PDA

View Full Version : Big Apple BBQ Block Party (6/9-10) NYC

motoeric
05-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi,

Is anyone planning on attending this event?

Has anyone been there in the past? Would your recommend it?

Eric

Sledneck
05-15-2007, 09:35 PM
very loooooooooooooooong lines i wouldnt recommend

BBQchef33
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
i think vinney and I may be cooking there. :)

RichardF
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Go the night before and don not be shy. Walk up and say hello. Most of the guys doing the event love the attention. The one caveat is if they look really busy, don't be a pest :smile:

i think vinney and I may be cooking there. :) With Robbie and Hill Country???

Sledneck
05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Go the night before and don not be shy. Walk up and say hello. Most of the guys doing the event love the attention. The one caveat is if they look really busy, don't be a pest :smile:

With Robbie and Hill Country???
some white sauce guy

Sledneck
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
so the rest know what ur all talkin about http://www.bigapplebbq.org/

RichardF
05-15-2007, 10:18 PM
some white sauce guy
Oh - One of the out of town crowd. Your new best friend (because you can cook eggs on a grill) Chris Lilly. Great guy - Has he hit you up to use your smoker yet :wink:

motoeric
05-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Phil,

That's pretty cool. When will you know for sure?

Are the prices reasonable?

Eric

MilitantSquatter
05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
i think vinney and I may be cooking there. :)

Phil - If you want go to cook or hang out, I can go for Friday Night / Saturday. I have my neice's baptism on Sunday so I need to be back home by Sat. evening.

I last left off with Chris Lilly that I would let him know a few weeks before if I could make it and if you planned to come as well.

Just not sure I really want to work like a dog all day for nothing... Could be really hot and the lines of people are not appealing to me. Might rather want to take him up on his invite to just stop in and hang out..

Let me know.

BBQchef33
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM
im in.. whatever u want.. hang for a bit.. help out where we could.

MilitantSquatter
05-15-2007, 10:55 PM

OK... check your e-mail.. I copied you on the note I sent to Chris.

Eric - The lines are long and it's NYC so the prices are not cheap.. be prepared to wait, buy the Bubba Fast Pass or even better - stop by to check out the event, socialize and then head over to RUB or Daisy May's for lunch or dinner and save yourself the waiting on line altogether.

Sledneck
05-16-2007, 08:52 PM
OK... check your e-mail.. I copied you on the note I sent to Chris.

Eric - The lines are long and it's NYC so the prices are not cheap.. be prepared to wait, buy the Bubba Fast Pass or even better - stop by to check out the event, socialize and then head over to RUB or Daisy May's for lunch or dinner and save yourself the waiting on line altogether.
that sounds good

nancee
06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
so who is going to go to this mess? Anyone? If so, whe y'all going? thanks
nancee

SmokeInDaEye
06-08-2007, 02:01 PM
so who is going to go to this mess? Anyone? If so, whe y'all going? thanks
nancee

I'm definitely staying away this weekend but may swing by the park this evening on my way home to see if anyone is setting up.

RichardF
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Hill Country opens tonight - Swing by and have some of their soon to be world famous sausage.

SmokeInDaEye
06-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Just stopped by. That thing is HUGE. 30 or so tents in the park, stages, etc. plus a row of rigs down Madison Avenue between 24th & 23rd Streets. I saw Chris's setup but he wasn't around and said hi to some friends from Ubon (home of the world's best prime rib sandwich). Tried to buy some raw Elgin-style sausage from Southside Market but no dice.

backyardchef
06-09-2007, 06:52 AM
If anybody's in the area, stop by the Hill Country tent on 26th just off 5th. We're between Rack and Soul and the Brunswick Stew crew... The restaurant opened last night and was pretty bustling by the time we left around 6:30 or so.

Sorry this pic is so huge, but this is the brisket from H.C. last night. It's less blurry in real life, but damn is it good....

About 2 hours sleep last night and now off to the show again....

backyardchef
06-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Saw Militant Squatter cooking with Chris Lilly. He was looking calm, cool and collected. Said the lines seemed to be moving better this year. I heard that a few times today.

A few former brethren were floating around, too.

Large Marge looked great in the city and got some nice comments from the public, which is sweet considering she was next to all those giant Ole Hickorys and whatnot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/BackyardChef/5th%20annual%20big%20apple%20bbq%20block%20party/DSC05065.jpg

SmokeInDaEye
06-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Saw Militant Squatter cooking with Chris Lilly. He was looking calm, cool and collected. Said the lines seemed to be moving better this year. I heard that a few times today.

A few former brethren were floating around, too.

Large Marge looked great in the city and got some nice comments from the public, which is sweet considering she was next to all those giant Ole Hickorys and whatnot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/BackyardChef/5th%20annual%20big%20apple%20bbq%20block%20party/DSC05065.jpg

Looking sweet, Matt! Wish I could make it into the city to check it out.

MilitantSquatter
06-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Matt - that Meadow Creek fit in just perfectly...

I posted my cooking review in Q talk for others to see with some pics but here are some general event pictures.

The event seemed to be a huge success... Good weather, large crowd (even for NYC), good music, etc. Lines seemed to be moving smoothly.. I think they had to be better as there were more BBQ guys vending. Our group routinely asked customers on our line for Big Bob Gibsons as they walked past the pits we were working and avg. response was 15 minutes.. Everyone seemed happy. There was a ton of hired help for the event that assisted each team with the serving and handling the cash etc.

Fod I sampled aside from the pork shoulders we cooked as follows: All were excellent and top quality... no complaints on any. Ate like a pig in chit all day.

Mike Mills babyback ribs
Southside Market's - Elgin Hot Guts Sausage & Brisket
Ubon's Choice - pulled pork
Hill Country - Beef ribs

Met a ton a great people for the first time from around the country and saw familar faces too from contests too.

I would have stayed longer to cook overnight and into tomorrows event as well but but I have a family party to attend in the morning.

PS - note the car picture.... Some farkin stupid NY'er left their car in the middle of Madison Ave where the crowd lines were to be in front of Ubon's. Sat there for a few hours until NYPD got involved and the car was gone about 30 minutes before lines started forming..

PS - Early in the AM before anything is really going on and no crowds have gathered...one woman yelled at me when she saw this event and heard it was "just for BBQ ??"
She said to me "You know,BBQ is horrible for your health" I said "anything in moderation is OK"..
She replies " We'll I guess you're not a cardiologist"... So now I'm pissed "and I say BBQ is not for everybody and you don't have to eat it, it will make you fatter than you already are". She made a face of disgust and walked away.

WannaBeBBQueen
06-10-2007, 06:47 AM
PS - Early in the AM before anything is really going on and no crowds have gathered...one woman yelled at me when she saw this event and heard it was "just for BBQ ??"
She said to me "You know,BBQ is horrible for your health" I said "anything in moderation is OK"..
She replies " We'll I guess you're not a cardiologist"... So now I'm pissed "and I say BBQ is not for everybody and you don't have to eat it, it will make you fatter than you already are". She made a face of disgust and walked away.[/quote]

ROTFLMAO!! Good for you, can't believe you said that too her!! lol

Gotta watch out for those quiet guys:mrgreen:

MilitantSquatter
06-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Oh yeah... one more great story... get ready for this...

A young Asian guy walks up to me around 8:30AM as we are just doing some organizing... He asks me a ton of questions in rapid fire succession :

"Are you the pitmaster of this enterprise ?"
"Would a young pitmaster like your self be willing to come on board to join a BBQ adventure that is gonna blow the farking pants of of New Jersey barbeque ? "
"I'm looking to open a place in Ft. Lee NJ that will put all NYC BBQ to shame"

Here's the kicker - " I've got backers to bankroll this... My parents own a successful dry cleaning business and we're ready to shut the doors down and invest all the money into giving the public the best farking BBQ this region has ever seen"

I tell him I'm not intersted.. He then wants to know if I can introduce him to some of the other pitmasters at this event to see if any of them would jump ship from their current restaurants to run the show at his start up.

Then he tells me he needs a pitmaster that he can get along with because as "head of the house" managing the operation he needs to be assured the pitmaster can run the show and that there is no personality conflict because he'll "go farking ballastic if things don't go right..I'm a perfectionist". I've visited Neely's BBQ and that place is top notch... but we're gonna give people a whole new reason to come to NJ.

This guy was farking crazy..... it went on for five more minutes cause no one else was around except a few of us on the trailer. He then attempted to go under the tape surrounding us and wanted to see the pits in action to see if the Jedmaster was the type of pit that could suit his needs to make great BBQ.

nancee
06-10-2007, 11:01 AM
OK, I am an idiot but aI can't resist...we are heading into this CF now...
Any brethren kicking around, I am wearing a NEBS Tshirt and possibly a jack sweatshirt. If it is as bad as I think, we'll just go hang out with Andrew and Scott...
nancee

Looking sweet, Matt! Wish I could make it into the city to check it out.