PDA

View Full Version : The first competition down, whens the next?

jtfisher63
05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
This weekend was our first competition and it went well. It was the competiton in Modesto, Ca. We placed 5th in brisket and 17th overall with 38 teams total. We are all very pleased with the results. QN4U won GC and Asleep at the grill was the RGC. Overall it was a great time had by all. We are very much looking forward to the next contest. I'll try to get some pics posted later tonight or tomorrow.
Jason.

Pig Headed
05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Congrats on the first comp and finish. Hope you had some fun. Keep up the hard work.

Lakeside Smoker
05-07-2007, 12:29 PM
5th place over 38 teams!! Great first time out man! Keep it up.

jtfisher63
05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Yeah, it looks like the next comp is July 1st for us in San Jose. I can't wait. We've got the bug for sure.

Mooner
05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Nice job on your placement. Someone once told me that even if you don't win as long as you can stay in the top 50% your a professional and deserve to be there. I like that statement....lol

Bentley
05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
5th in brisket at Modesto is huge for a 1st time competition, chit is is a great score for your 25th competition! 17th overall is Outstanding too, I know who was competing there and it is some of the best BBQ'ers in CA, if not all of them! Way to go, we wont be at Farfield or The Pit(San Jose), but hope to compete against you at Clovis in September!

P.S. There were 14 teams in the first contest I competed in and I think I got 21st in Brisket! :icon_blush:

Bigmista
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Sounds like you did a great job to me. Keep it up!

jtfisher63
05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
We hope to be competing at San Jose, Fairfield and Clovis. Coming up with the scratch is another story.:icon_smil Either way, we will be competing again, hopefully sooner than later.

The_Kapn
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Jason--
You came out of the gate running!
Great Job.
Proud of you.

TIM

chad
05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Good job! Take what you learned and apply it to the next one...good luck!!

Harbormaster
05-08-2007, 01:18 PM
That's pretty darn good for first time out, congratulations!. My expectations for my first comp are a little lower, I just don't want to finish last in any category.

jtfisher63
05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
We were going for the same thing. As long as we didn't place 38th out of 38 we were going to be happy. Well, needless to say we ended up very happy.

It's funny how much a person can learn from these forums. A year ago I didn't even own a smoker! Now we seem to put out some good Q, with lots of research on forums. Thanks.:grin:

bigmeatbbq
05-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Last summer was my first official year going to cook-offs. All were backyard events,gotta learn to crawl before you walk. I was in 4 last year and placed in all four. Got a 1st place even in one with my shoulder.
Just wanted all to know that this is one of the funnest things I've ever done. Sold my golf clubs on ebay this past winter. Devoting the whole summer to perfecting my BBQ skills. I'm located in west-central Illinois and was wondering if there are any small events in eastern Iowa or Illinois that I don't know about. Was on the IBS sites and found some. Any help would be appreciated.