PDA

View Full Version : The Lastest Brethren Food Venture Opens on LI

SmokeInDaEye
05-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Wine & Swine's new restaurant is officially open for business!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New York – May 25, 2007 – Taste, an 80-seat bistro located in the heart of historic Garden City, has opened its doors, giving Long Island restaurant goers a new choice in casual dining.

Developed by former River Café sous chef Ed Witt and general manager John Cantwell, Taste melds American comfort cuisine with Chef Witt’s passion for seasonal local ingredients to create a menu that stimulates all of the senses.

First, Chef Witt tempts the palate with a selection of “Small Tastes,” ranging from house-made liverwurst with horseradish mustard to Newsom ham stuffed mini peppers. Guests can also select from a variety of American meats and cheeses, or sample from the restaurant’s shellfish bar.

The dining experience continues with an offering of first course “Tastes,” featuring stewed shrimp with andouille and okra, smoked tuna tartar stuffed squash blossoms with pickled ramps, and cherrywood smoked pulled pork sandwiches with cucumber slaw, among others.

Main courses include selections such as pan-roasted snapper with crab dumplings and red pepper sauce, a grilled pork chop with cheese grits and collard greens, and house-made ramp pasta with braised artichokes and chanterelles. The journey concludes with a selection of “Sweet Tastes,” from brioche and Knob Creek bread pudding with lemonade ice cream to sweet potato pie with dried cherry ice cream.

Taste also offers an eclectic wine list focusing on regional American wines in addition to classic hand crafted cocktails and an extensive beer list featuring both seasonal and regional specialties. The “Taste” logo and uniforms were created by acclaimed fashion designer and food aficionado, Marc Ecko.

Ed Witt’s 15 years of varied experience includes California’s Rubicon and Jardiniere and New York’s own Daniel, where he played a pivotal role in the restaurant’s reopening. He also worked at Nicole’s and Il Buco, as well as the River Café. Chef Witt attended the Culinary Institute of America.

John Cantwell’s culinary career began in earnest after graduating New York’s French Culinary Institute, when he became the General Manager at the highly successful Match. John then signed on with Buzzy O’Keefe to manage front of the house operations at the legendary River Cafe.

More recently, John has worked with Dean Philipis of Piccolo of Huntington and The Mill Pond and Jerry Scotto of The Westbury Manor and Zeffirino, Las Vegas. John is also a member of the American Sommelier Society.

Taste is located at 660 Franklin Avenue, Garden City.

For more information or reservations, please call 516-663-5140.

# # #

SmokeInDaEye
05-25-2007, 04:43 PM
And the new sign...

lazybonesmoke1
05-25-2007, 05:38 PM
WOW! Hope you guys do killer business!

MilitantSquatter
05-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Excellent !!!

Hmmm...Wonder who wrote that press release ?

Bet is was an ash-hole.:biggrin:

Westexbbq
05-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Good news, it's official.
Hope to dine there soon with the current spouse on a special occasion.
Looks to be a very nice place and I am sure it will be worth a visit.

nonthink
05-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Congrats. Best of luck.

BBQ_MAFIA
05-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Good luck to John.

backyardchef
05-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Cool! Best of luck....sorry we couldn't make it tonight, Clint.

Sledneck
05-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Will be taking the wife there in 3 weeks

SmokeInDaEye
05-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Cool! Best of luck....sorry we couldn't make it tonight, Clint.

There's always next time. I almost ate the entire menu and am ready for seconds!

And Vinny, I hear the guy who wrote that press release is a jerk.:mrgreen:

WannaBeBBQueen
05-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Congrats! and Best wishes, we will stop by soon! Promise:biggrin:

The_Kapn
05-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Congrats to Wine and Swine and to all involved in putting this together.

I hope it is a resounding success!

TIM

jpw23
05-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Congrats to Wine and Swine and to all involved in putting this together.

I hope it is a resounding success!

TIMWhat Tim said!!!!!:biggrin: Congrats!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

parrothead
05-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Sounds excellent! Good luck!

BigBarry
05-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Congrats and good luck!

BTW, what is "ramp"?

Will be there soon to check it out!

MilitantSquatter
05-26-2007, 11:50 AM
I think it's a leek.

Sawdustguy
05-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Best wishes in your new endevour!

Porky
05-26-2007, 03:23 PM
All the best wishes on the new restauarnt and I hope to be there in the near future. Good Luck.

bbqjoe
05-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Congrats and good luck!

BTW, what is "ramp"?

I think it's a leek.
You'd better not leek on the ramp!!!!!

Good luck to you guys!!!

MilitantSquatter
05-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Any chance of getting a menu posted soon ?

Mrs. Mafia
05-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Great news! Best of Luck!

SmokeInDaEye
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Any chance of getting a menu posted soon ?

I"ll get one ASAP.

MilitantSquatter
05-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Hmmm.... I never realized walking across the street and about 1/4 mile from your house to get to the restaurant took so long !!!!

Glad your not one of the waiters ... :biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye
05-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Hmmm.... I never realized walking across the street and about 1/4 mile from your house to get to the restaurant took so long !!!!

Glad your not one of the waiters ... :biggrin:

Sorry, been busy painting my porch. I think the menu has changed slightly (John added a great rootbeer float today for example), but this give you an idea):

Small Plates

Deviled Eggs with Bottarga

Brandade Fries with Black Olive & Tomato

House-Made Liverwurst with Horseradish Mustard

Newsom Ham Stuffed Mini Peppers

Shrimp Hush Puppies

Wild Mushroom & Maple Smoked Grilled Cheese

Appetizers

Razor Clam Chowder

Green Salad with Key Lime Vinaigrette & Shaved Salsify

Stewed Shrimp with Andouille & Okra

Cold Smoked Salmon Tartar with Pickled Ramps

Grass-Fed Beef Tartar with Jalapeño & Crispy Quail Egg

Duck & Cherry Sausage with Cornbread

Pulled Pork Sandwich with Cucumber Slaw (Smoke In Da Eye’s Recipe; Made perfect by Willy B)

Maine Lobster Salad with Mango, Shave Fennel & Chili Vinaigrette

Entrees

Sorrel Tagliatelle with Braised Artichokes & Chanterelles

Pan Roasted Sea Scallops with English Peas, Fingerling Potatoes & Morels

Seared Tuna with Olive Oil Crushed Potatoes & Asparagus

Pan-Roasted Snapper with Crispy Crab Gnocchi, Roasted Peppers & Capers

Lavender Roasted Normandy Duck Breast with Braised Radishes and Fava Beans

Grilled Pork Chop with Grits, Bacon & Collards

Grilled Grass-Fed Beef Steak with Bourbon Onion Marmalade

Sides

Olive Crushed Potatoes

Grits

Crispy Crab Gnocchi

Asparagus

Desserts

Brioche & Jack Daniels Bread Pudding with Lemonade Ice Cream

Taste Chocolate “Mousse”

Sweet Potato Pie with Dried Cherry Ice Cream
Lemon Meringue Cake

Daily Ice Cream & Sorbet

MilitantSquatter
05-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Wow.. those are some fancy dishes !!! Gonna be a challenge for me to try some new things.. I might just drive the waiter or waitress nuts asking if I have the option of mixing and matching different things that I have eaten before and like...

John - any chicken dishes ??

Desserts look fantastic... I think I may just order all of them and skip the other courses.

Sledneck
05-27-2007, 10:52 PM
can you add bunky meat pies with the dipping sauce to the menus please

SmokeInDaEye
05-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Wow.. those are some fancy dishes !!! Gonna be a challenge for me to try some new things.. I might just drive the waiter or waitress nuts asking if I have the option of mixing and matching different things that I have eaten before and like...

John - any chicken dishes ?? ( Plain grilled, with baked potato and broccoli ?? )

Desserts look fantastic... I think I may just order all of them and skip the other courses.

I think you'll love anything you try. Just pick and enjoy. There is a smoked chicken dish but I don't think it was on my latest version of the menu.

My favs so far are the liverwurst (I HATE any kind of liver but for some reason love this), shrimp hushpuppies (shrimpy fried goodness), the deviled eggs, PORK CHOP from the almighty himself with collards and grits, the beef tartar (when my fancy side needs a little something good), the lamb, and, of course, a little pork sandwich with a whole lot of Willy B love. :mrgreen:

barfly
05-28-2007, 06:12 AM
looks outstanding clint, my mouth is watering just reading the menu! best of luck to your brother... we'll swing by as soon as we can line up a baby sitter.