PDA

View Full Version : Brethren Only Comp 'Willie-Pallooza'

Pages : [1] 2

motoeric
04-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Willie-Pallooza 2007, a Brethren only bbq contest, will be held on July 21st and 22nd.

Set up will commence at 5:00pm on Saturday.

The event will be held at 222 Fifth Avenue, Bayshore, NY.

All 12 competitor slots have been spoken for. They will be confirmed upon payment. If payment is not received by June 1, the slot will be reopened for other competitors.

The categories will be ribs, brisket, pork and chicken. Cash prizes will be awarded.

Confirmed as competitors and volunteers for the judging area are:

COMPETITORS:

I Like Smoke and Lightning
Primal Meat Smokers
Q-Haven
Brothers in Smoke
Smoke in da Eye
The Anchormen
The Swamp Pit
Babylon GrillBillies
Team Big Barry (Barry Poppins)
The Croatian Sensation
Team Backyard Chef
Cues Your Daddy

JUDGES:

Wes
Vinny
Michelle
Guy
Gary
Sean Keever
Eric
DJ Marko
Walter Ejnes

There will be a Saturday evening informal judging class.

Event handbooks are available upon request from saberinc@optonline.net

Judging software is needed. If anyone has software that they can offer, please contact me asap.

There will be a communal breakfast Sunday morning.

Please let me know if you need information on local hotels/motels.

If anyone is interested in attending from out of the area, please let me know and I will be happy to help with information on airports and trains.

Lot assignments (20*20) are being assigned now on a first come, first serve basis. Willie B, Poobah and Barry Poppins have their lots assigned.

If interested, you can get a great view of the comp area via Google Earth.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. More importantly, please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Eric

Sledneck
04-27-2007, 03:37 AM
How do i get a lot assignment? It

WannaBeBBQueen
04-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Ditto can I get my lot assignment too?

SmokeInDaEye
04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Do you all know if the two LI-based judges Vinny, Sled and I met last weekend reached out about judging?

I need a spot too. Preferably away from BYC. He cheats.

Cabrito
04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Do you all know if the two LI-based judges Vinny, Sled and I met last weekend reached out about judging?

I need a spot too. Preferably away from BYC. He cheats.

Are you referring to the 2 judges at Pork in the Park? I am one of them and I have already contacted Eric about judging (my friend Mike as well). I also put together a spreadsheet similar to the one used by KCBS that automatically tallies the weighted scores, dropping the lowest, etc. - I read on an earlier posting that you guys needed one. Who should I send that to?

Walter

MilitantSquatter
04-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Welcome Walter !!! Yes.. Clint is referring to you and Mike ... You met the three of us in Salisbury...

(When ya gonna check into Cattle Call ??)

rbsnwngs
04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
you can send it to me

motoeric
04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I received the software. Thank you! I'll mess around with it this weekend to familiarize myself.

Eric

motoeric
04-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi,

Tentative lot assignments have been made. You can view them in the newly modified event booklet. You can email me (saberinc@optonline.net) for a copy or d/l it from:

http://rapidshare.com/files/28313773/WilliePalloozza_2007.doc

Will needs to have your payment, details and waiver of liability asap. Details are in the booklet.

Thanks,

Eric

Sledneck
04-28-2007, 03:44 AM
Hi,

Tentative lot assignments have been made. You can view them in the newly modified event booklet. You can email me (saberinc@optonline.net) for a copy or d/l it from:

http://rapidshare.com/files/28313773/WilliePalloozza_2007.doc

Will needs to have your payment, details and waiver of liability asap. Details are in the booklet.

Thanks,

Eric

the download worked but the graphics didnt

Sledneck
04-28-2007, 04:09 AM
What about a kids q?

cmcadams
04-28-2007, 09:06 AM
What time is judging? I'm trying to decide if I can be there or not, either to judge if judges are needed, or to help cook if anyone wants the help.

SmokeInDaEye
04-28-2007, 09:12 AM
What time is judging? I'm trying to decide if I can be there or not, either to judge if judges are needed, or to help cook if anyone wants the help.

You're welcome to come join me and Wine&Swine. Love to have you!

motoeric
04-28-2007, 02:23 PM
the download worked but the graphics didnt

Shoot me an email at saberinc@optonline.net and I'll reply with the booklet.

Eric

motoeric
04-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Hello!

Quick question for you experienced judges.

Willy-Pallooza will have 12 competitors.

Would the following be reasonable for volunteers in the judging area?

2 tables of 6 judges each
2 table captains
2 volunteers for recording data, numbering containers, general assistance

Total of 16 people.

Does this sound right? And is that a reasonable ratio? 1 general volunteer per 6 judges to keep things flowing?

Thanks,

Eric

Cabrito
04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Hello!

2 tables of 6 judges each
2 table captains
2 volunteers for recording data, numbering containers, general assistance

Total of 16 people.

Does this sound right? And is that a reasonable ratio? 1 general volunteer per 6 judges to keep things flowing?

Thanks,

Eric

This sound right. The 2 volunteers should be responsible for the turn in table, relabel the turn-in containers and hand them to the table captains who will bring them to the judges.

Besides the table captains, there are usually KCBS reps on hand who run the show and coordinate the turn-in volunteers. They are also the ones that the captains go to in case of any controversy or issue that may lead to disqualification (pooling, object in food, wrong type of garnish in container, etc.). Since this is not a sanctioned event, you might just give the captains this level of authority. I would recommend making the most experienced of the judges Captains in this case.

Walter

motoeric
04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks Walter!

I appreciate the input.

Eric

cmcadams
04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
You're welcome to come join me and Wine&Swine. Love to have you!
After John's help in setting up tonight's dinner for me and my wife's 4th anniversary, I'd be glad to work with you guys, if I can make it.

Cabrito
04-28-2007, 10:16 PM
You guys will also need judging slips and placemats. Unless someone can get their hands on real KCBS slips and placemats, we can probably design something easily. Just need to get enough printed for the competition.

motoeric
04-28-2007, 10:32 PM
You guys will also need judging slips and placemats. Unless someone can get their hands on real KCBS slips and placemats, we can probably design something easily. Just need to get enough printed for the competition.

Good point. I would prefer to use a facsimile, as using the KCBS materials for a non-KCBS event might tick someone off.

I'll check with Willie and see what he has to say.

Eric

Cabrito
04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Good point. I would prefer to use a facsimile, as using the KCBS materials for a non-KCBS event might tick someone off.

I'll check with Willie and see what he has to say.

Eric

It should be easy enough to recreate the KCBS materials - just by switching the title and logo. I also had a thought about feedback. In any KCBS comp, the competitors never get real insight about why they received the scores they received. At the judges table, we can discuss our opinions only after the score cards are turned in- sometimes we are all in agreement and sometimes not. But the competitors never get real feedback that can help them improve the next time. Since this is an unsanctioned event, you should consider asking the judges to mark down a few quick remarks on a seperate sheet that can later be shared with the team. This competition is small enough to keep this manageable. And as long as we keep it "blind" the judges probably wouldn't mind. How often do you get a chance to know what the judges were thinking?

Walter

Sledneck
04-29-2007, 11:31 AM
It should be easy enough to recreate the KCBS materials - just by switching the title and logo. I also had a thought about feedback. In any KCBS comp, the competitors never get real insight about why they received the scores they received. At the judges table, we can discuss our opinions only after the score cards are turned in- sometimes we are all in agreement and sometimes not. But the competitors never get real feedback that can help them improve the next time. Since this is an unsanctioned event, you should consider asking the judges to mark down a few quick remarks on a seperate sheet that can later be shared with the team. This competition is small enough to keep this manageable. And as long as we keep it "blind" the judges probably wouldn't mind. How often do you get a chance to know what the judges were thinking?

Walter

I would lover that! I would love to get one that says mine really sucked! Seriously i think we all have thick enough skin to take it and i certainly would appreciate it

motoeric
04-29-2007, 12:24 PM
That's another excellent suggestion! Thanks.

I'll run that by Willie. As long as he's cool with it I don't see a problem.

Eric

rbsnwngs
04-29-2007, 12:38 PM
im fine with that but lets not make this to complicated

djmarko
04-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi guys & gals. I'm still in Va. Beach. My judging trip will end this Wed. 5/2. I judged Pork in the Park in Salisbury & the Smithfield Slammin BBQ in Norfolk. Also spending some quality time with family down here. I would be glad to help with the judging in any way that is needed. This is my 3rd year judging so I have a bunch of contests under my belt. Talk to you again after Wed.

motoeric
05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I want to take a moment to thank PlowBoy for his generous donation that will be included in the teams 'goodie bags'. We are trying to do this up right for the competitors while simultaneously giving back all the money in prize cash.

Sorta hard to do!

Rich, please pm me. We can absolutely use your expertise and acumen.

Eric

Bentley
05-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Looks like you have your scoring system? I am assuming you will not need the one I offered?

motoeric
05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Looks like you have your scoring system? I am assuming you will not need the one I offered?

I think we're good, but thanks! I appreciate the offer.

Eric

Bentley
05-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I think we're good, but thanks! I appreciate the offer.

Eric

No problem! Glad you got it covered!

Sledneck
05-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Rich, please pm me. We can absolutely use your expertise and acumen.

Eric

Im sure if you look up at the shelf on the back wall of willies kitchen you will find some between the rest of the spice up there

motoeric
05-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Oh, OK. Thanks. We have the acumen covered then. I think Will picked it up in bulk at Penzeys.

Eric

Westexbbq
05-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I hereby nominate DJmarko, aka Rich, to be one table captain since he has more acumen than I, (allegedly) but I can bring some extra San Antonio Red if that would help.

motoeric
05-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Rich has been kind enough to volunteer his services, and I am hoping to recruit him to lead the judging seminar the night before with Vinnie and to head up a table.

Eric

barfly
05-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Rich has been kind enough to volunteer his services, and I am hoping to recruit him to lead the judging seminar the night before with Vinnie and to head up a table.

Eric

Eric, do you have a list going on what we can bring other than our comp. gear to help with the logistics of the event, ie. ext. cords, lights, chairs that might ease the burden on lil' will? tents, tequila??

rbsnwngs
05-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Eric, do you have a list going on what we can bring other than our comp. gear to help with the logistics of the event, ie. ext. cords, lights, chairs that might ease the burden on lil' will? tents, tequila??

you just worry about cooking
i dont think we should drink during this comp remember i want to start taking this stuff seriously so we can better ourselves for future comps

The_Kapn
05-13-2007, 09:15 AM
i dont think we should drink during this comp remember i want to start taking this stuff seriously so we can better ourselves for future comps

This thread is a-fixin' to get interesting! :wink:

TIM

Sledneck
05-13-2007, 10:48 AM
copycat:biggrin:

motoeric
05-13-2007, 08:18 PM

I'll stop by Wills in a few days and try to get the logistical needs worked out. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll post as soon as we work it out.

Eric

motoeric
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi,

I wanted to announce that we are also receiving a very generous donation of Williams Grillin' Sauces to include in the competitors bags.

I'll keep everyone updated as we move along. We have a few other surprises coming our way.

Eric

Sledneck
05-13-2007, 10:09 PM
If you report the surprise it kinda loses the element of surprise,I like to open the bag not knowing whats in it .....ash-hole

motoeric
05-13-2007, 10:44 PM
If you report the surprise it kinda loses the element of surprise,I like to open the bag not knowing whats in it .....ash-hole

Did I say that I was going to announce all the surprises? Should I use smaller words or should you try to read slower?

Eric

Jorge
05-13-2007, 10:52 PM

:shock: :shock:

Sledneck
05-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Did I say that I was going to announce all the surprises? Should I use smaller words or should you try to read slower?

Eric
now you are definately not gonna get to use any of the power wheels vettes

motoeric
05-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Ok, now your located BEHIND the dumpsters.

Eric

barfly
05-14-2007, 05:26 AM

when you say "don't think we should drink" do you mean like gatorade, milk or water? enquiring minds.......

pigmaker23
05-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Moto Man, I will be bringing along two judges who are certified and have experience...

The Anchorman
05-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Moto Man, I will be bringing along two judges who are certified and have experience...
Pigmaker 23, Bob just called Guy Food Chris just told him that July 21 is the date for the gig for him. Get to Bob and me concerning this matter.
Ray

motoeric
05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi,

Just an update. I have announced a few of the things that we will have in the 'goodie bags'. We have a few surprises that I haven't mentioned yet (happy Sledneck?).

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding what they would like to see in such a bag, considering that almost 100 percent of the money is going BACK to the competitors, meaning the items need to be free or donated.

Any ideas will help!

Thanks,

Eric

Sledneck
05-15-2007, 09:32 PM
vodka

BBQchef33
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I want a Tee-shirt and if i dont get one i am going to complain for 6 months about it.

:twisted:

motoeric
05-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I want a Tee-shirt and if i dont get one i am going to complain for 6 months about it.

What size?

Eric

Yakfishingfool
05-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi,

Just an update. I have announced a few of the things that we will have in the 'goodie bags'. We have a few surprises that I haven't mentioned yet (happy Sledneck?).

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding what they would like to see in such a bag, considering that almost 100 percent of the money is going BACK to the competitors, meaning the items need to be free or donated.

Any ideas will help!

Thanks,

Eric

Get a hold of your local family planning center, got big jars of condoms FREE, yup, FREE!!! A couple of each flavor in a competitors bag....don't get better than that!!! Wonder if I can come down and just watch :) YFF

rbsnwngs
05-16-2007, 08:59 AM

if you complain enough maybe i wont have the event next year so take that

SmokeInDaEye
05-16-2007, 09:26 AM

I'll get you as many freaking tee-shirts as you need. They have "sample" written in blue ink on them but you can tell people that's your name.

I have some cases of Cattlemen's you call could use if you need them. I also have keychains, mints and other promo giftbag type stuff.

motoeric
05-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Clint,

That would be great. Please shoot me a pm or an email (saberinc@optonline.net) and let me know what you could spare.

Maybe we can change the name to "Sample Q" from "WilliePalooza". Then we could just have a 'Q' added to the shirt and be set. On the other hand, Phil didn't specify that the shirts had to be related to the event or that they had to be new, so I thought I would just throw one of my old tees in his bag.

Eric

I'll get you as many freaking tee-shirts as you need. They have "sample" written in blue ink on them but you can tell people that's your name.

I have some cases of Cattlemen's you call could use if you need them. I also have keychains, mints and other promo giftbag type stuff.

barfly
05-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Get a hold of your local family planning center, got big jars of condoms FREE, yup, FREE!!! A couple of each flavor in a competitors bag....don't get better than that!!! Wonder if I can come down and just watch :) YFF

FLAVOR?????

Never minds, I don't want to know.

spicewine
05-16-2007, 05:32 PM
I've got a bunch of shirts that say " I am the Man from Nantucket" :wink: 8-)

rbsnwngs
05-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I've got a bunch of shirts that say " I am the Man from Nantucket" :wink: 8-)

are they all xxxxxl

motoeric
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
btw, Happy Birthday Will!

I was going to stop by, but I wasn't feeling very well. I hope you had a great day.

Eric

Sledneck
05-16-2007, 08:46 PM
i want an embroidered brethrenm hat in my goodie bag

smokincracker
05-16-2007, 09:41 PM
are they all xxxxxl
He has 5X cause I have one.

Should I send up some "All Sauced Up AND Smoked Out" Smokin' Cracker Shirts.

rbsnwngs
05-17-2007, 05:55 AM

not to sound like a whore but we'll take anything thats free

Sledneck
05-17-2007, 02:58 PM

NO! i WANT TO BE THE ONLY ONE UP HERE WEARING ONE:biggrin:

rbsnwngs
05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
recived the first check today for Willie-Pallooza 2007

Primal Meat Smokers paid

Sledneck
05-23-2007, 07:02 PM
i should be getting mine in around july 20

rbsnwngs
05-23-2007, 07:55 PM
i should be getting mine in around july 20

just bring $115 worth of beer

Sledneck
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
deal

BBQ Grail
05-23-2007, 08:22 PM
So who will be setting up the official Brethren Webcam so those of us who can't attend can "participate" from a distance.

Westexbbq
05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
So who will be setting up the official Brethren Webcam so those of us who can't attend can "participate" from a distance.

I think RuPaul has that task assignment as well.

MrsBigBarry
05-23-2007, 09:54 PM

Would a webcam work?? :wink:

CTSmokehouse
05-23-2007, 11:39 PM
received the first check today for Willie-Pallooza 2007

Primal Meat Smokers paid

It's good Willie! Got extra sets of BBQ pants. Gonna lose the belt. Looking forward to seeing Willie B's in person. I'll bring you some really good beer too! May take the Silly Bus to get there!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Rumrunner
05-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Anybody know of any cook-offs in the Dallas/Ft Worth area coming up soon?

smokincracker
05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
OK you guys got me thinking! My wife is buggin me to take her some where this summer sooooooooo??!!???!!! Where would one fly-in to watch this fierce battle of smoke and flame? I’d like to invite my-self and check on some airline & hotel & car prices. Any room for a guest Florida Cracker judge.

BigBarry
05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
OK you guys got me thinking! My wife is buggin me to take her some where this summer sooooooooo??!!???!!! Where would one fly-in to watch this fierce battle of smoke and flame? Id like to invite my-self and check on some airline & hotel & car prices. Any room for a guest Florida Cracker judge.

Islip airport. Southwest flies in.

Plenty of hotels up near the expressway (15 min from Willie's)

rbsnwngs
05-24-2007, 12:58 PM
OK you guys got me thinking! My wife is buggin me to take her some where this summer sooooooooo??!!???!!! Where would one fly-in to watch this fierce battle of smoke and flame? Id like to invite my-self and check on some airline & hotel & car prices. Any room for a guest Florida Cracker judge.

do i see a sudo kidnapping in the future

Westexbbq
05-24-2007, 12:58 PM

Jimmy,

I am real close to the Islip/McArthur airport and would be glad to assist if need be.
(Check with Parrothead re the Westex airport shuttle service.)

Let us know how your plans shake out.
Look forward to seeing you.

Jorge
05-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Anybody know of any cook-offs in the Dallas/Ft Worth area coming up soon?

Check:
www.ibcabbq.org (http://www.ibcabbq.org)
www.lonestarbarbecue.com (http://www.lonestarbarbecue.com)

rbsnwngs
05-24-2007, 01:17 PM
new team

"I Like smokincracker bbq"

SmokeInDaEye
05-24-2007, 02:24 PM
new team

"I Like smokincracker bbq"

What do you need Jimmy for? You already have "Long Island Best Award Winning BBQ".

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o189/motoeric/100_0890.jpg

rbsnwngs
05-25-2007, 05:54 AM
I want to say i'm sorry to julie wannbqueen because it turns out Swamp pit was the first team to pay. I must have been drunk on that day because i dont remember taking her money.
julie i am sorry 2 teams paid

Swamp pit bbq
Primal meat smokers

WannaBeBBQueen
05-26-2007, 07:09 AM
I want to say i'm sorry to julie wannbqueen because it turns out Swamp pit was the first team to pay. I must have been drunk on that day because i dont remember taking her money.
julie i am sorry 2 teams paid

Swamp pit bbq
Primal meat smokers

Will drinking? imagine that, just can't picture it or maybe I can...just as long as we understand that I was first! lol

All is forgiven:mrgreen:

Sledneck
05-28-2007, 08:41 AM
I might have to withdraw from this event. I notice we only have 12 teams. I will not accept a 12th in chicken. Unless you find a 13th team im out.It would be against my beliefs to place in any othe spot than 13th. Just my 13 cents

rbsnwngs
05-29-2007, 07:37 AM
we have had a team drop out of the comp so there is now a spot open contact me at the store 631-208-2580 after 11am
They said they have another comiment that weekend but i belive there just afraid to drink with me thats all i'm going to say about this person.

BBQchef33
05-29-2007, 07:39 AM
if i take up 2 spots, that will put him at 14th.

nancee
05-29-2007, 10:21 AM
We would definitely be interested if that space is still available.
thanks
nancee

we have had a team drop out of the comp so there is now a spot open contact me at the store 631-208-2580 after 11am
They said they have another comiment that weekend but i belive there just afraid to drink with me thats all i'm going to say about this person.

rbsnwngs
05-29-2007, 10:34 AM
We would definitely be interested if that space is still available.
thanks
nancee

you have it
just found out that another team might not be able to make it. whats with all these people afraid to drink with me i dont get it.

Q Haven
05-29-2007, 11:15 AM
FYI it was me that dropped out, and I drank with you at New Paltz last year. It was a little frightening for sure but now that I've done it once I'm not as scared....

rbsnwngs
05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
FYI it was me that dropped out, and I drank with you at New Paltz last year. It was a little frightening for sure but now that I've done it once I'm not as scared....

couldnt have been that bad your still alive
we will drink again in NH or New Paltz

Q Haven
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Looking forward to that! Can't wait for New Hampshire....

The Anchorman
05-30-2007, 03:17 PM
recived the first check today for Willie-Pallooza 2007

Primal Meat Smokers paid

Checks in the mail. Ray

motoeric
06-08-2007, 07:07 PM
There is currently one opening for WilliePalooza. If you would like to compete, have a good time and bone up on your skills, please let me know.

Here are the teams that have paid and therefor guaranteed a spot for themselves:

Primal Meat Smokers
I Like Smoke and Lightning
Babylon Grillbillies
The Swamp Pit

Payment is now past due for all other teams.

Please contact Will Breakstone regarding payment.

Thank you,

Eric

motoeric
06-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi,

The time is drawing nigh and the pigs are cowering in fear.

WilliePalooza is almost upon us.

There is currently one opening for a competitor and a few openings for judges.

If you are interested in just coming out and saying 'hi' (this is a Brethren event, after all) and need suggestions on hotels or directions, please feel free to drop me a line.

Thanks to fellow Brethren, we have scoring software and Phil has volunteered to bring a laptop and a printer. I'm sure that numerous people will bring digital cameras.

If anyone has mock-up scoring sheets that we could use, please email me a copy (saberinc@optonline.net). Thank you greatly!

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Eric

motoeric
06-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I would appreciate it if the people heading up the competition teams could do me a favor and send me (saberinc@optonline.net) a brief team bio that I could include in the onsite pamphlet.

If you have sent your payment to Will (meaning your definitely in), please shoot me a couple of paragraphs. Anything (within limits) that you want to include is fine.

Also, there is currently one open slot for a team if someone is interested.

Thank you!

Eric

PS Payment to Will is now PAST DUE.

motoeric
06-22-2007, 06:59 PM
There are two new categories for Willie-Palooza. There is NO FEE for these entries. Prizes will be awarded!

1) Turn in Saturday at 10:00 pm - Chili (any style)

2) Turn in Sunday at 4:00 pm - Freestyle

Thanks,

Eric

MilitantSquatter
06-22-2007, 07:22 PM
There are two new categories for Willie-Palooza. There is NO FEE for these entries. Prizes will be awarded!

1) Turn in Saturday at 10:00 pm - Chili (any style)

2) Turn in Sunday at 4:00 pm - Freestyle

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

A few questions

1) What are the official turn in times for the 4 main entries on Sunday ?
2) 4 PM seems kind of late for Freestyle (is this Chef's Choice or Anything Goes for Chili ??) entry on a Sunday ?
3) Who's gonna judge at 10PM for Chili ? People hanging out or the teams ?
4) Are all the teams paid up ? Last you noted only 4 teams paid... Just want to be sure that there are going to be enough teams actually competing to continue to block out Sunday afternoon to judge...

Thanks
Vinny

BBQchef33
06-22-2007, 07:45 PM
im not paid.. but i am in!. i promise i will pay up. :)

I'm also in for the chili comp.. so everyone else may as well just give up now. :twisted:

motoeric
06-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Answers to Vinny follow the questions:

1) What are the official turn in times for the 4 main entries on Sunday ?

I will post these tomorrow.

2) 4 PM seems kind of late for Freestyle (is this Chef's Choice or Anything Goes for Chili ??) entry on a Sunday ?

Please suggest a better time. We are very maliable and amenable to suggestions.

3) Who's gonna judge at 10PM for Chili ? People hanging out or the teams ?

Me and other hangers-about (nonCompetitors)

4) Are all the teams paid up ? Last you noted only 4 teams paid... Just want to be sure that there are going to be enough teams actually competing to continue to block out Sunday afternoon to judge...

That is a Will question and I will ask him to address it.

Eric

motoeric
06-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Vinny threatened me with bodily harm if I didn't get this posted right quick, so here it is:

Turn in times:
You may turn in your entry up to 5 minutes prior to the stated time

Chicken 11:30
Pork 12:30
Brisket 1:00
Ribs 1:30
Chefs Choice 2:30

Eric

MilitantSquatter
06-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the confirmation on turn in times Eric !!

Probably just a typo but to avoid confusion, & ensure consistency with KCBS, I think the chicken should be moved up to 12PM.

CTSmokehouse
06-23-2007, 06:36 AM
Hey Willie,

When is Pork Chop Turn in?!!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

rbsnwngs
06-23-2007, 07:27 AM
1:30

Westexbbq
06-23-2007, 08:45 AM
im not paid.. but i am in!. i promise i will pay up. :)

I'm also in for the chili comp.. so everyone else may as well just give up now. :twisted:

Can someone with nationally-recognized ICS cred and award recognition compete in this event?

motoeric
06-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Can someone with nationally-recognized ICS cred and award recognition compete in this event?

Sure. Do you know anyone?

Eric

motoeric
06-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the confirmation on turn in times Eric !!

Probably just a typo but to avoid confusion, & ensure consistency with KCBS, I think the chicken should be moved up to 12PM.

My thought was that if we gave ourselves an extra 1/2 hour with the first category it would give us time to iron out any difficulties that might crop up and give us a bit of experience.

As this is the first event we are running, I thought that a bit of a 'bumper' for the first category would be a good idea.

If you think it is problematic, we can change it.

Eric

motoeric
06-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Hello Paloozians!

I wanted to take a few minutes to thank:

our own Plowboy and Spicewine for their support of Willie-Palooza and their donations for the competitors.

Oregon Scientific for their donation and support.

Chuck of Chuck's Smokehouse for the donation of maple wood chunks.
www.chuckssmokehouse.com

We have a few surprises left that we will be unveiling later.

I hope that all the local Brethren will be stopping by, even if you are not competing.

If you are interested in competing, we have one open slot left.

Thanks,

Eric

Yakfishingfool
06-24-2007, 01:32 PM
OH Crap Eric!!! I got what I promised right here, can you pm your address again and I promise to send them this time. I'm such a schmuck!!! Got a dozen even. Scott

MilitantSquatter
06-24-2007, 07:07 PM
My thought was that if we gave ourselves an extra 1/2 hour with the first category it would give us time to iron out any difficulties that might crop up and give us a bit of experience.

As this is the first event we are running, I thought that a bit of a 'bumper' for the first category would be a good idea.

If you think it is problematic, we can change it.

Eric

thanks Eric...

Not a bad idea from an organization standpoint, but the teams who compete in kcbs contests might like the opportunity to practice their time management skills for turn in day.

I'm fine with either, but I'm just a judge for this one...

Yakfishingfool
06-26-2007, 08:30 AM
What is the nearest cross road to 222 fifth ave? Anybody know? Scott

timzcardz
06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
NYS Route 27, AKA Sunrise Hgihway

Willie is located at the Southwest corner of the intersection.

http://www.williebsbbq.com/pages/links.html

Porky
06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I was there this past Sat evening with Mrs Porky for the first time and we found it real easy to find just as you are getting off Sunrise Hwy onto 5th Ave.

motoeric
06-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Due to some very odd Suffolk County regulations, I need to update the requirements for the chili competition:

1) Each submission must also come with a sealed, one Qt container of the chili in ADDITION to the submission for judging.

2) The Qt. container must be labeled "For Eric's Private Consumption".

3) Feel free to make it more than 1 Qt.

Sorry, but Suffolk County is a real stickler for this sort of thing.

Eric

motoeric
06-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi,

I'd like to thank Flying Tricycle for their preparing the award plaques at cost. They do a great job (as you will see at the event) and can be reached via www.flyingtricycle.com

This is shaping up to be July's place to be!

One slot is still open.

Eric

rbsnwngs
06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
westex has taken the last spot
Big Barry is now paid and that makes 5 total paid

CTSmokehouse
06-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Due to some very odd Suffolk County regulations, I need to update the requirements for the chili competition:

1) Each submission must also come with a sealed, one Qt container of the chili in ADDITION to the submission for judging.

2) The Qt. container must be labeled "For Eric's Private Consumption".

3) Feel free to make it more than 1 Qt.

Sorry, but Suffolk County is a real stickler for this sort of thing.

Eric

Eric,

Unlike Phil, I have not cooked Chili in a comp. Please tell us the guidelines and rules...

Also what are the rules for Chef's Choice?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sledneck
06-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Eric,

Unlike Phil, I have not cooked Chili in a comp. Please tell us the guidelines and rules...

Also what are the rules for Chef's Choice?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
Only rule to competition chili is no beans, you submit a 1 cup full to a predetermined line on the cup

CTSmokehouse
06-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Only rule to competition chili is no beans, you submit a 1 cup full to a predetermined line on the cup

Sled,

Can I cook it in a crock pot, could the meat be pre cooked... searching for some answers,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Westexbbq
06-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Re chili;
If need be, I can share a copy of the ICS rules, just basic stuff, not too polemic.
It'll be up to the folks to set the guidelines.
No beans, of course.

Sledneck
06-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Sled,

Can I cook it in a crock pot, could the meat be pre cooked... searching for some answers,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Crockpot is ok if you have electric. This is not an ICS event so it is up to these guys to set guidelines about precooked. I think everything should be done fresh nothing precooked. All of the ingredients can be prepared beforehand though, chopping, grinding, of peppers and other ingredients.

rbsnwngs
07-01-2007, 07:00 AM
this is not an ics event it is just us brethren cooking chili. you can prep everything before hand except the meat and of course the more beans the better (lol) were just doing this to have fun and hang out

tonto1117
07-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Just found out we will be on the Island that weekend visiting with the Daughter, son in-law and grandbaby. If it's ok would love to stop by and say hello.

MilitantSquatter
07-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Just found out we will be on the Island that weekend visiting with the Daughter, son in-law and grandbaby. If it's ok would love to stop by and say hello.

Plan on spending a few hours, not a few minutes... You're not going to want to leave. After your family goes to sleep, you can just head back over again when everyone is cooking overnight...

CTSmokehouse
07-01-2007, 08:57 AM
this is not an ics event it is just us brethren cooking chili. you can prep everything before hand except the meat and of course the more beans the better (lol) were just doing this to have fun and hang out

Willy, will we have electric? How about water hookup? My question about precooked meat was to see if we could use some previously smoked butt or brisket. I guess KCBS rules for meat? How about presentation and garnish? What are the guidelines for the chef's choice? I am just doing this to have fun and hang out. Looking forward to Willie Palooza!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

rbsnwngs
07-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Willy, will we have electric? How about water hookup? My question about precooked meat was to see if we could use some previously smoked butt or brisket. I guess KCBS rules for meat? How about presentation and garnish? What are the guidelines for the chef's choice? I am just doing this to have fun and hang out. Looking forward to Willie Palooza!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

sunday kcbs rules apply for the 4 major meats the chefs choice you use any garnish you choose
i dont know about the electric but you will have acces to the store all night long and can use the water in the store or we do have a hot water hose outside but it is a bit of a walk. good thing about going in nthe store is you have to pass the beer tap

CTSmokehouse
07-01-2007, 03:26 PM
sunday kcbs rules apply for the 4 major meats the chefs choice you use any garnish you choose
i dont know about the electric but you will have acces to the store all night long and can use the water in the store or we do have a hot water hose outside but it is a bit of a walk. good thing about going in nthe store is you have to pass the beer tap

Willie,

Can I plug in my crock pot in the store or do I need to get wrought iron ware to cook the chili?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Pass the Beer Tap*****drink more beer****XXXXX!!!!

motoeric
07-01-2007, 06:47 PM

We would LOVE to have you stop by. Were you planning one day or the other?

Eric

Sledneck
07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Willie,

Can I plug in my crock pot in the store or do I need to get wrought iron ware to cook the chili?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Pass the Beer Tap*****drink more beer****XXXXX!!!!
Why bother going thru all that trouble. Just buy it it in a can reheat and serve

motoeric
07-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi,

Willie B's is again taking the opportunity to show what BBQ enthusiasts can do to contribute to a great cause.

We would greatly appreciate your help if you can spare some space on your smokers during Willie-Palooza.

Will is going to be raffling off numerous BBQ packages in 5 lb increments to be given away Sunday, the 22nd after the Willie-Palooza award ceremony.

The proceeds are going to be donated to Breast Cancer Help, Inc.

If you wouldn't mind cooking some pulled pork (or anything else), please let me know.

I think that this is a great way to give back to the community, and I commend Will for his actions.

CTSmokehouse
07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Why bother going thru all that trouble. Just buy it it in a can reheat and serve

Sled,

I already thought of buying it in a can (or frozen in a bag), reheat and serve.... now you let the secret out!

I also thought of doing take out at Southwest Cafe!

Yours in Chillidom,

Cliff;)!

P.S. I'll be taking the Silly Bus to Willie B's:)!
P.S.S. Care to share your fish kabob recipe?
P.S.S.S. If I can't plug my crock pot in the store, should I bring a generator?

Pass the beer tap***drink more beer***XXXX!!!

timzcardz
07-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Is it OK to just submit Chili from Smokin Al's? :wink:

motoeric
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Is it OK to just submit Chili from Smokin Al's? :wink:

Absolutely. It's also ok to try to win.

Eric

The Anchorman
07-02-2007, 12:13 PM
The Anchormen will have to bow out of this Comp. The Pigmaker23 and I have an event to cook at that we can not get out of.
Sorry, it looks like it will be a great weekend for you guys.
Ray

Westexbbq
07-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi,

Any ideas will help!

Thanks,

Eric

Shiner Bock would be nice.

CTSmokehouse
07-02-2007, 09:27 PM
The Anchormen will have to bow out of this Comp. The Pigmaker23 and I have an event to cook at that we can not get out of.
Sorry, it looks like it will be a great weekend for you guys.
Ray

Too bad! You will be missed... as will the Berry Crumble!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

WannaBeBBQueen
07-06-2007, 08:21 AM
no berry crumble??:( I've heard stories about how good it is..you and the crumble will be missed:biggrin:

pigmaker23
07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
unless it rains and the production is cancelled, then we will be there,

CTSmokehouse
07-10-2007, 01:46 AM
So what is the official schedule....set up...turn in times...awards etc...? What are the rules for Chili and Chef's Choice?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

rbsnwngs
07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
well this is last call for anyone who would like to enter we have 7 paid teams so if you want to compete please call or email me soon thank you

motoeric
07-10-2007, 07:29 PM
So what is the official schedule....set up...turn in times...awards etc...? What are the rules for Chili and Chef's Choice?

Saturday:

Set up 5:00pm
Chili 10:00pm

Sunday:

Awards 4:30

Both Chef's Choice and Chili are whatever your team would like to make, but must be prepared and cooked onsite.

Eric

motoeric
07-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi,

I would like to thank Ludwig Schiff Cutlery for their generous support.

Eric

Muzzlebrake
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
are we judging the chili on Sat and the BBQ Sunday?

motoeric
07-11-2007, 04:19 PM
are we judging the chili on Sat and the BBQ Sunday?

Yes.

Eric

Sledneck
07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I would like to thank Ludwig Schiff Cutlery for their generous support.

Eric
Did they donate a drum set?:rolleyes:

Westexbbq
07-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Did they donate a drum set?:rolleyes:

Good one,
Ringo, Keith et al would appreciate that.

nancee
07-13-2007, 01:16 AM
this makes no sense. Is there a typo somewhere?
thanks
nancee

Saturday:

Set up 5:00pm
Chili 10:00pm

Sunday:

Awards 4:30

Both Chef's Choice and Chili are whatever your team would like to make, but must be prepared and cooked onsite.

Eric

nancee
07-13-2007, 01:18 AM
We have plenty of space for the fundraiser meats
nancee

Hi,

Willie B's is again taking the opportunity to show what BBQ enthusiasts can do to contribute to a great cause.

We would greatly appreciate your help if you can spare some space on your smokers during Willie-Palooza.

Will is going to be raffling off numerous BBQ packages in 5 lb increments to be given away Sunday, the 22nd after the Willie-Palooza award ceremony.

The proceeds are going to be donated to Breast Cancer Help, Inc.

If you wouldn't mind cooking some pulled pork (or anything else), please let me know.

I think that this is a great way to give back to the community, and I commend Will for his actions.

rbsnwngs
07-13-2007, 07:51 AM
We have plenty of space for the fundraiser meats
nancee

Yes the time line is correct
are you guys changing your minds and going to cook

backyardchef
07-13-2007, 08:35 AM
I can bring Large Marge most likely for any extra capacity cooking even though I won't be competing.......

BBQchef33
07-13-2007, 08:38 AM
why is chicken at 11:30 and not 12?

motoeric
07-13-2007, 02:07 PM
why is chicken at 11:30 and not 12?

Please read the entire thread. This was asked and answered. Please don't make me repeat myself. I know Mr. Rizzardi and can get you in a lot of trouble.

It is to give the novice organizers an extra 1/2 hour to get their chops set and address any last minute problems, questions or unanticipated concerns when the first arrivals come in. The extra time is for the first submission only.

Hopefully it will be smooth sailing and the extra 'buffer' won't be needed.

Eric

nancee
07-13-2007, 03:19 PM
we are cooking with Cliff...sort of a Purple Primal Smoked Turtle thing I guess...

Yes the time line is correct
are you guys changing your minds and going to cook

CTSmokehouse
07-13-2007, 03:24 PM
we are cooking with Cliff...sort of a Purple Primal Smoked Turtle thing I guess...

Nancee:

I like that..! It's catchy!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Proud to be a Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!!! ;) !

Yakfishingfool
07-13-2007, 04:12 PM
OK guys, not cooking but plan on being down around five for setup and staying into the wee hours, maybe all night. Will be there for chili!!! Scott

motoeric
07-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Hello,

We need to have all of the judges present on Sunday at 10:00 am.
I would appreciate it if you could reply here and let me know that you are ok with this.

In addition, please let me know if you can make a brief seminar on Friday evening at around 8:00 pm. Some food will be provided and we will be discussing the in's and out's of judging.

Thank you,

Eric

MilitantSquatter
07-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I'll be at some point on Sat. afternoon into the evening to hang and will probably go home to sleep then show up early Sunday..

I won't be able to make it on Friday night

Sawdustguy
07-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Mr. and Mrs Sawdust will be there at 10:30 Sunday morning if that makes you happy.

MAsQue
07-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Eric,

Unless I missd an email somewhere, you never did get around to telling me what you'd like Mary and I to do to help out. Please let me know what you need us to do and when you need us to be there to do it.

WannaBeBBQueen
07-15-2007, 09:57 AM
All I can say is wait until you guys see the trophy :lol:

BBQPETE
07-15-2007, 02:54 PM
So how many teams are we going to have,and who are they.

rbsnwngs
07-15-2007, 04:13 PM
So how many teams are we going to have,and who are they.

we have 7 paid teams
I like smone-n-lightning
babylon grillbillies
big barry q
brothers in smoke
primal meat smokers
wes tex bbq
swamp pit bbq

Westexbbq
07-15-2007, 05:16 PM
All I can say is wait until you guys see the trophy :lol:

TRUE QUALM!

Porky
07-16-2007, 07:46 AM
DB Hot. You should see the truck!!!

BigBarry
07-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Nerds...

OK, OK - I can't wait for FIOS, either!!

But that kid is creepy.

mfalco
07-16-2007, 09:38 AM
If you need any hands to help out, let me know. I'll be passing by for sure but would love to pitch in if needed

nancee
07-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Is this correct? Ok if it is just curious...
nancee

we have 7 paid teams
I like smone-n-lightning
babylon grillbillies
big barry q
brothers in smoke
primal meat smokers
wes tex bbq
swamp pit bbq

SmokeInDaEye
07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
nancee

Nope.

Sledneck
07-17-2007, 05:02 AM
Should be fun especially with all the rain coming

CTSmokehouse
07-17-2007, 06:57 AM
nancee

Nancee and fellow Brethren:

Please change Primal Meat Smokers to Purple Primal Smoker Turtles. Nancee, Greg and Cliff are cooking together. Got Q?....We Got Q!!!

Your in BBQ,

Cliff

CTSmokehouse
07-17-2007, 07:01 AM
we have 7 paid teams
I like smoke-n-lightning
babylon grillbillies
big barry q
brothers in smoke
purple primal smoker turtles
wes tex bbq
swamp pit bbq

Please note name change to Purple Primal Smoker Turtles! If this is a problem let us know. OK Nancee?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Please note name change to Purple Primal Smoker Turtles! If this is a problem let us know. OK Nancee?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Purple Teenage Mutant Primal Smoker Ninja Turtles has a certain ring to it also. :mrgreen:

WannaBeBBQueen
07-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Purple Teenage Mutant Primal Smoker Ninja Turtles has a certain ring to it also. :mrgreen:

I love it! lol

CTSmokehouse
07-17-2007, 02:02 PM

Yea but we passed the teenage phase a long time ago...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff ;) !

motoeric
07-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Should be fun especially with all the rain coming

I was just checking the forecast and we should be ok with rain. Keep your fingers crossed.

Rain till Friday, minor showers during the day Saturday, clear Saturday night and Sunday. Lets hope that it stays that way.

Eric

pigmaker23
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Always plan for the worst, do you have judges tent?

motoeric
07-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Ok, I have heard back from Mr. & Mrs. Sawdust, Brian and Mary and Vinny regarding the judging (as was requested about 10 posts back). So, as of now, that's who I'm counting on to judge.

I have a couple of other people who have volunteered and said that they would be available to help in any way needed, so they will be pressed into duty.

Also, if you wish to compete, we can still squeeze you in.

Eric

CTSmokehouse
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Nope.

So we know the paid teams to date....who are the teams that are participating? Paid and unpaid...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

P.S. we would like our spot next to Willie B as per your satellite lay out...

motoeric
07-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Here are the teams that are competing. If there is anyone that I am missing, please let me know:

I Like Smoke-n-Lightning
Babylon Grillbillies
Big Barry Q
Brothers in Smoke
Primal Meat Smokers
Wes Tex BBQ
Swamp Pit BBQ
South Shore Smokers

Due to the availability of space, location assignments for teams are subject to change.

Eric

motoeric
07-17-2007, 08:30 PM
I would like to thank:

Kirby Signcraft for creating the great plaques at cost for WilliePalooza. www.flyingtricycle.com

Cattle Boyz Sauces for their generous support of the event.

Eric

CTSmokehouse
07-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Here are the teams that are competing. If there is anyone that I am missing, please let me know:

I Like Smoke-n-Lightning
Babylon Grillbillies
Big Barry Q
Brothers in Smoke
Purple Primal Smoker Turtles
Wes Tex BBQ
Swamp Pit BBQ
South Shore Smokers

Due to the availability of space, location assignments for teams are subject to change.

Eric

Purple Turtles and Primal Meat Smokers will compete together at Willie Palooza as Purple Primal Smoker Turtles! Special thanks to Nancee and Greg! Go Turtles!

Glad to see that Sled will be there!

How about Smoke in Da Eye?

We are pleased that Joe W. will be cooking with us!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

djmarko
07-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Hello folks. I'm sorry to say I won't be able to make it to the event. I'm very disappointed about it but my Mom just got out of the hospital this past saturday after some complications due to her cancer. My wife and I felt we were needed here at her home in Va. Beach to help with her recuperation.

I wish everyone lots of luck and it sounds like it might be the beginning of something very special for BBQ on Long Island. I will definitely be there in spirit.

Regards to all,
Rich

motoeric
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Here is the final list of judges for WilliePalooza:

Michael
Walter
Deb
Yolanda
Brian
Mary
Vinny
Guy
Michelle
Ashton
Gary

I appreciate your help and expertise.

I'll be leaning heavily on Vinny, his goodwill and his knowledge.

I hope to see you all there between 10 and 10:30 Sunday morning.

Eric

MilitantSquatter
07-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Someone's got the turn-in boxes.. right ?? :icon_blush:

Eric - I think we'll get by on the judging.. From a rules and process standpoint, Guy and Michelle will be a plus and I think Walter and Michael have KCBS judging experience too. I don't know who the others are on your list.

How sre the 10 judges being divided up ? 2 sets of 4 Judges & 2 table captains ? Other ??

Is the scoring program you have operational and does someone know how to operate it ?

motoeric
07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Vinny,

I was thinking the same as you; two tables of four and two table captains. Everyone except Ashton is certified. Would you mind doing a brief 'seminar' Saturday evening?

I have the software on my laptop and have been messing around with it. Will has it on his laptop. Shouldn't be a problem.

I have been told that Phil has scorecards and mats. I hope to confirm that asap.

I was told that Phil will be bringing a laptop and printer.

Will has turn in boxes.

Is anyone planning on bringing a digital camera?

Thanks,

Eric

CTSmokehouse
07-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Vinny,

I was thinking the same as you; two tables of four and two table captains. Everyone except Ashton is certified. Would you mind doing a brief 'seminar' Saturday evening?

I have the software on my laptop and have been messing around with it. Will has it on his laptop. Shouldn't be a problem.

I have been told that Phil has scorecards and mats. I hope to confirm that asap.

I was told that Phil will be bringing a laptop and printer.

Will has turn in boxes.

Is anyone planning on bringing a digital camera?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

I'm bringing my digital camera.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

nancee
07-19-2007, 10:01 AM
With seven teams, there should be one table of seven and a table captain. That is a level playing field. Also the way KCBS would do it.
My $.02
nancee

Someone's got the turn-in boxes.. right ?? :icon_blush:

Eric - I think we'll get by on the judging.. From a rules and process standpoint, Guy and Michelle will be a plus and I think Walter and Michael have KCBS judging experience too. I don't know who the others are on your list.

How sre the 10 judges being divided up ? 2 sets of 4 Judges & 2 table captains ? Other ??

Is the scoring program you have operational and does someone know how to operate it ?

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 10:27 AM
With seven teams, there should be one table of seven and a table captain. That is a level playing field. Also the way KCBS would do it.
My $.02
nancee

No KCBS would have one table of six judges but they would judge seven entries.

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Or if you can get 2 more judges you can do 2 tables and one table judges 4 and the other judges 3 and you can alternate. What you need to maintain with the KCBS scoring system is having 6 judges judge each entry because that's the way the program is designed. It automatically drops the lowest score.

motoeric
07-19-2007, 11:09 AM
There are 8 teams.

I Like Smoke-n-Lightning
Babylon Grillbillies
Big Barry Q
Brothers in Smoke
Primal Purple Turtle Meat Smokers
Wes Tex BBQ
Swamp Pit BBQ
South Shore Smokers

Eric

motoeric
07-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Would the esteemed panel of commenters think that we should go with two tables of 6 judges, each of which will judge four turn ins?

That is feasible IF we can get another 2 or 3 qualified judges (which may not be so hard to do).

Eric

MilitantSquatter
07-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Eric - I may be wrong here, but you can't have 12 judges if there are only 8 boxes per category being submitted.

I have no idea how the scoring system is set up. I would defer to Steve.. He is the expert.. Might be worth a private follow up with him.

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Eric - I may be wrong here, but you can't have 12 judges if there are only 8 boxes per category being submitted.

I have no idea how the scoring system is set up. I would defer to Steve.. He is the expert.. Might be worth a private follow up with him.

Actually you are wrong.

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Would the esteemed panel of commenters think that we should go with two tables of 6 judges, each of which will judge four turn ins?

That is feasible IF we can get another 2 or 3 qualified judges (which may not be so hard to do).

Eric

That's what I suggest you do.

MilitantSquatter
07-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Actually you are wrong.

I must be having a brain freeze... please explain o' wise one !!!

YankeeBBQ
07-19-2007, 07:19 PM
I must be having a brain freeze... please explain o' wise one !!!

You want each entry to be judged by six judges. It doesn't matter how many entries a judge gets to sample, it matters how many judges get to sample an entry. The scoring system wants to see six scores for each entry.

999 989 787 888 999 656

CTSmokehouse
07-19-2007, 07:40 PM
You want each entry to be judged by six judges. It doesn't matter how many entries a judge gets to sample, it matters how many judges get to sample an entry. The scoring system wants to see six scores for each entry.

999 989 787 888 999 656

You got it right on as usual!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

nancee
07-19-2007, 09:45 PM
I thought that is what I said

WannaBeBBQueen
07-19-2007, 09:46 PM

it is but they needed a man to explain it...lol

we make too much sense...:biggrin:

pigmaker23
07-20-2007, 06:31 AM
i just heard that I smell smoke is making a late minute entry into the contest, is this true???:-P

YankeeBBQ
07-20-2007, 07:15 AM

No you said there would be one table of seven judges. At least that's how I read it with my 5th grade edumacation. Now that I reread it maybe it is what you said. But maybe it aint hmmmmmmmmm

YankeeBBQ
07-20-2007, 07:15 AM
i just heard that I smell smoke is making a late minute entry into the contest, is this true???:-P

No it's not. We be catering...........

rbsnwngs
07-20-2007, 07:18 AM
darn shame you have to work this weekend it would have been nice to have you come down and lose
lol now ths some smack talk

pigmaker23
07-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Steve needs his rest for next weekend, with alll that money riding on the ribs,

Porky
07-20-2007, 08:06 AM
To whom it may concern-
I will be coming by on Sunday morning and if you need any help I will be glad to pitch in. I have never judged or participated in an event but I am willing to help. PM me and keep me posted.

timzcardz
07-20-2007, 08:50 AM
If everyone is interested, I'll come by early Sunday morning with Fresh Bagels, Cream Cheese and Butter.

WannaBeBBQueen
07-20-2007, 09:09 AM
If everyone is interested, I'll come by early Sunday morning with Fresh Bagels, Cream Cheese and Butter.

Sounds great, I'm making crumb cake and I have two big coffee urns :biggrin:

What time can we expect you? lol

SmokeInDaEye
07-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I'll be stopping by Sunday as well.

motoeric
07-20-2007, 09:20 AM

You the man, Tim. Unless the bagels are just for competitors. In which case I reserve judgment on who officially is the 'man'.

Eric

Westexbbq
07-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks Tim, Julie;
coffee is key for me!!

timzcardz
07-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Sounds great, I'm making crumb cake and I have two big coffee urns :biggrin:

What time can we expect you? lol

I'm an early riser, and I think the bagel place opens at 5, so probably by 6!

I'll get an assortment.

I'll have to see if they are making jalapeno bagels this weekend. They're great!

Westexbbq
07-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Please excuse this question if it has already been answered but I am not sure.
Is there going to be a formal or semi-formal inspection of the meats before we begin cooking?
If so what time and do I have to wear a tie?
or
can we do a little trimming, prepping, rubbing or whatever ahead of time at home, as long as the meat is not pre-cooked of course.?

rbsnwngs
07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
wes you can trim your meat how ever you want as long as it arrives raw and not pre rub or marinated KCBS rules apply for the most part

timzcardz
07-20-2007, 01:04 PM
wes you can trim your meat how ever you want as long as it arrives ram and not pre rub or marinated KCBS rules apply for the most part

ram?

Is that the surprise turn-in category? Or the secret ingredient that everyone has to incorporate?

MattCom
07-20-2007, 01:10 PM
I hope to come down and meet you legends of BBQ on saturday nite, I'll lend a hand or a beer if needed.

Willie B, nice meeting you yesterday. The food was great!

motoeric
07-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Ram = Raw

Eric

rbsnwngs
07-20-2007, 01:24 PM
i slipped i want wes to ram his meat

rbsnwngs
07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I hope to come down and meet you legends of BBQ on saturday nite, I'll lend a hand or a beer if needed.

Willie B, nice meeting you yesterday. The food was great!

matt it was nice meeting you as well and im glad you enjoyed the food. looking forward to seeing and meeting some new brethren over the weekend.

Westexbbq
07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
i slipped i want wes to ram his meat

"Dodge Trucks may be Ram Tough but not Westex's Brisket."

MWS II.

Yakfishingfool
07-20-2007, 01:43 PM
pass it on....Wes rams his meat.....

WannaBeBBQueen
07-20-2007, 03:47 PM
pass it on....Wes rams his meat.....

Wes what???? I can't pass that on...lol

Muzzlebrake
07-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Here is the final list of judges for WilliePalooza:

Michael
Walter
Deb
Yolanda
Brian
Mary
Vinny
Guy
Michelle
Ashton
Gary

I appreciate your help and expertise.

I'll be leaning heavily on Vinny, his goodwill and his knowledge.

I hope to see you all there between 10 and 10:30 Sunday morning.

Eric

Sorry I have been gone this past week and missed the posts about judging. I had offered to judge a while ago, do you still need me or is it too late?

motoeric
07-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Sorry I have been gone this past week and missed the posts about judging. I had offered to judge a while ago, do you still need me or is it too late?

We could certainly use your help. I just sent you a pm.

Thanks,

Eric

motoeric
07-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Hi,

If you have any extra folding or patio chairs that you can bring with you, PLEASE DO.

We need a few (ok, a bunch) extra and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

MilitantSquatter
07-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Contest is running great so far... Everyone's having a good time...

Except the new question is not what time pork chop turn in is (always 1:30) but the new question is :

What time is Chili Turn in ???? :biggrin:

I'll be back in the AM to judge...

timzcardz
07-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Bagels and crumb cake are served.

Heavenly smoke is wafting through the air.

It sounds like Willie B's has relocated next to the train station, thanks to Sledneck.

Some of the Brethren are looking a little battle weary.

Controversial chili cook off.

Details at 11.

pigmaker23
07-22-2007, 07:55 AM
whats the body count so far ? :-P

tonto1117
07-22-2007, 07:58 AM
We need pics!!!!

Plowboy
07-22-2007, 08:04 AM
We need pics!!!!

I was just going to say that.

Yakfishingfool
07-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Somebody poke fred and see if he's still alive (poke)..farker jumps 2 feet in the air. Funny as hell. I go there about 520pm yesterday. Lot's of people to meet, jello shots, tequila shots, a beer, some food..by 6pm we started getting set up :) I slept for a bout 2 hours, 3am to 4:45, said bye to wes and Barry Poppins and came home. easy ride home but I'm beat. Scott

PS, Militant, turn in time is now 1145pm. ;)

thanks Willy!!! I tried to wake you to get some rub, but you were out!!!! S

SmokeInDaEye
07-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Somebody poke fred and see if he's still alive (poke)..farker jumps 2 feet in the air. Funny as hell. I go there about 520pm yesterday. Lot's of people to meet, jello shots, tequila shots, a beer, some food..by 6pm we started getting set up :) I slept for a bout 2 hours, 3am to 4:45, said bye to wes and Barry Poppins and came home. easy ride home but I'm beat. Scott

PS, Militant, turn in time is now 1145pm. ;)

thanks Willy!!! I tried to wake you to get some rub, but you were out!!!! S

I must of just missed you! Left right around 5:45 as everyone was starting to get charged up. I spoke to Sledneck at around midnight and he had just turned in his chili. Was starting to get everything else on. I guess the schedule was more of a "suggestion"?

motoeric
07-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi,

Plenty of pictures were taken and I hope to see them up soon.

Here are the results from the Award Ceremony (that we held an hour EARLY!):

Chili - Wes Tex BBQ
Chef's Choice - Purple Primal Turtle Smoker

Grand Champ - Brothers in Smoke
Reserve Champion - South Shore Smokers

Chicken
1 Swamp Pit
2 Purple Primal Turtle BBQ
3 Babylon Grillbillies

Ribs
1 Purple Primal Turtle Smoking BBQ
2) Wes Tex BBQ
3) Brothers in Smoke

Pork
1 Wes Tex BBQ
2 South Shore Smokers
3 I like Smoke and Lightning

Brisket
1 South Shore Smokers
2 Brothers in Smoke
3 Swamp Pit BBQ

Congratulations to everyone and thanks for coming out!

Eric

MilitantSquatter
07-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Congrats to Poobah & Sledneck & a great job by all teams ...

Fantastic job by Eric and Willie for making thw whole event a success...

The contest had a solid team list, judging went off smoothly as 9 of 12 judges were KCBS certified and the others were well versed in BBQ including Porky who got to judge at the last minute and had a blast doing it.

tonto1117
07-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Congrat's everyone!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!

Plowboy
07-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm guessing that Brothers in Smoke was Sled and Pooh. :confused:

Congrats to Poobah & Sledneck & a great job by all teams ...

Fantastic job by Eric and Willie for making thw whole event a success...

The contest had a solid team list, judging went off smoothly as 9 of 12 judges were KCBS certified and the others were well versed in BBQ including Porky who got to judge at the last minute and had a blast doing it.

MilitantSquatter
07-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Brothers in Smoke is Phil & his son James

South Shore Smokers is Sledneck who was flying solo...

Plowboy
07-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Brothers in Smoke is Phil & his son James

South Shore Smokers is Sledneck who was flying solo...

Cool!! Solo is a tough way to go. Nice job, guys.

SmokeInDaEye
07-22-2007, 05:53 PM
OMG!!!! A Brethren sweep!!!!!

What a fun time. I really enjoyed seeing everyone and having a beer while everyone scrambled with turn-ins. I did, however, serve as a consultant on Willy's chefs choice turn-in box. Without me there would have been NO powdered sugar on the hot dog slices, nor those two stems of parsely that made the box really pop! :biggrin:

Yakfishingfool
07-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I had a great time and congrats to Sled and Poobah...noticed no chicken placing....was there a 13th? Scott

motoeric
07-22-2007, 06:19 PM
It seems that I forgot to thank all the people that kindly offered advice and assistance.

Without your help this event would have been a disaster. Thank you to everyone, especially Vinny, Walter and all the judges.

I appreciate your help greatly. My only regret is not having breakfast or lunch and then having to sit there and label box after box of delicious smelling food.

I look forward to doing this again next year.

Eric

rbsnwngs
07-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Eric you the man without you this event could not and would not have happened I thank you for all you did it was fantastic.
I dont want to leave anyone out so i will thank everyone who had a hand in this event going off with out a hitch. Thank you all and i cant wait till next year so we can this again.

WannaBeBBQueen
07-22-2007, 07:04 PM
so we can this again.

and we shall this again!!:biggrin:

Muzzlebrake
07-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I was just going to say that.

OK OK I am getting there, I can take pics but I am kind of a puter dummy.

I am working on it

oh yeah and one more thing my vote is no longer open to the highest bidder as I have recently learned of a FBI investigation into a BBQ contest/NBA game rigging scheme.
:icon_shy

:lol:

Sledneck
07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Woo-woooo!

SmokeInDaEye
07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
So what's the secret to placing Reserve Grand Champ, Sled?

http://www.smokinals.com/images/logo_flames_anm2.gif

MrsBigBarry
07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Very good Clint. Was good to see you as well as everyone else that was there. I've got a bunch of pics, but won't get them up tonight - if it weren't for the backspace key, you'd all see how tired I really am.

BigBarry is asleep on the bed, but lying across it from side to side. I guess it's the guest room for me tonight! (Good thing none of the tired weary, in need of showers, travelers took me up on my offer of using my guest room! :lol: )

Good night all.

willkat98
07-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Sled

Did you come in better than 13th in chicken?

BigBarry
07-23-2007, 05:13 AM
Big thanks to Eric, Willie and all the rest of folks who made this a great event!

Had a blast and look forward to next year.

WannaBeBBQueen
07-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Woo-woooo!

Hey I thought I stole them all from you...where did that one come from? lol

Yakfishingfool
07-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Can't wait for the "film at eleven" coverage. Off to work folks. Scott

timzcardz
07-23-2007, 07:07 AM
It was great great having breakfast with all of you, seeing some brethren/sistren again, and meeting some others for the first time. Wish I could have stayed longer for the festivities.

Congratulations to all.

Will and Eric, Nice Job!

Porky
07-23-2007, 07:47 AM
It was great seeing all of you and it was absolutley my pleasure to help out with the judging. Many thanks to all those who answered my rookie questions on what to look for in the judging process. I had a Fantastic time and hope to judge again and maybe even compete with one of the existing teams.

Sledneck
07-23-2007, 08:19 AM
A big thanks to Willy(ie) and Eric for putting this together. Not that a brethren gathering is ever dull but this one was great. Thank you tim for bringing the bagels they hit the spot. I was very pleased with my finish, who knew you could win a reserve with a 13th place chicken? :rolleyes: Congratulations to Poobah on becoming the first "Big weeeeeeiner".If the cops should come a poking, I know nothing!!!