize it. Since I cook on an Ole' Hickory and can't cook, I won't have to worry about the conflict of interest. We would have to do it around Columbia though. Pick a time, and I'm in...........

spicewine
06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Maybe at the Shriners lot??? Beer & Drink Sales??? Just a thought.

Solidkick
06-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Since I cook on an Ole' Hickory and can't cook, ...........

There's still hope for you son.........http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/images/smilies/rolleye11.gif

Jeff_in_KC
06-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Damn this is really taking shape! Ok if the dates and location work for me, I'm in too. Jay, this would be cook publicity for your ocmpany! Press releases, ads, photos for your Web site, etc. Awesome from a marketing standpoint.

Plowboy
06-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I'll pit bitch for someone.

<Feeling the pull of the Spicewine trigger more and more...>

Jeff_in_KC
06-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I'll pit bitch for someone.

<Feeling the pull of the Spicewine trigger more and more...>

Todd, you'd be welcome with us. Just remember if you're feeling the pull to buy a Spicebox, there's no pellet auger on them! Can you handle that? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Plowboy
06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Todd, you'd be welcome with us. Just remember if you're feeling the pull to buy a Spicebox, there's no pellet auger on them! Can you handle that? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

I've burned many a bag of lump and hickory stick in my day. I think I can live with it.

HoDeDo
06-27-2007, 05:57 PM
I guess I could take that old used up FEC off your hands then, if you are going to a spice unit!!!! hehehehe

n-2-que
06-27-2007, 07:14 PM
so when and where so me and the wifey can cook at this not that i am any caliber as you all :P

MilitantSquatter
06-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Jeff may be right when we posted "Damn... this is really taking shape ! " And to think, I was a bit skeptical about this in my first post !!!

How insane do I need to be to consider taking my little trailer and Spicebox to Columbia ???? With enough notice and vacation time.... We'll see....:wink:

Jeff_in_KC
06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Jeff may be right when we posted "Damn... this is really taking shape ! " And to think, I was a bit skeptical about this in my first post !!!

How insane do I need to be to consider taking my little trailer and Spicebox to Columbia ???? With enough notice and vacation time.... We'll see....:wink:

Would enjoy meetin' ya, Vinny! Hope you can make it.

MrSmoker
06-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Man that's a long trip,but i want to go and the Twins want to see their Daddy.

ChipotlePat
06-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Would March good for every one I like the 3\28-29 or the 3\21-22
I it would be great start off the year off. It is far enough out so jay can promate. IT make it worth looking foward during the winter.

Plowboy
06-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Man that's a long trip,but i want to go and the Twins want to see their Daddy.

Wouldn't it be more like meeting their "Creator"?

Slamdunkpro
06-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Mine should be done by then. I'll play.

Mo-Dave
06-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I would buck up an help organize it. Since I cook on an Ole' Hickory and can't cook, I won't have to worry about the conflict of interest. We would have to do it around Columbia though. Pick a time, and I'm in...........

Can I give you a call sometime this weekend and maybe touch base on some planning ideas with you? Email me with times and phone number.

In the mean time if more Spicewine owners could give an idea as to what would be the best dates for this, as a couple have already done, it could help.

I know not all will agree but just want to get a handle on what would be a good target date. With any luck, this could get serious quicker than everyone, myself included thinks.
Dave

SteerCrazy
06-28-2007, 12:11 PM
This is an event I probably would not drag my family so if any of you guys who don't have a spicewine want to cook with me, even though I'm still a newb, you are more than welcome. I have the pit dialed in but the extra hands are always welcome. Let me know if anyone is interested.

n-2-que
06-28-2007, 12:38 PM
me and the wife are open to whenever. just need enough heads up on when and we will be there with the large spicer

willkat98
06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Maybe you can include an "Anything But" category, in which you can use anything but a Spicewine?

March might be a good travel month for people with Spring Break issues.

But, and I in no way would turn a comp thread to a religious discussion, I did look about Easter 2008 at about.com and they said this:

Easter Calendar 2008

• February 6 - Ash Wednesday (http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/qt/whatisashwednes.htm)
• March 16 - Palm Sunday (http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/qt/whatispalmsunda.htm)
• March 21 - Good Friday (http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/qt/whatisgoodfrida.htm)
• March 23 - Easter Sunday (http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/qt/whatiseaster.htm) (Western)

Just wanted to let you folks know, might not matter for most, as you toss dates around.

Sawdustguy
06-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I would love to come next year but trailers and I don't mix. Last year we lost the axel on the lang on our way to Rock n' Ribfest in New Hampshire. On our way to the Dr. BBQ class the Spicewine broke loose in the Battle Wagon. Next, we had a tire blow out on our Battle Wagon at 60 mph on our way back to Rock n' Ribfest this past weekend. I shutter to think what will happen if we venture out west.

KC_Bobby
06-28-2007, 04:10 PM
This is an event I probably would not drag my family so if any of you guys who don't have a spicewine want to cook with me, even though I'm still a newb, you are more than welcome. I have the pit dialed in but the extra hands are always welcome. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I'm newbie too, so I may take you up on this offer depending on the date this gets set. Not being head cook would be a sweet chance to get around and meet some people.

Not that I want to make suggestions and step out of bounds, but since this wouldn't be an official KCBS contest maybe use the honor system and allow everyone to prep their meats at home on Thursday night to allow more time for socialization on Friday.

SteerCrazy
06-28-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm newbie too, so I may take you up on this offer depending on the date this gets set. Not being head cook would be a sweet chance to get around and meet some people.

Not that I want to make suggestions and step out of bounds, but since this wouldn't be an official KCBS contest maybe use the honor system and allow everyone to prep their meats at home on Thursday night to allow more time for socialization on Friday.

First come first served......love to have ya!

chinesebob
06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
As long as it's after NCAA Football season I can do it. I love you guys but I'm not passing up tailgating for anything.

Jeff_in_KC
06-29-2007, 06:26 AM
As long as it's after NCAA Football season I can do it. I love you guys but I'm not passing up tailgating for anything.

Florida fan, eh? :twisted: :lol:

River City Smokehouse
06-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Can I enter with my Bates?

Jeff_in_KC
06-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Can I enter with my Bates?

I wanna know what you call yourself if you've mastered one of those cookers, Jim... :shock: :lol:

PigBoy
06-29-2007, 10:21 AM
I think I'd like to judge, table captain or whatever.

lazyjacres
07-04-2007, 11:41 AM
OK, I've been scouring the calendar for a date and, what does everyone think about May 30th & 31st? I know we're not going to hit a good week for everyone but, this is in the middle of most of the contests around here that I am involved in. Mo-Dave and I talked and had originally talked about April but, the calendar looks conjested around then.
As far as sanctioning the contest, my vote is no. Let's make it our contest to run as we wish, and avoid the sanctioning fees. I think we should follow the KCBS format to keep everyone on an even playing field, but I would also suggest doing a couple of added entries to add a little "spice' to the contest.
I would like to see an "Open" catagory, and maybe a "bean" catagory.
What does everyone think? Suggestions please............

Mo-Dave
07-04-2007, 12:28 PM
OK, I've been scouring the calendar for a date and, what does everyone think about May 30th & 31st? I know we're not going to hit a good week for everyone but, this is in the middle of most of the contests around here that I am involved in. Mo-Dave and I talked and had originally talked about April but, the calendar looks conjested around then.
As far as sanctioning the contest, my vote is no. Let's make it our contest to run as we wish, and avoid the sanctioning fees. I think we should follow the KCBS format to keep everyone on an even playing field, but I would also suggest doing a couple of added entries to add a little "spice' to the contest.
I would like to see an "Open" catagory, and maybe a "bean" catagory.
What does everyone think? Suggestions please............

You have email.
Dave

Transformer BBQ
07-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Did the prices just jump up on these? Could have sworn they were different when I was looking at the site at the begining of the week...

could just me me...

gunrunner2491
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
When a date has been chosen, the wife and me would like to take a trip up north, and visit with you guys. I just need a definite date so I can plan for the vacation at work. How many hours you figure that is from Texas?

Dustaway
07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Did the prices just jump up on these? Could have sworn they were different when I was looking at the site at the begining of the week...

could just me me...

Yep Jay has be saying for sometime that he was going to increase the price in July, even with the slight price increase you still can't find a better built upright in the price range :-D

Transformer BBQ
07-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't dissagree... and I've only ever seen one of these ever.

It went on the wish list after seeing the Fat Pollack's in NH... I was just wondering if I was imagining things.

I'm thinking my lang 60 might grow up to be a box in 2008...

spicewine
07-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Got tired of working for minimum wage so I gave myself a raise! :wink:

Solidkick
07-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Lunch is over....back to work! :twisted:

I see no conflicts with that weekend at this time!

Dustaway
07-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Well if Congress can do it I guess it's ok for you :biggrin:

chinesebob
07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Works for me. I'll be there.

Jeff_in_KC
07-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Isn't that GAB Weekend? Depends on when the 4th Monday in May falls I guess. I haven't looked at a calendar yet.

burnin butts
07-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, it looks like we'll have a little "Sturgis" on our hands!! Maybe we can have a "burn out" compitition too! :lol: