PDA

View Full Version : Brethren Only Comp 'Willie-Pallooza'

Pages : 1 [2]

Sledneck
07-23-2007, 08:26 AM
So what's the secret to placing Reserve Grand Champ, Sled?
I think the secret was some ash-hole blowing a whistle at 5AM:biggrin:

rbsnwngs
07-23-2007, 08:40 AM
smokin als was the secret

BBQchef33
07-23-2007, 08:44 AM
great time everyone..and one hell of a job for willie and crew to pull this off with one keg tied behind his back. Great hangin out with everyone and this can maybe become a bash if we get some out of state teams to come compete.

It was my first time out at a full up comp with the trailer. (What a difference it makes not having to set up and knock down... but as usual.. i was the last one out of the parking lot.)

So.. i am now the bearer of the new title of "Big Wienner"(which Willie WILL correct you if you call it a GC). That was a thrill in itself.. and to have my son go up with me to get that monster trophy made it even better.... he was a great help and my runner to get the turnin boxes. He made the sauces.. the sides for the chefs choice, etc..

and yak fisher is a perfect chicken trimmer too!!!

Yakfishingfool
07-23-2007, 09:59 AM
uh...yeah...weren't you out of the money on the yard birds??? Thanks for letting me dabble. I learned so much and realized there is a cooking to feed and a cooking to compete. Preparation, preparation preparation. Learned alot... Sled, congrats on the reserve placement and thank god someone took you whistle. Last time I send those down :) Scott

WannaBeBBQueen
07-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Last time I send those down :) Scott

Scott I love ya dude but if you EVER give Sledneck another whistle I will have to beat you up...lol

5 am...he wouldn't stop...:eusa_claplol

I have two where did he steal the other one???? Wes you didn't give him yours did you?:wink:

Now I will have to find away to get that one! Cause you know he's gonna keep it with his Q stuff...lol

OOO and I want to put a really big thanks out to James, he got TWO of them in a smoker!:mrgreen: Phew!! So that's 5 how many did you send??? lol

We would also like to thank Eric, Willie and everyone else that made this event great!

We can't wait for next year!!

BBQPETE
07-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Thankyou Willie and Eric,we had a great time and it was nice to meet sum very nice people.Thank you to the judges,Great Job.I would like the websight for the scores. Pete BBQ Babylon Grillbillies

Yakfishingfool
07-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately there were a dozen of them. Hope he didn't find the rest :) Scott

SmokeInDaEye
07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Unfortunately there were a dozen of them. Hope he didn't find the rest :) Scott

My kids have two. Three or so were destroyed in a fire. That leaves about half a dozen unaccounted for. Good luck sleeping all you folks competing in Dover this October!:twisted:

Bentley
07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Have not checked this in awhile, thought it was this weekend. Congrats to all! I bet it was a blast! :shock:

pigmaker23
07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
HOW CAN IT BE THERE ARE NO PICTURES YET, its been 24 hours, could no one hold the camara straight ??? :-D :-P :-D come on i'm dying to see what happened !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westexbbq
07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Cool!! Solo is a tough way to go. Nice job, guys.

I too was solo and it was an amazing event. Thanks again to all who were there for all the support and friendship and kudos to Willie B and Eric for all the behind the scenes work.
CONGRATULATIONS to all teams and thanks to the judges as well.
It was a lot of work and a lot of fun, looking forward to next year!
Wes

P.S.
Way to busy to take pics but many were taken, hope they post soon.
W

MattCom
07-23-2007, 07:47 PM
I had a great time visiting on Saturday night, Willie and Eric, you guys are hysterical.:lol:
Man, I had a good time, got to taste some excellent chili and met many friendly folks. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Next time I hope to be competing!

~Amateur chili judge :twisted:

Smokin J
07-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Many thanks to Willie & Eric. What a blast! I had a great time hanging out sat. night, watching every one in action. You guys know how to party, oh yeh, and the food was pretty damn good too! I'm looking forward the next event. Thanks for welcoming this Brethren newbie!

SmokeInDaEye
07-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I too was solo and it was an amazing event. Thanks again to all who were there for all the support and friendship and kudos to Willie B and Eric for all the behind the scenes work.
Wes

P.S.
W

Yes, huge congrats to Wes for an amazing showing in his first contest. "Ahhh, the ribs were aweful and the brisket was dry" my arse!!!

Muzzlebrake
07-23-2007, 08:44 PM
quitcher bitchin!

Muzzlebrake
07-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes, huge congrats to Wes for an amazing showing in his first contest. "Ahhh, the ribs were aweful and the brisket was dry" my arse!!!

yeah I wish I could have a "bad day to have a bad day" like the one he had!

talk about a Texan with a poker face!

Yakfishingfool
07-23-2007, 08:48 PM
I forgot to comment on willy!!! For those of you that have read and followed the exploits of Willy B's, there is a man behind the scene, a man who must have a bull horn built into his larynx. This guy is loud, funny, and a great spirit. Funny as hell!! You never saw someone so excited when the keg went dry. He finally got to plug in the killian red. like a kid in a candy shop!!! Thanks Willy, I wanted to wake you for my rub.....but I didn't want to wake everyone else up too. So I left you snuggled in the chair and gave you a little kiss to the forehead :) jk. Scott

Sledneck
07-23-2007, 08:55 PM
My kids have two. Three or so were destroyed in a fire. That leaves about half a dozen unaccounted for. Good luck sleeping all you folks competing in Dover this October!:twisted:
I have some of those unaccounted ones, the state of delaware will never be the same

Sledneck
07-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Wes

P.S.
W
I will NEVER cook by myself ever again. I usually have my 13 year old son Steven with me at the comps giving me a huge helping hand and i missed him terribly this weekend

Sledneck
07-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi,

Plenty of pictures were taken and I hope to see them up soon.

Here are the results from the Award Ceremony (that we held an hour EARLY!):

Chili - Wes Tex BBQ
Chef's Choice - Purple Primal Turtle Smoker

Big Weiner- Brothers in Smoke
Reserve Weiner - South Shore Smokers

Chicken
1 Swamp Pit
2 Purple Primal Turtle BBQ
3 Babylon Grillbillies

Ribs
1 Purple Primal Turtle Smoking BBQ
2) Wes Tex BBQ
3) Brothers in Smoke

Pork
1 Wes Tex BBQ
2 South Shore Smokers
3 I like Smoke and Lightning

Brisket
1 South Shore Smokers
2 Brothers in Smoke
3 Swamp Pit BBQ

Congratulations to everyone and thanks for coming out!

Eric
No GC or RGC aloowed at willie-palooza

SmokeInDaEye
07-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I will NEVER cook by myself ever again. I usually have my 13 year old son Steven with me at the comps giving me a huge helping hand and i missed him terribly this weekend

Kid or not, we know how you won. The "Property of Smokin' Crack" tee tells it all.

Westexbbq
07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Kid or not, we know how you won. The "Property of Smokin' Crack" tee tells it all.
May be true but could be nothing compared to the guy called Nick from Julie's Swamp Pit team who kept coming around all night long with the trays of Jello-shots...... the tequila reposado was pretty unique.:eusa_clap

MilitantSquatter
07-23-2007, 10:04 PM
May be true but could be nothing compared to the guy called Nick from Julie's Swamp Pit team who kept coming around all night long with the trays of Jello-shots...... the tequila reposado was pretty unique.:eusa_clap

I guess you did not have enough of them since you actually remembered his name...

Aside from winning 1st in Chicken, The Swap Pit probably deserved a 1st place trophy for creating a party like atmosphere under there tent.. Home much better can it get than free jello shots, Skip's patty melts and homemade crumb cake and lots of laughing....

MrsBigBarry
07-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Some of our pictures.

Sledneck
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Funny where or when you run into people from the past especially at a brethren event. I grew up 2 houses away from Nick and know he hangs with Skip and Julie. Small world, hey jules next event could you bring the girl i took to the prom?

tonto1117
07-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Ok,just gotta ask who brought the shopping cart?? :rolleyes: :lol:

CTSmokehouse
07-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Here are a few more pics from a wonderful event....I usually take alot but was busy cookin...

Thanks Willie and Eric for a really great venue.

Congrats to all the Brethren! Congrats to the Big Weiner Phil and Son and to the Reserve Weiner Sled!

Special thanks to my mentors Nancee and Greg and to Joe W. for all their hard work, wisdom, help and camaraderie....

I really enjoyed the LI Brethren hospitality! Lamb-Cicle's, Croatian Meatball's, Bagels and Cream Cheese, Hot Coffee in the AM, ABT's, Fatties, Lone Star Beer at 1 AM, Wille's Clams, Great Cheese, Chilli, Roumanian Sausages cooked in the Backwoods, Jello Shots, Skips Patty Melts, Julie's Crumb Cake, Phil's Hanger Steak etc.... it was super!

The atmosphere of Brethren Friendship was the Best!

Let's do it again!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

P.S. Sled...lose the whistle!

WannaBeBBQueen
07-24-2007, 07:15 AM
great pics!! Thanks so much for posting them!!:biggrin:

Oldbob
07-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Great Pics!! Thanks to all for posting them !!

Yakfishingfool
07-24-2007, 08:04 AM
The cart is Wes's and it really helps him. A great guy with a great attitude, a little trouble getting around but the cart really helps. Good job Wes!!! I noticed in some of the photo's form the next day that Fred was in the same position...did someone poke him to make sure he was alive? Hey James, give him a poke. Scott

Westexbbq
07-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Ok,just gotta ask who brought the shopping cart?? :rolleyes: :lol:

:wink: Good eye, nice catch, I didn't even notice it made the pics.
Yes, it be mine but I do want to clarify that I do not ride around in it!:rolleyes:
It comes in handy moving stuff from car to canopy.(tendonitis elbows mod.)

Jorge
07-24-2007, 10:17 AM
:wink: Good eye, nice catch, I didn't even notice it made the pics.
Yes, it be mine but I do want to clarify that I do not ride around in it!:rolleyes:
It comes in handy moving stuff from car to canopy.(tendonitis elbows mod.)

The Lonestar box kind of gave it away:lol: Remind me next year, and I'll see if I can find some Pearl to send you:wink: 8-)

Westexbbq
07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Julie quote
"5 am...he wouldn't stop...:eusa_claplol
I have two where did he steal the other one???? Wes you didn't give him yours did you?:wink:
Now I will have to find away to get that one! Cause you know he's gonna keep it with his Q stuff...lol"

No way Julie, mine is safe at home!
I noticed on the back of the tag that the age is recommended for 2+.:mrgreen:
I may bring it with me to New Paltz or can start the bidding now to leave it at home.................:tongue:

WannaBeBBQueen
07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I may bring it with me to New Paltz or can start the bidding now to leave it at home.................:tongue:

I'll start the bidding at .50 :biggrin:...highest bidder wins right?? Do you accept paypal???

Muzzlebrake
07-24-2007, 04:29 PM
I'll start the bidding at .50 :biggrin:...highest bidder wins right?? Do you accept paypal???

yeah OK lets see how high this gets, that's already more than the highest bid I got for my vote at the judges tables. :lol:

Well actually Wille did offer free beer, but for some reason I dont think I was the only on in on that deal.:cool:

Is there any truth to the jello shots being color coded with different booze in each color or is that something my fuzzy brian made up?8)

BBQchef33
07-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Is there any truth to the jello shots being color coded with different booze in each color or is that something my fuzzy brian made up?8)

Who is fuzzy brian? :confused:

:mrgreen:

i was just cleaning up the trailer some more, and noticed theres no whistle in my goodie bag... how'd that happen?

I didnt get a whistle..or a tee shirt.. and i never saw a chefs packet and Willy did not check on me when i left the parking lot.. and it was hot.. and the bathroom was too far.... and and and and.............

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa. :mrgreen:

Muzzlebrake
07-24-2007, 05:24 PM

my special friend
:twisted:

Westexbbq
07-24-2007, 06:56 PM
my special friend
:twisted:

All the dark colors were vodka, eg. purple, green and navy blue; that was my side of the rainbow;
EXCEPT
the turquoise blue were the Tequila Reposado Anejo, muy bueno.
(sorry, no little tilde/accent key on the keyboard.)
Only Nick knows for sure and I heard he went to the prom with Sledneck!:razz:

Sledneck
07-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Are the results available yet?

Yakfishingfool
07-24-2007, 07:47 PM
yea...you placed thirteenth in chicken...duh!!!!

Sledneck
07-24-2007, 08:15 PM
yea...you placed thirteenth in chicken...duh!!!!
Pfft, do you think its that easy to be that consistent

SmokeInDaEye
07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Pfft, do you think its that easy to be that consistent

Can't you just be happy with Reserve Grand Champion or do I have to have you thrown out of Home Depot again, you winny ash hole?

Solidkick
07-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I guess I missed this thread over the weekend while I was in Branson for my wifes 30 year class reunion.......

Congrats to ALL the brothers that participated! This reads like it was a great little contest and the pictures are great.
Thanks!

nancee
07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
please send them our way also Eric
thanks
nancee

Are the results available yet?

Sledneck
07-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Can't you just be happy with Reserve Grand Champion or do I have to have you thrown out of Home Depot again, you winny ash hole?
I knew you were the ash-hole who complained

BTW its Reserve weiner not RGC

MrsBigBarry
07-25-2007, 06:52 AM
I sent Eric a PM early in the week, but I've not heard anything back. We really would like to see where we placed in each category.

rbsnwngs
07-25-2007, 09:09 PM

:mrgreen:

i was just cleaning up the trailer some more, and noticed theres no whistle in my goodie bag... how'd that happen?

I didnt get a whistle..or a tee shirt.. and i never saw a chefs packet and Willy did not check on me when i left the parking lot.. and it was hot.. and the bathroom was too far.... and and and and.............

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa. :mrgreen:

you what?? because of you there will be no more willie palooza and i want the big weiner trophy back.

Westexbbq
07-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Sad to hear, guess it'll go to reserve grand weiner,
(It's that Orange Blossom Special, bringin'........)
meanwhile, I too have pm'd in hopes of more scores post.

Sledneck
07-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Any news on the scores?

MilitantSquatter
07-25-2007, 09:47 PM
You guys really think we were judging and writing down scores the whole time ???

We were just using those turn ins to help Willie keep his costs down to fill the large catering order his kitchen staff was working on.

We selected winners by drawing straws.

Sledneck
07-25-2007, 09:48 PM
You guys really think we were judging and writing down scores the whole time ???

We were just using those turn ins to help Willie keep his costs down to fill the large catering order his kitchen staff was working on.

We selected winners by drawing straws.... its believable

CTSmokehouse
07-25-2007, 10:02 PM
you what because of you there will be no more willie palooza and i want the big weiner trophy back

I hope not! Forgot to mention Phil' s vodka spiked watermelon... a work of art..!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CTSmokehouse
07-25-2007, 10:05 PM

We selected winners by drawing straws.

That's exactly what I thought you guys were doin!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Joe W
07-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Willie / all-
Thanks for the great weekend and it was great meeting you.

Thanks for the advice to stay away from the Cross Island - much better ride home to CT.

Before I left I meant to purchase some of your bourboun rub to try, but wanted to follow Nancee & Greg and all of a sudden it was time to go. Would it be possible for you to bring some to Harpoon?

And I will definitely have some Tequila Cherries there.

Joe

timzcardz
07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
you what?? because of you there will be no more willie palooza and i want the big weiner trophy back.

No more Willie Palooza?

Say it ain't so!

After seeing the first Brethren only competition in the history of BBQ, I had just decided that I would compete in Willie Palooza Deja Vu, or whatever you were going to call next year's.

It's a crying shame I tell ya'.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to spend more time with my baseball cards. Hmmmm, I wonder if Cal likes Que?

P.S. Just wondering, was the "Fear the Pig" chant invoked when each of the Brethern got to walk at the awards ceremonies?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-29-2007, 04:32 PM
For those who did not get to see the trophy up close and personal. It was prominently and proudly displayed at Harpoon.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/HeSmellsLikeSmoke/Poobah.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/HeSmellsLikeSmoke/DaWeiner.jpg

Sledneck
07-30-2007, 06:03 AM
I heard a rumor that unless you get your application in for the battle of the bbq brethren at sayville in october, you dont get your williepalooza results

timzcardz
07-30-2007, 07:31 AM
NOW it is apparent why Phil went out and got himself that trailer!

He knew that he was going to need it to bring his trophy around with him!

motoeric
07-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi,

Ive been a bit ill this past week. I hope to get results to everyone that requested them by the end of this week. Sorry.

Sled, you don't get results until I get copies of the photos you took of the donations.

Eric

pigmaker23
07-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Please post the results on the forum as per the KCBS rules within 15 days of the contest

motoeric
07-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Please post the results on the forum as per the KCBS rules within 15 days of the contest

What forum does the kcbs stipulate that results should be posted on?

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
What forum does the kcbs stipulate that results should be posted on?

Eric

And since when does KCBS have any jurisdiction in this case?:mrgreen:

Sledneck
07-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Sled, you don't get results until I get copies of the photos you took of the donations.

Eric
gotcha now where are my results dammit

Sledneck
07-31-2007, 10:20 AM
I found The secret to poobahs vodka watermelon....injecting!!

Yakfishingfool
07-31-2007, 11:08 AM
That was a damn good watermelon! 'course every time he changed spots, the pressure of reloading would make all the holes leak. I was the little dutch boy with my finger in the dike....not that there's anything wrong with that...

Smokin J
07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Now if you gotta eat fruit, it might as well be soaked with alcohol! Looks good!

motoeric
07-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Check your pm's. 1/2 the results have been sent out.

Eric

motoeric
07-31-2007, 09:50 PM
I need feedback on the goodie boxes. Please let me know what you thought.

Eric

Sledneck
07-31-2007, 10:51 PM

Eric
i did not get a PM, no review until i get my results

BBQchef33
08-01-2007, 01:04 AM
yup...

in the old days, plugging a melon with a bottle of vodka the day before a party was the ticket..

but we are brethren.... Brine pumps make short work of injecting an entire bottle into a mellon in a few minutes.. You still need to remove a plug of the rind int he top, and a scoop of melon out. The remaining hole will fill up with vodka and melon juice as you inject.. it is the role of the assistant, the one with his fingers in the dyke, to drink down those "melon shots" as they appear. :)

Jorge
08-01-2007, 08:58 AM
yup...

in the old days, plugging a melon with a bottle of vodka the day before a party was the ticket..

but we are brethren.... Brine pumps make short work of injecting an entire bottle into a mellon in a few minutes.. You still need to remove a plug of the rind int he top, and a scoop of melon out. The remaining hole will fill up with vodka and melon juice as you inject.. it is the role of the assistant, the one with his fingers in the dyke, to drink down those "melon shots" as they appear. :)

Unless it's your underage son, at a BBQ contest, held at a brewery?:wink: :lol:

BBQchef33
08-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Unless it's your underage son, at a BBQ contest, held at a brewery?:wink: :lol:

oh.. in that case, u call over the closest longhorn and ask him to suck the melon.

Jorge
08-01-2007, 09:16 AM
oh.. in that case, u call over the closest longhorn and ask him to suck the melon.

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Yakfishingfool
08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
That was some excellent vodka shots!!! Would be a great flavor for vodka. Scott

BigBarry
08-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Eric

Very nice. Good assortment of BBQ-related stuff and the whistle was a great addition...

Westexbbq
08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Check your pm's. 1/2 the results have been sent out.

Eric

Sorry, no seeum pm.

motoeric
08-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Everyone but the Babylon Grillbillies should have their scores. If they send me a pm I'll forward them their scores.

Eric

CTSmokehouse
08-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Everyone but the Babylon Grillbillies should have their scores. If they send me a pm I'll forward them their scores.

Eric

Eric,

I greatly appreciate your great work. Are scores available for Chef's Choice and Chili?

Thanks,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

pigmaker23
08-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Please post the scores for all to see, thanks

Sledneck
08-13-2007, 04:23 PM
are we ever gonna get the overall scores?

Westexbbq
08-13-2007, 09:51 PM

Yeah, me too.
Still waitin'.

CTSmokehouse
08-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Eric,

We are looking for closure.....!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Solidkick
08-14-2007, 12:26 PM

You got 13th in chicken.......:tongue:

Westexbbq
08-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Notice how quickly the overall scores and details were available already for the Hudson Valley Ribfest held just last weekend........?:frown: :eek: :shock:

CTSmokehouse
08-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Notice how quickly the overall scores and details were available already for the Hudson Valley Ribfest held just last weekend........?:frown: :eek: :shock:

Yes I did... and they did a great job!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff