PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Brethren Comp

Plowboy
04-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Seeing as the Long Island guys are doing their own comp, how about a Brethren only comp in the Midwest? KCBS rules.

I might be able to come up with facilities if folks are willing to come to the east side of Kansas City. (Blue Springs, MO)

How about June 1-2?

Mooner
04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Seeing as the Long Island guys are doing their own comp, how about a Brethren only comp in the Midwest? KCBS rules.

I might be able to come up with facilities if folks are willing to come to the east side of Kansas City. (Blue Springs, MO)

How about June 1-2?

Count me in!!

Plowboy
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
So if we do this, is it a full blown comp with standard entries or do we just do a one day comp with party on Sat night?

DeanC
04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
So if we do this, is it a full blown comp with standard entries or do we just do a one day comp with party on Sat night?

I would have to check my work schedule but if I am free, I'm in. I've never been to a one day contest, are you thinking ribs, chicken, and sausage?

Mooner
04-16-2007, 02:34 PM

It's up to you and the guys, I don't care. Who's judging?

Plowboy
04-16-2007, 02:36 PM
I would have to check my work schedule but if I am free, I'm in. I've never been to a one day contest, are you thinking ribs, chicken, and sausage?

We could do brisket in a one day comp if the times were pushed back. Ribs, chicken, brisket, beans, sausage?

It's up to you and the guys, I don't care. Who's judging?

We probably have some Brethren judges and there are plenty of CBJ's in the area. That should be be a problem.

DeanC
04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
We could do brisket in a one day comp if the times were pushed back. Ribs, chicken, brisket, beans, sausage?

Cool, I'm good either way, just have to check on the date. Let me know if power is available, lol.

Heavy D
04-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea. We'd be in. We're a bunch of newbies, and would enjoy the learning experience. Keep us posted.

Doorbusters
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Count me in Todd, (if entry isn't too high).
How you gonna go about judges?

spicewine
04-16-2007, 04:38 PM
That's the weekend right after the GAB. Don't know about us.

Spice

Pyle's BBQ
04-16-2007, 06:25 PM
That is also the weekend before the Pork Expo in Des Moines. I don't know if I could make both.

DeanC
04-16-2007, 06:29 PM
That's the weekend right after the GAB. Don't know about us.

Spice

Oops, forgot about that, thats our first comp of the year, not sure I could do the next weekend as well.

SloppyQ
04-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Gotta help out the local bar and grill for a customer appreciation cook, no can do that weekend.

beam boys bbq
04-16-2007, 09:51 PM
have an bar party june 2
count us out
york

HoDeDo
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm all for having one - But I am already booked up that weekend. I just realized that the slack I had built into my schedule is all gone. I've got 7 contests back to back, and then two weddings.... Holy Fark!!!

Platte City | 5/11-12
Okie Joes | 5/18-19
GAB | 5/25-26
Big Blue BBQ | 6/1-2
Masters BBQ | 6/8-9
LP Que | 6/15-16
Iowa ST. BBQ | 6/22-23

Plowboy
04-16-2007, 10:07 PM
What about later in the year folks? August? Lot of area comps in September and into October.

HoDeDo
04-16-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm in later in the year... A fall bash would be great. Also if that place you have in mind wouldnt be a go -- I know just the place - or - we could talk to the basswood folks about taking a group of us on. and letting us thier community building. We already know they love the BBQ folks, since they host a Mothers day weekend KCBS contest.

Rookie'48
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
That is also the weekend before the Pork Expo in Des Moines. I don't know if I could make both.

Bryan -
You cookin' or judgin' that one?
Dave

Plowboy
04-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm in later in the year... A fall bash would be great. Also if that place you have in mind wouldnt be a go -- I know just the place - or - we could talk to the basswood folks about taking a group of us on. and letting us thier community building. We already know they love the BBQ folks, since they host a Mothers day weekend KCBS contest.

Let's see what date seems better for folks and then let's talk venue, Andy. I may turn into organizer on this and not competitor. Which is okay.

I was thinking of the area that my church is in. There's the whole parking lot and grass area. We'd have water, bathrooms, air conditioning, power, and a place for judging in the coffee house. It would be perfect place. Lots of room, too. Deal is that we'd have to be cleaned up by Sunday morning, at least the main parking area.

I like the Basswood idea or similar campground idea. Blue Springs Lake has a campground as well that may work. Its easier to organize if its closer to me. Not trying to be selfish, but its true.

Doorbusters
04-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Todd, I do not know about everyone else, but I would love to have a "farewell" BBQ Comp in mid to late October. No more contests, put together a Brethren "prize list" have Bob from MoKan Meat heads DJ and have a end of year comp/awards comp/newcomer/whatever. Vesper Hall would be available. Or I like you r idea of the lake, weather should be perfect. Hell, lets get a sponsor and have a buffet with a dance and raise money for a charity. Just something to ponder

Doorbusters
04-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Todd, please maintain that selfish attitude!!

Roo-B-Q'N
04-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Depending on our schedule, Char and I could do it. Todd, come up with three dates or so and the majority available is the date. Taking on organizing a comp is a major undertaking so don't kill yourself early!

Let's keep this thread alive and see if we can pull this off.

Does the church have enough power and all for this many teams?????

River City Smokehouse
04-17-2007, 08:52 AM
We'd be unable to make it. We have a wedding to cook for that weekend.

HoDeDo
04-17-2007, 09:57 AM
I agree - If you want to organize - it is easier to do it closer. I know trying to get the polar swine together at Melvern proved challenging at times. Thank God for "on demand" conference bridges.

Also, luckily I had the camp host to run the judging and tallying - so I could kinda cook. Although Matt did MUCH more of the cooking than I did. I think it is extremly hard to cook and run one at the same time. Next year at the Polar Swine, Matt will be doing all the cooking, and I'll just be running around taking care of contest stuff.

Be as selfish as ya want, bro! Its all good.

Plowboy
04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
SloppyQ - Could we work something with the Blue Springs Elks Lodge?

SloppyQ
04-17-2007, 06:12 PM
SloppyQ - Could we work something with the Blue Springs Elks Lodge?

Thats possible, I'll be gone for a week and half at Talladega race so when I get back I'll get with Chip and the house committee and see if they are interested and what it would take to pull this off. They have all the facilities we need but I'm sure there will probably be a fee for use since it's a new building. Don't let me forget.

HoDeDo
04-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Thats possible, I'll be gone for a week and half at Talladega race so when I get back I'll get with Chip and the house committee and see if they are interested and what it would take to pull this off. They have all the facilities we need but I'm sure there will probably be a fee for use since it's a new building. Don't let me forget.

Dad, Fromholtz, Jones, I believe Jim blomberg, et. al will be out there too!
I believe they are leaving Wednesday and coming back on Monday.

IF you are in tri-oval tower, have a cold one with them for me!!! I gave up race trips for BBQ trips :wink:

DeanC
04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=I gave up race trips for BBQ trips :wink:[/QUOTE]

As much as I hate to say it, I think I would sacrifice one to go to Dega.

HoDeDo
04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I think I would sacrifice one to go to Dega.

Just not as much fun when I know going into it I don't get to watch #3 bump and run.

I mean we still have fun backing over a blown up #24 car with the golf cart and burning it on Sunday night.... but hey...:twisted:

DeanC
04-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I mean we still have fun backing over a blown up #24 car with the golf cart and burning it on Sunday night.... but hey...:twisted:

Andy, I have never met you, but you just made it onto my Christmas card list, lol. God Bless the Earnhardts, the pic's from the Nascar Cafe in Vegas, I wonder why his is pink (and a little blurry, thats how I saw it after sitting at the bar)? Plowboy, I will quit screwing up this thread now, sorry!!!!

ChipotlePat
04-18-2007, 08:56 AM
fall bash would be great

Ashmont
04-18-2007, 09:04 AM
places on the right side of Mo. Been an organizer and we have a good number of CBJs. Ashmont

we'll smoke u
04-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey todd Fall would work better for me just let us know the date and we will try to be there.

Puppyboy
04-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Fall would work best for me. If we get in a pinch, I could judge insead of cook.

Lets lock down a date ASAP so I can put in for the days off.

Jeff_in_KC
04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
At this point, for us to cook it would require it be a Saturday/Sunday contest most likely. By the time this BBQ season is over, my vacation time looks to be SHOT!

Puppyboy
04-18-2007, 08:48 PM
At this point, for us to cook it would require it be a Saturday/Sunday contest most likely. By the time this BBQ season is over, my vacation time looks to be SHOT!

I would agree a Sat & Sun would be better.

HoDeDo
04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Or it could be a Sat. Evening turn-in.... Start early Sat. morning, turn in during the evening, then party til Sun. morning!

Greatgrills
04-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Or it could be a Sat. Evening turn-in.... Start early Sat. morning, turn in during the evening, then party til Sun. morning!

Works for us...Cant do one if the turn in is on Sunday...Have to have a little time to recover:-P

Plowboy
04-18-2007, 10:39 PM

That's what I was thinking. Folks could set up Friday night or early Sat morning and then Sat evening turn in. You could go home Sat night or Sun morning.

I'll look at some more fall-ish dates.

Location will be interesting. Closer to KC could draw some of our Okie, Nebraska, and South Dakota friends. Closer to St Louis could draw more Illinois, Kentucky and Ill friends. Center Missouri folks from Columbia, Jeff City, etc is probably a toss up either direction. Wonder if Columbia might draw a mix of both. How far are people willing to travel to come?

Greatgrills
04-18-2007, 10:45 PM
That's what I was thinking. Folks could set up Friday night or early Sat morning and then Sat evening turn in. You could go home Sat night or Sun morning.

I'll look at some more fall-ish dates.

Location will be interesting. Closer to KC could draw some of our Okie, Nebraska, and South Dakota friends. Closer to St Louis could draw more Illinois, Kentucky and Ill friends. Center Missouri folks from Columbia, Jeff City, etc is probably a toss up either direction. Wonder if Columbia might draw a mix of both. How far are people willing to travel to come?

If you build it they will come:-P No matter where it is at if the weekend will work for us we will be there. Off the subject what time are you all planning on getting to Marshall?

Puppyboy
04-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I think this is a very good idea. Set up Friday afternoon/evening and get an early start on Saturday.

How far are people willing to travel to come?

For me, the KC area would be best. Columbia is just a tad bit out of my reach.

Plowboy
04-18-2007, 10:52 PM
If you build it they will come:-P No matter where it is at if the weekend will work for us we will be there. Off the subject what time are you all planning on getting to Marshall?

Early afternoon. I've got a thing with my oldest son at his pre-school in the morning: Donuts with Daddy. He'll be coming with me, so once that is over, we'll hitch up our camper and head that way. Stopping in Warrensburg on the way to get our meat from Alewel's. Randy will be mid afternoon I'm thinking with his rig. He's got a full morning at the farm.

We have two Master Judges in training joining us for the weekend. Apparently it is part of the Master Judge process to cook with a team at a contest. Stop by and pick their brain. We are looking forward to the direct feedback as are they.

Can't wait to see you guys again and have a beer.

Greatgrills
04-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Early afternoon. I've got a thing with my oldest son at his pre-school in the morning: Donuts with Daddy. He'll be coming with me, so once that is over, we'll hitch up our camper and head that way. Stopping in Warrensburg on the way to get our meat from Alewel's. Randy will be mid afternoon I'm thinking with his rig. He's got a full morning at the farm.

We have two Master Judges in training joining us for the weekend. Apparently it is part of the Master Judge process to cook with a team at a contest. Stop by and pick their brain. We are looking forward to the direct feedback as are they.

Can't wait to see you guys again and have a beer.

We cooked with a guy that was getting his Master Judge, broke his cherry at the Royal, I wont be able to get there until later in the evening. I was trying to get someone to help Mark at least get up the tents. If you see Mark having problems getting up tents please HELP...You going to have any more of that brie cheese??????

We are bringing our kids to the contest..It is a good contest to bring the young ones.

Plowboy
04-18-2007, 11:03 PM
We cooked with a guy that was getting his Master Judge, broke his cherry at the Royal, I wont be able to get there until later in the evening. I was trying to get someone to help Mark at least get up the tents. If you see Mark having problems getting up tents please HELP...You going to have any more of that brie cheese??????

We are bringing our kids to the contest..It is a good contest to bring the young ones.

If Mark's having problems getting it up... I ain't going to be able to help. :eek: Sorry.

For you... THERE WILL BE BRIE!!! :-D

PigBoy
04-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a good day to play in the creek on Sat. Can't wait to see you all. Been a long week, ready to have some fun! In fact, I need to get back to work.

PigBoy
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
If Mark's having problems getting it up... I ain't going to be able to help. :eek: Sorry.

For you... THERE WILL BE BRIE!!! :-D

What he said!

Greatgrills
04-18-2007, 11:12 PM
What he said!

You all are all sick:mad: You know what I mean

PigBoy
04-18-2007, 11:16 PM
You all are all sick:mad: You know what I mean

In a good way!:icon_blush:

Kung Fu BBQ
04-19-2007, 05:58 AM
This is a great idea, fall sounds better than summer. Too much already going on. Not to mention I'll have hit full stride by then, well versed in the style known as... Kung Fu BBQ!!!!!!

Ashmont
04-19-2007, 07:15 AM
If we had one on each side of the state that same weekend then the top three (6 total) compete in Columbia on another date for the overall winners. Just a thought that way we pull for all the states mentioned earlier. Ashmont

Fredbird
04-19-2007, 09:38 AM

Team Q will be there mid-morning. We'll be glad to help Mark with his tents. Just look for the "Will Work For Beer" sign!:lol:

Bellybro
04-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Columbia works good! Or Hallsville is even better!

HoDeDo
04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Team Q will be there mid-morning. We'll be glad to help Mark with his tents. Just look for the "Will Work For Beer" sign!:lol:

John's gonna help Mark Pitch a tent..... pass it on!!! :shock:

Ok,Ok.... off to my room I go...

VGuilford
04-20-2007, 12:30 PM
I'd be more likely to attend if it were close to KC area. If I had to I could get someone to cover my on call.

Roo-B-Q'N
07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
ok I am going to ressurect this thread to see where we all stand on this and if it is still a possibility.

Thoughts?

Puppyboy
07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I was wondering about this myself.

Plowboy
07-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Maybe we could piggyback on the Spicewine contest that was being discussed. Don't know how, but seems like setting dates is tough, for this year anyway.