PDA

View Full Version : Visiting a Competition

WineMaster
06-04-2007, 08:37 PM
We have never been to a competition and were thinking about booking the begining of October in Kansas City. Is the Royal a fun one to visit or are there better ones. The wife isnt into Q as much as I am, however she said she'd go to one and I want her to have a fun time.
Let me know what you think.
P.S. What are some good places to stay if we did come to that Comp.

Thanks Dan

KC_Bobby
06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Come on down! I'm sure you'll find plenty of brethern that would be happy to have you hang out at their camps to fill your weekend. The American Royal is very close to downtown, but either a short drive or short taxi. Are you familiar with KC - moreso, Kemper Arena? I think they have shuttles running people down there from a few spots in/near the downtown area.

If your sole purpose for the weekend is to hang out at the Royal, I'd stay downtown. The Marriott on Barney Allis Plaza is very close. 5 minutes by taxi and round trip probably wouldn't be much more than parking. If you like beer, the taxi is the smart idea. Bryant's and Gates are short drives away.

If you plan on doing some other things around town, I'd recommend staying on the Plaza. It's about 5 miles from the Royal. The Plaza is a nice area for shopping, eating, drinking - and Westport (bar district) is a short walk away. If this sounds like something of interest, I'd stay at Embassy Suites. Also, Oklahoma Joe's is about a 5 minute drive one way, and Gates is about 5 minutes another way from there.

The Chiefs play the Jags that Sunday at Arrowhead ... I'll take a shot in the dark and say that the Royals don't make the playoffs this season, so probably no game at the K.

WineMaster
06-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Were only going to the Comp for 1 Day. Which day is best. I think well come down Thursday and leave Monday. Make a long weekend out of it. Lots to see in that town.

beam boys bbq
06-04-2007, 09:53 PM
watch out for the dark side friday night you won't be the same after it :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

york

Plowboy
06-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Plan to be there on Saturday. You'll get to see the Invitational Awards and partake in the Saturday Night parties, bands, and fireworks.

bbqbull
06-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Ive have never been to the K.C. Royal contest. Ive had a great friend compete there in the open portion of the contest and did 17th overall.
Ive heard many mixed opinions of things are great fun........to...........a huge mind altering whatever induced huge mass of promlems.
This all is just here say. I would someday love to attend and see what really goes on there.

KC_Bobby
06-04-2007, 10:06 PM
I'll be on the dark side! Friday night will be super party night and Saturday night will be drinking in order to control the hangover. :mrgreen:

WineMaster
06-05-2007, 09:36 AM
How many teams are involved in the Royal

Plowboy
06-05-2007, 09:43 AM
500 ish

bowhnter
06-05-2007, 09:55 AM
That sounds like a good time...maybe I can talk my wife into driving up that weekend.

smknwhlswife
06-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Last year there were over 560 teams.

Do not drive down into the bottoms (the Kemper Arena Area) unless you go early (like late morning) and don't plan on leaving for a while. They have major traffic problems!!:mad: If you come later in the day, take a shuttle.

We will only cook there if we get into the invitational....otherwise Andy will be helping our sponser sell cookers inside the A.R. building, and of course partying!

Mooner
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
watch out for the dark side friday night you won't be the same after it :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

york

DITTO - DO NOT GO TO THE DARK SIDE LUKE!!!

Jaberwabee
06-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I am also going and hoping to meet alot of you, if anyone needs help with anything I am off the whole weekend and will be in KC,, hint, hint, please let me be a bbq loser!!!