PDA

View Full Version : Comp. Volunteers

motoeric
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi,

A question for competition organizers and other informed peoples:

A competitor goes to cook-offs for the camaraderie, the opportunity to compete, the opportunity to learn and to get out of the house and party a bit.

Judges give up their day also for the camaraderie and some excellent food.

What do other volunteers (who are the backbone of any well run event) get out of it? Table captains, runners, etc. They don't get any food, they don't get a chance at glory.

Thoughts?

After being an active participant on these forums for a while I have noticed that there is often some hostility towards judges that competitors feel are just in it for the food. Especially food that they take home.

If SOMEONE was going to be leaving with food, would people be more comfortable with it being non-judging volunteers?

Is there a way to make that happen?

What if a comp organizer purchased extra food and asked if any competitors would be willing to cook it up for the volunteers. Would that be cool or be considered an imposition?

I guess the real problem arises when it is a not for profit event benefiting a charity. Anything that you purchase for the volunteers (small thank you gifts, gift certificates, etc.) takes away from what goes to the charity.

Thanks for reading!

Eric

Papa Tom
06-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi,

After being an active participant on these forums for a while I have noticed that there is often some hostility towards judges that competitors feel are just in it for the food. Especially food that they take home.

Eric

After judging and being given food to take home I give it all away. Last thing I want at that point is more Q.
Every competitor needs to judge at least once. They'll probably change the way they cook and they lose some of those misconceptions about judge bias.

motoeric
06-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Tom! May I ask who gives you food to take home? Competitors?

Eric

Papa Tom
06-07-2007, 09:40 PM
No the organizers the excess turn in Q was given to the judges I scored probably 8-10 lbs.

motoeric
06-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Well, that may answer my question right there. Does this happen often? If there is considerable left overs, that could be given to the non-judging volunteers.

Thanks for the info!

Eric

LostNation
06-08-2007, 04:49 AM
Last season at Lake Placid they asked the teams if they could donate any leftover food for a party for the volunteers a couple weeks later. They had plenty of commercial refrigerator and freezer space nearby. This contest was one of the most cooker friendly and well run contest that the organizers were overwhelmed with the leftover BBQ that they just ate it up at all the meetings and parties last year and just finished it up a few weeks ago. This year they have two meat sponsors for free briskets and butts. If anyone wants to get on the list email me.

VitaminQ
06-08-2007, 09:31 AM
The only comp I'm even remotely acquainted with is Art of BBQ in Tulsa. It's a fundraiser for the Tulsa Arts and Humanities council, which is a non-profit group that advances arts causes. Most of the volunteers seem to be working to help out that organization in rasing money. I may be way off on this. Merl could probably give us the straight dope on that particular comp.

Ron_L
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
At the Westmont, IL competition they took the extras from the turn-ins and put it on a table for the volunteers to enjoy. Judges were free to take home food from what they had judged, but anything in the turn-in box after the judges had grabbed a piece went to the volunteers (and table captains).

Mo-Dave
06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Well, that may answer my question right there. Does this happen often? If there is considerable left overs, that could be given to the non-judging volunteers.

Thanks for the info!

Eric

As a judge I don't take any food home and even if I did it would be my leftovers only. As a volunteer I can and do take home at least one container of food. If its a large contest there will be a lot of leftovers so I don't feel bad about taking some. Being a volunteers and table captain can be a lot of fun everyone should give judging and volunteering a go.
Dave

chad
06-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Some events we've been to solicit "donations" from the teams to feed the volunteers...we always support that. Other places have the "grazing table" for the volunteers...etc. Gotta take care of the volunteers!!

When I did the Myron Mixon cook school he gave the leftovers (lots and lots of leftovers) to the park staff where we stayed and conducted the class.