PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Joe's BBQ, St. John, USVI

Ron_L
04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
We took a family vacation to St. John in the US Virgin Islands last week. St. John is a beautiful island that is mostly National Park. We spent a lot of time at the beach and snorkeling and had a blast despite cloudy and rainy weather. One of the highlights was dinner one night from Uncle Joe's BBQ in the main town of Cruz Bay. Uncle Joe's is the quintessential BBQ place. It is a shack on a street corner with no sign, just a great aroma to guide you to the place. They serve rib (spares) and chicken and the sides change daily. We had three rib/chicken combos with a mix of slaw, macaroni salad, red beans and rice and corn. We were there in the evening so they weren't cooking, but it looked like they have a smokehouse built out of brick. The chicken and ribs were sauced and reheated on an open fire grill. The food wasn't competition standard, but it was very good. The chicken had nice, crispy skin and a great flavor and the ribs were meaty and tender.

There is another BBQ place on the island (Candi's), but we didn't have a chance to try it. We did drive to the other end of the island to Coral Bay and Skinny Legs and had a fantastic burger. Truly a cheeseburger in paradise! We also went to Vie's Snack Shack, a small shack run my a former Miss USVI who serves some of the best fried chicken I have ever tasted along with killer conch fritters.

If you want to see the pictures from our trip, here is a link...

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/St%20John%20USVI%20March%202007/?start=all

MilitantSquatter
04-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Ronelle,

Great pics !!!! I could sure use a nice vacation like that, especially seeing how nice your vacation seemed....

brdbbq
04-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Someone has to ask any nakid beaches ?

Westexbbq
04-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Outstanding pictures, like a travelogue for those of us to live it vicariously!
Thanks!

Ron_L
04-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Someone has to ask any nakid beaches ?

There is one beach that people use as "clothing optional" but technically public nudity is illegal. We didn't get to the clothing optional beach so I can't comment on the scenery :rolleyes: