PDA

View Full Version : New comp this July 13-14 in Dayton (Kettering), Ohio

cmcadams
05-07-2007, 11:14 AM
There will be a competition this July 13-14 in Dayton (Kettering), Ohio.

This is non-sanctioned, but they hope to have it sanctioned next year. They're going by KCBS rules with the exception of allowing any time of cooker desired, gas, electric, wood or charcoal.

Entry fees are only $100, with 100% payout. If you're close, it should be fun. The guys putting this on are really great guys, and it's at an American Legion, with lots of trees and grass. It's also about 15 minutes from my house!

http://www.rollingsmoke.com/ohioopen.htm

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-08-2007, 06:25 PM
are you entering? i have a wedding in cincy on saturday the 14th otherwise, i'd go down there and watch at least... maybe burn some meat. i work with jimmy's hog pen.

cmcadams
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Rick, we may have met if you do stuff with Jimmy. :) Yes, we're entering. It's the same weekend as Grand Rapids, which we'd only do because my teammate has family there, but 15 minutes from home is much better than 6 hours! I can actually go home to get some sleep, and if I forget something, I can send someone to get it! We'll be able to try out a more minimalist approach.

If you talk to Jimmy, tell him to send me an email! I haven't heard from him in months.

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-09-2007, 07:06 PM
hahaa. i work with him in real life, not bbq life! :biggrin:

i told him to email ya

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-09-2007, 08:17 PM
hey bucky, i didn't see your name on the list, but i saw big z's fine swine!

i'll be up there on friday to meet whoever's there. i really want to meet dave of ribs & bibs

cmcadams
07-09-2007, 10:58 PM
We're not listed yet, but we'll be there... I just checked with Jim today... We'll be over Thursday getting our site, then bring everything over Friday

It's great having a comp 15 minutes from the house!

ZBQ
07-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Yup, thats going to be my 1st comp and I am nervous as all get out!!:eek:

Not sure when I will be getting in on Friday but I am hoping around noon. I said HOPING.:roll:

Would love to meet you Rick:-D.

Curt, I think I might have met you at the Nelsonville comp a couple of years ago but it was dark and well....I'd had a couple of pops with the foam on top too!!:wink:

Still trying to get things ready.:roll:

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Cool! see you guys up there on friday after 5. i'll be the one with the camera :biggrin:

cmcadams
07-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Don't worry so much. :) It's going to be good. And you'll have fun.

ZBQ
07-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Don't worry so much. :) It's going to be good. And you'll have fun.

I know. Thats what everyone says.

Easier said than done!!:lol:

Biggest WORRY is that I will embarass myself with the brisket......

My major stumbling block right now is only having one WSM to cook everything on. Bringing the OTG as well. I have been asking around to see if there was anyone willing to let me borrow their WSM for a couple of days but no leads as of yet.:roll:

What's the weather supposed to be like?

cmcadams
07-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Weather is basically good... 30% chance of rain on Friday, no rain Saturday, with highs in the low 80's, humidity shouldn't be bad.

ZBQ
07-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Awsome!!:-D Gotta go get some stuff ready.......

Weather is basically good... 30% chance of rain on Friday, no rain Saturday, with highs in the low 80's, humidity shouldn't be bad.

bbqbull
07-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Curt, good luck to you and your team. Thinking im half tempted to drive down and hand out. But also thinking of driving to G.Rapids and meet tonto and others.
If the weather is chitty here and they were calling for rain on Saturday, may just stay home and enjoy the A/C.

Just want everybody whose doing comps this weekend to enjoy yourselves and keep hydrated.

cmcadams
07-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Mike, if you decide to take a drive this way, you know you're always welcome at my site! I'm just praying the weather is good... But I'll have fun either way!

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-14-2007, 11:20 AM
here's a few pix from last night at the first ohio open!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/ohioopen2006-002.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/ohioopen2006-004.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/ohioopen2006-003.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/ohioopen2006-005.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/ohioopen2006-006.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/ohioopen2006-001.jpg

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Huff BBQ, the only egger using eggs in the comp of 16 entries did pretty well with
1st in ribs
2nd in brisket
7th in pork
3rd overall

dave stamper (an egger) of ribs & bibs was grand champion and first in brisket

cmcadams
07-15-2007, 05:03 PM
The comp was fun... judging was really inconsistent, but that was expected. The main point of the comp was to support a new, local comp so that next year will be sanctioned.

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-21-2007, 05:41 AM
The comp was fun... judging was really inconsistent, but that was expected. The main point of the comp was to support a new, local comp so that next year will be sanctioned.

i talked to jimmy yesterday and he said they are sanctioned for 08! this will be my first comp :biggrin:

Ford
12-21-2007, 07:05 AM
July 18-19. It's on my calendar.

tonto1117
12-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Sounds like we will be there as well.:wink:

chinesebob
12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
I won't be cooking for it, but I'll be there for Friday/Saturday Visits. I have a release at work that I have to be at Saturday night through Sunday morning. It'll be nice to meet everyone that shows.

Big Mike
12-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I'll be there as well.

It was a good time last year. My team name changed after that comp, I was Big Mike's BBQ last year.

RTD, you will have fun. It was my first comp also. I don't remember you taking that pic of me on the previous page. I'm the one with the Stumps.

Bbq Bubba
12-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Just put it on the calendar!!!:biggrin:

cmcadams
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
We'll be there, trying to better our finish from last year.

acorette
12-22-2007, 06:44 AM
I wouldn't mind trying this one... It would be my second. I have a few I want to do next year, but the dates aren't looking good for many of them. This one might work out for me. I'll put it down on the calendar and hope to see you all!

smokeandbeer
12-22-2007, 07:01 AM
That's right here in my backyard too! I don't know if I will compete, but I will definately be there.

Big Mike
12-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Everyone that is putting it on their calendar, the dates for 2008 are

July 18-19.

tonto1117
12-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Everyone that is putting it on their calendar, the dates for 2008 are

July 18-19.

Was wondering if they can accomadate a 37ft motorhome with smoker in tow. Also any water, electric...ect????

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Was wondering if they can accomadate a 37ft motorhome with smoker in tow. Also any water, electric...ect????

i'm planning on taking my 34' UAV (urban assault vehicle!). the grounds is a park like setting with a lot of shade trees. they had at least one huge generator and water buffalos last year. the legion post is open during the comp with cash bar and restrooms. email jimmy or jimmy with questions. (email addys are on the KCBS event page). several stores nearby: krogers, sam's, dorothy lane market...

Ohio Veteran Barbecue Cookoff (http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/)
(not much on the website yet)

Big Mike
12-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Yea he just got the domain not too long ago. He will be adding to it soon. He at least wanted to get the front page up for folks.

Tonto, I imagine they can fit you in there. You may want to arrive on Thursday night though. We only had 16 teams last year so we had plenty of room to spread out but I think this year we will have a considerable amount more of teams. I'd go ahead and give Jim Ferguson a shout just to make sure.

Like RTD said, we had large generators and a water buffalo last year.

Big Mike
12-22-2007, 11:45 AM
That's right here in my backyard too! I don't know if I will compete, but I will definately be there.

Where's your backyard?

tonto1117
12-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Yea he just got the domain not too long ago. He will be adding to it soon. He at least wanted to get the front page up for folks.

Tonto, I imagine they can fit you in there. You may want to arrive on Thursday night though. We only had 16 teams last year so we had plenty of room to spread out but I think this year we will have a considerable amount more of teams. I'd go ahead and give Jim Ferguson a shout just to make sure.

Like RTD said, we had large generators and a water buffalo last year.

Thanks Rick and Mike. I will give Jim a call after the holiday's.:wink:

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Where's your backyard?

i was wondering that too cause i grew up very close to the comp site. i live about 15 minutes away now and have plenty of room for rv's and campers at my house............

cmcadams
12-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I think the Ohio comps are going to get together to promote next year's comps in Dayton, Cincy and Nelsonville.. I'll probably be involved somehow with it, and let people know what's going on.

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I think the Ohio comps are going to get together to promote next year's comps in Dayton, Cincy and Nelsonville.. I'll probably be involved somehow with it, and let people know what's going on.

so is jim dandy doing it again in 08? i didn't see it on the kcbs event schedule.

sounds good though. nothing like learning under fire at three local comps! :biggrin:

chinesebob
12-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Curt,

If you are involved and need help, please ask.

cmcadams
12-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Rick, I think Jim has to have the Jim Dandy comp... If you're named Jim and are in barbecue in Ohio, I think you have to have one by law now. :)

Bob, no worries, I'm sure as we get closer, I'll be asking for help. Thanks.

tonto1117
12-24-2007, 06:47 AM

We will head your way for the comps this year Curt...if you come visit the in-laws in GR for the TOGR this year..:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Heck ya'll can stay here if ya'll want to:wink:.

michiana mark
12-24-2007, 07:36 AM

If your'e going, I may just have to show up.

Bbq Bubba
12-24-2007, 08:49 AM
If your'e going, I may just have to show up.
I was expecting that!!!:cool::biggrin:
Pay-back time!!!

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
i talked to jimmy yesterday and he said they are sanctioned for 08! this will be my first comp :biggrin:

Thanks for bumping this thread Rick. We got the official word from KCBS last week that we are sanctioned for July 18-19, 2008 and we are also a qualifier. Glad to see that you'll be able to cook next year and I'm sure Dennis will appreciate the egg to egg competition.

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
July 18-19. It's on my calendar.

Glad to see you will be there Ford and we'll make sure that you don't get "Carmelized" if it rains.

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 09:34 AM

I hadn't forgot about you Tonto. I know we talked about this back in October and we're counting on the Scotsman being there.

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks for bumping this thread Rick. We got the official word from KCBS last week that we are sanctioned for July 18-19, 2008 and we are also a qualifier. Glad to see that you'll be able to cook next year and I'm sure Dennis will appreciate the egg to egg competition.

hey look! it's a jim! :biggrin:

my prediction for the first annual veterans barbecue cookoff final results:

old dave
rick's tropical delight
huff bbq

hahahahahahaha! *cough*

:icon_clown

Bbq Bubba
12-24-2007, 11:23 AM

old dave
rick's tropical delight
huff bbq

hahahahahahaha! *cough*

Cough cough..............let the smack talk begin!!!:cool::biggrin:

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 12:19 PM
I'll be there as well.

It was a good time last year. My team name changed after that comp, I was Big Mike's BBQ last year.

RTD, you will have fun. It was my first comp also. I don't remember you taking that pic of me on the previous page. I'm the one with the Stumps.

You had damn well better be there:-P

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 12:20 PM

Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the Scotsman.

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 12:22 PM
We'll be there, trying to better our finish from last year.

unless Mark has to work:-P

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 12:26 PM

We can handle the 37' rig Tonto. As for electric, we'll have generators but those with their own generators are encouraged to bring them. Like Rick said, we will have buffs onsite which means you will need to carry what water you need.

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Ohio Veteran Barbecue Cookoff (http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/)
(not much on the website yet)

Now that sanctioning has been approved, I will populate the website so bookmark it and keep checking back.

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Rick, I think Jim has to have the Jim Dandy comp... If you're named Jim and are in barbecue in Ohio, I think you have to have one by law now. :)

Bob, no worries, I'm sure as we get closer, I'll be asking for help. Thanks.

Rolling Smoke
12-24-2007, 12:53 PM

old dave
rick's tropical delight
huff bbq

hahahahahahaha! *cough*

Yep, been up to my ( )( ) in cooking and didn't know you had bumped the thread until Mike told me earlier so I thought I would check in and see if the field was filled yet. Getting ready to go see Jimmy and have a couple then on to the inlaws for Christmas eve. Thanks again for bumping this. Looks like next year is going to be better than last year.

Big Mike
12-24-2007, 01:48 PM

old dave
rick's tropical delight
huff bbq

hahahahahahaha! *cough*

Eagle River Barbecue may have something to say about this prediction.

Big Mike
12-24-2007, 01:59 PM
You had damn well better be there:-P

Yea, yea I know. Don't worry, I will be there. I must defend our house.

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Eagle River Barbecue may have something to say about this prediction.

yeah, yeah, i know. just talkin smack :biggrin:

i gots lots of practicing to do between now and then. my goal is to not come in last

it'll be hard to beat old dave though :wink:

hey jim, need a band for this shindig? check out my brother's band here (http://www.whiterabbitband.com/) ...
maybe you can talk them into playing friday night

Big Mike
12-25-2007, 10:00 AM
yea, I know. Wouldn't be no fun without a bit of smack talk.:lol:

Old Dave is always tough to beat.

cmcadams
12-25-2007, 03:59 PM

I'll be there whether he has to work or not. :)

Rolling Smoke
12-26-2007, 08:08 AM
hey jim, need a band for this shindig? check out my brother's band here (http://www.whiterabbitband.com/) ...
maybe you can talk them into playing friday night

I think we have one lined up for either Friday or Saturday but can't remember what Jimmy told me. I checked out the website. I like the songlist and demo. What kind of following do they have?

michiana mark
12-26-2007, 08:12 AM
I was expecting that!!!:cool::biggrin:
Pay-back time!!!

no smack, I just want to be able to tell my grandchidren, I was there when The Smokin Scotsmen got their call in brisket.

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-26-2007, 08:22 AM
I think we have one lined up for either Friday or Saturday but can't remember what Jimmy told me. I checked out the website. I like the songlist and demo. What kind of following do they have?

you can check them out this friday, 28 dec at hank's on patterson. much better live than that demo shows. hank's is pretty much their 'home' bar and they have a lot of loyal fans from there that follow them everywhere.

anyway, just thought i'd throw that out there... not trying to influence the judges in anyway! :biggrin::biggrin: i'm gonna need all the help i can get