PDA

View Full Version : Present Day BBQ Meccas?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-29-2007, 07:15 AM
I have read about the traditional BBQ Meccas for at least 25 years - Texas, Kansas City, Memphis and North Carolina.

It occurs to me that the internet, and boards like BBQ-Bretheren in particular, have done a wonderful job of spreading the knowledge of what great Q is, and how to accomplish it. So it makes sense that new Hot Spots are evolving or have already evolved.

For instance, there are now some excellent BBQ joints in the New York City as well as the Boston areas. And then there is the concentration of Brethern on Long Island. Regional BBQ societies, such as the NEBS, have sprung up and are doing great work.

The number of sanctioned competetions has exploded over the past 25 years.

So my questions are these. "Where are the present day BBQ Meccas? Do all of the old ones still belong in the list?

Sledneck
04-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Bayshore NY........we have smokin als

rookiedad
04-29-2007, 09:16 PM
i think that to truely be a mecca a place must have not only a concentration of places, but also a distinguishing style. we got alot of places now in new york and long island area and even in the whole northeast, but i don't think we have a distinguishing style, however if there is something that is specifically northeast in nature that someone knows of, please tell. (except of course for the fact that most of it (excluding Willie B's) is crappy).

phil

WineMaster
04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
New York will never be a BBQ Mecca.
UNLESS Steinbrenner wants it to be, Then he'll just buy up all the Legendary Joints and make it one.
God I hate the Yankees!

rbsnwngs
04-30-2007, 07:30 AM

that really hurts

Westexbbq
04-30-2007, 08:36 AM

Dang,
beat me to it.
Nice shootin' sled.

Pyle's BBQ