PDA

View Full Version : The Autry!

Bigmista
04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
The Autry is exactly one week away. First Cali contest this season. Am I the only one that's excited?

icemn62
04-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I am not competing, but I am excited. 1st contest I will be able to attend.

The_Kapn
04-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Neil,
What and where is the Autry ???
Inquiring minds want to know. :oops:

TIM

Bigmista
04-06-2007, 02:53 PM
The Gene Autry museum is hosting BBQ'n at the Autry.

Arlieque is the promoter. Here are the details:

http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/bbq.php

TygerSmokes
04-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Neil,

Your numbers last year were respectable:

Overall: 19th
Ribs: 5th
Pork: 22nd
Chicken: 23rd
Brisket: 22nd
Sauce: 17th
Anything But: 9th

With your improved skills, I expect to see higher finishes in the ribs and brisket. I've see pictures of your Q, and I think you can become the rib champion!

icemn62
04-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Looking forward top seeing team 4 Q walk in ribs, and brisket if nothing else. I have not personally seen samples of thier other products.

Bigmista
04-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Here is our 1st place pork

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/118/295512151_c32d0285db.jpg?v=0

And our 3rd place chicken
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/295511948_7a186c40bb.jpg?v=0

I think we will do a little better in all categories.

HoDeDo
04-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm excited for you too!! Since I know how you feel. Osage City is next weekend also - and that is the first real contest of the season around here. I'm also stoked!!!

Bigmista
04-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I am bursting at the seams! And I have a lot of seams!!

Bentley
04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Neil,

Your numbers last year were respectable:

Overall: 19th
Ribs: 5th
Pork: 22nd
Chicken: 23rd
Brisket: 22nd
Sauce: 17th
Anything But: 9th

With your improved skills, I expect to see higher finishes in the ribs and brisket. I've see pictures of your Q, and I think you can become the rib champion!

Sorry Neil, but the 1st in Ribs will be going to Me!:razz:

Bigmista
04-06-2007, 06:09 PM
You will have to talk to Porfessor Salt about that. I'll be busy taking the brisket trophy!

Jaybird
04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Dang, you guys are gonna be tough to beat this year!

See ya in a few days.

Bigmista
04-09-2007, 03:46 PM

See ya in a few days.

Humility at it's best from last year's Grand Champion!

icemn62
04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Humility at it's best from last year's Grand Champion!

See ya in a few days.

Smack talk in the West Coast BBQ World . . . .

Bigmista
04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Hard to talk smack when you genuinely like everybody.

big brother smoke
04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Damn I am fishing this weekend otherwise this was going to be my first contest. I can't believe I just said that about going fishing! Must be because the targeted species ain't biting good! Have fun guys!

ThomEmery
04-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey I will be in the CBBQA Booth stop by and say Hi
yes its going to be a good one

Bigmista
04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Anybody coming to visit, be sure to bring a chair.

grillfella
04-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Hey bigmista can I sneak in a 12pack or do we have to pay stadium prices for beer?

swamprb
04-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Neil-Offhand do you know how many teams are using BDS's at the Autrey? I see Jaybird has them in his lineup, do you see many drums in SoCal?

Brian

Bigmista
04-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Hey bigmista can I sneak in a 12pack or do we have to pay stadium prices for beer?

I encourage you bring beer!

Neil-Offhand do you know how many teams are using BDS's at the Autrey? I see Jaybird has them in his lineup, do you see many drums in SoCal?

Brian

I've never seen one in competition besides mine. I think Jay started using his recently but He didn't have it with him last year that I remember...

icemn62
04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Anybody coming to visit, be sure to bring a chair.

Thanks for the tip. Will be needing a few chairs, seems the wife, son, daughter, grandkid, and of course myself will be coming. I am looking forward to seeing my first contest, the rest are going to be going to Griffith Park when they lose interest. I should have the boy eat in the rib eating contest and watch him chew up somebody elses money.

See you on Saturday.

Bigmista
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
It's almost here! WOO-HOO!

bbqbull
04-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Good luck to the brethren teams!

Bigmista
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Wrok is over! It's all about the cooking now!!!

Oldbob
04-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Best of Luck to all the Brethren Teams!! I Hope You all Bring back Lots of Pictures,along with the trophys.

Bentley
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Loading the trailer...hope the fricken wind lets up or were gonna be buying another new EZ-UP!

icemn62
04-13-2007, 05:29 AM
Today is start day? Congrats to all the of Brethren Teams. Hope i get a chance to meet you all on Saturday as you work your magic in prep to form a Brethren line of walking the stage.

Smokin Gator
04-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Best of luck to all...

Bentley
04-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Had a blast at the Autry, get to meet new teams and people each year! BigMista beat me in Brisket today, that will be a tough one to live down! :-P

Got spanked like a red headed stepchild today, 25th in ribs, 13th in pork, 21st in brisket out of 32 teams...but my sister Kristin, whom I will mention you good brothers helped with her chicken a few weeks back, goes Large and scores a big 2nd in Chicken and the $500 check, cha-ching, two more contest please!...Atta Boy Sis!

We finished 14th overall, I was very disappointed with my ribs score, did not think they were prefect but I have never finished 25th in ribs ever. Ces't la vie. Kristin ask me to express her gradtitue for your help in her achiving her goal to finish in the Top 5 in chicken in 2007, not bad to accomplish your goal in the 1st contest of the year!

icemn62
04-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Had made plans with the family a week ago to attend the Autry. I had never been to a comp, and was really looking forward to seeing all the goings on.

1. pregnant daughter is sick, so we had to baby sit the 1st grandchild.
2. had to wait for him to get up from his nap, while mommy went to emergency room
3. mommy is okay, but now on bedrest (happened last pregnancy)
4. got lost getting to the event
5. argueing with wife over directions while driving around lost

But I finally get there. A lot of people, and we alrady missed turn ins. Got a chance to chat with Mista, he was TIRED. Saw bently was going to go over and say hi, but his royal majesty, Sir Grandchild the First wanted to play and needed to have some energy ran off.

Stayed to hear the judging announcements. Was standing next to the team which happened to win RGC. I could tell everyone had lots of fun. Mista still looked tired as I left to take he who is learning to use the bathroom to the restrooms and home.

I do not have the bug to compete, but Ican see why those of you who do it, do. You seem to have a lotta of fun and nothing is better than smoking meats, unless it is sitting around with a bunch of others who love to do it as well.

ThomEmery
04-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Great event Arlie did a super job on this

Bigmista
04-15-2007, 11:42 AM
...and sometimes the bear gets you.

As far as awards go, it wasn't a good day for Four Q. But as far as competitions go, we had a ball! This was a fun competition from start to finish.

I'm getting ready for church right now so I will tell you more later but here is part of Four Q's tv debut:

http://video.ktla.com/global/video/flash/flashvideoplayer.asp?playerName=miniplayer.swf&playerHeight=575&topVideoCatNo=72695&autoStart=false&mute=false

ThomEmery
04-15-2007, 02:12 PM
How many of you watched the Elementary School Principal have a lack of principals video?

TygerSmokes
04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm getting ready for church right now so I will tell you more later but here is part of Four Q's tv debut:

http://video.ktla.com/global/video/f...e& mute=false (http://video.ktla.com/global/video/flash/flashvideoplayer.asp?playerName=miniplayer.swf&playerHeight=575&topVideoCatNo=72695&autoStart=false&mute=false)
Neil,

That is a great video. You actually were funny.:-D

MrSmoker
04-15-2007, 04:40 PM
How many of you watched the Elementary School Principal have a lack of principals video?
Yup, had to take a peek:roll:

ThomEmery
04-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Brent did a good job on camera

ThomEmery
04-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Smoker Nice Avatar

Bigmista
04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
So we get out to the Autry about 5:30am to get setup because I want to have something cooking by the time the tv spot happens. Well it took us almost half an hour to find our spot. Arlie said he had marked it so we could find it. Do you have any idea how had it is to find red paint on green grass in the dark?

Once we find our spot, my son and I unload our stuff and get the ez-up set up and I start a fire in the barrel. The rest of my team starts to show up between 6 and 6:30 and they start unloading too. The tv crew arrives and tells us that the they will be shooting up by the building. About 200 yards away. They want it to look like Saturday. So they tell to move our stuff all the way up there. Peachy.

So we get setup again, and they start shooting the teasers. According to Gayle (Anderson) we are supposed to be farting around in the background. I make it a point to inform her that I am very good at farting and will make her proud.

When the get around to the first segment, it's a guy named Tom Perini who is a chuck wagon cook. I'm thinking, chuck wagon...barbecue...it's a stretch but because we are at the Autry museum of Western Heritage, I'll go with it. So Gayle starts interviewing this guy and asks him how he prepares his ribs. He said he sprinkles some salt and pepper on them and sticks them in the oven for two hours. Then he mixes up some molasses and PACE PICANTE SAUCE brushes it on as a glaze and puts it back in the oven.

:shock:

California BBQ finally gets recognized on tv and the first thing they show is somebody cooking ribs in an oven. That's gotta help our reputation.

So Gayle calls our team over to taste the ribs on camera. People that say that part said it really looked like I was enjoying that rib. I told them,

I WAS ACTING!!!

Those were some of the most awful ribs I had in my life!!! And not only were they bad, unpeeled and tough, they were ice cold! I should get an Oscar.

The next segment was the one I linked to in my previous post with Brent Walton from QN4U. Brent's Pork Butt was really good. I didn't have to act for that one. If you look at it you will also see my son knocking over one of my teammates to get to the Pork. We were all pretty hungry by then and we couldn't really eat the fatties I was making because we needed them for the next segment.

More tales from the Autry in a bit. I have to go take my son back to Palmdale...

Bigdog
04-15-2007, 06:17 PM
So what happened with the fatty video? Did you get to say fatty on the air? She sure didn't seem to like the "rub his butt" comment.:shock: Pace on ribs. Fark.:evil:

big brother smoke
04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
More you farker, more.....:biggrin:

Bigmista
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
So what happened with the fatty video? Did you get to say fatty on the air? She sure didn't seem to like the "rub his butt" comment.:shock: Pace on ribs. Fark.:evil:

As a matter of fact, I did! In the next segment, Gayle was going around to the different sites asking what we were cooking. I told her I was Smoking Fatties! She played the shocked role. I told her what it was and that it was heaven in your mouth. One of my teammates had par-baked some bagels at home and then finished them on the grill. They really got a kick out of that. Afterwards we ate fatties on homemade east coast bagels. That was good!

Gayle was really bossy during the shooting but I guess that comes from being your own director and producer. Afterwards, we talked for 20 minutes about BBQ and Texas. Nice lady away from work.

So we finally schleped all of our stuff back to our original area and got everything setup. Then I got started on my really important task. I got in my zero-gravity chair and took a nap!

Once I woke up a lot of the teams had arrived and I proceeded to go around to talk to folks. This is always one of the best parts to me. You get to go and greet folks that you haven't seen in a while and you sit down and catch up.

Friday evening was the Anything Butt Southwestern Dish turn in. Our dish was Tri-Tip with Ancho Chile glaze and Cilantro-Jalapeno sauce. We came in 4th with that.

I had been talking to Jaybird from the Otis and the Bird team and since we were right next to each other, we decided to do a joint dinner. Jay made fried chicken and we made bbq beans cole slaw and corn along with the tri-tip that we didn't turn in. You talk about a great meal!!!

If you are ever anywhere near Arizona, do your best to bribe Jay into frying you some chicken. That was the best fried chicken I have ever had in my life. And I have eaten a lot of fried chicken. It was amazing. Crunchy and seasoned well on the outside. tender and juicy on the inside. I told Jay's wife to watch her back because I was ready to bump her off and marry Jay myself! Of course we ended up sharing with everyone in the area and we got to taste food from other teams too. We had shrimp from Dueling Bubbas, Italian Sausage fatties from Bentley, etc...

You gotta love BBQ folks. Everybody is so generous and friendly.

Gotta get some workk done. I'll post more in a bit...

Bigdog
04-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Way to go Neil. The name fatty is a Brethern creation so when ever you hear it or see it, you know that it has a Brethren connection. Someday it may even make it to mainstream usage.8-)

Bigmista
04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Results

Chicken
1. The Pit Stop BBQ
2. Burnt By the Best (Bentley)
3. Addicted to Rub
4. Sug's Shack
5. All Hog's go to Heaven

Ribs
1. QN4U
2. Gourmet Grills One Smoke
3. Dueling Bubbas
4. Midwestern Heritage BBQ
5. Asleep at the Grill

Pork
1. Sug's Shack
2. BBQ by Dan
3. Dueling Bubbas
4. 155 South Bar-B-Q
5. QN4U

Brisket
1. BLQUE Cutting Edge QN
2. Tropical heat
3. Sug's Shack
4. Dueling Bubbas
5. Asleep at the Grill

GC: Sug's Shack
RGC: Dueling Bubbas

Congrats to the winners!

Solidkick
04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the excellent report Mista! Almost makes you feel like we were there with you! nice job!

Bentley
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Wish I could take credit for second place chicken, but I had nothing to do with it, I saw dogs that walked away from my pork, ribs and brisket! :mad:

Bigmista
04-16-2007, 06:19 PM
At least you weren't DAL in dessert! And with all of those fancy desserts out there, the winner was lemon squares?

grillfella
04-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Just wanted to say I had a wonderful time at my first bbq competition as a spectator

Single Fin Smoker
04-17-2007, 02:35 AM
Bently if you saw dogs walk away from your ribs, brisket and pork its cuz they were afraid of you.

Neil, Sauly emailed me the Channel 5 news thing last Friday nite. You were handsom if not debonair in your Bretheren lid. If you run into Galye Anderson again, tell her I'd like to fart on her head. I'm glad to know somebody makes a chittier rib than me.

Sounds like ya'll had good time.

parrothead
04-17-2007, 06:48 AM
If you run into Galye Anderson again, tell her I'd like to fart on her head.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

YankeeBBQ
04-17-2007, 06:54 AM
The guy in this link didn't think much of the contest http://tinyurl.com/yujnhz

*Language Warning*

icemn62
04-17-2007, 07:37 AM
That guy was looking for free food. Another reason why it is so hard for the BBQ world to get into the mainstream here on the west coast. Ribs with pace salsa :confused:

Bigmista
04-17-2007, 09:23 AM

*Language Warning*

This was my response on that site.

I was one of the competitors at the Autry and I'd like to make a few points.

1. I am a weekend caterer and even if I could get some type of provisional health permit, I wouldn't be cause I don't have the resources to feed the masses FOR FREE!

2. If I go to a basketball game, I don't expect to play. If I go to a Nascar race, I don't expect to drive. If I go to a BBQ competition, I don't expect to eat. Hence the word "spectator".

3. I know for a fact that there are no sanctioned BBQ competitions in California where the competitors sell to the public. The closest one is the Reno Rib Burn in Nevada. So I am curious as to what other competition you went to where you observed this "storied tradition of bbq cookoffs".

4. There are several bbq sanctioning bodies and societies around the country like the KCBS, IBCA, CBBQA and the BBQ-Brethren.com where you can learn facts about competitions and BBQ instead of just being angry about what you "think" it should be.

5. One last thing, I thought that some of the spectators where very rude and man actually came into our area and stole some meat despite the sign saying we couldn't give out samples. I'm probably lucky that my teammates wouldn't give me a knife because I probably would have cut him for disrespecting me like that. The competitors cook all night to turn in the best BBQ the possibly can. It is a labor of love and it pisses most competitors off to have people come around just looking for a free meal. The funny thing is, most competitors would probably break the rules and give some one a sample if they came around asking questions and were generally interested in BBQ and the competition. If you could talk to Kobe Bryant during a basketball game, would you ask him for a free jersey?

icemn62
04-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Good point, I really think he is someone who has no clue of what to expect and thought I am gonna get a free meal. The add for the contest I saw called it a BBQ competition and Festival. I was not looking for free anything, except some free advice, and a chance to get some free tips if we could have made it in time to see the "competition."

icemn62
04-17-2007, 10:00 AM
I get the feeling from reading the last few posts in response that the Brethren are giving this guy true answers.

Bentley
04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
You are dead on Mista!

Bigmista
04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
For anyone that is interested, BBQ Dan has osted all of the results from the Autry and also has pictures and a write up on the event. You can see them here:

http://www.bbqdan.com/events/bbqn_at_the_autry-2007/autry-write-up.html

arlieque
04-17-2007, 02:40 PM
That person is low class at the best, bunch of people looking for hand outs. Seem they do this at several food events! Cant please every one!

Jorge
04-17-2007, 04:36 PM

*Language Warning*

I saw a few names that were familiar.

Bigmista
04-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Here's how I responded to a few posts after mine...

William said: "I don't think it's so much the possibility of getting free food that was upsetting as was the impossibility of buying any of the BBQ being cooked. You can't compare NASCAR or a basketball game to a BBQ cook-off. You know why? Because I bet you that you can't drive a NASCAR car like any of those guys and I bet you can't play basketball like any of those players. On the contrary, I bet most of us can eat BBQ just as well as any judges!
It's food, it's made to be eaten. Why would a "spectator" come to watch a cook-off if they won't have access to any of it?"

You said it yourself. You are spectator. You came to see.
BBQ contests are always looking for cerified judges. If you are serious about being a judge, you can go to kcbs.us or cbbqa.com to find out when the next local judging class is. Then you can show off your judging skills all over California and people can come to see you.
As to BBQ Cookoffs not being like NASCAR or the NBA. You are correct. I can't drive or play ball like the professionals. But then again, they can't cook like me. And this is a COOK-OFF not an EAT-OFF. People don't come to see the referees, they come to see the players so you being able to eat like any of the judges is a moot point.

K said: "I don't think those who arrived at the Autry were expecting "something for nothing". Cook-offs & competitions in Michigan allowed "sampling" with a simple 5 food tickets/$5 exchange. So it CAN be done."

Yes it can be done. But most competitors wouldn't want to do it. It's hard enough to cook all night and turn in product that is at it's peak in a 10-minute window for four different types of meat.
Now imagine doing that while trying to hand out samples to the crowd. Most teams are only one or two people and would not be able to afford it or even if they could they wouldn't have the manpower.
Using the example from before, how could Kobe score 50 point if he had to stop playing every few minutes to sell peanuts to the crowd?

Bentley
04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
"Using the example from before, how could Kobe score 50 point if he had to stop playing every few minutes to sell peanuts to the crowd?"

That hit the spot, for anyone old enought to know Cheech & Chong, reminds me of "Basketball Jones", he does everything but sell the popcorn!

ThomEmery
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
We added a Peoples Choice Rib Burn to the www.stagecoachfestival.com event just so we could give the crowd a chance to be a part of the action
Really had a nice time at the Autry I felt cared for concerning the loss of my Mom. BBQ guys and gals are the best We had some very nice folks at the
QN4U booth I was at. The Guys review of the event is just silly Who in their right mind thinks he is going to get his fill of BBQ for $9.00?

Sylvie
04-17-2007, 11:11 PM
At least you weren't DAL in dessert! And with all of those fancy desserts out there, the winner was lemon squares?

Ouch!

Bigmista
04-18-2007, 06:46 PM
It was ouch for me you. We are a team. We win and lose together.

Lemons squares. Sheesh.