PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices Effecting Your Comp Decisions?

Jeff_in_KC
06-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Is anyone else re-thinking long distance contests in favor of closer ones due to gas prices? We've paid for Dillon, Colorado back in February but danged if I can afford $400 or so for gasoline to get there and back. We have until July 1 to request a refund and drop out. I think we're going to watch prices closely til then and make a decision later on in the month. Just curious if anyone else is wrestling with such a decision and which way you're leaning.

Mo-Dave
06-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Yep its all about gas price + distance + payouts, for me these days. For a better payout I could go a little further I guess.

There has been talk about having to many contest but under the circumstances, I think more could be better, even with smaller payouts.
Dave

slat
06-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Not yet. Will have to see what the prices do.

Plowboy
06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
YES!! We aren't doing Art of BBQ in Tulsa this year. The primary reason is because of a schedule conflict with Warrensburg, MO. However, I doubt we would have done it with gas as it is.

We are going to Des Moines this week, but that's as far as we are going this year. Its a 3 1/2 hour drive for me. However, we have multiple sponsors for this contest. Our whole hog and entry fee is fully paid for. I feel for Randy who has to haul that big pig of a concession trailer up there. We'll have to pitch in on that deal.

May do a Columbia, MO (2 hours drive) contest or two. Everything else is within an hour's drive.

Would be great to travel and compete against different faces, but just not going to happen this year. Time off is another factor. I'm trying to get 18 contests in this year. 10-12 is our norm. I'm going to work from Des Moines this Thursday and Friday so I don't have to take off work for the contest.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
I find myself using Gasbuddy.com to plan the route of my trips and even what trips I might take these days. If I were competing, I would take it into consideration to plan which ones and where.

The map shows county by county prices color coded. Sure makes you think to see it illustrated like that.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

BBQ_Mayor
06-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Yea, gas is a killer. Platte City is as far as I'll go this year.

MoKanMeathead
06-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Not changing our decisions

Plowboy
06-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Not changing our decisions

Winning sure balances the expenses. :wink:

parrothead
06-04-2007, 08:01 AM
No change here. We will likely only be doing three and they would have been the closest ones already.

nancee
06-04-2007, 12:14 PM
big time!!! also thinking about going back to wsms for some so I don't have to haul the trailer
nancee

Is anyone else re-thinking long distance contests in favor of closer ones due to gas prices? We've paid for Dillon, Colorado back in February but danged if I can afford $400 or so for gasoline to get there and back. We have until July 1 to request a refund and drop out. I think we're going to watch prices closely til then and make a decision later on in the month. Just curious if anyone else is wrestling with such a decision and which way you're leaning.

The_Kapn
06-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Gas Prices Effecting Your Comp Decisions?

Not really.
We drive such huge miles anyway, and comp expenses are so high, that another hit on gas is a small percentage overall.

(Posted from deep in the interior of the "Dark Side" :oops: )

TIM

SP
06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
The brisket prices my make gas look like nothing from what I've heard.

Greatgrills
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
The gas prices will not make us cancel any contest..We spend so much going to one contest that a little more will not make much of a dent..You have to plan ahead and always think that in the summer the gas is always going to be higher...Do what Mark does when we stop to fill up just turn the other way and make your wife go pay and don't ask:-P

MilitantSquatter
06-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Not this year as entries already mailed..

Next year, if gas costs are a major factor, I'd probably only cut back on least favorite contest to offset the increased costs of the fuel beyond the current cost for all of the others that I still want to attend.

beam boys bbq
06-04-2007, 09:43 PM
bio fuel

my truck is running on vege oil smell like crap and runes like an champ

.18 an gal

york8-)

tony76248
06-05-2007, 06:32 AM
I have a 5.3 liter crew cab chevy silderado , it gets over 22 mpg on the freeway. With my 27' travel trailer empty I have gotten 16 mpg. Since it has been loaded....to the gills...last weekend I got 10 mpg on a 350 mile trip running 70 mph, coming back I ran about 60 and got 12 mpg. There were some small mountains involved in last weeks trip. I was more concerned about the transmission than the gas milage.

I don't worry too much about the gas milage but the wife and I do get a laugh about it.

I can tell you one thing. I wouldn't be doing chili cook-offs being that they do not pay the winners. Did you ever wonder what they do with all of that money???

chinesebob
06-05-2007, 06:56 AM
YES!! We aren't doing Art of BBQ in Tulsa this year. The primary reason is because of a schedule conflict with Warrensburg, MO. However, I doubt we would have done it with gas as it is.

We are going to Des Moines this week, but that's as far as we are going this year. Its a 3 1/2 hour drive for me. However, we have multiple sponsors for this contest. Our whole hog and entry fee is fully paid for. I feel for Randy who has to haul that big pig of a concession trailer up there. We'll have to pitch in on that deal.

May do a Columbia, MO (2 hours drive) contest or two. Everything else is within an hour's drive.

Would be great to travel and compete against different faces, but just not going to happen this year. Time off is another factor. I'm trying to get 18 contests in this year. 10-12 is our norm. I'm going to work from Des Moines this Thursday and Friday so I don't have to take off work for the contest.

Must be nice with the farthest being 3 1/2 hours away. For us mid-atlantic states the closest comp we're doing this year is 4 hours away. Gas prices aside - we do what the pot can afford. Once we place we're going to start soliciting sponsors.

We're shooting for 3 contests this year. Depending on how we do this year next year we'll look at 5 or 6.

Rub
06-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Diesel fuel for me is cheaper once I get out of FL and my home town, so I'm actually SAVING money by going to contests :wink: . I can usually find it $.20 - $.30/gallon cheaper in GA, AL, etc.

I am always looking for ways to save money in regards to fuel, and the 2 easiest by far have given me about and honest 2.5 - 3.5mpg more. The first is airing my truck tires up to 75lbs in front and 70lbs in rear, and my trailer tires up to 40lbs. My truck tires are rated for 80lbs, so check yours and go almost to the max. Less rolling resistance = higher mpg's. The second thing is SLOW DOWN. My buddies laugh at me for driving in the right lane at 65 - 68mph as they fly by at 75+mph, but it only takes me a marginal amount of time more, and my fuel mpg's go up.

Bottom line, every penny counts for me in this hobby/obsession. I do what it takes to feed the need :mrgreen: .

parrothead
06-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Diesel fuel for me is cheaper once I get out of FL and my home town, so I'm actually SAVING money by going to contests :wink: . I can usually find it $.20 - $.30/gallon cheaper in GA, AL, etc.

I am always looking for ways to save money in regards to fuel, and the 2 easiest by far have given me about and honest 2.5 - 3.5mpg more. The first is airing my truck tires up to 75lbs in front and 70lbs in rear, and my trailer tires up to 40lbs. My truck tires are rated for 80lbs, so check yours and go almost to the max. Less rolling resistance = higher mpg's. The second thing is SLOW DOWN. My buddies laugh at me for driving in the right lane at 65 - 68mph as they fly by at 75+mph, but it only takes me a marginal amount of time more, and my fuel mpg's go up.

Bottom line, every penny counts for me in this hobby/obsession. I do what it takes to feed the need :mrgreen: .

I have found that cruise control does wonders for your mileage as well. I made the exact same trip every week for years down to St. Louis. I usually used cruise control. Once in a while I would not and I used a good 1/8 of a tank less when on cruise.

Trout_man22
06-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I have found that cruise control does wonders for your mileage as well. I made the exact same trip every week for years down to St. Louis. I usually used cruise control. Once in a while I would not and I used a good 1/8 of a tank less when on cruise.

Check your owners manual about pulling a trailer and using cruise control. Most will tell you not to do it, I still do, however it can mess up the transmission according to each owners manual that I've read.

parrothead
06-05-2007, 11:42 AM
You are right. I usually don't when a trailor is in tow. Taking it out of overdrive when towing seems to help though.

habenero
06-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Dodge Cummins gets around 20 mpg without the trailer, 16-18 with the trailer. I would work at 3 jobs if I have to to go down the road to cook. There are ways to do it, you just have to really want to. How big is your heart?
habenero

Q Haven
06-06-2007, 11:05 AM
High gas prices not affecting our competition decisions this year. But they are extremely annoying!

I have to laugh thinking back to a trip we took to France two years ago. Gas prices were real high here, and I saw a gas station in Paris where the price was marked 1.61. It took a minute before I realized that was Euros per liter! That has to be around six or seven bucks a gallon. That's why they all drive glorified golf carts....

The prices are bad here, but nothing compared to Europe....

BBQchef33
06-06-2007, 11:11 AM
i look at it this way.

consider a 20 gallon tank.

if gas is a dollar a gallon more than last year, that equates to 20 dollars per tankful. So, if your going to use 2-3 tankfuls, its only 40-60 bucks more this year than last.

hobbies cost $$. wanna play, gotta pay. Its alot better than needlepoint.

not that theres anything wrong with that. ;)

ZILLA
06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
For now our pit is pulled with a company truck on the expense account. We have discussed a contingency plan but we'll see what happens. It's something to think about for sure.

tony76248
06-06-2007, 02:59 PM
My hobbies over the years have been Sailboats and Motorcycles, this is much cheaper. Pay a little more for the gas...also practice more so you will win the competitions then they will supplement your hobby! :-D

Greendriver
06-06-2007, 06:13 PM
bio fuel

my truck is running on vege oil smell like crap and runes like an champ

.18 an gal

york8-)

Sounds good but how does that help me? Can u give us some direction on how we can all use that stuff.?

Q Haven
06-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Diesel engines can run on lots of things, including used vegetable oil. Conversion isn't too expensive, but your car will smell like McDonald's fries! Google biodiesel and you will learn a lot.

HoDeDo
06-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I opted out of cooking wichita this weekend. The extra gas on top of the more expensive beef and ribs... on top of... etc, etc. Made it too expensive for me to travel that far to boot. I am cooking the APWA cookoff in Shawnee instead.

lunchlady
06-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Gas hasn't really affected us that much this year. We will still go cook all the ones we want to, but that roadtrip to the Royal is making me think!

We were gonna rent an RV, but then they hit you for mileage too! It's almost 1500, ONE WAY! Looking at other options now. Anyone with an RV wanna drive us out and "lounge with lunchmeat" at the Royal this year?

beam boys bbq
06-07-2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.dieselsecret.com/heatingoil.html

this is how i got started it works very well no converisions needed

i can switch back and forth from regular or bio

york

smokincracker
06-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I started cooking only 2 birds, 2 slabs ribs, 1 pork butt, 1 brisket packer.
This saves me about $60.00 and that makes up for the extra fuel cost.
The way I figure "I can cook 2 slabs better than 6 every day!"

No more free snacks for the masses :)

ique
06-07-2007, 02:40 PM
http://thefuntimesguide.com/2005/07/ford_f650_truck.php

Oh if I just had an extra 80 grand

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/fordf650.jpg

smokincracker
06-07-2007, 03:42 PM
http://thefuntimesguide.com/2005/07/ford_f650_truck.php

Oh if I just had an extra 80 grand

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/fordf650.jpg

That 17mpg is BS

Jeff_in_KC
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM

york

Damn it I need to go out and buy me a diesel engine vehicle now!

HoDeDo
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM

york

What are you putting it in? I'd like to hear more about your experience!!

beam boys bbq
06-07-2007, 07:24 PM
this web sight has an book that the formula in it

there is an additive that you buy from them
there is an additive you buy at walmart
gas about 1 gal per 55 gall of bio
kerisoine about 4 gal per 55 gall of bio
and 35 gall of veg oil i get my from chesters chicken

my fueling station cost me about 500.00 to make

one batch 55 gall will cost me about .18 cents per gal

the guys at work turned me on to this i drive an jeep desiel durring the week i drive about 1500 to 1800 miles an week

then my ford power stroke pulls my bbq trailer during the weekend

the guys at work has an vw station wagion desiel and the other one drives an doge ram

it goes from an ruff sounding desiel to an cats pur the oil lubes the cilenders even more

jeep extended my engin warenty by two years because i was running bio

york

Jeff_in_KC
06-07-2007, 10:15 PM
How long does it take to make a batch? And what kind of mess does the station create? I'm guessing it's probably something my home owner's association would frown upon.

chinesebob
06-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Diesel engines can run on lots of things, including used vegetable oil. Conversion isn't too expensive, but your car will smell like McDonald's fries! Google biodiesel and you will learn a lot.

I have some friends that convert their own biodiesel and they don't have that issue at all. A lot of people say they smell but I've never smelled it. Their cost is about 1.50 a gallon.

Sledneck
06-10-2007, 09:27 AM
The cost doesnt bother me at all

HoDeDo
06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
this web sight has an book that the formula in it

there is an additive that you buy from them
there is an additive you buy at walmart
gas about 1 gal per 55 gall of bio
kerisoine about 4 gal per 55 gall of bio
and 35 gall of veg oil i get my from chesters chicken

my fueling station cost me about 500.00 to make

one batch 55 gall will cost me about .18 cents per gal

the guys at work turned me on to this i drive an jeep desiel durring the week i drive about 1500 to 1800 miles an week

then my ford power stroke pulls my bbq trailer during the weekend

the guys at work has an vw station wagion desiel and the other one drives an doge ram

it goes from an ruff sounding desiel to an cats pur the oil lubes the cilenders even more

jeep extended my engin warenty by two years because i was running bio

york

So Jeep actually extended your warranty? I'd love some info on that- is that a liberty diesel??

I guess I'll just have to buy the book from the website. It sounds like a great solution - I can't believe folks arent selling it yet. I'd like to check out your setup sometime. If you are making it for .18/Gal - I'd love to buy a tank from you for $2.00/Gal, and see how it runs in my '06 Ram.

beam boys bbq
06-18-2007, 10:20 PM
when you are down my way or the contest trail cross let me know i will bring some

mercadies 4 clinder deseal ( i know my spelling sucks)
in what is in the jeep liberty

they stoped making them at this time for emissions control problems

if you see an jeep with CLD center lined desiel for engin size on right side back of my jeep i will take an pitcher of my fueling station an post it soon

york

HoDeDo
06-20-2007, 09:18 AM
They are selling Grand Charokee's now with the 3.0 Mercedes Diesel in them... I'm waiting for VW to bring thier TDI back in the next year or so after it meets emissions. I should have never sold mine.

What is your next contest? Or if you have a weekend you arent cooking, I'm probably cooking anyway - we could hook up. You might have met my wife at Sedalia - she was the red-head with the lil girls, that was hanging out with Wayne, Jeff, and da boys.

butts a fire
06-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Gas is a big factor for me since I have no sponsors I try to go to the closest contests I can.

beam boys bbq
06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
They are selling Grand Charokee's now with the 3.0 Mercedes Diesel in them... I'm waiting for VW to bring thier TDI back in the next year or so after it meets emissions. I should have never sold mine.

What is your next contest? Or if you have a weekend you arent cooking, I'm probably cooking anyway - we could hook up. You might have met my wife at Sedalia - she was the red-head with the lil girls, that was hanging out with Wayne, Jeff, and da boys.

i remimber seeing her never met

i am cooking with great grills of fire in warrensburg then glasgo then laurie mo

york

HoDeDo
06-20-2007, 08:51 PM
i remimber seeing her never met

i am cooking with great grills of fire in warrensburg then glasgo then laurie mo

york

We'll be in Warrensburg, and in Laurie!! I'll have to bribe you into bringing a tank of that bio-go juice.

BTW - You guys are welcome to have B&G with us on Sat. morning - I'll be makin up a big batch.

Jeff_in_KC
06-20-2007, 10:42 PM
We'll be in Warrensburg, and in Laurie!! I'll have to bribe you into bringing a tank of that bio-go juice.

BTW - You guys are welcome to have B&G with us on Sat. morning - I'll be makin up a big batch.

B&G... at Warrensburg or Laurie?

HoDeDo
06-20-2007, 11:09 PM
B&G... at Warrensburg or Laurie?

Scroll up to Todd's post where he signed me up for cookin B&G at warrensburg. :cool: Right after he buttered me up by saying I made the best B&G he ever had at Polar Swine this year....:icon_blush:

Jeff_in_KC
06-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Damn now I'm really looking forward to Warrensburg!

beam boys bbq
06-21-2007, 09:59 PM
boy i love you brothers
you take care of me so well

york