PDA

View Full Version : Another Bad Restaurant In Indy!

thunter
04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I got word today from a friend at work that there was a new restaurant on our side of town that has become the rave! Its called "Just Barbecue". So, I told him that I would check it out this evening since I would have some time to kill.

I went to joint, and there were two giant barrel grills outside just a smoking away. I got out of my car and I smelled lighter fluid lit charcoal - no wood at all. I went inside and met one of the owners and this was one of the nicest brothers you would ever want to meet. We carried on a little Q conversation that was sparked by my order - a small order of rib tips... No Sauce! He asked why I did not want sauce and I told him that "for me", real BBQ is identified by its flavor without sauce! He then accused me of being a Texan! :shock: Don't worry, I assured him I was from God's own state of residence - Indiana! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He brought me my order and I did not open it until I got in my car because I knew what to expect and I did not want be less than gracious with bad facial expressions and such. We talked a bit more about Q and about my all purpose rub. He wants me to bring a sample of some of my Q.

Anyway, when I got into my car and off the lot, I opened the box and I saw a box of rib meat that had been severely boiled and finished on the grill without a drop of any kind of rub anywhere! The color was tannish-grey and the meat was falling off the bones and had no flavor except a hint of fluid lit charcoal!

Again, great people who have had the courage to venture out and open a joint; and for that they deserve mega props! Only if the meat was half as good as these people were nice! :(

Anyway, I plan to take them some of my Q as promised. Who knows what will come out that!

Tony

Bill-Chicago
04-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Tony,

I am interested if you have gotten a chance to try Dick's Bodacious BBQ, who I believe not only sponsers the Carmel Comp, but claims to bring Texas BBQ to Indy.

thunter
04-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Tony,

I am interested if you have gotten a chance to try Dick's Bodacious BBQ, who I believe not only sponsers the Carmel Comp, but claims to bring Texas BBQ to Indy.

Bill, I have tried Dick's but I'm afraid the only Texas you will find in Indy is scattered around a few backyards like mine. Dick's does not deliver on the promise. Pork is ok, Brisket is ok, ribs are... Yuk! Here is what I mean by the ribs. They were obviously mass produced for volume, they had a slight smoke flavor but looked that tannish-gray as if they had been parboiled. When I saw them, me and my wife looked at each other and said almost at the same time - "what is that?". My sweetie would not touch them so she ate mostly all the brisket which was not bad but not good either!

I always advise people to try for themselves to get their own experience but if Dick's is what Texas BBQ tastes like then thank God I'm from Indy! :lol:

I do plan to try another Dick's location but in Indy, Smokey Bones has the best restaurant BBQ and that ain't much better!

Tony

Mooner
04-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Anyway, when I got into my car and off the lot, I opened the box and I saw a box of rib meat that had been severely boiled and finished on the grill without a drop of any kind of rub anywhere! The color was tannish-grey and the meat was falling off the bones and had no flavor except a hint of fluid lit charcoal! Tony

EEEEEEWWWWWWW :shock: :icon_sleepy

cmcadams
04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Sounds like someone who had family that told him his stuff was great, so he opened up a place.

TygerSmokes
04-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds like someone who had family that told him his stuff was great, so he opened up a place.
I agree. Far too often, compliments are mistaken for endorsements. Like Tony, most customers are polite enough not to embarrass the owner by telling him the truth. They just don't return. Thus, for the first month or two, business is usually good. Then, things start to dry up and eventually the place closes down. Many times, the owner is still scratching his head until the very end.

One of the best restaurant models I've seen involved a guy that opened a small space near a convenience store and all he sold was fish sandwiches. Just fried fish with white bread. No drinks, no fries, no seats, no bathroom. You ordered your sandwich, paid and picked it up, and left. If you wanted a drink or something else to go with your sandwich, you went next door. Low overhead, good food, and lines were always out the door.